• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart: DS / WiFi Connection thread

japtor

polg said:
has the dongle's mac support been confirmed or denied?
in some recent interview (i forget where, but i saw it posted on gaf somewhere), they said windows 98/me/xp i think, nothing about mac support mentioned. theres a possibility of them (buffalo?) releasing drivers later on, but they havent done it for their airstation product (which is similar or identical to nintendos iirc). if buffalo doesnt make any, someone might hack up their own, who knows.
mutsu said:
Does anyone know if the Apple's AirPort Express will work for the WiFi connection? Theoritically it should be a wireless router, but can only one confirm that?
yeah, the ap express is a standard 802.11g access point/router. should work fine.

polg

I'd like to add that the confirmed release date for NZ is November 15th... which should be the same for AU.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Australia's date is the 17th for Mario Kart and the 16th for Tony Hawks.

That is 100% confirmed Nintendo AU have it and so does EB now.

mutsu said:
Does anyone know if the Apple's AirPort Express will work for the WiFi connection? Theoritically it should be a wireless router, but can only one confirm that?

thats what I have at home I may need to turn off the password protection :(

I wish it was black with two red stripes or something of the like. I really don't like it being that deep red colour throughout, else I would definately buy this pack. I still think the best looking DS colour is the early promotion Nintendo had with Pepsi in Japan, that blue and silver mix looked awesome.
Looks like i'll just have to get a regular DS and the game when it comes out.
MK is gonna be awesome though.

EternalDarko said:
I wish it was black with two red stripes or something of the like. I really don't like it being that deep red colour throughout, else I would definately buy this pack. I still think the best looking DS colour is the early promotion Nintendo had with Pepsi in Japan, that blue and silver mix looked awesome.
Looks like i'll just have to get a regular DS and the game when it comes out.
MK is gonna be awesome though.

I wanted white with two red stripes :(

Aurora

VOOK said:
Australia's date is the 17th for Mario Kart and the 16th for Tony Hawks.

That is 100% confirmed Nintendo AU have it and so does EB now.

Australia gets it before the UK... wtf.

VOOK

Yeah we used to get just rebadged version of the UK games but Nintendo AU got smart and is now just doing it to the US version so we get it quicker :D

Mihyaeru

Any word on how I could play with specific people such as someone on here from the forums or something will there be screen names?

VOOK

Yeah you ad people to your Friend list with a Password that is generated on each game and DS. That allows people to have more then one screename and people to use the same name.

Rlan

Does anybody know if we will we all have to work through Nintendo.com, or will there be a specific site to go to [for all Countries]?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Aurora said:
Australia gets it before the UK... wtf.

aus and new zealand almost always seem to get games a little before, as someone said, the language thing.

Mihyaeru

VOOK said:
Yeah you ad people to your Friend list with a Password that is generated on each game and DS. That allows people to have more then one screename and people to use the same name.

Thanks!

VOOK

Well I know there is Nintendowifi.com, and if you go to nintendowifi.com.au and nintendowifi.co.uk it redirects you to Nintendo.com, that happens when ever something is happening on that url. So im sure'll we'll have our own regional sites. Because in the game you can select to play only people from your region.

Should be good. Ill be keeping an eye out.

koam

Btw, for those who asked if the wifi dongle from nintendo is MAC compatible. The dongle itself is but i'm not so sure about the software.

However, you can always purchase a regular wifi dongle from another company that works for MACs and you will be fine. Basically, all you need is a WEP or Open Wifi connection.

The only question that has yet to be answered is how people will communicate through this network. Sure I have 60 friends on my list to play Mario Kart with, but how do I talk to communicate with them to let them know I want to a) play Mario Kart and not Animal Crossing or whatever and b) ask certain friends to join in a round.

I was hoping for a picto-chat like interface for a "friends lobby", but I can't be sure.

koam

JasoNsider said:
The only question that has yet to be answered is how people will communicate through this network. Sure I have 60 friends on my list to play Mario Kart with, but how do I talk to communicate with them to let them know I want to a) play Mario Kart and not Animal Crossing or whatever and b) ask certain friends to join in a round.

