• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 has sold over 2 million units physically and returns to No.1 as Nintendo Switch rules Black Friday | UK Boxed Charts

Ezquimacore

Banned
i dont know man. I wouldnt be boasting about selling a Wii U remaster. They shouldve had a switch MK by now. Built from the ground up on the switch.

The WIi U version came out in 2014 IIRC.
You think the Mario karts developers aren't doing the next Mario Kart? They are and they are taking their sweet time. Like the Zelda team developers taking 5 years developing a sequel for their best selling Zelda game even when they already have the foundation.

Flintty

Pardon? MK 8 is pure profit for them at this point. How exactly do they not like money?
By not making a sequel and selling shit loads more…

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Best MK ever for me, from the looks to the tracks to the driving. Returning to 7 after a year spent on 8, 7 just felt like the worst thing ever and to the local Gamestop it went the day after.

But. The AI is still as obnoxious as ever on 150cc. 150cc was the last I got all the gold trophies in because the scummy, cheating, rubberband AI held me in check for months. And it was still by pure miracle that I finally snatched that 1st place in Big Blue to win the last gold cup - the CPU looked like it was going to get it again until the last curve.
200cc is intense, but seeing the CPU racers slam straight into walls and pits makes it worth it. Not even Nintendo managed to make the CPU cheat there, and that’s saying something.

I just wish there was a way to deactivate single items like in Smash. That fucking lightning bolt is the bane of all good people who just want to have a multiplayer MK race or two without finding themselves screaming freshly-coined profanities at the game. Every. Single. Time. Big reason my friends and I never returned to MK8 after Smash Ultimate came out - which is a shame, ‘cuz I’m much better at MK than Smash.

Luipadre

MK9 when? Im mad at nintendo that they keep supporting the mobile shit version but not this. If you dont want to make a new one atleast support this.

ethomaz

Banned
Call of Duty continue strong.

Battlefield? lol

Seems like stock hurts next-gen console sales... except S nothing more have good stock.
That probably affected overall game sales that are down 100k units compared with last year.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Best MK ever for me, from the looks to the tracks to the driving. Returning to 7 after a year spent on 8, 7 just felt like the worst thing ever and to the local Gamestop it went the day after.

But. The AI is still as obnoxious as ever on 150cc. 150cc was the last I got all the gold trophies in because the scummy, cheating, rubberband AI held me in check for months. And it was still by pure miracle that I finally snatched that 1st place in Big Blue to win the last gold cup - the CPU looked like it was going to get it again until the last curve.
200cc is intense, but seeing the CPU racers slam straight into walls and pits makes it worth it. Not even Nintendo managed to make the CPU cheat there, and that’s saying something.

I just wish there was a way to deactivate single items like in Smash. That fucking lightning bolt is the bane of all good people who just want to have a multiplayer MK race or two without finding themselves screaming freshly-coined profanities at the game. Every. Single. Time. Big reason my friends and I never returned to MK8 after Smash Ultimate came out - which is a shame, ‘cuz I’m much better at MK than Smash.
Double Dash was much more balanced. You could dodge all attacks with skill. They changed this "so that everybody has fun". Yeah lol.

Trimesh

Banned
Double Dash was much more balanced. You could dodge all attacks with skill. They changed this "so that everybody has fun". Yeah lol.

Double Dash was a great game - but it's old enough to vote now. I think Mario Kart 8 is mostly a great game for casual players, which is why it sells so well - I told myself I wasn't going to but it again (I already had it on WiiU), but it turned out I was lying and Nintendo got me again...

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
MK9 isn't happening for Nintendo Switch. They don't want to waste a brand new MK game on Switch when the older one is still selling like a brand new game.

Yup. Save MK9 for the next console and they've got themselves a monster of a system seller straight out of the gate. Meanwhile MK8 is so damn good that the market is still buying it up like a new release all these years later so they're free to take their time with the sequel.

TidusYuna

Mario Kart is a must own on the switch. Just pure fun, every switch owner should have it in their library.

But no offense to Mario Kart, back in the N64 days, Diddy Kong racing was the better game.

Would love to have a modern day Diddy Kong Racing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom