• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party Superstars |OT|

Cutty Flam

Banned
1200px-Mario_Party_Superstars_logo.png

New-Mario-Party-Superstars-trailer-is-a-blast-from-the-past.jpg

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch OLED
Release Date: October 29, 2021
Developer: NDcube
Publisher: Nintendo
Price: $59.99
Supported Controllers: Joy-Cons, Pro Controller
Summary: It's a Superstar collection of Mario Party boards and minigames featuring five classic boards from the Nintendo 64 Mario Party games and one-hundred minigames from the Mario Party series catalog. Players can choose between fun game modes such as Mario Party mode, Mt. Minigames, Free Play, Sports and Puzzles, Coin Battle, Tag Match, Trio Challenge, Survival, and Daily Challenge. All game modes work with online play
Playable Characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Birdo
Boards: Peach's Birthday Cake, Yoshi's Tropical Island, Space Land, Woody Woods, Horror Land
Official Website: https://marioparty.nintendo.com/

1200px-Mario_Party_10_logo1.png

mario-party-superstars-characters-mini-games-boards.jpg

🌟 Peach's Birthday Cake 🌟

rUWpIDU.jpg

🌟 Yoshi's Tropical Island 🌟

FAAKjtaVcAQffAH.jpg

🌟 Space Land 🌟

maxresdefault.jpg

🌟 Woody Woods 🌟

maxresdefault.jpg

🌟 Horror Land 🌟

mario-party-horror-land-scaled.jpg

x6h2p3wwodp71.jpg

BlackTron

OH crap this party starts tomorrow.

I guess my gaming budget this month just magically grew by sixty bucks. I have been waiting for this game for an eternity. I guess I can use all that money I saved by not upgrading my NSO subscription.

Mowcno

Not the boards I'd have chosen from 1-3, but I'll take it! Looking forward to playing this. Super Mario Party was probably the best attempt since 8, but the classic formula is where it's at.

So looking forward to this.

A bit sad that you can't seem to play in teams, my dad loves Mario Party but isn't great at the minigames, so it was nice to team up and share coins, items and stars in the older games, even in the Partner Party mode in the last game.

The Gamespot review was cheeks. He said superstar was better basically bc his 6 yr old had an easier time playing than this and gave it a 6. Come the fuck on

Edit: Wow the IGN review was quite the contrast

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
This thread is not exactly setting the world on fire....shame as reviews are saying its the best MP in the last 10 years...

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hype lvls over 9000 for me, been having my eye on this and keeping tabs since its announcement at E3. It’s looking good brothers. More excited for Mario Party Superstars than even these New York Knicks fans lol

carlosrox

Banned
Looks great. Looking forward to it.

Do they still do those little animations when people win/lose? Where the losers get dragged off screen and stuff?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Do they still do those little animations when people win/lose? Where the losers get dragged off screen and stuff?
It’s doubtful they will, hope they have them though. Was always one of my favorite features of Mario Party 2

Edit: Oh, thought you meant something different, like the Mario Party 2 end of game cutscenes. The animations you’re talking about still happen. For example, if Peach gets a bee hive in the minigame Honeycomb Havoc, the bees are still going to chase her off the screen in Mario Party Superstars

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

How much better do Mario Party Superstar's graphics look compared to the classic Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii & Wii U Mini-Games from Mario Party 1-10? Find out in our head-to-head graphics comparison, featuring all 100 minigames!

Last edited:

Sales​

Total sales60.10
YearPlatformTitleSales
(millions)
1998N64Mario Party2.70
1999N64Mario Party 22.48
2000N64Mario Party 31.91
2002GCNMario Party 42.46
2003GCNMario Party 52.17
2004GCNMario Party 61.63
2005GBAMario Party Advance0.98
2006GCNMario Party 72.08
2007WiiMario Party 88.85
2007DS Mario Party DS9.31
2012WiiMario Party 93.11
20133DSMario Party: Island Tour2.90
2015Wii UMario Party 102.26
20163DSMario Party: Star Rush0.87
20173DSMario Party: The Top 1000.67
2018SwitchSuper Mario Party15.72
2021SwitchMario Party Superstars
Total sales 60.10

I think Superstars is going to blow up just like Super Mario Party, The series is more popular than ever with SMP having a shot of reaching 20m lifetime sales. Superstars is (judging by reviews) a far better game then SMP and should maintain the unprecedented success The Mario party brand has enjoyed on Switch, I think 15m lifetime is assured.

Bragr

Banned
Nintendo is about to make a few hundred millions on this one too, it's such a cheap effort though, odd they don't try to make a better game for such a huge franchise.

Notabueno

Banned
Milk that easy money Nintendo, basically a remake of Mario Party 1 to 6, because that's the audience you have, and that's we'll never get F-Zero, Odyssey 2, Starfox, Donkey Kong Adventure etc...

nikos

Bought this game to play online with my girlfriend via the same console. Too bad THEY STILL HAVEN’T GOT IT RIGHT.

