• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

Same boat but it's Nintendo so at most it'll drop to £40 and stay there forever.

I think I was actually wrong about the price when I typed that anyway, I've seen it for £45 or so online (at Argos if you're interested), but I still can't justify paying the same again for the same product. It doesn't make sense.

Other publishers are releasing their remastered 'next gen' versions of their titles prices reflecting the fact that these are old products, Skyrim remastered was $40, The Last of Us was $50, Dishonoured was $40, God of War was $40, Ultra Street Fighter IV was $40. These titles also included all previous DLC.

Who knows though, maybe someone at home will split the cost with me. Perhaps selling my old copy of MK8 Wii U will help justify the additional cost, nevertheless it doesn't seem very well priced relative to the rest of the market. On the other hand, it's the only good kart racing game on the market, so from that perspective Nintendo can sell it for whatever they like, and they know that.

MouldyK

You think we'd be able to play Local Play + Split-Screen?

Like me on my Switch Tablet and 2 other people using 2 Joycons on a TV?

I mean, I know Online Play would fix that, but it's just something that I thought of.

EDIT: I mean me on my Switch (Undocked) and them using another Switch (Docked) in the same room.

plufim

I bought physical but got the DLC. If there is a discount for those who already own MK8, I hope it applies to people on my position. If I can get this for $40US, I'll bite. Bob-omb blast is that good.

I'm also expecting we get exclusive DLC tracks later in the year.

Maybe a dumb question. When doing 4 player local multiplayer with 4 Switches...surely each Switch will get it's own screen, and it won't force each screen to be split 4 ways, right?

Ion Guru

You think we'd be able to play Local Play + Split-Screen?

Like me on my Switch Tablet and 2 other people using 2 Joycons on a TV?

I mean, I know Online Play would fix that, but it's just something that I thought of.
No, if you undock the tablet nothing will be displayed on the TV. It doesn't stream a signal to the dock or anything like that.

MouldyK

No, if you undock the tablet nothing will be displayed on the TV. It doesn't stream a signal to the dock or anything like that.

Sorry, I meant me on my Switch (Undocked) and them using another Switch (Docked) in the same room.

Maybe a dumb question. When doing 4 player local multiplayer with 4 Switches...surely each Switch will get it's own screen, and it won't force each screen to be split 4 ways, right?

That's the layout Nintendo showed off at events, so yeah.

plidex

I preorder the Switch and I've never played MK8. Or any MK apart from 64.

Do we know or estimate that there will be possible to play 4 player local with 4 JoyCons (single JoyCon per person)?

If this one and Smash don't work with single JoyCons, local multiplayer is dead for me.

The cheaper option would be to get 3 Pro Controllers, but that's $210.

Title reminds me of

250px-SMBDX_Boxart.PNG

which happened to be my introduction to the Mario franchise. If I ever get a Switch I'm definitely getting this.

I preorder the Switch and I've never played MK8. Or any MK apart from 64.

Do we know or estimate that there will be possible to play 4 player local with 4 JoyCons (single JoyCon per person)?

If this one and Smash don't work with single JoyCons, local multiplayer is dead for me.

The cheaper option would be to get 3 Pro Controllers, but that's $210.

MK8 can be played with one half of a joycon. If you have two sets of joycons (the set that comes with the system and one additional $80 set) then you have enough for 4 players.

Coffinhal

Shoulda had 2 new cups! A Splatoon track or 2, for sure, a Breathe of the Wild track, and then whatever. Then another remade classics cup!

Oh well, I will buy it and any DLC they put out for it anyway, I love MK, and MK8 is one of the best ones.

I really hope there won't be any DLC, it's a "definitive" edition.

I believe they didn't add new race tracks because they are focusing on MK9 with, hopefully, real gameplay changes - because the game is already beautiful and age very well on the graphics side.

I'd love to see a new big feature and the comeback of two drivers on the kart, but fresh ideas are welcome to.

Hey GAF, I swear last night I saw a screenshot showing the new Mario Kart lobby, which looked like this:

IqYroAU.png

But it had more Miis, and text in english saying something like "searching for more players." Looked like direct feed. Now I can't find it anywhere. Am I crazy or did anyone else see this?

EDIT: Oh, it was this:

KV5n0zH.png

Berordn

Is this known? There's new artwork floating around that seemingly confirms 5 types of Battle Mode.

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg

Well that sounds promising.

I'm guessing Shine Thief, Coin Runners, Traditional Balloon Battle, Bob-omb Blast and something new featuring the Piranha Plant item.

This is a no-brainer for those who never played 8, but honestly how many people getting a Switch early on has never played 8 at all? I don't think I can justify a double dip considering how much I played the Wii U version.
The Wii U did not sell well. A lot of people probably haven't played this game.

Fat Goron

Is this known? There's new artwork floating around that seemingly confirms 5 types of Battle Mode.

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg

Holy shit, please let that be Shine Thief. *o*

I was happy enough with Bob-Omb Blast, but Shine Thief was AMAZING.
I just worry about balancing with 12 players... maybe this mode should still be 4 players only.

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg

Give us an option with no time limit, and now we are cooking.

So glad bob-omb blast is back.

Probably expecting too much but I hope there are three variations. Time mode, 'first to x points' mode, and last player standing. The first two are pretty similar, but I'd really like to see a last player standing type of mode back.

Spy

Probably expecting too much but I hope there are three variations. Time mode, 'first to x points' mode, and last player standing. The first two are pretty similar, but I'd really like to see a last player standing type of mode back.
For sure, time limit in Battle Mode is the worst thing about Mario Kart. I will be extremely disappointed if there's no way to turn it off.

KooopaKid

Banned
Usually Nintendo don't put out lazy ports so I was surprised when they didn't announce new tracks. Hope the battle mode is really complete. That's the least they could do. They had plenty of time.

Berordn

Usually Nintendo don't put out lazy ports so I was surprised when they didn't announce new tracks. Hope the battle mode is really complete. That's the least they could do. They had plenty of time.

This is something of a first for them in a lot of ways since MK8 was already heavily expanded on in DLC, and are the kind of things that they'd normally add in a rerelease. That whole package is substantial and then adding more characters and a totally new battle mode really isn't a lazy port.

Just kinda sucks for anyone who never plays battle mode.

EulaCapra

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg
Oh what!? I can't bring myself to double-dip for full price but the true battle mode we should've had all along will have me envious watching it on Youtube.

And I don't know why it's taking me this long to realize that no kongs like Diddy/Dixie/Funky/etc. in MK8 Deluxe most likely means Diddy Kong Racing Switch.

The Boat

C2thSH5WgAAmskg.jpg

Yes! Fuck yes! Please tell me this is true.
They're obviously saving the new tracks for the next Mario Kart. That's of the point of Deluxe, an enhanced port to have a Mario Kart in the system pulling people in until the next one comes out.

This feels really weird to say, but if anything the Switch doesn't have enough "lazy ports". There are some high quality games on the Wii U that deserve better than being condemned to remain on that platform forever. This isn't an Xbox 360 -> Xbox One situation, where the original console was super popular and can still be bought in stores three years later.

Hell, if their pitch for the launch lineup of the Switch had been "the best Wii U games on the go!", I would have been all in.
Chicks dig guys playing Bayonetta in public, right?

This is something of a first for them in a lot of ways since MK8 was already heavily expanded on in DLC, and are the kind of things that they'd normally add in a rerelease. That whole package is substantial and then adding more characters and a totally new battle mode really isn't a lazy port.

Just kinda sucks for anyone who never plays battle mode.

It's a shame, but at least it cements MK8 as the gold standard Kart Racer currently and fixes its most glaring flaw.

MouldyK

But will all the screens be 60fps?

Yes because people have only played Local Multiplayer on MK8D with their own Switch and they have 60fps footage up.

My question still remains: Can 2 Nintendo Switches have 3 Player Races? E.G: 1 using their own Switch and 2 people using another Switch on TV Mode?

The Boat

This feels really weird to say, but if anything the Switch doesn't have enough "lazy ports". There are some high quality games on the Wii U that deserve better than being condemned to remain on that platform forever. This isn't an Xbox 360 -> Xbox One situation, where the original console was super popular and can still be bought in stores three years later.

Hell, if their pitch for the launch lineup of the Switch had been "the best Wii U games on the go!", I would have been all in.
Chicks dig guys playing Bayonetta in public, right?

I doubt we won't see more ports as time goes on.

sonto340

Yes because people have only played Local Multiplayer on MK8D with their own Switch and they have 60fps footage up.

My question still remains: Can 2 Nintendo Switches have 3 Player Races? E.G: 1 using their own Switch and 2 people using another Switch on TV Mode?
There's a promotional shot on amazon showing four people playing on two switches (two per console)
Granted is a promo image and not a confirmation of anything but I'd hope they would take that into consideration.

Roo

Last player standing would drag for way too long with the last 3-2 players so in that sense I understand why the time limit is there at least in online mode.

If we can turn it off in local/offline matches then yeah, it's good but otherwise keep the time limit.

Last player standing would drag for way too long with the last 3-2 players so in that sense I understand why the time limit is there at least in online mode.

If we can turn it off in local/offline matches then yeah, it's good but otherwise keep the time limit.

I mean that's why I asked for three variations! :) It's not hard to implement at all so I hope they give the option. I have always hoped Nintendo would look at SSB and see how customizable the matches are and implement that for MK, but they tend to fall short with some of these game modes that really should be a flip of the switch.

I was disappointed to see a time limit when they showed off the battle mode, but I'm sure it was just because of the event. I wish someone asked the reps if they knew about whether there would be a time limit or not in the final version.

rochers

Neo Member
Has anyone confirmed if there's anyway to disable the time limit on balloon battle?

Myself and my brothers spent hours yesterday playing 4 player battle mode on block fort on Mario Kart 64 yesterday, I still think this is the best battle mode.

I wish battle mode in MK8 had the following options.
  • Scalable levels for 4, 8 or 12 players (or just block fort for 4 player!)
  • Disable time limit
  • Number of balloons per player (1-5)
  • Enable bomb mode after losing all your balloons

Top Bottom