I was hoping for a picto-chat like interface for a "friends lobby", but I can't be sure.

There has to be a lobby of some form. You'd have to be able to see who's online and speak to them to arrange a game. I'm expecting DSpeak to a standard in about a year's time.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
JasoNsider said:

I'm not sure it works that way. Even in local wireless mode, I can only search for people for the game I'm in. For example, I can't turn on the DS and have it search the area for whatever games people are playing wirelessly. I have to go into pictochat and check there for other pictochatters, then into Mario for Mario players, then switch to Metroid and so on.

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling it might work the same way in the online games. As in if you put in Mario Kart and search your friends list, it'll only show people online at that point playing Mario Kart, rather than just being able to find that people are playing either Animal Crossing or Tony Hawk and joining in with whichever has more.

Hopefully I've not got that right and every online DS game has something built in which tells the DS to search for all other online titles too, assuming that's possible.

koam

bune duggy said:
does that help at all? I really don't know what any of it means to tell you the truth.

Well they have this on their site:

In the lower right-hand corner of your task bar, browse for your visible wireless network icon.
Select the Clark_Students network name.
Select “No Encryption” and the lowest level of security.
In Windows XP, check “Allow me to connect to the selected wireless network even though it is not secure.”

It's an open network. You should be able to go there with the DS and simply click on "Clark_students" on your DS and you'll be okay.

Spencerr

Banned
koam said:
Well they have this on their site:

It's an open network. You should be able to go there with the DS and simply click on "Clark_students" on your DS and you'll be okay.

You don't get outside internet access unless you login through a web page with a student id.

Clark College said:
If I do not have a Clark College student account, can I still use the system?
Yes. If you are a guest of Clark College, you are entitled to a guest acount that is limited in access to only Clark College web sites.

Memles

I'm not sure how it's going to work with my campus wireless, but I am doubting it is going to work. Thus, I am definitely buying a dongle.

koam

Spencerr said:
You don't get outside internet access unless you login through a web page with a student id.

Hmm, It depends on how they're set up. They might only block internet access (i.e ports 80 and 8080) but have others free.

koam

We have information from Nintendo Power's interview on Mario Kart DS.

Features

-Over 30 courses

-Approximately half of the courses are new

-8 Player Single-Card download play

-4 Player online mode via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

-You can choose the same characters in Multiplayer mode, for example, everyone can be Mario but you will be able to tell the difference because of the players names over the karter's head.

-Battle Mode is available

-Computer A.I is improved

-Battle Mode is available online, but no co-op play

-The Touch Screen can be used to draw decals on your karts (no doubt parts of the body)

-Possible touch-control steering

-The DS features will be used, Hideki Konno said they wanted to make a Balloon weapon where you blow on the microphone to blow the balloon up

-The feather item from Super Mario Kart is being considered

"In our interview with Hideki Konno yesterday, the producer of Mario Kart DS gave us new details on the game's online mode and updates to the weapons and battle mode. He says the theme of the new Mario Kart is an expansion of the multiplayer and community aspects that the series is known for. The LAN mode is the ideal form of multiplayer, because up to eight players can compete (on a single game card), and the gameplay is locked in at sixty frames per second. The online WiFi mode supports four players, and the team is working very hard to achieve the same framerate as with LAN mode, but they aren't there yet. In a first for the Mario Kart series, players will be able to choose the same character simultaneously, so you can have a race of eight Marios. Individual players are still identifiable during the race, because the registered DS system name will be displayed above each player's character.

