• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny reveals the M.2 SSD he bought for his PS5

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Thankfully, due to PlayStation 5 being my secondary exclusives only console, I will never need any more storage space than what's already inside the console and even if it was my primary like Xbox Series X, I still wouldn't need any additional storage space. It's awesome not having a backlog and going from game to game and uninstalling them when they're 100% finished as that means I won't have this issue for either console for the entire duration of the generation.
I’m sure some will appreciate your not needing to buy any NVMEs and/or XBOX expansion cards so that others can have them available to purchase. That’s right generous of you.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thankfully, due to PlayStation 5 being my secondary exclusives only console, I will never need any more storage space than what's already inside the console and even if it was my primary like Xbox Series X, I still wouldn't need any additional storage space. It's awesome not having a backlog and going from game to game and uninstalling them when they're 100% finished as that means I won't have this issue for either console for the entire duration of the generation.
Everyone is different, choice and options are good.

dcmk7

Banned
The good thing is that since it's an open standard and not a propietary storage, over time more and more companies will develop compatible SSDs, and the prices will drop.

Now they may be too expensive, but in a few years they will be very affordable.
Exactly this, I'm in no rush for one.

Will wait for the price to drop on compatible SSD's with more storage.

Which is the beauty of being non-propietary. There are options :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:
I wonder why Sony doing you a favour of giving your certified easy plug and play solution instead of the impossible to decipher mess of SD cards and the tons of vendors that had their alternative. The risk of buying the wrong card… nope in that case it was horrible and a reason to wish the system to fail for… 🤔.

The only issue I had back then was that some brands of SD cards were really bad and prone to failure. But overall it was nice being able to upgrade the storage for cheap on my 3DS.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
What is also funny is at 2tb some of these drives cost more than a disk drive ps5. I think I will stick to a usb hardrive for my ps4 games then play and redownload ps5 games. These drives are just too expensive right now.

kingkaiser

Yeah, too expensive for now. Also, had a good laugh at the prices for the WD SN850 on amazon. €163 for the standard and a whooping €277 for the one with a heatsink
Yep, €114 more just for some additional aluminum...😂 🤣

JaksGhost

What is also funny is at 2tb some of these drives cost more than a disk drive ps5. I think I will stick to a usb hardrive for my ps4 games then play and redownload ps5 games. These drives are just too expensive right now.
I’m not understanding this logic as if the 2TB is the only option available. Are y’all totally inept to the point that you can’t hit the 500GB or 1TB options on the websites?! If you wanted 2TB on the Series X you would have to buy two separate proprietary cards that cost what, almost the same price as a Series X. I’m totally not fucking getting it 🥴

kingkaiser

Man, the current console generation truly makes me feel nostalgic. Just remembered how I paid 50 bucks for an 8MB memory card back in 2001. 😆

yurinka

Yes, Ferraris are very expensive. But you don't need to buy a Ferrari. There are smaller and cheaper SSD options to put on this drive, and over time will be way cheaper. Until then, I think it is ok to don't buy extra storage.

Yes, Ferraris are very expensive. But you don't need to buy a Ferrari. There are smaller and cheaper SSD options to put on this drive, and over time will be way cheaper. Until then, I think it is ok to don't buy extra storage.

I was looking at compatible 500GBs NVMEs and they cost around 100$. Which is pretty reasonable if you don't need a ton of extra storage.

fersnake

Xbox Expansion Card :
-Proprietary format so no choice.
-Too expensive.
-Slow compared to the competition.

PS5 SSD Expansion :
-Standard format with plenty of choice.
-Price is right and will decrease faster with time.
-The fastest SSDs on the market.
-Usable on PC.

Who do you think is getting a good deal?
and yet ppl cry about its too hard and comparing to building a house :messenger_tears_of_joy:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The WD Black SN850 is based on 16nm process. Samsung 980 Pro is based on 8nm so potentially cooler with a heatsink. Will get the latter even though it costs a little more.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm just waiting for the dust to settle. The price and availability of high end NVMe drives have gone bananas.

Besides, I thought the capacity of the PS5 would be an issue but right now I have Ghost of Tsushima, Judgement, Chivalry 2, and the FFVII Remake installed, as well as a slew of media apps, and still have 413GB left. So I can wait a long time before I'll feel the need to expand, if ever.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox Expansion Card :
-Proprietary format so no choice.
-Too expensive.
-Slow compared to the competition.

