• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 9 is in active development (and comes with a new twist)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Always look forward to a new Mario Kart, it's been 8 years! But this ain't happening until at least 2024/ 2025.
The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Slap GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hey guys, just wanted to go on the record that I too am looking forward to another Mario Kart whenever that might release.

Not a twist, but I think the flight sections in maps should be much larger or more interactive. Currently, you just float down to the next section and there really isn't a lot of involvement. I'd like to see more maneuverability with players having to take advantage of wind currents, thermals, and perhaps boosts.

I was thrilled with the new twist of the gravity sections. I love the disorienting sense of movement and not knowing which way is up or down. Shy Guy Falls is probably one of my favorite tracks. I don't know what they could possibly do as a new twist though. Like others have mentioned, maybe they'll add planes or boats or something. Nintendo should make it to where you can get out of your vehicle and go through obstacles on foot, a la the mario games.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Adding planes (not gliders) and boats (not underwater version of the cars) version of all vehicles with insane tracks that utilize land, sea, and air would be amazing.

Though I don't see Nintendo being that smart.

Last edited:
You can enter paitings during races, which makes you play the corresponding mario 64 level. Mario kart 8 is so old now that the difference between games wouldnt be noticed

jaysius

Banned
Oh this is fun, lets see.

• items only appear if you pay the fee
  • 10 characters and they all suck, the locked DLC ones that cost extra are OP but Nintendo doesn't care
  • your kart takes "damage" it doesn't effect performance, but it can prevent you from racing, cost in game currency but also the other currency
  • best kart upgrades are all locked behind paywall and are also OP
  • Tracks get "dirty" so you need to pay a currency to "clean" them in order to race on them again.
Welcome To Hell Swerk GIF

Any shitty devs making a F2P racing game, feel free to steal all those rotten ideas, but don't be shocked if nobody plays your shit.

Kabelly

Not even gonna lie my biggest gaming disappointment this year was the announcement of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC tracks. I always felt at this point in the gen they waited too long and should have just been on full swing on Mario Kart 9. Then I saw the timeline of the DLC tracks and was even more saddened because we're probably not getting Mario Kart 9 for at least another 4 years.

mcjmetroid

I like the idea of Smash Kart. Heard it mentioned before related to MK9 but was probably a baseless rumor.
Not every Nintendo game needs every Nintendo character though. I think It diludes smash Bros.

Like if they do it for mario kart people are going to ask for link or Samus in all the sports games, Mario parties and will never stop etc. I love smash Bros but the character requests and guessing the characters was insufferable from fans.

Part of the smash Bros charm is the crossovers and I think it should largely stay there. I think mario kart should be mario with a few guests stars but nothjng more.

Last edited:

gamer82

i enjoyed that allstars transformed game, it's been a minuet since i played it but something like that would be fun. mario and sonic all stars transformed . :messenger_beaming: nintedo drop me adm with the cheque thanks.

Last edited:
Adding planes (not gliders) and boats (not underwater version of the cars) version of all vehicles with insane tracks that utilize land, sea, and air would be amazing.

Though I don't see Nintendo being that smart.
Hmm where have I seen this before 🤔

I've been wanting a Mario kart version of sonic racing transformed since that game came out. Awesome game, but lacks polish/tightness.

Man just think how awesome those transitions could be in Mario kart. Bowser's castle, you drive off the ledge and morph into a plane as a giant Bowser swats at you mid air. 3rd lap, you're on a boat and piranha plants come out of the lava to try and get you. So much cool shit they could do with this.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can't remember. Did people like Double Dash? I had it and liked it, but I tend to like things that serious gamers hate.
It's beloved by most mario kart fans, but i'm of the opposite camp where i think it's a bit overrated for what it is. only 4 cups for a Gamecube game is unacceptable when super circuit had more content
plus it's when mario kart started losing its uniqueness when it came to track design, its the first mario kart where i felt all of the tracks were painfully generic and were just treading old ground, as opposed to MK64 which had tracks like toads turnpike, koopa troopa beach, kalimari desert and yoshi valley. I can't name a lot of double dash tracks that are as iconic or unique. the 2 players per cart concept is unique on paper but doesn't do much besides locking items to a specific combination. MKwii's kart and bike system allowed for much more customization and freedom while also not fucking up the balancing. It's a bad mario kart and a meh kart racer but i still find it fun at times

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Plus, randomly generated content always looks terrible in video games.

When was the last time Nintendo used this? Right, F-Zero X. It was a fun gimmick for 10 minutes until you realized the tracks are generic and uneventful.

Custom tracks made by users though? That would be awesome based on the game's popularity, a lot of good tracks would me made.
Time to penis would possibly prevent this.

Top Bottom