• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 9 is in active development (and comes with a new twist)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://gamingbolt.com/mario-kart-9-is-in-active-development-and-comes-with-a-new-twist-analyst-says
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ming-in-2022-analysts-offer-their-predictions

What will the twist be GAF? Open world a la Horizon? Story mode? Smash Kart?

I am aware Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still selling very well on the Nintendo Switch, but Mario Kart 9 is in active development (and comes with a new twist) and Nintendo could tease it this year. On mobile, Nintendo has been very silent since Mario Kart Tour's launch in 2019, but I think 2022 is when we will see an established IP arriving on smart devices again.

NeoGiffer

40d9ddcb-5af4-4019-9d98-d19502b5483a_text.gif

Knightime_X

I want a mario kart with Completely randomized tracks, hazards and events.
Sure I would also like static tracks but being able to select randomized tracks ESPECIALLY online would be incredible.

Excite bike did this but at a minimum.
I need the entirely to be procedurally generated.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sure I would also like static tracks but being able to select randomized tracks ESPECIALLY online would be incredible.

Procedurally generated Mario Kart tracks would be awesome. It would anger people who always win because they have everything memorized. That would be hilarious.

Spaceman292

Banned

That's a terrible idea. No one ever looked at Mario Kart and said, 'You know what? This would be better if it was EVEN MORE infuriating!'

i'd be up for a Horizon twist. Open world and you explore it and do all different kinds of races. of course they would still keep the classic experience

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I really hope they make MK9 playable alone more. Now there is literally no reason to play it unless you have people over. But the gameplay is great… be creative Nintendo!

cireza

Banned
If it's not broke don't fix it.
And enjoy playing the exact same game for the tenth time !

The new twist : at the beginning of the race, the winner is randomly chosen in advance. Then players proceed with the race and even if someone else finishes first, the results show the randomly chosen guy as the winner.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
unless they put an adventure mode like DKR I'm out.
Mario Kart has been the inferior product since Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing did it better, and I've never understood why Mario Kart continues to get so much love. Is it because it's the only player in town when Sonic All Star isn't around?

Add characters from Splatoon, Arms, Xenoblade etc. Make a story mode and tons of collectable stuff like Diddy Kong Racing. Add skins and costumes to the mix, make them purchasable through the eShop. For good measure, sell Mario Kart NFT on OpenSea.

Also, let Keanu Reeves play it live on stage to talk about how breathtaking everything is.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Mario Kart has been the inferior product since Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing did it better, and I've never understood why Mario Kart continues to get so much love. Is it because it's the only player in town when Sonic All Star isn't around?

Its the game everyone thinks they must own. Id love to know many hours people actually play it on average. Mario Kart could be so much better, but since it always sells a gazillion, Nintendo doesnt even have to try.

MK8 doesnt even have Block Fort…

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Mario Kart doesn't need any twist.

If it's not broke don't fix it.
Mario Kart games have had a twist for years though.

Mario Kart: Double Dash had two riders per kart
Mario Kart Wii had the motion controls and the steering wheel accessory
I don't actually know if Mario Kart 7 had any type of twist
But Mario Kart 8 had the anti gravity crap

These are probably the type of twists they're talking about. And it's not a big surprise. MK always has them

Soodanim

Gold Member
Its the game everyone thinks they must own. Id love to know many hours people actually play it on average. Mario Kart could be so much better, but since it always sells a gazillion, Nintendo doesnt even have to try.

I bought 8 on Wii U to have a 2 player game to play, which was an average time. I played it single player a couple times too, and not only have I not touched it since, I'm done with the series. I'd say I'm at about 10-15 hours total. Definitely less than any of the other games I mentioned (DKR, CTR, Sonic). Sonic wasn't amazing, but it was better than MK.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
More characters from Nintendo and outside Nintendo wont do any damage to the game

Adding different characters isn't a twist. That's just a cosmetic change.

Mario Kart games have had a twist for years though.

Mario Kart: Double Dash had two riders per kart
Mario Kart Wii had the motion controls and the steering wheel accessory
But Mario Kart 8 had the anti gravity crap

These are probably the type of twists they're talking about. And it's not a big surprise. MK always has them

Mario Kart Wii motion controls was optional, so not a major twist. The anti-gravity from MK8 isn't really a twist as such, it just resulted in some tracks having loops. Nothing crazy.

Double Dash and it's two riders per kart was a twist, but a really shit one. I'd even go so far as saying that MK: DD is easily the worst MK game Nintendo have ever produced. Pure trash.

Last edited:

Fbh

Hopefully it's either a more robust single player experience (like a story mode) or a bigger presence from other Nintendo franchises

I think the gimmick in MK7 was the whole gliding thing (that's also in 8)

usctrojan

praying for reduced rubber band ai/algo. perfect laps should be rewarded and blue turtle frequency reduced or user controlled

Knightime_X

That's a terrible idea. No one ever looked at Mario Kart and said, 'You know what? This would be better if it was EVEN MORE infuriating!'
You would still have your basic static tracks like always.
But to spice it up you can also have procedurally generated ones as well.

In the PG ones the race will constantly be interesting.

praying for reduced rubber band ai/algo. perfect laps should be rewarded and blue turtle frequency reduced or user controlled
This.

Also, they can add characters from other Nintendo IPs. Link was the start. Enough of the baby/metal/cat/poop-colored variations of the same base characters!

Arsic

It’ll be a full blown e sport title with a competitive circuit .

JK!

The twist will be you have to buy some new peripheral to put up your ass so you can feel the blue shell fucking you hard.

RCU005

It’s going to be Mario Kart: Breath of the Wild!

In all honesty. Give us characters, items and tracks from different franchises. Make this the new Smash Bros. They started it with 8 and we can’t go back.

subsmoke

Anyone else want to see the wacky crash mechanics in Mario Kart 64 make a comeback? I don't like how in the later games you just neatly roll over when you get hit by a shell. When I get hit by a shell I wanna go flying. Also they need to ditch the thing where Lakitu puts you back on the track immediately if you fall off. There's no need for that.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Anyone else want to see the wacky crash mechanics in Mario Kart 64 make a comeback? I don't like how in the later games you just neatly roll over when you get hit by a shell. When I get hit by a shell I wanna go flying. Also they need to ditch the thing where Lakitu puts you back on the track immediately if you fall off. There's no need for that.

Maybe make it more realistic, when you crash you can die.

Lognor

Banned

Adding different characters isn't a twist. That's just a cosmetic change.

Mario Kart Wii motion controls was optional, so not a major twist. The anti-gravity from MK8 isn't really a twist as such, it just resulted in some tracks having loops. Nothing crazy.

Double Dash and it's two riders per kart was a twist, but a really shit one. I'd even go so far as saying that MK:DD is easily the worst MK game Nintendo have ever produced. Pure trash.
Okay, regardless this is the type of twist that you can expect. Nothing too crazy...unless it's like Double Dash......yeah, that one wasn't great!

Top Bottom