• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Martha is dead to be censored/edited on PlayStation platforms, PC and Xbox unaffected.

nikolino840

I see no defacing of dead people. That doesn't excuse Sony, but use better comparisons. There is a specific reason why this game was modified and it wasn't violence. It was slowly mutilating a dead person by removing their face. Why is that hard to understand?
What about killing Animals or the cock fight in far cry 6? Do you agree with the peta?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Playstation is not a store. If sony opened their platform up to other storefronts, maybe* you would have a point... If I could buy the uncensored game on some other store and still play it on my imaginary ps5 you might be right, but you can't. If you have a ps5 you are fucked. There is no other store you can buy it on. You would have to buy a different platform first.
Playstation is more like a country than a store. You would have to emigrate to get the game.

*But this argument is pretty bad either way. Just because you can get something uncensored somewhere else doesn't mean that it has not been censored at the place you can't get it at.
Comparing emigrating countries to just buying a different console or a PC, available at.. stores, is far greater stretch than me calling the Playstation a store lol

edit: That's not to say you don't have a point, in that it's a bigger cost for you to "shop elsewhere" than to simply go to a different store, but it's still not suppressing the work itself from being released.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I watched a lot of horror movies back in the day. I was even already watching Braindead (Evil Alive) and Evil Dead when I was a child, but there have to be some boundaries, as a father of 2 I cannot call it art anymore to remove a child's face and even play that segment.

I grew up in Germany (now living already 13 years in Japan), so I hated censorship from the start and normally had to import American versions of games and movies. I actually still do for some games, since censorship in Japan is also big, but in this specific case I am happy that Sony took action and makes me kind of angry about Microsoft, that they just don't care...

Perhaps I am overreacting here, but I am sure if you will have children one day, you will also feel different about this kind of stuff.

1.) Its not a child. Do some research before you parrot misinformation.
2.) Its designed to be horrific and gross you out. You are not supposed to find it fun, entertaining, or cool. It is literally designed to make you sick and disturbed at the scene. Y'know, as any horror should. Meanwhile we have games out there are are far *more* violent and revel in it. Everything shown in this game is not anyworse than things you would find in PT, TLOU2, or Mortal Kombat as quick examples.
3.) Stop your virtue signaling. If you don't like it, fine. Don't play it. Don't go crying that 'Microsoft' doesn't care. Its a damn video game. It is fiction. You being a parent means literally nothing in this discussion and yes, you are absolutely overreacting.

'Sony censorship is a myth' was the best joke I ever heard since 'Niche-Man'. Keep the thread going guys.

It is abundantly clear that they are just trolls at this point. No sane person looks at this and thinks "oh yea, censorship is good!"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is anyone still buying this on PS4? Besides all this talk about cut content. I watched the scene on the internet, so it’s not like I’m gonna miss a whole lot.

nikolino840

1.) Its not a child. Do some research before you parrot misinformation.
2.) Its designed to be horrific and gross you out. You are not supposed to find it fun, entertaining, or cool. It is literally designed to make you sick and disturbed at the scene. Y'know, as any horror should. Meanwhile we have games out there are are far *more* violent and revel in it. Everything shown in this game is not anyworse than things you would find in PT, TLOU2, or Mortal Kombat as quick examples.
3.) Stop your virtue signaling. If you don't like it, fine. Don't play it. Don't go crying that 'Microsoft' doesn't care. Its a damn video game. It is fiction. You being a parent means literally nothing in this discussion and yes, you are absolutely overreacting.

FTFY.

It is abundantly clear that they are just trolls at this point. No sane person looks at this and thinks "oh yea, censorship is good!"
Or postal Is pretty sick

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Or postal Is pretty sick

Yep, Postal. Hatred. Both games are all about being as disgusting and violent as possible. Both are rated M. Which is why I believe these people to be just trolls. No one can be this overly sensitive and easily triggered and actually mean it, unless they are from REeeeee/Twitter.

