• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Saheeli's profile.

On her home plane of Kaladesh, Saheeli is a famous inventor renowned as the most brilliant metalsmith of her time. She's best known for the bewitchingly lifelike artifact constructs she crafts out of gleaming iridescent metal. From the smallest insect to the largest elephant, Saheeli has an uncanny ability to replicate any creature she sees, capturing the essence of its life in her metal creation. Admirers, collectors, and investors flock to see her designs, spending hours gazing, enraptured by her artistry.

Her innate, effortless talent has made her the envy of many fellow inventors, especially lifecrafters who look to her both for inspiration and as a formidable rival. Saheeli doesn't shy away from competition; when it comes to defending her hard-earned reputation, she is fiercely cutthroat. But when not in contest, she's wholly supportive of the efforts of other inventors, happy to share advice, a kind word, or an encouraging smile. She thrills at the prospect of innovation, and basks in the creative spirit that surrounds her in Ghirapur. Her bright, optimistic personality draws others to her, and her genuine, thoughtful nature resonates with her fans, who hail from all corners of Kaladesh.

Saheeli's talents extend beyond what the people of Kaladesh realize or understand. She's a Planeswalker with a powerful magical command over metal. She can access seemingly endless threads of metal, which she can then weave into one of her creations. And once created, Saheeli's magic allows her to compel her metal constructs to do her bidding. Thanks to her abilities, she's never at a loss for an artifact companion.

Looks like she'll have abilities related to artifact creatures?

That leak said it was the fall set, had a different name for it, and said it didn't connect to the larger story, it was total bullshit.

Ah, I forgot about those other details about the blatantly fake leak. But maybe the plane being ruled by Nicol Bolas has nothing to do with anything, tho

Saheeli's profile.

Seems like it will be pretty likely that one of her abilities will be to make a temporary artifact clone with haste.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Apparently the tailor who made Chandra's shirt actually stitched out boob extensions for the shirt.

Forget Chandra's perfectly tailored boob overshirt: check out the left arm of the dude with the axe.
Forget that arm check out that gunt that could not just have been gunpowder powered.
Apparently the tailor who made Chandra's shirt actually stitched out boob extensions for the shirt.
Don't you mean the Smith that made her chainmail / scailmail
I actually searched Google for images of chain mail with holes for tits. Glad I don't have a wife to explain that to.

Edit: ah now I see what you mean, good eyes.

We also got a little bit of info in this interview about her appearing in Magic Puzzle Quest: http://geekandsundry.com/a-new-planeswalker-in-magic-the-gathering-puzzle-quest-exclusive-details/

Her abilities focus on creating Thopters, boosting Creature Constructs, and insuring you’re never low on Supports on the battlefield.

Which definitely supports the idea that she's artifact creature focused.

(Also, it's hilarious that she's a pop idol.)

Prediction: Desert land cycle finally incoming.

It would be a bit of a missed opportunity not to use the Desert type at all.

I still don't know if Chandra is supposed to be ginger or Indian.

Her parents are (phenotypically speaking) a white guy and a desi woman; a kid with that type of background having red hair in the real world would be very unusual but not completely unheard of, e.g.

3218545180_5487a6f6a7_b_zps7fd8a39e.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, why is Chandra wearing a shirt over her mail anyways

Daedardus

I also realised, could Amonkhet support fetchlands in the set? Not many rainforests around there, and neither are volcanoes near pools of water. I guess they could bend the world somewhat and we only have one piece of artwork, but it just doesn't feel right.

I'm holding to that Jaya Ballard mother theory.

God, I hate this theory. I know this isn't why people came up with it, but it just comes off as "Chandra's whole backstory is about her parents, but they're these stupid Kaladeshi people. Better have a WHITE ASS PERSON be her REAL parent."

(Also the timeline doesn't support this at all.)

I also realised, could Amonkhet support fetchlands in the set?

Misty Rainforest would be a stretch, yeah.

Angry Grimace

God, I hate this theory. I know this isn't why people came up with it, but it just comes off as "Chandra's whole backstory is about her parents, but they're these stupid Kaladeshi people. Better have a WHITE ASS PERSON be her REAL parent."

(Also the timeline doesn't support this at all.)

Misty Rainforest would be a stretch, yeah.

Nah, you could justify it as some kind of oasis.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh come on guys, you are literally doing so well at everything else right now, do not sign off on an art concept that features a shirt that has literally been stitched to give boob socks

Angry Grimace

Saheeli's profile.

I'm guessing she makes thopters and animates other artifacts, e.g.

Saheeli Rai 3RU

+1: Create a 1/1 Thopter token with flying.
-2: Target artifact becomes a 5/5 artifact creature
-7: You get an emblem with "Artifacts you control have 'T: This artifact deals 3 damage to target creature or player.'"
4 Loyalty

An-Det

Announcement day!

