• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia Definitive Edition has reminded me how great and simple the 6th gen was

hello505

I'm likeable
Oh how I miss the PS2 era when worldbuilding was at its finest, sure it was simple trekking most of the time corridor to corridor alleyway to alleyway but developers poured their heart into creating a unique, organic and engrossing atmosphere for their games instead of stuffing it with useless bloat like open world padding and crafting grinding RPG equivalences to watching paint dry. When games had an almost common standard to quality storytelling, seriously the storytelling of games during 6th gen thru cutscenes and general worldbuilding was off the fucking chain, rivaling movies at the time.

Mafia 1 (which contains all of this in spades) has reminded me of what a amazing time for gaming it was, thank you Hangar 13 for a great remake. it's a beautiful game too, lighting is magnificent.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What?
It's a shit remake that ruined Mafia 1.
Tommy is not a gruff gangster from the start. He was supposed to be a nice normal guy... not a fucking asshole gangster. That's what the whole game is about!!!
Music is terrible
Shooting is terrible
Paulie looks like a pig.

Graphics are only OK... I guess and the pacing is improved

sure it was simple trekking most of the time corridor to corridor alleyway to alleyway but developers poured their heart into creating a unique, organic and engrossing atmosphere for their games

So i take it you only played DC, GC<,and PS2 that gene and didn't really touch a PC or Xbox where you could find both corridors and open gameplay? Even some PS2 stuff had both though not as much. No bloat either.

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
OG>Remake
They ruined the music, the shooting was awful and they removed the trains, you can't get on trains anymore.
I only liked the graphics and that was it.
It was a 6/10 remake.

They butchered the game, literally.

Last edited:

Denton

The remake is both lovely and terrible at the same time.

I love the new graphics and atmosphere. I like some of the narrative changes (bit more Sara scenes).

I like the driving physics and more modern shooting.

I hate the butchered ending. I hate how they cut down most of the driving and shortened the missions and ruined the pace.

I dislike the new soundtrack (original one should have been kept, much better) and much more arcadey design.

Basically, it is still good fun game, but the original will always be the masterpiece.

kiphalfton

Shame about the gunplay and animations, otherwise it's a good remake.

Nah. Both of those things are completely fine (outside a couple glitchy animations in cutscenes).

Now the lighting and crappy reflections on consoles, that is a different matter. During the day everything looks way too bright.

Apocryphon

I have mixed feelings about this game. It looks great, and I wish we had more big budget games set in this time period, but it felt like a misstep. They got the characterization of Tommy wrong and that was what made the original so compelling. I'm still glad it exists though.

Top Bottom