• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: DS / WiFi Connection thread

mj1108 said:
Battle Mode is now ONLINE??!?!!?!?!?!?!!

Well the arenas i saw in the spanish footage version didnt impress me much, where the hell are the classic style arenas of snes mk and the yoshi cookie arena from DD???

Rlan

The DS Battle video actually showed 8 players in the battle arena. I wonder how that will go fo the other battle courses :\

koam

I hope, oh do I hope, that Nintendo has the decency to give us CPU bots for battle mode. If they don't, I'll never be able to see 8 player battle mode.

Taichu

GAF, my memory isn't clear.

Is Block Fort the map with the 4 differently-colored structures connected my bridges, or the map with different levels of flooring with a hole in the middle of the top?

I hope its the first...

mj1108

Taichu said:
GAF, my memory isn't clear.

Is Block Fort the map with the 4 differently-colored structures connected my bridges, or the map with different levels of flooring with a hole in the middle of the top?

I hope its the first...

doubledeck.gif

doubledeckmap.jpg

http://www.planetnintendo.com/mariokart/mk64/battlemode.html

koam said:
I hope, oh do I hope, that Nintendo has the decency to give us CPU bots for battle mode. If they don't, I'll never be able to see 8 player battle mode.

The battle mode can actually be played in 1 player for the first time IIRC. Which would mean they already have bots made for it... I wonder and hope myself.

Gessle

I've been watching the Battle mode video of the Spanish final build, and yes, there are bots (you can actually play alone against 7 CPU opponents). You can also set the level of the CPU (easy, normal, hard) and make teams.
Seems like tomorrow some press members will have a chance to test the wi-fi mode in the final version, so we should know more details about the modes available for wi-fi play.

radioheadrule83 said:
The battle mode can actually be played in 1 player for the first time IIRC. Which would mean they already have bots made for it... I wonder and hope myself.

Well you can see in the spanish Videos that he plays Battle Mode vs 7 CPUs. So... Yep it's possible.

And here I made the palette for the decals you can draw in MKDS (32x32 pixels) based on the videos. The .zip contains a .act palette.

Btw; woot, my first post after waiting some weeks to get the Account unlocked! ô/ Guys

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That Konno Nintendo Power thing is really old, like at least a few months. I really don't think battle mode is online.

conker

Banned
I want CONFIRMED:

Which Battle Modes, if any, will be online. (I assume we'll get the traditional balloon battles, and maybe some lame shine get mode or a decent bomb mode. These are what I mean by "Battle Modes." Hopefully at least Balloon Battle is online)

Number of human opponents possible in each online mode.
Hopefully 8. At least 4. Any less = :(

Beezy

Unless there are ghost levels or battle mode stages from the snes MK, I don't care if they bring back the feather or not. *prays for both*

Deku

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
That Konno Nintendo Power thing is really old, like at least a few months. I really don't think battle mode is online.
How old? pre-E3? At E3 he commented battle mode wasn't on-line.

Mihail

Banned
What makes Battle Mode more fun than racing? I'm not hating on Battle; just never got why it's so much more wildly popular.

Deku

Banned
Mihail said:
What makes Battle Mode more fun than racing? I'm not hating on Battle; just never got why it's so much more wildly popular.

It's a fun multiplayer experience and i'm still trying to find out if its online.

PkunkFury

Why do people like the feather so much? It was completely broken! The biggest complaint I ever see about MarioKart is that winning is too random, you can be awesome and some loser can trump you with a kick ass item at the end, ect. So why would you want the feather back? It just lets people who suck jump over walls/pits and win.

I guess the feather would be all right if it could be restricted to jumping over hazzards or occasional low walls, but in a 3D mariokart they would have to feather-proof every major wall just to make sure people couldn't cut half a lap off where they weren't supposed to. This would not only be a pain in the ass for developers but it would also make the courses look crowded due to the high obstacles. Don't be surprised if the feather never comes back

koam

Mihail said:

Killing things is fun. Hasn't TV taught you anything?

DrLazy

PkunkFury said:
Why do people like the feather so much? It was completely broken! The biggest complaint I ever see about MarioKart is that winning is too random, you can be awesome and some loser can trump you with a kick ass item at the end, ect. So why would you want the feather back? It just lets people who suck jump over walls/pits and win.