GHound

2b0.png

Anyone keeping score yet?

Topher

Gold Member

Who said that? Yeah....call me a clown all you want if that makes you feel like whatever you desperately need to feel like, but be an adult and show me where I said that.

What about killing Animals or the cock fight in far cry 6? Do you agree with the peta?

No idea how that is comparable.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yep, Postal. Hatred. Both games are all about being as disgusting and violent as possible. Both are rated M. Which is why I believe these people to be just trolls. No one can be this overly sensitive and easily triggered and actually mean it, unless they are from REeeeee/Twitter.
Did you miss the part where I said I'd love it if every digital store allowed anything legal and that I wish Sony had looser policies (or more even enforcement at least)?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I see no defacing of dead people. That doesn't excuse Sony, but use better comparisons. There is a specific reason why this game was modified and it wasn't violence. It was slowly mutilating a dead person by removing their face. Why is that hard to understand?
So should Texas Chainsaw Massacre be banned off Netflix as well? thats literally the whole gimmik of Leatherface.

4f6817cf0545f5c644861b5ae861cdfe06596d38.jpg

This shit is so common place in horror movies. Again. When will video games grow up? When will the medium allow artists to be artists and do what they want?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So should Texas Chainsaw Massacre be banned off Netflix as well? thats literally the whole gimmik of Leatherface.

4f6817cf0545f5c644861b5ae861cdfe06596d38.jpg

No, it should not. I guess you missed the parts where I repeatedly said Sony was wrong here. But at least you found a comparable example. Progress....I guess.

Did you miss the part where I said I'd love it if every digital store allowed anything legal and that I wish Sony had looser policies (or more even enforcement at least)?

Nah....this is all just stupid rage now.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Who said that? Yeah....call me a clown all you want if that makes you feel like whatever you desperately need to feel like, but be an adult and show me where I said that.

No idea how that is comparable.
Why Is not comparable? If you feel absurd all the social Justice against animals in videogames becouse are videogames why not the skin face minigame 🤷

nikolino840

There's also weird things in Yakuza like playing the Russian roulette in a parking lot or speaking about BDSM in fronts of some Kids in a playground :D

Boglin

I'm not reading through 14 pages but please tell me no one is actually defending this.

this is hilariously stupid. glad I don't have to worry about it.
Through the arguments in these 14 pages I've learned that I'm out of touch. I'm honestly shocked to learn that so many people find that cutting the face off of a corpse in a horror video game is viewed as going too far but slicing the throat open of a person begging you for their life in TLOU2 is seen as perfectly fine.

The scene in this game is far more tolerable for me than it is for me to see things involving killing, dismembering, torturing or just generally causing pain in living people and I'm absolutely not someone who can stomach watching things like the SAW movies or Hostel.

The countless more brutal acts towards living people in other games, like some in this compilation video below for example, makes me feel far more squeamish but I'm obviously the odd one out and things have evolved so ending lives in horrific ways isn't viewed as taboo at all in games. People seem to save their decency to protect the corpses.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

There is a scene where you
apparently cut off a childs face and wear it
Okay, yeah, I think I could personally live without that shit. I even wish I had not clicked on your spoiler, though I do appreciate you sharing the information.

Jesus Christ!

Not gonna disparage Sony for this one.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is anyone still buying this on PS4? Besides all this talk about cut content. I watched the scene on the internet, so it’s not like I’m gonna miss a whole lot.

The devs didn’t say what are getting censored. Right now its all speculation. There’re more

gela94

I watched a lot of horror movies back in the day. I was even already watching Braindead (Evil Alive) and Evil Dead when I was a child, but there have to be some boundaries, as a father of 2 I cannot call it art anymore to remove a child's face and even play that segment.

I grew up in Germany (now living already 13 years in Japan), so I hated censorship from the start and normally had to import American versions of games and movies. I actually still do for some games, since censorship in Japan is also big, but in this specific case I am happy that Sony took action and makes me kind of angry about Microsoft, that they just don't care...

Perhaps I am overreacting here, but I am sure if you will have children one day, you will also feel different about this kind of stuff.
Well, I have a son he is still a toddler but clearly this game is not for children. And as long as removing someones face is not glorified and seen as something good, I'm ok with it. Not because it's art but because it tells a story.

rubenburgt

I'm shocked to read how many people are defending this nonsense.
Ita a freaking horror game. It is meant to disturb you.

Christ, just how sensitive are you?
You could, you know, not buy it.

And it's also not targeted to young kids either. Just do your freaking job as a parent and keep an eye on your kid. That's called parenting.

And screw Sony for censoring games on their consoles.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

And it's also not targeted to young kids either. Just do your freaking job as a parent and keep an eye on your kid. That's called parenting.

Yep. Legit fucking crazy town. Hence why I have to believe they are trolls. No one can be that sad to actually try and defend it and act like it *isn't* censorship. When you see people who do, its clear that they should never be taken seriously. On par with the console warriors and twitter followers on the "do not take serious" scale.

Last edited:

Mabdia

LMAO this is perfect
Sadly this truly is perfect.
Until Dawn

This makes things even more funny (disgusting).
Yep. Legit fucking crazy town. Hence why I have to believe they are trolls. No one can be that sad to actually try and defend it and act like it *isn't* censorship. When you see people who do, its clear that they should never be taken seriously. On par with the console warriors and twitter followers on the "do not take serious" scale.
Well... I just can't doubt how blind (and (I'm being really kind when choosing the word blind) people can be nowadays.

ManaByte

Gold Member

After the Martha is Dead controversy our very own davidjaffe davidjaffe makes a good point about how Cyberpunk 2077 has just as offensive stuff in it, but without being touched by Sony. He explains how A LOT more people are going to be playing Cyberpunk 2077 than will ever play Martha is Dead, but the smaller indie game is censored but the big budget million seller isn't?

sainraja

Has there been an official statement by Sony/PlayStation on this?
I am interested in seeing how they are planning on justifying this.

There is more to this than meets the eye, me thinks.

johnny depp salute GIF

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Until Dawn

for some reason, this is more tame, compared to that one.

I think the action of a gamer, doing this kill live, without animation clip is vomiting. Then again, i enjoyed jigsaw alot, so I dont have normal senses anymore.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Has there been an official statement by Sony/PlayStation on this?
I am interested in seeing how they are planning on justifying this.

There is more to this than meets the eye, me thinks.

johnny depp salute GIF

There isn't. Its cut and dry needless censorship. It has been stated ad nauseum in this thread with plenty of reasons why.

Gankthenew

Omg did it have an exposed breast??? God forbid the children see that. Give them more zombie decapitation. That is much safer.
What I've seen elsewhere is that it requires the player to peel the skin with a knife, not to show the video, but to do the process. To be honest, I thought it was too bloody

sainraja

There isn't. Its cut and dry needless censorship. It has been stated ad nauseum in this thread with plenty of reasons why.
Not saying it isn't. I'm just looking to see an official word on this from Sony. They may not say anything at all but it'd be interesting to see their justification for it.
Specially with all the examples of Sony being inconsistent (e.g. not censoring other games that might have situations worse than this). So, I am thinking there is more to it than meets the eye but if not, doesn't change that it is an odd decision.

Last edited:

Fake

They defend because they're fanboys. Just look at some others gore games posted in this thread.

SSfox

After the Martha is Dead controversy our very own davidjaffe davidjaffe makes a good point about how Cyberpunk 2077 has just as offensive stuff in it, but without being touched by Sony. He explains how A LOT more people are going to be playing Cyberpunk 2077 than will ever play Martha is Dead, but the smaller indie game is censored but the big budget million seller isn't?

