• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny Will Become The First Foreigner To Win A CEDEC Special Award

He ruins Playstation and gets a prize?

Last good Playstation was PS3, btw.
Ok, I really liked my time with the PS3, but it was a year late and could not match or beat the competition in therms of performance... It's online services were lacking, especially at first, etc.

They made great games for it, but this is in spite of the hardware not because of it.

I will not talk price too much because the conversation around this topic is screwed by nonsense, 499 for the 20gb model that had HDMI + wifi compared to 399 for a 360 that if you wanted wifi would cost you 499 (same price at equivalent features)... And could not get HDMI at all, but given the time at which it was released it made sense to not include it.

Anyway, the PS2 and PS3 were not very well designed, they used alien tech that offered a lot ot theoretical benefits but that forced sony to make sacrifices in order to get these special chips, so it ended up causing problems instead of helping them in both cases.

synce

From what I remember he helped out on the graphical side for a lot of games, which is why I assume he's getting the award? Can't be for PS4 or 5 as they're little more than off the shelf PCs.

zaanan

Banned
ocGqQ6T.jpg

PS5 bunduru???

I dunno I remember playing games pretty well on mine. Never really had an issue with it besides the loud fan. Definitely wasn't a piece of trash.

He deserves his awards. Saying that, hated having to re-paste my Pro because the damn thing was Jet engine loud lol. That's not his fault considering if I could fix it, it's not designed badly, it's put together badly.

Shut0wen

Was he responsible for the ps3? One of the worst consoles of all time imo, glad sony made a very good comeback with ps4 and 5

Far from it, there's much worse out there. People easily forget the horrible upscaling solutions of the PS360 days.
Even with current tech, checkerboarding is still a solid upscaling solution when the end target is 4k.

It's not DLSS, but it's great...

The upscaling on the PS360 had issues because you went from a very low resolution (560p to a still quite low resolution 720p)... on the PS4 the vast majority of games just run at native 1080p on 1080p panels, so it's not very relevant... but on the one going from 900p to 1080p is common, and we already saw that was more tolerable than the sub 720p situation we had beforehand (however there were no real reasons to tolerate it as the competition offered better from the get go).

This is why going from 1440p / 1800p / 1900p to native 4k is not as big of a deal as before, not because the algorithms got a million times better... pixel density is higher, so upscaling artefacts are much less annoying than before.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’d give him an award every year just for making marble madness using 8 bit assembly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The CEDEC Awards are hosted every year since 2008 to celebrate remarkable achievements within game development and computer entertainment technology in Japan, and for the first time, their Special Award given every year to a distinguished developer is going to someone not from Japan, Mark Cerny.

Mark Cerny now joins an exclusive club of members of the game industry who have had an absolute groundbreaking effect on it. His name will now be listed among other industry legends like Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto, Masahiro Sakurai and Hironobu Sakaguchi to name a few.

As far as to why the CEDEC has chosen to celebrate Cerny and his career, they had some very nice things to say about his 40 years in the industry.

3763947-oyudmpd.gif

Insider only actual prize leak:
R8kTK1f.jpg

skit_data

From what I remember he helped out on the graphical side for a lot of games, which is why I assume he's getting the award? Can't be for PS4 or 5 as they're little more than off the shelf PCs.
It takes a lot of knowledge and thinking ”ahead of the curve” when designing a console. Add to that the fact that you’ll have to be able to squeeze it into a box that is way smaller than an average PC for a much cheaper price.

I’d say the decompressor in PS5 is definitely ahead of what is currently available on PC. There will be graphics cards with dedicated decompression in future RTX and RDNA iterations and they will probably be better than the ones on console but as it stands PS5 and Series X/S have some pretty smart hardware to offload the CPU that is not yet available on PCs.

Md Ray

It's not a "little more than off the shell PCs"... Just the other day, he said this in a recently released WIRED vid:
The big challenge of hardware, is working through the sheer number of details involved, in creating a console. And SSD, as an example, will the game be entirely resonant on the SSD, or is the SSD a cache, and the game is on Blu-Ray, or some other kind of optical media? Do you want to use SLC (Single-Level Cell), or MLC (Multi-Level Cell), or TLC (Triple-Level Cell) or QLC (Quad-Level Cell)? What kind of functionality do you want to have, in your custom flash controller? And how much do you want to have in your main custom chip?

Last edited:

skit_data

No doubt Cerny is a great system architect, engineer and game developer.
But I would not say hes any better then other great egineers, afterall Microsoft did make a console for the same rrp that is arguably the better hardware.
But supposedly the Standard Edition PS5 is actually profitable.

MS being able to take a bigger hit on their console has nothing to do with which one is better engineered. If anything, PS5 being profitable and at the same time trading blows with a pricier piece of hardware would suggest its the better engineered one if cost effectiveness is a metric.

Edit: I base this on suggested retail price and BOMs of both consoles just before launch, I think PS5 SE was at around $450 and the Series X being around $500-550. FWIW MS representatives also said they’ve always sold their consoles at a loss from their consoles during the Apple vs Epic case.

Last edited:
It is ugly, gigantic, loud and it was basically as powerful as a 2012 PC... in late 2016 (quite literally, AMD released a 4.1TF card in mid 2012, a year before the base PS4 released). and the worst to me is, it is a 1440p machine, with even first party AAA titles going for that resolution, but the system doesn't even support 1440p... this annoys me especially recently, now that I have it set up on my 1440p PC screen because it was of course replaced recently with the PS5 on the big TV
Everyone is restricted by the budget they are given to make an item.

Aenima

Deserved. While he dosent stand out too much as a game dev or game director, his work on PS4 and PS5 architecture has been stellar. Playstation would probably be dead now if kept doing what the PS3 terrible architecture did.

mejin

But I would not say hes any better then other great egineers, afterall Microsoft did make a console for the same rrp that is arguably the better hardware.

PS5 digital is $399 and just like PS4 in 2013 it's a highly customized hardware. It's a well deserved award.

MS is simply losing more money per unit sold.
In fact Sony made a console that's been profitable per unit sold since somewhere during this current year, which MS still doesn't have.
PS5 was only selling at a loss until like June. (the disc model only. the digital one is probably still not there).

jigglet

Banned
lmao @ this thread turning into a console war.

Let's bring this back to a serious discussion: To collect the award, I think Cerny should wear some bad 70's era kung-fu movie makeup that white actors used to put on to look asian.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I don't know if this will change in the future, but for the software that is written today the PS5 sure does punch above it's weight.

yurinka

Well deserved. He did an awesome job with Vita, PS4 and PS5 hardware arquitecture design, but also had a key role on a ton of game classics, from Marble Madness to Ratchet & Knack Rift Apart.

Now please Cerny create a asmr bikini hot tub Twitch channel to make more videos explaining the console's tech and how it was made. I want more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom