• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making games more challenging for yourself by nerfing your abilities

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Bunch of weirdos

Bartski

Gold Member
I sure do, in a number of weird ways.

In soulslikes I'm all about fashion.

I don't care how much protection a helmet has as long as it doesn't look cool with my pants. It's the 100% opposite of how many people play those games "optimizing" the loadout for damage and different resistances, resulting in a character that looks like he just escaped from a circus. No, my hero needs to look badass and beat those bosses in cool ways, if that means 50 retries due to getting one-shot I'm cool with that.
I'm always aware how much I'm nerfing myself and try to compensate elsewhere.

Buckler parry? No thanks, I'm not gonna run around with that weak-ass looking piece of bent tin. Dagger parry forever, even tho the parry window is 50% of the buckler and is just garbage in practice. But looks better.

I also have this thing of trying to role-play in games that don't expect the payer to role play, and play games that push realism in ways that push the realism even harder, that's a whole other can of worms.

Roni

Gold Member
Over the years, I also stopped using keyboard and mouse to play single player games on PC. The AI is always too easy if I can perfectly land every shot.

Top Bottom