• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

The new WC trophy:

OP20160901_trophy.png

:| That is some ugly shit

ultron87

Pharika was fun in the Constellation decks that at least tried to be a thing Standard. Make Snakes + Draw Cards + -1/-1 creatures was a good time.

Santiako

Tamada absolutely wrecked Owen, goddamn.

EDIT: When you have to board in Runaway Carriage, you know your deck has gone wrong.

They're trying to spin it as best as possible, but that outcome is exactly what I expected from Owen's draft (and I'm sure it's exactly what he expected as well).

I feel like |OT9| deserves a more snazzy title for an event like Kaladesh. :p

The title will change on Monday.
1. I wanted to emphasize that the topic would focus on a livestream.
2. I feel we could come up with a better title once we know more about the mechanics and world. Like if E Mechanic turns out to be really boring, the title could reflect that.

I wasn't playing during Theros, did any of the Gods see standard play?

• Erebos - early mono-black devotion maindeck play(which maintained dominance throughout the format), sideboard against control decks and decks with lifegain(archangel of thune, etc)
  • Thassa - 4-of maindeck the entire season in mono blue devotion, one of the three best decks.
  • Purphoros - saw play in tier two tokens decks
  • Nylea - occassional green devotion play
  • Xenagos - saw some play in combo aggro decks
  • Pharika - engine/win con in GB constellation, sideboard tech in sidisi/whip of erebos decks, eventually the last remaining competitive God in Standard after rotation
  • Ephara - minor UW humans play when the format began
  • Phenax - FNM 0-2 bracket
  • Athreos - three pages of disappointed speculator's binders

Notable mention for Keranos as a Modern all-star in the sideboard of Twin decks and basically every god as fantastic EDH cards.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";215647672]
  • Erebos - early mono-black devotion maindeck play(which maintained dominance throughout the format), sideboard against control decks and decks with lifegain(archangel of thune, etc)
  • Thassa - 4-of maindeck the entire season in mono blue devotion, one of the three best decks.
  • Purphoros - saw play in tier two tokens decks
  • Nylea - occassional green devotion play
  • Xenagos - saw some play in combo aggro decks
  • Pharika - engine/win con in GB constellation, sideboard tech in sidisi/whip of erebos decks, eventually the last remaining competitive God in Standard after rotation
  • Ephara - minor UW humans play when the format began
  • Phenax - FNM 0-2 bracket
  • Athreos - three pages of disappointed speculator's binders

Notable mention for Keranos as a Modern all-star in the sideboard of Twin decks and basically every god as fantastic EDH cards.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed response, I love Gods for EDH but I didn't know of their Standard history. Seems like it would be safe to do a smaller cycle this time, like 1 for each color or 1 for each shard or whatever the five gods of nonEgypt are.

Also Drana is the dumbest bomb ever. I was playing U/W and I had literally no outs.

ROE is still the objective best draft environment ever but the Wikipedia entry for "draft bomb" should have a giant picture of Drana right at the top.

That surprising to me. Everyone I knew hated them because you'd open them in limited and they wouldn't do anything and get passed around.

3+ of them were strong Standard cards, 8+ of them were useful and interesting in EDH, one saw fringe play in Vintage, and all the monocolor ones are pretty easy to turn on in non-format casual decks. They definitely make sense as popular cards to me.

By the way, charlequin, should we try again at splitting off my posts in this thread to form the new thread? Or should I just make the thread myself like usual?

ROE is still the objective best draft environment ever but the Wikipedia entry for "draft bomb" should have a giant picture of Drana right at the top.

I don't disagree with you, but triple KTK definitely gives it a run for its money and I've slowly been moving my opinion over. We've had this conversation before I believe but if you include sealed then KTK is definitely the best limited format. ROE and INN are both high-synergy sets while KTK is more free form and the higher synergy your draft format the worse your sealed pools tend to be. One of the reasons I couldn't stand SOI sealed.

Thanks for the detailed response, I love Gods for EDH but I didn't know of their Standard history. Seems like it would be safe to do a smaller cycle this time, like 1 for each color or 1 for each shard or whatever the five gods of nonEgypt are.

Yeah, going from 3 to 2 sets per block makes 15 gods a stretch. With Nicol Bolas being in the set I also would not be surprised to see some level of a shard theme.

Crocodile

That's an odd way of spelling Jitte or Pack Rat :p
Drana is fucking stupid though
Funny Story: I remember when I was birding a draft at a store some of my friends and the locals were doing. I saw someone pass a P1P1 Drana. The next person did not keep this secret to themselves. The entire store had a good laugh.

Before you go all "don't laugh at newbies and be exclusive!" note that the guy who passed the Drana wasn't a new player or new to the store. He was just bad LOL

That's an odd way of spelling Jitte or Pack Rat :p

Jitte was just broken straight up so it's kind of not as significant that it's broken in draft. Pack Rat I would claim is less (not a TON less) of a bomb relative to its environment than Drana was, although I'm not sure how I'd establish that more concretely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom