• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Pack Rat is that the window to kill it is so short and there aren't a lot of cards that do it. In fact, the only common in RTR that kills a Pack Rat on turn 2 is Electrickery. There's Izzet Charm, Golgari Charm and Street Spasm at Uncommon, but that's it. There's actually a reasonable number of commons in ROE that kill Drana, and there's a much larger window to draw them. Flame Slash, Heat Ray, Oust, Deprive, etc

Firemind

rip europe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215659489]The problem with Pack Rat is that the window to kill it is so short and there aren't a lot of cards that do it. In fact, the only common in RTR that kills a Pack Rat on turn 2 is Electrickery. There's Izzet Charm, Golgari Charm and Street Spasm at Uncommon, but that's it. There's actually a reasonable number of commons in ROE that kill Drana, and there's a much larger window to draw them. Flame Slash, Heat Ray, Oust, Deprive, etc[/QUOTE]
LOL two of them are red cards, one a counterspell and the other an uncommon that doesn't deal with her permanently. I can't be arsed to check but it's probable blue and white have zero answers to her at common besides deprive. I know because I drafted narcolepsy and guard duty. black has vendetta which can't even target her. green is pretry much fucked.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215659489]The problem with Pack Rat is that the window to kill it is so short and there aren't a lot of cards that do it. In fact, the only common in RTR that kills a Pack Rat on turn 2 is Electrickery. There's Izzet Charm, Golgari Charm and Street Spasm at Uncommon, but that's it. There's actually a reasonable number of commons in ROE that kill Drana, and there's a much larger window to draw them. Flame Slash, Heat Ray, Oust, Deprive, etc[/QUOTE]
"You can just kill an Undertaker T1, it's fine!"

Santiako

Is there a schedule for the formats they will play at Worlds?

Copied from WotC:

Day One coverage starts Thursday at 9 a.m. PT/noon ET/4 p.m. UTC and features three rounds of Eldritch Moon-Shadows over Innistrad Booster Draft followed by four rounds of Standard. All matches this day are best two out of three games.

Day Two coverage starts on Friday at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET/9 p.m. UTC and features three rounds of Eldritch Moon-Shadows over Innistrad Booster Draft (although if you want to enjoy some Kaladesh goodness, I reeeeeeeeally recommend tuning in at 11 a.m. on twitch.tv/magic for the three hours prior to the start of Day Two). All matches this day are best two out of three games.

Day Three coverage starts on Saturday at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET/5 p.m. UTC and features four rounds of Modern. All matches this day are best two out of three games. At the conclusion of those four rounds, we will cut to our Top 4 players.

Day Four coverage begins on Sunday at 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET/6 p.m. UTC. The Top 4 single-elimination playoff matches are Standard, and feature best-three-out-of-five-game matches.

Is there a schedule for the formats they will play at Worlds?

From the general PAX schedule, abridged version:
All times shown are Pacific Time, and all events (except one) will take place on the main stage at the Paramount Theatre.

Thursday, Sept. 1

9 a.m.–7 p.m.—World Championship, Day One

The best players from around the world compete over four days to earn the title of World Champion—and their slice of a prize pool worth $250,000. The players battle with both Draft and Standard on Day One.

Friday, Sept. 2

10 a.m.—Doors open to PAX West

11 a.m.–noon—Opening Program

What is the Opening Program? It's the can't-miss debut of Kaladesh! Here we'll reveal the world, mechanics, art, flavor, story—a taste of both the wonderful setting of Kaladesh and of what we have in store for the weekend.

Noon–1 p.m.—World-Building panel

Learn more about the world of Kaladesh, its inhabitants, and what challenges lie ahead for our heroes. Jeremy Jarvis (head art honcho) will be joined by members of the creative team Doug Beyer, Kimberly Kreines, and Ari Levitch.

1 p.m.–2 p.m.—Kaladesh Mechanics panel

Want to learn a bit more about the new mechanics of Kaladesh? The set's designers and developers—including Mark Rosewater, Shawn Main, Ian Duke, Liz Leo, and Ben Hayes—will gather to enlighten you and share a few new cards.

2 p.m.–7 p.m.—World Championship, Day Two

The competition continues with Draft.

4 p.m.–5 p.m. Drive to Work Live (Twitch Room, exact location TBD)

Returning to PAX West for the second consecutive year, Mark Rosewater, head designer of Magic, is joined by special guests Ben Hayes, Sam Stoddard, and Gavin Verhey for a live episode of his popular podcast!

