• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 9 is in active development (and comes with a new twist)

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I have a source telling me it is a collaboration with EA.
Mario Kart 9 will be Mario Kart 8 but the number is changed.
Thanks EA

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'd like them to bring back horizontal split screen and get rid of objects that block your view like the squid.

Perhaps bring the double dash concept back.

What did people think of Double Dash when it came out? I thought it was kind of forgettable, but was conceptually a neat idea.

PaintTinJr

What did people think of Double Dash when it came out? I thought it was kind of forgettable, but was conceptually a neat idea.
Double dash has been a staple part of me and my friends 4 player splitscreen gaming since it launched.
Reviewers at the time had lost their hardcore gamer edge and reviewed it badly, Edge magazine even reviewed it twice badly to restate they'd become a casual review outlet IIRC. It and the n64, and DS version should all be called mario kart sim, for no arcade karters.

Double Dash as a co-op team game didn't really work, because all skilled players wanted to do both things themselves, and any miscommunication just resulted in frustration for both people, so the amazing option for 4 cubes and 4 tVs (LAN linked) with 8 co-op teams has probably never been used outside of a Nintendo building, but the introduction of a pairing in the car along with different special pickups that gave rise to the two pickup strategy of storing a weapon for later gave the game such a lift for splitscreen play, along with the graphical refinement improvement from the muddy Mario Kart 64 first outing in 3D.

The maps are still probably the greatest selection for the series, and the time-trialling sound of the bell rapidly dinging and flashing orange when you smashing your ghost time and are at full speed is probably one of my happiest gaming sounds I would love to bottle.

For anyone without friends to play 100hrs a month local play - along with time trialling rivalry and reaching a collective play standard to exploiting the track glitches in game to steal victories or knowing perfect corners and techniques for drift boosting to evade the blue spiney shell - it was probably easy to forget. But for the rest of us it was MK perfection.

TLDR

I hope the twist is that it becomes two games: Sim and Arcade. Sim as a remade enhancement of double dash for local multiplayer - no coins, no bikes, no player assist features, no flying, or surreal zero G , no customising colours or parts crap, the return of big time loss wipeouts with frustration, and the ability to glitch the blue shell to dodge it. And then a version called Arcade as a normal continuation of MK8 Deluxe and everything I've disliked since they made the Wii version.

DonF

Paper Mario Kart
yes-jake-gyllenhaal.gif

Doom85

Some people here hating on Double Dash:

disappointed the audacity GIF by Sacramento Kings

My 2nd favorite game in the series after 8. 64 was great for its time but the series evolved from there, and I only played the Wii one on occasions at friends’ houses so I can’t really comment on that one. I do enjoy the DS and 3DS ones but I prefer MK on the big screen.

nkarafo

That's a terrible idea. No one ever looked at Mario Kart and said, 'You know what? This would be better if it was EVEN MORE infuriating!'
Plus, randomly generated content always looks terrible in video games.

When was the last time Nintendo used this? Right, F-Zero X. It was a fun gimmick for 10 minutes until you realized the tracks are generic and uneventful.

Custom tracks made by users though? That would be awesome based on the game's popularity, a lot of good tracks would me made.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Adventure mode please. Could even make it open world. MK8 has a TERRIBLE single player mode, especially Deluxe where pretty much everything is unlocked from the get go and you get basically nothing for completing stuff.

Pejo

They're not bad enough dudes to do the twist that I want to see.

Make it like Sonic All Stars Transformed and have boat/plane/kart and a bunch of fun guest characters and wacky courses with dynamic setpieces.

They're not bad enough dudes to do the twist that I want to see.

Make it like Sonic All Stars Transformed and have boat/plane/kart and a bunch of fun guest characters and wacky courses with dynamic setpieces.
All stars transformed concept plus mario kart’s polish would be amazing.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I just hope Nintendo does'nt ruin the game adding some kind of gimmick. She does that sometimes.

Hasn't the Mario Kart franchise basically been the complete opposite of that?

I mean what have they done in the last 15 years:

1) Double karts nearly 20 years ago, a bit of a gimmick yeah.

2) Back in Mario Kart DS (I think it was?) they added drafting. Very cool and useful, wouldn't call this a gimmick.

