• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man, de Blob's soundtrack was tight, wasn't it? (Post your favorites too!)

Now, I like good music in games, who doesn't, right? Good music, original or licensed, can really elevate a game's impact in whoever is playing, and leave a truly lasting impression. Sometimes even longer lasting than other aspects of the game. That said everybody's got their own favorites and this soundtrack is one of mine. The rare occurrence where I'll actually listen to it even if I haven't played the game in more than a decade because its music stayed with me, even if the actual genres aren't really my usual jams.

The soundtrack was composed by John Guscott, Blue Tongue Entertainment's composer and sound designer. I'll let this review I found elaborate a bit:

Guscott’s score for de Blob contains a wide variety of musical styles ranging from jazz and funk through to reggae. The game’s score benefits from a commitment early on in the game’s development to use live musicians for the music and members of the Australian jazz band The Bamboos play enthusiastically that adds life and energy to the gameplay. The score is based around a core group of instruments – drums, percussion, bass, electric guitar and keyboards (Hammond organ and electric piano) – with added “feature” instruments being added as and when they are required (e.g., flutes, clarinet, cuica). A 3-piece horn section is also extensively used. In all, over 20 musicians contributed to creating the various moods required for the various stages/levels in the game.

As you might remember (or not!), the game was a platformer with light puzzle elements that incorporated the musical score to its gameplay. You started with a drab, grey level and a basic melody of the mood of your choosing, and as you added colors and progressed, more and more musical elements were being added until you had the full instrumental ensemble going on with some real bangers. These are a couple of my favorites:

Anyway I just wanted to show some love for this soundtrack. It makes me go

Cat Party GIF

Feel free to share your own favorites, I could use some more game soundtracks for my spotify rotation.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Love me some epic tunes. Videogames have some of the best OST's:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided:

Returnal:

Battlefield 1:

Witcher 3:

TBC

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
Now, I like good music in games, who doesn't, right? Good music, original or licensed, can really elevate a game's impact in whoever is playing, and leave a truly lasting impression. Sometimes even longer lasting than other aspects of the game. That said everybody's got their own favorites and this soundtrack is one of mine. The rare occurrence where I'll actually listen to it even if I haven't played the game in more than a decade because its music stayed with me, even if the actual genres aren't really my usual jams.

The soundtrack was composed by John Guscott, Blue Tongue Entertainment's composer and sound designer. I'll let this review I found elaborate a bit:

Guscott’s score for de Blob contains a wide variety of musical styles ranging from jazz and funk through to reggae. The game’s score benefits from a commitment early on in the game’s development to use live musicians for the music and members of the Australian jazz band The Bamboos play enthusiastically that adds life and energy to the gameplay. The score is based around a core group of instruments – drums, percussion, bass, electric guitar and keyboards (Hammond organ and electric piano) – with added “feature” instruments being added as and when they are required (e.g., flutes, clarinet, cuica). A 3-piece horn section is also extensively used. In all, over 20 musicians contributed to creating the various moods required for the various stages/levels in the game.

As you might remember (or not!), the game was a platformer with light puzzle elements that incorporated the musical score to its gameplay. You started with a drab, grey level and a basic melody of the mood of your choosing, and as you added colors and progressed, more and more musical elements were being added until you had the full instrumental ensemble going on with some real bangers. These are a couple of my favorites:

Anyway I just wanted to show some love for this soundtrack. It makes me go

Cat Party GIF

Feel free to share your own favorites, I could use some more game soundtracks for my spotify rotation.

I have euphoric in my youtube videogame playlist

jigglet

Banned
Can't remember, deBlob might be the fastest game I ever sold.

I went to jump and noticed it was mapped to waggle. Jump. The most important button in a platformer.

I noped the fuck out and never gave it a second chance.

(just listed to some tracks though and you're right it's bloody good)

Last edited:
Top Bottom