• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: DS / WiFi Connection thread

callous

koam said:
callous said:
Can someone tell me with utmost certainty whether this router is compatible or not?

D-Link AirPlus DI-614+
Details

The 514 isn't and the 624 is, so what do I know. No info on this one on Nintendo's site

I just answered that :p

Oh, duh. Well, you don't seem to know for sure, so I'd still like some replies from people who can look at the specs and tell before I spend money on this thing. Besides, the 524 is more expensive than the 614+, and the 524 is still listed on D-Link's site whereas the 614+ isn't. The 614+ is definitely older (and only supports b, where the 524 supports both b and g). Actually, it's starting to look like you just answered without really knowing anything about it :p

Anyone able to answer me? The specs are still in the link in my quote.

antipode

callous said:
Oh, duh. Well, you don't seem to know for sure, so I'd still like some replies from people who can look at the specs and tell before I spend money on this thing. Besides, the 524 is more expensive than the 614+, and the 524 is still listed on D-Link's site whereas the 614+ isn't. The 614+ is definitely older (and only supports b, where the 524 supports both b and g). Actually, it's starting to look like you just answered without really knowing anything about it :p

Anyone able to answer me? The specs are still in the link in my quote.

The 524 is actually really cheap. I just bought one last month at Best Buy and it was $19.99 after rebate (I used a "5% off all X equipment" coupon and got it even cheaper than that.) Haven't had any problems with it.

Squeak

studio810 said:
Routers that work/don't work
routers1sx.jpg
What about WRT54GS? :S
The WRT54GS being essentialy the WRT54G big brother, does that mean it works the same?

koam

WRT54GS is just a speed booster version of the WRT54G. You will be fine. If your router is newer than the ones on the list, then it will work

I added the hidden characters to main post

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
fuck.. I have a netgear WGR614 (though v6)... hopefully it has fewer issues than the v5...... :(

also awesome news about thge wifi settings.. if I boot up Animal Crossing and my wifi settings are already there, I might mess my pants right there and then.

Teddman

WTF, why can't I play with the D-Link 514? It's a B router period, what's this compatibility business?

Fucking Nintendo.

aparisi2274

I have the netgear WGR614, but not sure which version... I am sure its version 3, which as far as I can tell doesnt look to be a supported router...

borghe

that is not a supported/unsupported list. it seems to only be a known comatibility list.

Satter

Banned
Synbios459 said:
Question: Can I just go to a hotspot and play online without the dongle, or is it needed no matter what?

The dongle is used to convert wired internet into wireless internet signals. If you're in a WiFi hotspot then you in an area that has the wireless internet signals. You need the dongle.

blahness

aparisi2274 said:
I have the netgear WGR614, but not sure which version... I am sure its version 3, which as far as I can tell doesnt look to be a supported router...
I have a v3 as well but please dont base its compatibility on the results of the v5 model...

koam

Teddman said:
WTF, why can't I play with the D-Link 514? It's a B router period, what's this compatibility business?

Fucking Nintendo.

No idea. I have a 524, claims it works but i'm skeptical.

Teddman

Looking at Nintendo's site, it seems that all Netgear routers have "compatibility problems." Netgear's a pretty popular router brand, how did they get past this stage of Q&A, I'm wondering? I mean, when your service is not compatible with an entire brand (a top three brand) of router, wouldn't you retool it to make it work...

There are going to be a lot of folks miffed when they can't get online if this holds out. Is the PSP wi-fi also incompatible with a wide variety of routers?

borghe

Teddman said:
Looking at Nintendo's site, it seems that all Netgear routers have "compatibility problems." Netgear's a pretty popular router brand, how did they get past this stage of Q&A, I'm wondering? I mean, when your service is not compatible with an entire brand (a top three brand) of router, wouldn't you retool it to make it work...

There are going to be a lot of folks miffed when they can't get online if this holds out. Is the PSP wi-fi also incompatible with a wide variety of routers?
as others have said, netgear's routers are HORRIBLE when it comes to compatibility.. look at amazon, new egg, or similar customer review capable sites and you will see loads of complaints about netgear products. and please do not respond to this with "I have a netgear router and it works flawless." I have one also and it works ok (but definitely exhibits flakiness more than occassionally). But there is lots of hardware out there that has trouble working with those routers. don't automatically pin it on Nintendo.

but really this also has nothing to do with Netgear either (well, part of it). Anyone who does networking will tell you that intermixing wireless AP brands with wireless NIC brands almost always equals a recipe for disaster. the fact of the matter is that WiFi isn't ready for primetime (despite already being there... lol)

I predict it will be a pain in the ass for some to get their DSes working, the same way it is a pain for others to get a specific NIC working with a specific router that they picked both up on sale at Best Buy last week. It is the current state of wireless.. At least Nintendo has given EVERYONE a guaranteed way of getting online withou dropping cash on a new router (dongle). They should at least be commended for that.

Teddman said:
ding ding ding ding.... we have a winner. why yes, yes it does have connectivity problems with a whole variety of routers. :)

Teddman

At least Nintendo has given EVERYONE a guaranteed way of getting online withou dropping cash on a new router (dongle). They should at least be commended for that.
True, at least I can go get a Big Mac and play.

But still:

Of the three most popular router brands--Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link--more than half (7 out of 13 listed) of the router models have compatibility problems.

All Netgear routers have problems.

Half of the Linksys routers have problems.

And I happen to have the one D-Link router that has problems.

Is the situation just as dire with the PSP? That's a pretty high failure rate.

blahness

Teddman said:

I had a problem getting my PSP connected with my Netgear WRG614v3... i had to upgrade the firmware to the latest version to get it to connect to any servers. Hopefully the DS wont be a problem for me :|

borghe

Teddman said:
True, at least I can go get a Big Mac and play.
again, I was referring to the dongle which is 100% compatible.

