• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Arena |OT| Adventures in the Forgotten Realms - Rollin' Crits

Oh ok cool, fair enough. I'm not sure they usually let us know about a set so far in advance but I guess this is a special thing. I don't know anything about DND. I agree that the flavour of strix doesn't look too appealing but hopefully the mechanics will be good.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Forgotten Realms is probably the best known 'flagship' setting for Dungeons and Dragons.

Rccad24d28b57df90211587b10d29fe94

latest

OIP.Oiq5BNErOpZC5Pbr3Ag6BAHaEK

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Wizards has decided to end the Early Access program.

The Early Access program was part of the MTG Arena Creator Program, where it gave selected streamers and content creators fully stocked Arena accounts to show off the new set a day before the official launch of the set. The creators could build new decks to build hype for the set and be the first players to draft and played Sealed with the new cards.

Questions about whether the Strixhaven: School of Mages Early Access event was happening popped up on Twitter Monday as content creators had yet to receive any of the information they usually received confirming the event and their inclusion in it. As more and more streamers brought more attention to the situation, WotC finally sent an email to some content creators around 11:30pm ET stating that not only was the event not happening for this set, but the entire program was discontinued.

To compensate for the removal of the program, WotC will provide the creators 40 redeemable codes for Strixhaven booster packs on Arena. This information came two days before what would have been the date for the Early Access event, leaving many angered about the lack of communication as they planned their content around the event.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Can you explain what the issue is?
The rumors I have seen is that Wizards is taking the money and manpower from early access and directing it towards more mainstream streamers and creators in order to attract a new audience.

The problem is they left the community out to dry in the process just days before the event began.

A.Romero

The rumors I have seen is that Wizards is taking the money and manpower from early access and directing it towards more mainstream streamers and creators in order to attract a new audience.

The problem is they left the community out to dry in the process just days before the event began.

I see. It's a shitty thing to do. They could have at least split the support between current creators and the mainstream ones...

Nobody_Important

I see. It's a shitty thing to do. They could have at least split the support between current creators and the mainstream ones...
A creator I follow called CGB did a video covering it and he is fairly connected to the MTG community. He has been apart of tournaments since he was a teenager.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone got any interesting Strixhaven decks / strategies they wanna share?

Shai-Tan

Banned

I received an email about Mr. Beast hosting some event. makes sense now that they have an iOS client

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
3 Free Packs code:

PlayDND

jshackles

Great, thanks! I tried to Google them earlier today but couldn't find it.
I'll admit that I tried about 15 different variations of "Play...." before I found this one.

Pilgrimzero

Enjoying the new set on Arean but I wonder why in the D&D FR set they did use more iconic characters. Like Elminster. I see a lot of names I don't recognize aside from Drizzt and crew. And zero drow cards (aside from Lolth)? Wild.

A.Romero

Enjoying the new set on Arean but I wonder why in the D&D FR set they did use more iconic characters. Like Elminster. I see a lot of names I don't recognize aside from Drizzt and crew. And zero drow cards (aside from Lolth)? Wild.
Maybe they are saving some other characters for future releases?

A.Romero

I just got my first Tiamat. Thinking of building a deck around it.

I'm planning to go into premiere draft this weekend as well.

FatboyTim

100-card Historic Brawl queue coming...
MTG ARENA: STATE OF THE GAME—JUMPSTART: HISTORIC HORIZONS

Now, on to what you've been waiting for: with this release, we are adding a 100-card Historic Brawl queue. That's it. That's the update.

Well, ok, maybe a little bit more. We've been pleased with the performance we've seen from our recent Historic Brawl events, and it's clear that there is a small but dedicated audience that's interested to keep playing in this format. We also saw a good response to our recent experiment with 100-card Historic Brawl events, and Historic Brawl will now default to being 100-card whenever it is offered.

Like we do with Standard Brawl, we will be using a matchmaking system that takes into account the power level of your commander to help ensure that matches are fairer and more fun for both players. Speaking of fair, some perpetual effects (especially toughness reduction) can basically shut down an opponent's commander. Locking out a commander is why Meddling Mage and Sorcerous Spyglass are banned in Brawl, so we'll be taking a similar approach with some perpetual cards. We're starting with banning both Davriel's Withering and Davriel, Soul Broker in Historic Brawl, and we'll be keeping an eye on the rest of the effects in Historic Brawl.

This queue will be up at least until rotation this September while we monitor how interest and play volume hold up for the format. Our goal is to leave it up if it can remain healthy and provide enough population for rapid, fair pairing. If you want permanent Historic Brawl, play it!

We will continue to offer the Standard Brawl queue as normal, and it will stay a 60-card format as it is now. Also, if you've been worried about Command Tower and Arcane Signet rotating out from Standard Brawl in September, fear not—we'll make sure those staple cards stay legal in Standard Brawl on MTG Arena.
Use it, or lose it!

Cyberpunkd

Can someone tell me how the hell do I make my head around coming back to this game? Just installed this after a year and there has been so many changes.

1. Are the Warhammer crossover cards there?
2. Can I play Commander?
3. Are the Warhammer and upcoming LotR cards considered it's own thing or they can be mixed and matched with other regular cards as well?
4. What's the best way to spend money?

Catherine

Neo Member
Can someone tell me how the hell do I make my head around coming back to this game? Just installed this after a year and there has been so many changes.

1. Are the Warhammer crossover cards there?
No, they aren't.
2. Can I play Commander?
There's no modes with more than two players on Arena. You can play 1v1 Historic Brawl, which is a 100-card singleton format with commanders, but the card pool is limited a lot compared to regular paper Commander.
3. Are the Warhammer and upcoming LotR cards considered it's own thing or they can be mixed and matched with other regular cards as well?
LOTR cards will slot right into any regular deck with other Magic cards

Catherine

Neo Member
Quoting you because you know stuff - what’s the best thing to do to come back? Any mode, etc.? I see they added some starter decks. Any bundle that’s worth it?
I am sorry, this exceeds my knowledge. I haven't played Arena in a year but I've been watching it on Twitch sometimes. Other than that, I just play paper Magic.

The available modes are limited (draft), standard (cards from the last 2-3 years of sets), historic (all cards on Arena legal minus a ban list) and historic brawl.

If you have a collection of cards already, formats with a larger cardpool where you actually get to play with the old cards. Historic is a constructed format, meaning 60 card decks, no more than four of every card. The large cardpool makes decks very powerful. As a result, a few clearly best deck archetypes float to the top. If you sjow up with your own homebrew deck, you are going to be less succesful in matches. Most people "netdeck", i.e. download a decklist from a tournament result page like MTGGoldfish and craft the cards manually. This requires buying a lot of booster packs in the store to get the necessary wildcards, or grinding and buying them with gold if you're a free to play player.

In Standard, the problem is lessened because of the limitation to the last two to three years of sets. You might have more of a chance with a homebrew build, an overall greater freedom to play anything that's interesting or you might have opened from a booster. Still, the format is competitive 1v1 so playing a non-metagame deck will hurt your winrate.

In Historic Brawl, you pick a commander and build a hundred-card deck in that commander's colors, and it is singleton, i.e. only one copy of every card allowed. This greatly increases gameplay variance and as a result, poweful strategies are much less dominant. This is the format with the largest amount of deckbuilding freedom, allowing you to build basically whichever deck you want and have success with it. There's no need to netdeck, just to have a general idea about deckbuilding.

Draft is without bringing your own deck. Every player picks cards from a pool of boosters in order, and builds a deck out of the picked cards. The draft is skill-intensive, you need to be informed about which cards are in the set, make good card evalutions on the fly. Once you master it though, it's the format with the fewest imbalances. But, it does cost for every entry, and you get to keep the cards to use for other formats.

Catherine

Neo Member
Quoting you because you know stuff - what’s the best thing to do to come back? Any mode, etc.? I see they added some starter decks. Any bundle that’s worth it?
I forgot one format, Explorer. It's kind of like Historic allowing a large card pool to choose from, but restricted to only sets that were previously Standard-legal. This means it excludes all the specialty sets like the upcoming LOTR. A lot of people prefer it to Historic though.

Top Bottom