3) Mario Kart Wii brought motorbikes and stuff, yes definitely a gimmick.

4) Mario Kart 7 brought paragliders...meh, debatable whether this is a new gameplay mechanic or gimmick.

Since then, what else? This has been one of the most stagnant franchises in their entire lineup.

Solid? Fun? Polished? Yes yes yes. But innovative? Fuck no, this is as cookie cutter as they come.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
I like the horizon Mario kart idea lol. That would be sick as hell, horizons best levels and modes are basically mini games and Mario kart is “mini game the game” so I think it’d be pretty cool tbh.

jigglet

Banned
I like double dash.

I loved it too, but for the gameplay, not the double kart thing. I thought that was pointless and unnecessary. You could have just given each character two power weapons.

If the double kart thing had a meaningful impact on gameplay then I could be persuaded (e.g. switches between heavy kart with bad handling to light kart with good handling...and you had to be really tactical about when you swapped) then I would be into it.

But no I think it was pointless.

Gameplay though - it was the pinnacle of the franchise IMO. The DS version beats it, but is held back a little due to lack of analogue control.

Boss Man

I like the idea of Smash Kart. Heard it mentioned before related to MK9 but was probably a baseless rumor.

Last edited:

Mozza

An underground mechanic with branching courses and of course a track editor would be nice, would also like to see a open hub world set in the mushroom kingdom, and of course different NPC's from non Nintendo franchises. :)

Robb

Gold Member
”Smash Kart” does sound like a pretty sweet concept. I imagine it’d open the floodgates for some crazy powerups from all kinds of different Nintendo games which could be a lot of fun.

Give me the Stasis-power from BotW so that I can lock people in place and then hit them with something else so that I can send them flying.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The guy who made Mario Kart 8 went on to make Arms, and it's likely he continued to work on the new iteration of Mario Kart after that, so yeah, of course, they have a new Mario Kart in the works, just like they have a new 3D Mario.

But Mario Kart 8 is selling like a new game, they have to see some decline before they push out a new one. Mario Kart 9 or 10 or whatever would be the absolutely perfect game for a new Switch. Mario Kart in 4K would sell 20 million without any marketing. You wouldn't be able to throw it off the shelves fast enough.

PrimeX

God damnit if they release it on anything else but the switch I swear I'll never buy a MK again. I just fucking bought MK8 for switch after owning it on WiiU from release day. I would be pissed to have to buy a new console for MK9

The only twist it needs is to have a decent roster again

Mario, Chef Mario, Blue Mario, old man Mario, Mario 2, Mario Mario, a random friend of Mario, Mario's Shirt and some more Peach versions is embarassing with all the characters the Mario universe offers

Give us a real roster, double kart in DD style who with the Switch double controller mechanic would be a blast, a decent (open world?) - or something similar - story mode like CTR where you can explore levels freely on your kart, and this thing will sell like golden hot cakes for 10.000 years

Flutta

Banned
I’ll welcome a new twist, Mario Kart is always fun but it’s been kinda stale for a while now. Not sure what else they can up with but they def got me curious 👍

gamer82

Give us some day and night cycles. Weather changes. Some rain ,thunder, autum leaves, snow.

How about some portals changing up the tracks.

Would be interesting if Nintendo, in addition to adding a bunch of characters from different IP's, also added every track from all the previous entries. That would definitely be going the Smash route.

Tams

Gold Member
If it doesn't come with topless cheerleaders in the stands, I'm going to be so disappointed.

It was already done before. It's called Diddy Kong Racing.
No. I like dkr, but no.

For starters that game ran at 20fps with dips, and even back then mk64 felt better to play. Even though it has karts, planes snd watercraft, it’s not the same as Sonic where the stage would change mid race snd have you change vehicles on the fly…

Again, dkr is fun, but i’m envisioning something that runs great, feels ultra responsive and has that mid race stage changing as well.

Sonic all stars feels laggier and heavier than mk8 even when it’s running at 60fps on ps5 (sonic team racing) so there is definitely something special there if the MK team ran with the concept. But i’m sure they want to do their own thing, and this is just a fun thought.

Top Bottom