-When playing with random players, only one player on each Nintendo Switch will be able to play.

-When playing with friends, up to three people on the same Nintendo Switch can play.

So basically there’s no way for more than one person to have a game filled with randoms, unless you queue up at the same time and hope you end up in the same session.

With every Nintendo release comes some ass backwards fucking system.

Last edited:
Bought this game to play online with my girlfriend via the same console. Too bad THEY STILL HAVEN’T GOT IT RIGHT.

-When playing with random players, only one player on each Nintendo Switch will be able to play.

-When playing with friends, up to three people on the same Nintendo Switch can play.

So basically there’s no way for more than one person to have a game filled with randoms, unless you queue up at the same time and hope you end up in the same session.

With every Nintendo release comes some ass backwards fucking system.
I think that’s by design though. If you were playing with a friend against randoms, Nintendo can’t guarantee a fun experience because u 2 could just team up on them on any minigame possible, or choose to steal only from one person etc.

Mozza

Sales​

YearPlatformTitleSales
(millions)
Total sales60.10
1998N64Mario Party2.70
1999N64Mario Party 22.48
2000N64Mario Party 31.91
2002GCNMario Party 42.46
2003GCNMario Party 52.17
2004GCNMario Party 61.63
2005GBAMario Party Advance0.98
2006GCNMario Party 72.08
2007WiiMario Party 88.85
2007DS Mario Party DS9.31
2012WiiMario Party 93.11
20133DSMario Party: Island Tour2.90
2015Wii UMario Party 102.26
20163DSMario Party: Star Rush0.87
20173DSMario Party: The Top 1000.67
2018SwitchSuper Mario Party15.72
2021SwitchMario Party Superstars
Total sales60.10

I think Superstars is going to blow up just like Super Mario Party, The series is more popular than ever with SMP having a shot of reaching 20m lifetime sales. Superstars is (judging by reviews) a far better game then SMP and should maintain the unprecedented success The Mario party brand has enjoyed on Switch, I think 15m lifetime is assured.
Every Nintendo game has the potential to take advantage of the Switch effect.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nintendo is about to make a few hundred millions on this one too, it's such a cheap effort though, odd they don't try to make a better game for such a huge franchise.
Cheap low cost games have been nintendos mo on the switch. Outside of metroid the biggest switch games released this year were a port of skyward sword, and a budget ass mario golf and mario party game

Tetraeon

Although this is definitely a cash in it's still very enjoyable and a good party game to have loaded and ready. Hopeful they add another board and maybe a few new minigames in the future if this sells well enough

drotahorror

Are there super long unskippable cutscenes like switch Mario party?

have they redone some of the mini games to make use of joy on features or is it playable on pretty much any controller?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Solid OP

Anyone else have any impressions? I think I'm gonna grab it soon off the eshop.
Thanks bro. Got some impressions, I’ve played on every board and they’re all excellent. Minigames are familiar but tougher on the whole, compared to the originals. I’ve played three games online with others, 15 Turn games, and each one has been smooth all the way through and a lot of fun. Stickers are entertaining and hilarious at times; great addition IMO and you can turn them off in settings if you’d like; if you prefer not to use or see them pop up in-game

I’m still learning the ropes too. I’ve played probably 500-700+ games of Mario Party in total over the years, but I can’t just jump in and start dominating like the fiend I was in MP2, MP3. Not at all. Mario Party Superstars is its own game

I’m also a fan of the way you can earn coins to purchase things to enhance your experience while playing Mario Party Superstars. There are a lot of nice little features

Not sure how to play online with more than 15 Turns though…Ideally, 20 Turns or more suits the game best IMO. Very pleasant experience, I’ve spent about 10 hrs playing and the time has flown by

nikos

I think that’s by design though. If you were playing with a friend against randoms, Nintendo can’t guarantee a fun experience because u 2 could just team up on them on any minigame possible, or choose to steal only from one person etc.

That makes sense, but it's Mario Party; a game that can screw anybody at any moment.

Earlier tonight, I was towards the end of a game with four stars, ~160 coins and two gold pipes that I was about to get two more stars with. Everybody else had 1-2 stars and little to no coins. In the last few turns, when I was about to use thse two gold pipes to get stars, somebody landed on a space that swapped their stars/coins with mine. I ended up with two stars and six coins and not enough turns left to recover. Lost the game.

With stuff like that in the game, fairness should not be taken into consideration for matchmaking. lol

All that said, this game is a lot of fun so far.

BlackTron

What's keeping you from using such similar tactics locally? It's part of the game.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Here are the eight potential Bonus Stars awarded at the end

• Bowser Space Bonus – Awarded to who landed on the Bowser Space the most times
  • Eventful Bonus – Awarded to who landed on the most Event Spaces in the game
  • Minigame Bonus – Awarded to who got first place the most in minigames
  • Rich Bonus – Awarded to who collected the most total coins in the game
  • Shopping Bonus – Awarded to who bought the most items from the item shop
  • Sightseer Bonus – Awarded to whoever traveled the most spaces in the game
  • Slowpoke Bonus – Awarded to whoever traveled the least amount of spaces in the game
  • Unlucky Bonus – Awarded to who landed on the most Red Spaces in the game

BlackTron

Sure, but it is assumed it is easier to connect and talk about it and still have fun face to face.

If course it's easier. So?

This reminds me of when Nintendo said they didn't have online modes in their games because they feel it's better to have fun together in person.

That's very sweet of them, and also a terrible reason to take an option away.

Thank you, Nintendo, for making the executive decision that I either coordinate the logistics to ensure all of my friends are in the same room, or else don't play with them at all. I mean they are right. I had most fun playing StarCraft on LAN, guess they should just remove the whole online mode then!

BlackTron

Nothing. But explain to me how it’s fair that any point in the game a person could locally communicate with someone in the room and couldn’t with an online player?

It's even more fair than in most games that allow the same thing because Mario Party weighs heavily on chaos and random chance.

You stand to lose more by in-game mechanics and bad luck beyond your control than by scheming local players to begin with.

What are they going to do, conspire to bop you off first in bumper balls?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Are there super long unskippable cutscenes like switch Mario party?

have they redone some of the mini games to make use of joy on features or is it playable on pretty much any controller?
There are no long cutscenes that I've come across in Mario Party Superstars and the game works well with a Gamecube controller and Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Have yet to play the game with Joy-Cons and probably never will tbh. But there is no use of the motion control feature w/ Joy-Cons during minigames, if that is what you're asking. The minigames are played strictly with the buttons and analog sticks just like how the earlier Mario Party games were played

BlackTron

I grabbed it yesterday. It's really good, very accessible even for non-gamers to hop in. It's the no-BS Mario Party that takes what we had on N64 and adds HD graphics and QoL improvements. Protip: it's a lot easier for a non-gamer to differentiate and remember A, B and Start on a GCN controller lol.

It would be nice if it included more mini games, but I'm pretty happy with the ones they have curated. This is going to get a massive playtime.

It's even more fair than in most games that allow the same thing because Mario Party weighs heavily on chaos and random chance.

You stand to lose more by in-game mechanics and bad luck beyond your control than by scheming local players to begin with.

What are they going to do, conspire to bop you off first in bumper balls?
Yes conspire in mini games, steal stars and coins from one person, block off their routes on purpose in a map. Alot can happen if you team up

BlackTron

Yes conspire in mini games, steal stars and coins from one person, block off their routes on purpose in a map. Alot can happen if you team up

OK, but again this is all normal Mario Party fare whether it is local or not, no?

The only difference is you won't hear the people talking about it, but since when does that mean they aren't out to get you?

For instance I play a lot of local Towerfall multiplayer, and a common tactic is for the other players to cooperate in an attempt to eliminate me first. I never called BS on it, it's their right to do so, such is the nature of a chaotic free-for-all party game. If it worked as an online game (it doesn't), and the same thing happened, what's the difference?

ESPECIALLY in old N64 games, buddies would conspire, fuck things up, and high-five each other all the time in games like Mario Kart, 007, Starfox, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Snowboard Kids, just from my personal anecdotal experience. I thought that was a fucking part of the game.

OK, but again this is all normal Mario Party fare whether it is local or not, no?

The only difference is you won't hear the people talking about it, but since when does that mean they aren't out to get you?

For instance I play a lot of local Towerfall multiplayer, and a common tactic is for the other players to cooperate in an attempt to eliminate me first. I never called BS on it, it's their right to do so, such is the nature of a chaotic free-for-all party game. If it worked as an online game (it doesn't), and the same thing happened, what's the difference?

ESPECIALLY in old N64 games, buddies would conspire, fuck things up, and high-five each other all the time in games like Mario Kart, 007, Starfox, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Snowboard Kids, just from my personal anecdotal experience. I thought that was a fucking part of the game.
Honestly I have run out of ways to explain this to you so let’s just agree to disagree

Cutty Flam

Banned
I played on Horror Land yesterday and took 1st place. Love the ending to online games when they allow you press A button repeatedly for applause to earn additional coins to spend. It’s great that they multiply your earnings by two if you’re the Super Star as well

You have to really be quick on your feet when playing online since each turn has a little timer while you view the map or decide on the direction you’ll go, item you’ll select, etc.

A tip would also be to, preferably, play with others online near where you live. Got matched up with someone who must have been in a different country because the lag was an issue; cost me at least a few minigames during crucial moments

Cutty Flam

Banned
There’s an item I’ve never seen before today, it’s called the Super Warp Block. You actually get to warp with any opponent of your choice. Yoshi received this item through the Item Bag…

Also, the Double Dice (or other Dice related items I’m assuming) cancels out the Cursed Dice and will not be forced to roll 1-3 via the Cursed Dice

Top Bottom