• "Rise Among the Worthy" on the plane of Amonkhet. Discover a world ruled by Nicol Bolas when the first set of the Amonkhet block releases April 28, 2017.
  • Nicol Bolas is among the most powerful beings in the Multiverse—don't face him alone! Much like the original Archenemy release, Archenemy: Nicol Bolas pits you and two friends against a single powerful foe where you must work together to survive—or fall to Nicol Bolas himself.
  • The second set in the Amonkhet block, Hour of Devastation, releases July 14, 2017.
  • In the same spirit as Duel Decks: Anthology and Planechase Anthology, Commander Anthology gathers four previous Commander products together in one convenient package, releasing June 9, 2017.
  • Draft like a master once more as we release Modern Masters 2017 Edition March 17, 2017—featuring cards from Eighth Edition through Magic 2014, including new trips through Innistrad and Return to Ravnica.
  • Brains or brawn? Cunning or strength? Test your guile and brute force with Duel Decks: Mind vs. Might, releasing in May of 2017.
  • Updates to Magic: The Gathering: Puzzle Quest are here, with Kaladesh content!

Finally a legit Egyptian set, really curious to get a full look at it.

For the Modern Masters 2017 info, does the cutoff of M14 preclude anything from the set that really needs it? That was 3 years ago, can't think of anything major. Releasing in May is more interesting to me, rather than the previous July releases.

Nah, you could justify it as some kind of oasis.

Didn't say you couldn't do it, just that it'd be a stretch!

I'm guessing she makes thopters and animates other artifacts, e.g.

I think this is probably in the neighborhood. Given that she's blue/red and her thing is creating replicas, she might actually have a clone ability right on the PW card too.

Releasing in May is more interesting to me, rather than the previous July releases.

March puts it mid-block, lets them space it a bit better between Standard sets and avoids trampling on an initial block launch (like, um, CN2 is doing right now.) I think it's better.

Okay the Amonkhet symbol it a liiiiiitle on the nose

Magic doesn't have so much set symbol design space that it can afford to avoid ones that are on the nose. :p

I like that the A in Amonkhet is also the pyramid.

w92Xw7r.jpg

Shieeeeet they planted the seed ages ago!

.....holy shit

What's the thing with Vengeful Pharaoh?

The gem between the horns

Why does his head look like a goblin who just had a giant shovel hit him across it or a fish somehow connected to a dragon's body? The art is so gorgeous otherwise and why the gem an uncommon artifact you'd think something bolas keeps suspended between his horns would be more than decor, OTOH it kinda would fit.

Jhriad

It's interesting that they didn't get any creative consultants for the set, unlike Kaladesh. Perhaps it's considered fine because they already have in-house experts on Egyptian mythology (like with Theros) and because it's a dead religion.

Concerning the racial makeup, outside of the misstep of how Kaladesh was presented in Magic Origins (which really was just due to Chandra's origin story being our first view of it), they've been good about keeping race in mind. They must be well aware of the outcry against all the white people in Gods of Egypt and such, and on Tarkir, the "white people" were still clearly not Englishmen or anything. I'm sure there will be some white people, like on Kaladesh, but the median skin tone will be on the darker side.
Egyptian set is hype but has me nervous from a racial standpoint. Recent media has whitewashed Egyptian to be "exotic white". I'd love to see how deep they reach into Egyptian lore, history and culture.

Egyptian polities interacted with, and at various points assimilated, other regions and cultures that would lend a breadth of racial diversity to the plane. Egypt was constantly in conflict with the Libyan people of the Sahara to the west, the Nubians to the South, and the varied people of the Levant to the North. That's not including interactions with the people of Anatolia, Greece, and even further so there's no reason a plane based on Egypt has to be lacking in racial diversity.

I also realised, could Amonkhet support fetchlands in the set? Not many rainforests around there, and neither are volcanoes near pools of water. I guess they could bend the world somewhat and we only have one piece of artwork, but it just doesn't feel right.

Given the small description on the set page it's hard to say. The southern portions of the Nile go through regions that would allow for both rainforest as well as volcanoes. Perhaps this set will draw from Lower & Upper Egypt as well as Nubia and Ethiopia. That'd give them enough latitude for it. Or maybe this "Oasis" is rather large and has a forested section and the Hour of Devastation (the second set) includes a volcanic eruption.

Gotta get Gideon's attention somehow.

Hero

Look at a picture of Nicol Bolas.

Look at Vengeful Pharoah.

Repeat as necessary while playing Foreigner's Double Vision.

The gem between the horns

Why does his head look like a goblin who just had a giant shovel hit him across it or a fish somehow connected to a dragon's body? The art is so gorgeous otherwise and why the gem an uncommon artifact you'd think something bolas keeps suspended between his horns would be more than decor, OTOH it kinda would fit.

Gotcha guys.

Also, do we see the return of Gods in Egypt block or do you think they save tat for return to Theros?

Jhriad

Nicol Bolas has ginned up a religion that at it's core is attempting to ignite the latent spark in potential planeswalkers through various trials so they can join him or have their spark consumed by him and added to his own power. Thus is born the Injustice League or whatever.

Can we just have the Phyrexians already?

Oh yeah and the Anubis (jackal) race are totally gonna be hounds again.
Nicol Bolas has ginned up a religion that at it's core is attempting to ignite the latent spark in potential planeswalkers through various trials so they can join him or have their spark consumed by him and added to his own power. Thus is born the Injustice League or whatever.

Campy enough, the Injustibalt League.

Reddit > GAF > Reddit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom