• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party Superstars

Cutty Flam

Banned
We’ve reached the one month mark!

And now we know there are at least 14 confirmed items. These are the latest items that have been revealed to us since the most recent Nintendo Direct

Boo Bell - Ring for Boo and steal coins or a star from another player, depending on how many coins you will spend
Dueling Glove - Challenges a player to a 1v1 Duel Minigame. A set amount of coins will be wagered and then the 1v1 Duel Minigame begins. Winner takes all!
Double Star Card - Players who pass a star will be able to purchase two stars when holding this card

hc6IM5h.jpg

BlackTron

I just want know one single thing:

will this be playable with pro controllers? Those forced shitty joycon controls totally ruin the previous mario party

I heard a while ago that even gamecube controllers will work.

And yes this is definitely the Mario Party I want, so glad I dragged my feet on buying the first one.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Yoshi’s Tropical Island is going to be one wild board to play on when you take into account the Chain Chomp Whistle and how dynamic it makes the board, as well as the Lucky Spaces, the high rolling economy with coins and all as well as the Thwomps? It’s probably the most exciting board to date in the series with the changes we’ve seen

Edit: Chain Chomp Whistle may or may not be omitted from the map; it's not certain going by the gameplay we've seen up to this point. The fish that will switch the placement of the star from one island to the the other is called "Cheep Chomp" so Cheep Chomp's Trick may be the result of landing on a Happening Space and only by landing on a Happening Space

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
26 Days

It will be interesting to see how Peach’s Birthday Castle and Yoshi’s Tropical Island will play. Going to play Peach’s Birthday Cake first out of all five maps because the board’s simple objective combined with the game’s elements (changes, new spaces, returning plus new items) has my curiosity. The oldschool Mario Party games could be intense at times, but Mario Party Superstars seems to have doubled (maybe even tripled, or quadrupled) the intensity and overall strategy that will go into every game you play. This seems to be the case with every board now. No matter which board you choose to play on, if you are playing against players who try to actively compete and win then this is going to be a very exciting multiplayer board game to get into

Here’s an example of how crazy the game can get. All the items are very useful now, and will fortify your path to victory. But imagine when someone gets the Plunder Chest, the item that can steal another player’s item. That creates an entirely new challenge to your strategy and what you ought to do next to ensure a successful turn. You may have an Item Bag, the Golden Pipe, the Boo Bell, or a Custom Dice Block among your three total item slots - all of which are extremely beneficial items to have. But when that player with the Plunder Chest comes around? You have to weigh the situation and play your cards right or it may cost the game. There are always interesting situations that present themselves in every game of Mario Party played, and this will definitely be the case with the new Mario Party Superstars

One or two things more that I hope we’ll learn about the game before its release is how many Bonus Stars there will be as well as if we will be able to choose the Bonus Stars we must try to earn say in a custom match offline or even in an online match. That would be a fun new edition to the game and series. Picking your own Bonus Stars to pursue throughout the game on a specific board could be an incredible time. I always enjoyed knowing what the objectives were because then you can plan around them to your advantage

Cutty Flam

Banned
This guy's analysis is pretty good in the video below. I don't share his view with Yoshi's Tropical Island, however. In fact, I expect that board to be a top 2 board in the game

But we'll see soon enough as the game is only 19 Days 7 Hours and 8 minutes away if you're on the West Coast :pie_starstruck::pie_raybans::pie_starstruck:

Cutty Flam

Banned
NeM3ifq.png

Loving the new “Add Turns” feature that NDcube decided to bring into the game. I’m assuming that there would be an option to add at least 5-10 turns towards the total, maybe there’s not even a limit to the amount of turns one can add?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The original Horror Land looks miles better, so much more neon and charming, like an old Halloween tv special. The new one has that somewhat stale rendering that I dislike. I wish they'd keep the charm of weird lighting and 2D art involved instead of making everything a super-clean but generic 3D model.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The original Horror Land looks miles better, so much more neon and charming, like an old Halloween tv special. The new one has that somewhat stale rendering that I dislike. I wish they'd keep the charm of weird lighting and 2D art involved instead of making everything a super-clean but generic 3D model.
Horror Land needed a lot of changes imo, I’m glad they remodeled and went with something new. Because it used to be our second or third most played board back in the day whenever my friends and family would play together, but I always felt like there were some things missing for it to be a top notch board to play on. Can’t wait to see which one plays better, the original or remake. It does look vastly different, but that’s a plus in my book. All the boards and the game in its entirety look fantastic

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Really hyped for this game. My son watches people playing Mario Party on youtube a lot so he's going to be so happy when I bring this home for us to play!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We played Mario Party Superstars and checked out the spooky Horror Land board from Mario Party 2. We also visited Mt. Minigames and played Bumper Balls ten times in a row. Mario Party Superstars is a nostalgia trip of iconic boards, minigames, and new improvements on the original Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube games.

Cutty Flam

Banned

That’s an excellent overview, and he’s right, Mario Party Superstars is a love letter to the fans of the N64 and Gamecube Mario Party games

If there’s a hidden sixth board and DLC later on then this will probably become the greatest Mario Party game in the series

Chastten

Banned
Okay, this thread is pretty dead but I finished Pokémon Shining Pearl last weekend and finally got around to playing this one. I just did a few games against CPU's but it's pretty darn great. I played 1 to 5 back in the day quite a bit, but the later GameCube games and especially the terrible Wii and first Switch game lost me. The car mechanic was no fun at all, and the Switch game was just way too slow and I hate the joycons.

This one is everything that made the original Mario Party great. Looking forward to playing an actual night with friends!

Top Bottom