I guess the feather would be all right if it could be restricted to jumping over hazzards or occasional low walls, but in a 3D mariokart they would have to feather-proof every major wall just to make sure people couldn't cut half a lap off where they weren't supposed to. This would not only be a pain in the ass for developers but it would also make the courses look crowded due to the high obstacles. Don't be surprised if the feather never comes back

The fact that "people who suck" still have a decent chance in Mario Kart is what makes the game so much fun. Its why you can play the game with girls instead of just a sausage fest. I mean skill does mean something, but its not everything, in the game.

someone please find out what nintendo power issue that quote that koam provided is from? issue 197 (pokemon XD on the cover)? issue 196 (harry potter on the conver)?

Nick

Actually... there really is no such thing as "skill" in Mario Kart. The whole game is random/broken, but... that doesn't make it a boring game. The fun of the game to begin with is how random it actually is.

bummyhead

dot-Nick said:
Actually... there really is no such thing as "skill" in Mario Kart. The whole game is random/broken, but... that doesn't make it a boring game. The fun of the game to begin with is how random it actually is.

I really would not go that far. Mario Kart certainly has it's "random" elements, but skill plays a huge role as well.

conker

Banned
No no, there is skill.
There's an obvious difference between those who can drive a kart and those who can't. Who can powerslide and who can't. Who knows how to effectively use weapons and who can't.

Battle is a little more random, but skill still plays a big role. Yes, casual gamer bob will win a few rounds against the local geek hero, but who cares?

PkunkFury

DrLazy said:
The fact that "people who suck" still have a decent chance in Mario Kart is what makes the game so much fun. Its why you can play the game with girls instead of just a sausage fest. I mean skill does mean something, but its not everything, in the game.

Eh, this is true, I played all the way through MKDD with my girl as the gunner. I guess I stressed the random part too much, really my concern with the feather is that people could really use it to take advantage of the game. Hell, in MK64 people found out how to jump over walls and cut laps down to 5 seconds without the feather. Imagine if the feather had been included!

The last thing I want to see is online being ruined because people spend all of their time driving in circles over the question blocks until the get a feather so they can hop past half the track. And yes their is skill invovled in MarioKart, pleanty, especially when you go back to the SNES edition. Ghost races are a good example, but skilled drivers can find an edge when racing other players too.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't know the issue number, and I'd only guess it was the August issue, but this site has the same info from July 13th.

I'm sure we'd have some confirmation of it since then if it was the case still.

fresquito

One question, could I go online with a WiFi PCI card? I use it for demo downloads, but I´m not sure if I will be able to play with it :-/

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I think you can if you use some software to turn it into a access point... Im sure someone did it with there PSP or something.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
no WPA? :(

looks like I'm grabbing one of the neighbors' internet connections to race you guys.

ratcliffja said:
For those still wondering, this was posted back in July at IGN. It's extremely old and most likely false now.
I assume you mean the Battle-Mode online thing, yeah. Sounded like an old interview to me too, because those teammode pics are from the newest scans...
There seem to be no other information about it, weirdly....

koam

borghe said:
no WPA? :(

looks like I'm grabbing one of the neighbors' internet connections to race you guys.

Ditto, though I'm wondering. If only three connections are shown, what happens if you have like 8 in the place you are? That's my situation, there are about 8-9 wifi connections that my laptop can connect to including my own.

japtor

One question, could I go online with a WiFi PCI card? I use it for demo downloads, but I´m not sure if I will be able to play with it :-/
if youre connected to the internet through ethernet, you can share that connection through the wifi card.
Ditto, though I'm wondering. If only three connections are shown, what happens if you have like 8 in the place you are? That's my situation, there are about 8-9 wifi connections that my laptop can connect to including my own.
probably will show the strongest connections, otherwise maybe have a scroll bar pop up and have a full list?

Nester

koam said:

Are you talking about only 3 connections as shown in the following picture?
el4bol.jpg

If so, I believe that's three preset connection configurations. For example, I'm going to have one setup for connecting to my home network where I have one SSID and a WEP key, one setup for my work network where I have a different SSID for the network and a different WEP key then at home. My third one will be used for open networks where I can just scan for a SSID or input the SSID and not have to enter a WEP key.

Once you select one of those 3 connections, you can scan for networks and it will show you all available ones, not just the top three.

Top Bottom