• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malwarebytes, Avast, Norton etc in 2020?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hey guys. I've been using just windows defender on my pc since last year. Not a whole lot of problems. To be on the safe side though I wanted to check in with you guys to see if you thought premium anti-virus was worth it? I did download the trial version of malwarebytes and it found a few suspect things and got rid of them.

Quasicat

I exclusively use and keep Windows Defender up to date and have never had an issue. A few weeks ago, I got a Trojan from a work email and it flagged it immediately. I downloaded the free Malwarebytes app just to check and there was no sign of it. Defender took care of it automatically as soon as it appeared. I get Norton, for free, from my isp, but I haven’t renewed that in years due to how awesome Defender is on my system.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I got malwarebytes premium like 10 years ago so I never have to pay for the sub, use that and windows defender plus VPN...hopefully nobody’s watching me masturbate but their loss if they are

mcz117chief

My Windows defender bugged out to absolute hell a few months back so I bought Bitdefender. It is really really good and I am happy I made the switch.

Riven326

Banned
The best virus and/or malware protection is good browsing habits and cpmmon sense. I found that when I ditched Norton and Malwarebytes years ago, the PC didn't explode and I never got a virus or any malware.

So I say just continue to use what is built into Windows. Unless you're an idiot that just clicks on random links in your spam mail.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
You don't really need anything more than Windows Defender + Ad block+ common sense internet browsing nowadays. Maybe Malwarebyte free version if you want to be extra safe.

Kadayi

Banned
The best virus and/or malware protection is good browsing habits and common sense. I found that when I ditched Norton and Malwarebytes years ago, the PC didn't explode and I never got a virus or any malware.

So I say just continue to use what is built into Windows. Unless you're an idiot that just clicks on random links in your spam mail.

But without those helpful browser popups how else would I know that there are hot and horny milfs just begging for me only a few miles away 🤔

None. Have a backup of what you need. I haven’t run active AV in 15 years. Not one virus. Doesn’t hurt to have Malwarebytes to scan with now and then. Firefox with ad blocking and other extensions. Just be smart on the internet and don’t click on stuff that you aren’t sure about.

TheContact

The built in AV for windows 10 is very good. Better than a lot of paid AVs. Compliment defender with ad blocking plugins ( whitelist the good sites like NeoGAF though =) )

Mistake

windows defender was a huge bitch, so I disabled it. Now I just use adblock, and malwarebytes for scans. As far as I know, malwarebytes doesn't have exclusions unless you pay, but it still does a good job. Is system restore the best workaround to full backups?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I practice safe browsing but I also have a seven year old whom I'm pretty sure has clicked on some links in roblox lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Windows Defender is all you need now. There are so many Win10 installs that MS’s definitions are updated constantly now.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Malwarebytes is still good to have as it does real-time protection for things that defender still doesn’t iirc. Free Malwarebytes is better than nothing, but doesn’t do real time scanning etc, which is the best protection.

I wouldn’t bother with third party anti virus software though.

Last edited:
I'm primarily a Linux user, but on my Windows machine, I just use Defender and do an occasional scan or after a download with Malwarebytes.

LordCBH

Norton’s is absolute dog shit that fails at detecting a lot of things. If you absolutely want a premium service, MBAM has never given me any problems, but you can also just run that one free on demand instead of having active protection.

Top Bottom