Mario Kart DS aims to be the biggest MK game yet, with over thirty courses and approximately half of those being brand new. The rest are courses ported from previous Mario Kart games, chosen for their nostalgic appeal. Battle mode is returning and is more or less the same as in past games, but the computer A.I. is being enhanced so that the mode will be fun even for a single player battling against bots. Additionally, Mr. Konno said the battle mode will probably be enabled for online play, as with the racing gameplay. Since all the karts in MKDS are built for just one character, there is no cooperative mode like the one found in the GameCube's Double Dash.

Although the game will be extremely familiar to fans of the series (don't expect any huge changes to the way it plays), Mr. Konno's team is looking at several ways to use the DS input features. The touch screen can be used to draw custom decals to decorate your favorite kart, and touch screen steering is being considered (though it would probably be optional, as the E3 demo is played entirely with the D-pad and buttons). As for weapons, the team would like to implement some new items that use the DS features, such as a balloon that is inflated by blowing into the microphone. By the way, we asked Konno-san about the feather item, and he said that he would keep it in mind."

more info

oh and check this out, some of the weapons that are known to be in the game:
MKDS-Items.png

Spencerr

Banned
Woooooooooo @ online battle mode

Edit: Why does that interview sound like they're not done with a game that comes out next month...

Is this old info and therefore not confirmation of online battle mode :(

Amir0x

Banned
koam said:
I'll put it in the main post, but i need a source first.

Sorry, source is me (from someone, obviously). I wouldn't put it in the main post, but just know it's out there.

koam

Spencerr said:
Woooooooooo @ online battle mode

Edit: Why does that interview sound like they're not done with a game that comes out next month...

Is this old info and therefore not confirmation of online battle mode :(

Well it's from Nintendo Power, it's probably a couple of months behind.

Oh and amir0x, no prob.

conker

Banned
Damn, I've set my router up to do WPA, and only 802.11g, not b.
I guess I can set it to g/b.

I already set up MAC address filters, so I can just switch to no encryption, and add the DSs MAC address. Then turn my filters on.

It's not as secure as WPA, or even WEP, but none of the morons here should care enough/be smart enough to sniff out and clone MAC addresses.

My question is - do ALL DSs have the same MAC address?
Someone mentioned in the other thread that they all had the same MAC address. I find that hard to believe. Don't ALL MAC addresses EVERYWHERE have to be unique?

And - BATTLE MODE PLEASE. MK DS NEEDS IT!

japtor

Smiles and Cries said:
thats what I have at home I may need to turn off the password protection :(
its been mentioned that you can add the ds mac address to a router/access point access list so it can bypass the password without disabling the password for whatever else. never actually tried it myself (cause i didnt know that was possible), but thats an option if its true. on the airport express admin the mac address filtering stuff is in the 2nd to last tab i think.

if i were still at uci i could get on the network there, you only needed to register mac addresses with the system. basically just an open network with only mac address filtering.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that they all had the same MAC address. I find that hard to believe. Don't ALL MAC addresses EVERYWHERE have to be unique?
they should all be unique.

koam

conker said:
Damn, I've set my router up to do WPA, and only 802.11g, not b.
I guess I can set it to g/b.

I already set up MAC address filters, so I can just switch to no encryption, and add the DSs MAC address. Then turn my filters on.

It's not as secure as WPA, or even WEP, but none of the morons here should care enough/be smart enough to sniff out and clone MAC addresses.

And - BATTLE MODE PLEASE. MK DS NEEDS IT!

You could always shut off your pc if you're really paranoid when you use MAC filtering.

conker

Banned
no, thats not the issue, the issue is someone using my bandwidth.

I don't give a shit if someone tries to access my computer.

koam said:
more info

oh and check this out, some of the weapons that are known to be in the game:
MKDS-Items.png

Oh no, flying spiky. I liked the old type that would hit other people on the way.

I assumed that the ground spikey would be back and the bullet bill would take the place of flying spikey.

Akia

OH MY GOD! BATTLE MODE ONLINE! I JUST CREAMED MY PANT!

But since the interview was probably from september they should have good amount of time. Hopefully right now, the game is just being tweaked, and the frame rate online has been locked.

Top Bottom