PS5 SSD Expansion :
-Standard format with plenty of choice.
-Price is right and will decrease faster with time.
-The fastest SSDs on the market.
-Usable on PC.

Who do you think is getting a good deal?
Different is, dumb people knows how to plug in on xbox, compared to the ps5.

People think here, everyone is too smart. Like its easy to takeout the ps5, and plug in the sd card.

Guess what? People are fucking stupid. Hell, I am too confused about these shit SD card names, To a point, I am not even bothering changing my pc storage.

I will go with the easy plug in deal, which i can take it out easily, and plug in on another friends xbox console.

sendit

easy plug in deal, which i can take it out easily, and plug in on another friends
sweating key and peele GIF

I get that, my point was that I do not get someone championing the proprietary XSX|S solution if they hated PS Vita’s cards, that is all.
Why does the PS Vita memory card get brought up so often? Didn't the X360 ,Xbox, PS2, N64, and GameCube have memory cards too? Were there similar complaints about those systems like we have with X Series? I always thought consoles traditionally were all about ease and plug and play. Did something change I wasn't aware of?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So can i buy a card now and pop it in or would i need to wait for official firmware release since i dont trust alphas?
If you put the SSD in now the console will just complain that it doesn’t work with the drive attached. So buy it but don’t fit it yet until you either get a beta invite or the firmware is release officially.

coffinbirth

Why does the PS Vita memory card get brought up so often? Didn't the X360 ,Xbox, PS2, N64, and GameCube have memory cards too? Were there similar complaints about those systems like we have with X Series? I always thought consoles traditionally were all about ease and plug and play. Did something change I wasn't aware of?
All of those consoles listed used memory cards for game saves not for actual game storage(I think you could put XBLA games on mem cards, but cmon)whereas the majority of the Vitas library was digital only, and the proprietary storage was shamefully overpriced. This was a contributing factor in its demise. Lets not go into having to import the...

People complaining about the Series X/S storage solution likely don't own one. I do, and it's a pretty seamless thing that I haven't had to think about since launch. What is there to complain about? Price? Having the ability to EASILY remove it and take with you to a friends house...or upstairs to another Series console or whatever is low key a pretty good feature, and IMO, warrants the need for the proprietary shell.

Here's another thing I'd like to add that is kinda on-topic, the fact that you can remove the Xbox Series X/S Internal drive, clone it to another drive, and use said drive. Not terribly useful yet(unless you are doing repairs) but in the future when 2TB and up drives in this form factor start becoming available, you have upgrade options there as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The cost of GCN and PS2 cards was not immense and they were used only for save game data. Even on PS2 there were plenty of cheap ones.

Xbox 360 was the time where one of the vendors figured out you could add a standard HDD in a proprietary enclosure and charge a premium for it and no not everyone was happy (the software output, the initial UI, Xbox LIVE, and the impact it had for the first two years on the market were just SO SO big that people swallowed that and other issues like RRoD mostly) . Same thing for the expensive WIFi adaptor and HDMI well the launch machine had no HDMI output.

The PS Vita anti hype machine focused on the memory cards, including some bullshit benchmarks using the transfer to PC and back feature and the cost of the cards. Proprietary vs open was a big deal there.

Topher

Gold Member

Yes, something did change. Consoles started using internal storage for more than just game saves. They started installing games, movies, and music as well. Vita was notorious because the cost of the proprietary storage was far more than standard microSD.

And yes, consoles have always been about ease and plug and play. This is no different. People are trying to make it out like this is difficult when it really isn't.

kyliethicc

You’re not going to need to worry about a 5year warranty for either, the stop gap replacements will come faster and dwarf the Series X and PS5.
I doubt there will be a mid-gen refresh with a big spec bump like PS4 Pro & One X. Would cost too much, among other reasons.

It won’t matter, is what I’m saying, these drives won’t be fast enough.
They wouldn't increase the drive speed for a PS5 Pro by much, if at all. No point really.

Last edited:

Elios83

I think I'm going to buy the 2TB SN850 later this year.
Hopefully I will be able to find a deal around 400€, 500-550€ is just too much for the benefits.

I see that the SN850 has a RGB LED, obviously on PS5 such feature is useless but is there a model with the heatsink but no RGB LED?

Top Bottom