• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny reveals the M.2 SSD he bought for his PS5

kyliethicc

Case closed. The father of the PS5 has spoken.

🙌😍 Knack Daddy 🙌❤️

qE1bHDa.jpg

VkLCmVp.gif

quBCXcp.jpg

Edit - Seems like he also approves of the Seagate 530.

1ahzCO4.jpg

Last edited:
WTF are you installing?
I have 20 games on mine.
Once I deleted Call of Duty. I was fine. But this is a problem for people with shitty internet. I can delete games anytime I want, then quickly download them. I do move alot though. So hopefully Biden’s passes that internet bill. We should have Fiber everywhere. I feel for my 5 Mbps internet people. How pissed off I get when I cant get Fiber Internet.

Hugare

WTF are you installing?
I have 20 games on mine.
Big games, I guess

Have Returnal, Cyberpunk, FF VII, Metro Exodus, Yakuza 7, Spider-Man, Dead By Daylight, R&C e Fortnite but its almost full already

But I believe that having a 2 TB HDD on my PS4 Pro has spoiled me. I really dont need a lot of games instaled at the same time.

But sometimes I like to play some oldies

I also have an external SSD, which helps with the chunky boys: TLOU 2, Mass Effect LE, FF XV and Witcher

Last edited:
Holy shit. Just checked its price in my country's Amazon -- $239 USD (converted from INR) w/ heatsink. In comparison, Xbox Series expansion card costs around $325 USD which is ridiculous!!
Pricing on all ssd drives is a crapshoot atm
The Xbox expansion card in aus is around $330 which would roughly translate to $180 US

m2 drives around that spec of the ps5 are in the same $300-400 for 1tb and 2tb your looking at $650+

upgrading your storage ain’t cheap

bender

What time is it?
You think Mark Cerny has slow internet or a data cap? Surely all the major Playstation markets have unlimited internet plans.

I didn't say anything about slow internet. Tell me who Cerny's provider is and I'll tell you if he has caps. Most providers is the States impose data caps. For instance, Comcast is 1229GB per month.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
You dont need external storage when you have fast internet, just delete and re-download as required. This just seems like PR/advertising.

Or better yet attach a super cheap HDD and transfer your games to cold storage. So much more cost effective.

bender

What time is it?
Or better yet attach a super cheap HDD and transfer your games to cold storage. So much more cost effective.

Which begs the question if you can use the expansion bay and an external drive. PS5 doesn't allow you to connect two externals. I've got a 4TB for cold storage for PS5 games and an active 4TB drive for PS4 games.

GuinGuin

Banned
Which begs the question if you can use the expansion bay and an external drive. PS5 doesn't allow you to connect two externals. I've got a 4TB for cold storage for PS5 games and an active 4TB drive for PS4 games.

Pretty sure you could use both I saw a diagram somewhere recently.

Md Ray

Honest question for those looking into expanding the storage: do you swap between games a lot? Or do you just like having there, in case you want to play them?

I'm someone who only plays one game at a time, finishes it, and plays something else. I'll delete as I go along.
I'm also someone who likes to play one game at a time to completion, but I also tend to swap between games every now and then. In that case, I do wish I had bigger storage.

But these days we have fast internet so it's not as painful as it was a couple years ago to delete and re-download these games (at least on PC).

Data caps still exist, but that's not an issue for me particularly as I don't run into them.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

This makes sense. The SN850 is the top tier of the mainstream consumer market. I'll purchase one when Microsoft enables direct storage. That's when I think it'll be needed for my use case. Oh yeah, might get a Samsung 980 pro for when I buy the PS5 in a year or two, lmao.

Greggy

Clear exactly what? They already give all the specs needed.
And yet they won’t take responsibility for any M2 drive that meets the specs not working as expected after installation. That’s why people have to rely on Cerny’s Twitter feed to decide which SSD to buy. It’s not just poor customer service, it may be creating unfair competition between suppliers.

As a consumer, I’m very disappointed. They botched this whole storage solution. I’d rather pay more for a plug and play stick that is guaranteed to maintain the same performance as the internal storage.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Interesting that they are running other deals on the external Xbox Series X|S expansion: Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S 1TB Solid State Drive - NVMe Expansion SSD for Xbox Series X|S(STJR1000400) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08K48F6QZ/

£179… it is a much much slower drive, but matched to what the platform needs (weird Amazon is selling it £40 cheaper than MS’s Store).

https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd people are hitting this WD Store hard. Cannot even add things to a cart.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Interesting that they are running other deals on the external Xbox Series X|S expansion: Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S 1TB Solid State Drive - NVMe Expansion SSD for Xbox Series X|S(STJR1000400) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08K48F6QZ/

£179… it is a much much slower drive, but matched to what the platform needs (weird Amazon is selling it £40 cheaper than MS’s Store).

https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd people are hitting this WD Store hard. Cannot even add things to a cart.

It usually goes on offer at various places for £180, it's what I ended up getting mine for. I can see them reducing it to that permanently to be honest. A years premium at £220, then price match on the storage albeit not performance matched. I'm just wondering if an SN850 1TB is really worth the extra, 1.2TB should be enough on the PS5 I think so a 500GB model makes more sense and is just over £100 here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom