• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ManEater.... Yo, it's pretty freakin good!

I started playing this recently. I think I got it free on PS+ and I considered it just one of those worthless throwaway indie games.

Wow! Was I ever wrong?...

The game slaps hard. It's batshit insane. It has a really cool-ass story, very well told in the form of a fishing documentary. Besides the titular character (i.e. the shark), the main antagonist, Scaly Pete, is this roided up, Cajun meathead fisherman with a penchant for shark hunting. His dialogue scenes are excellent, hilarious and a joy to watch while breaking up the frantic gameplay.

The game starts off a little slow as a baby shark, but once you get deep into the different upgrades the game really comes into its own. There's nothing more satisfying than chomping hard on lvl 8 gators as a fully grown adult bull shark, after those bastards fucking terrorized you when you were a pup.

This game is so much fun. If like me you got in on PS+ and you ignored it, definitely give it a try.

What a joyous romp! I was very pleasantly surprised.

Kids and I had a fun couple of sessions with it just rampaging around, thanks Gamepass. We didn't even make it to the deep and start upgrading etc, might have to revisit it and see what else is on offer.

Vegan Rabbit GIF by PETA Deutschland e.V.

Given that it's the shark terrorizing humans, PETA would love this.

Yes, you can eat all the other aquatic life, but that's what real-life sharks do anyway.

Last edited:
I'll be lazy and ask here , is it on Pc? I'll awnser myself , yes it is on Steam.
I'll give it a go for sure , i always tought it looked fun

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's essentially a higher quality version of those flash games where your a fish and have to eat smaller fish while avoiding bigger fish until your big enough to eat those.

It was one of the first PS5 games I platinumed as it came with a launch PS5 edition and I thought yeah why not?

I think it suffers from pacing issues in the game loop, I suspect the early stages in the swamp might turn alot of people off, but once you get past that and have a few evolutions under your belt the fun dousent really stop until you are eating sperm whales and annilating flotilla of shark hunters with nothing left to challange you.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'll be lazy and ask here , is it on Pc? I'll awnser myself , yes it is on Steam.
I'll give it a go for sure , i always tought it looked fun
Yeah its on PC, Steam, Epic, and even Gamepass.
You can also pick it up for around $4 on certain key sites.

I actually wasnt impressed with the game after a couple of hours, and that annoyed me as i wanted to love it.
I will def give the game another shot though.

This is one of the worst games I've ever played, with the most repetitive control scheme ever conceived. Play it only if you desire carpal tunnel syndrome and also love Cheis Parnell voice overs. Otherwise, head elsewhere.

Labadal

I got the platinum trophy in 13 hours. It's a solid 6,5/10.

Not amazing, not crap. It's collectibles: the game, basically. Still, it was different playing as a shark.

Omali

Maneater for me is kind of a perfect Game Pass game. Just a couple hours too long and it felt like a modern retread of old titles like Feeding Frenzy. I did enjoy the Shark Week parody and the game got ridiculously easy once you farmed for a short bit to get upgrades and level up. I think I'd be much less enthused had I paid the $20+ it cost on its own at the time, but for a couple of days of fun as part of my subscription it was a fun distraction.

Rockondevil

I really enjoyed it and had a blast the entire time.
Upgrading the shark and having different abilities made it that much better.

Definitely went in with no expectations and honestly it looked a little underwhelming.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Got it on release day, got bored after an hour. It's a hard 6. Glad others got more out of it.

CJ_75

Dear OP, since you like this game so much, go to a gamestore and buy the game and show your support to the developer.

ShakenG

Trying to complete it was a slog with the memory leak. Game started chugging destroying stuff so ya had to exit to the menu and reload.

Played it when it first came out, but didn't finish it. Graphics are awesome and gameplay is pretty fun, but I was really put off by the amount of intrusive HUD information that overloads the screen with no option to turn it off.

MaulerX

Yep. Got it on Game Pass and was surprised at how good it was.

Love how you start as a baby shark and eat your way up to manhood.

Top Bottom