Of the three most popular router brands--Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link--more than half (7 out of 13 listed) of the router models have compatibility problems.
again, it is of those listed. this is not an end all be all compatibility listings for routers. it looks like they basically included popular routers that don't work and readily available routers that do work.

And I happen to have the one D-Link router that has problems.
umm.. your router is dirt old. they don't even make it anymore (not even a new revision).

I already posted (as have others). yes... getting the PSP to work on a router can be just as much a pain in the ass as getting any other wifi NIC (and DS and Palm and PPC and wifi phone, etc) working on a router. This isn't a nintendo problem, it is a wifi problem, one that has existed from the beginning.

Teddman

Btw, just checked around the web and the D-Link 514 works with the PSP.

NO EXCUSES NINTENDO

EDIT: Is it possible that Nintendo is just not being very thorough in their testing? From the wi-fi site:

Factors that were considered when rating these routers included determining if the router was able to work with the Nintendo WFC right out of the box, wireless range, and high tolerance to wireless interference.

From a PSP forum:
To get the PSP to work on your DI-514 go to the D-link website and go to support and download the firmware update of 1.03 (or latest one) and viola! it should work now, i had the same problems untill i updated to the 1.03 version and everything connected fine.

Teddman

I now think that Nintendo probably just quickly tested these models and didn't always bother to update firmware in all cases. Given the amount of routers they had to test in a short timeframe, that's understandable I guess.

Hopefully the 514 will work with a little tweaking, it seems there's no technical reason it shouldn't be able to...

koam

Teddman said:
I now think that Nintendo probably just quickly tested these models and didn't always bother to update firmware in all cases. Given the amount of routers they had to test in a short timeframe, that's understandable I guess.

Hopefully the 514 will work with a little tweaking, it seems there's no technical reason it shouldn't be able to...

I'd think so. I can't possibly see Nintendo asking people to update their firmware

why mario kart DS sucks!!

no multiplayer battle mode = SUCKS!!!

how can battle wifi work just great....racing wifi work great... racing online work great... but battle mode online be any different?! why god why?!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
digitalKiva said:

how can battle wifi work just great....racing wifi work great... racing online work great... but battle mode online be any different?! why god why?!

am cry?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
digitalKiva said:

boo hoo cry me a fucking river

borghe

digitalKiva said:
but battle mode online be any different?! why god why?!
because nintendo knows that to truly play battle mode you have to be able to punch your buddy in the nose. no buddy = alternate source for venting your rage. nintendo was trying to prevent sado-masochism or spouse/parent/sibling abuse.

tenchir

borghe said:
because nintendo knows that to truly play battle mode you have to be able to punch your buddy in the nose. no buddy = alternate source for venting your rage. nintendo was trying to prevent sado-masochism or spouse/parent/sibling abuse.

Totally agree with you. The best multiplayer games I ever played are with friends. It is so much fun when you are also applying verbal, mental, and physical abuses to your buddies.

jamesinclair said:
Im in college, and theres university wi-fi. To get on using the PC, I need to start up "Cisco Systems VPN client", and then insert my username and password to acess the network.

Will I be able to play Nintendo DS games, or will I have to but the dongle?

Dongle. It's sort of the same here at FSU. To use the university's Wi-Fi we need to open up a web browser and the network will hijack it and take it to the university login page. After you login you can access the internet. Seeing as there is no way to bring up a web browser on the DS (or any way to use the Cisco Systems VPN Client in your case), I'd need to login via my laptop and then bridge my DS over via Nintendo's USB adaptor. You'd need to do the same thing only you'd be logging in via the VPN instead of the web like I do.

As for not battle mode (or holding items behind you, or some of the levels) not being available for Wi-Fi, it's because there are too many moving objects to account for. Rather than let the game get laggy with all that shit flying around Nintendo decided to just drop those features from Wi-Fi so people wouldn't have a shitty gameplay experience online.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
No doubt Mario Kart will be fun although lacking in several areas. And single player will of course rock but who is looking forward to Tony Hawks?

After watching the Video Presintation of it on Gamespot Im looking forward to this more then Mario Kart I think. Anyone else with me?

Beezy

Yay! I got Mariokart on Monday and I just completed the missions.

***= 43
**= 18
*=2

I don't have a wireless router or the dongle right now, but hopefully I'll be online before Christmas.

Beezy

Of course, the thread dies when I'm finally able to get online...

My friend code is:

Someone please respond!

My friend code is:

I'm usually in the bathroom around 8-9pm Central so that'd usually the time I'm online. Sometimes when I go to bed too but that's a few hours later.

Central is two hours later I think.

That's just a general time period though. I get on here and there fairly random but those are the most likely times I'm on WFC.

Beezy

Haha. I was wondering who I was playing. I tried my best to block you when you used the 'shrooms, but I failed. :(

Glass Joe

Ever meet a sore winner in MK? We did a random 4-player match, it quickly dropped down to us two, and the last race, he was more than 10 pts ahead, so i decided to check my email and let him win (I don't "drop"). But he wouldn't race until I did. So fine, fuck you, I raced, I wasn't gonna drop, and it was Wario Stadium (which I'm pretty great at) and I was whoopin him and stopped at the last turn on the 3rd lap to prove my point. And he saw that and dropped. Huh, wtf. I don't get the win, but you get the loss, douche!

Beezy

Yeah, in one night I've met a lot of assholes online.

Can someone explain to me how wins and losses work? Before I had 2 wins and 3 losses, but now I have 8 wins and 0 losses. Where did my losses go?

Top Bottom