Sony will be the dumbest idiots if they even censor big games AAA like Cyberpunk or GTA, just imagine the bad advertising it will be for Playstation as a brand if they do so. They already tried with DMC5 and they got backlash and then removed the censor in US version.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not saying it isn't. I'm just looking to see an official word on this from Sony. They may not say anything at all but it'd be interesting to see their justification for it.
Specially with all the examples of Sony being inconsistent (e.g. not censoring other games that might have situations worse than this). So, I am thinking there is more to it than meets the eye but if not, doesn't change that it is an odd decision.

It literally is released on other platforms, Rated M with no changes. The changes are completely needless and unnecessary.

sainraja

It literally is released on other platforms, Rated M with no changes. The changes are completely needless and unnecessary.
You keep bringing up points that I am not contesting or debating lol. I am simply saying I would like to see an official statement by Sony. I said that with the understanding they may not say anything at all.
As for my "more than meets the eye" comment, it simply is that — I think there might be more to this than we know right now (other content with similar violence is released) or it simply is what we see. Regardless, it is an odd choice given all the other stuff that does get released.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You keep brining up points that I am not contesting or debating lol. I am simply saying I would like to see an official statement by Sony. I said that with the understanding they may not say anything at all.
As for my "more than meets the eye" comment, it simply is that — I think there might be more to this than we know right now (other content with similar violence is released) or it simply is what we see. Regardless, it is an odd choice given all the other stuff that does get released.

Sorry should have highlighted the part I was primarily referring to. Your suggesting that there is “more to it than meets the eye”. There isn’t. Its simply cut and dry incompetence and hypocritical standards by Sony. They have a long history of doing this over the past six years now and its only getting worse.

sainraja

Sorry should have highlighted the part I was primarily referring to. Your suggesting that there is “more to it than meets the eye”. There isn’t. Its simply cut and dry incompetence and hypocritical standards by Sony. They have a long history of doing this over the past six years now and its only getting worse.
The inconsistency of censorship is my reason for saying that. It might be as you are saying or there could be something else going on — either way, it's unfortunate. They should have just left it alone.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
FLU0zIBXIAIRk2V

Martha Is Dead is a narrative adventure recommended for adult audiences only, with play consisting of potentially discomforting scenes and themes that may distress some players. Both Wired Productions and LKA have always been open and honest about Martha Is Dead content, with the sensitive depictions in play consistently communicated to the media since the game was announced in 2019. This content is also flagged clearly and repeatedly within the game itself before play begins.

>It is with regret that we have had to modify the experience on the PS5 and PS4 versions, with some elements no longer playable. After over four years of passion and hard work, Developer LKA now requires extra time to make these unplanned changes. Martha Is Dead, as a result, will still launch digitally on both PS5 and PS4 on Thursday, February 24th, 2022, but the physical retail release will be delayed to a yet to be disclosed date; although we anticipate this to only be a small number of weeks. Our physical edition will still contain the bonus content of a double-sided poster, digital tarot cards and Martha Is Dead Digital EP. We will update players with the date we ship this edition as soon as we have the information.

The PC and Xbox versions of Martha Is Dead are both unaffected by these developments and will launch with the full unedited gameplay as planned.

We look forward to players experiencing the work of LKA on Thursday February 24th, 2022.

Suspected scene

Lame, lame. Sony needs to nut up and let people decide what they want to see or not see. Just silly.

nikolino840

From an italian interview

Luca Dalcò who confirms how the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 versions of Martha is Dead have undergone changes regarding two interactive sequences with Quick Time Event,which are now non-interactive cutscenes, also sexual references have been removed in the dialogues of a very specific scene with religious symbols in the background
Luca points out that there has been no fury against Martha is Dead by Sony, it is only "very small changes dictated by the policy of the platform"
Luca then talks about other limitations that the public often does not know, such as trademarks or specific references that cannot be used without prior authorization.

Top Bottom