This panel will take place in the PAX Twitch panel room.

Saturday, Sept. 3

10 a.m.–4 p.m.—World Championship, Day Three

The players switch to Modern on the third day of the World Championship, eventually cutting to a Top 4 that will come back to play on Sunday.

4 p.m.–5 p.m.—What's the Story? (Creative Q&A panel)

Have questions for the art and creative team? They have answers. Members of our intrepid art and creative teams—featuring Jeremy Jarvis, Cynthia Sheppard, Tyler Jacobson, Doug Beyer, and James Wyatt—will answer your questions about Kaladesh.

Sunday, Sept. 4

10 a.m.–10:45 a.m.—Kaladesh with the Pros panel

Join a group of Magic's pros for a roundtable discussion on the new mechanics and preview cards from Kaladesh, as well as what it's like to compete in the World Championship. Be among the first to see two new cards revealed during the panel!

10:45 a.m.–11:15 a.m.—World Championship Top 4 Preview

Get ready for the Top 4 of the Magic World Championship as we talk to the players and look at the decks that they'll be battling with to take home the trophy.

11:15 a.m.–5:15 p.m. (approximate)—World Championship Top 4

The Top 4 of the World Championship starts at 11:15 a.m. and doesn't stop till we've crowned a new World Champion! The format will be Standard.

Wow, what a comeback. Nothing for turns on end, then suddenly everything.

EDIT: Then double Languish to counter that.
EDIT: Then Distended Mindbender.

I'm not sure if Takimura made that face in reaction to Rubin drawing Crush, but if it wasn't, that was nicely timed.

EDIT: Ulamog out of nowhere!

Like that crush could have been a summary dismissal right now and steve would have been dead.
Thinning the deck for him for a card that has medium amounts of blowout potential seems unnecessary

When did Gaby become a vampire?

Marcio Carvallo described perfectly why I dislike draft right now.

"You can just kill an Undertaker T1, it's fine!"

LOL two of them are red cards, one a counterspell and the other an uncommon that doesn't deal with her permanently. I can't be arsed to check but it's probable blue and white have zero answers to her at common besides deprive. I know because I drafted narcolepsy and guard duty. black has vendetta which can't even target her. green is pretry much fucked.

I never said it was fine, I'm just creating a hierarchy between two absurd bombs.

I like how Rich Hagon hypes up Caravallo vs Sigrist as the key match in the next round and coverage goes with BBD vs Reid Duke because they're both content faces.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215667616]I never said it was fine, I'm just creating a hierarchy between two absurd bombs.[/QUOTE]
I was trying to draw the analogy with Pack Rat (and how stupid it is.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've been having better luck with the Spirits deck than I had imagined (it was cheapo on MTGO)

Deck: UW Spirits
w.gif
u.gif

//Lands
7 Island
8 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream

//Spells
4 Always Watching
3 Essence Flux
2 Ojutai's Command

//Creatures
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
2 Nebelgast Herald
4 Rattlechains
3 Reflector Mage
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Thraben Inspector

//Sideboard
2 Bygone Bishop
1 Day's Undoing
3 Declaration in Stone
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Negate
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Summary Dismissal

Display deck statistics

Hero

Bant Company ending games quick.

EDIT: Reading through the posts for last year's PAX. It really is better that they're now waiting until the big streaming event to start revealing cards. Unveiling Ulamog before the stream was a real headscratcher. They also had Wil Wheaton present the BFZ preview show for some reason. Apparent start of PAX discussion, start of BFZ preview show discussion

I almost completely forgot about the shitshow lead by Wil Wheaton, thanks for reminding me of it, jerk!

Crocodile

I imagine this won't be very hard to turn on. Definitely could see play in multiple formats.

I'm assuming this doesn't say "Metalcraft" on it because not a lot of cards in the set say "if you have 3+ artifacts, do X" but..........seriously that card should just have Metalcraft on it.

This game is pretty intense. Oliver Tiu's Turbo Emrakul vs. Steve Rubin's Blue-Green Crush.

Inventors' Fair is interesting. It's always weird when they use an old ability word but don't use the ability word.

Interesting how Lumbering Falls' hexproof is playing such a major role in dealing with Elder Deep-Fiend.

EDIT: Well that was a mind bender of a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom