• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition delayed to September 25 | Gameplay reveal set for July 22

Mista

Banned

Publisher 2K Games and developer Hangar 31 have delayed Mafia: Definitive Edition from its previously announced August 28 release date to September 25, as well as announced a gameplay reveal date of July 22.

Here is a message from 2K Games and Hangar 13 on the delay:
Mafia: Definitive Edition will now release worldwide on September 25. Though we’d originally planned to release the game one month earlier on August 28, finalizing everything in time for that launch date has become increasingly challenging due to the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic, and the last thing we want to do is compromise the quality of the experience.

From the beginning, this has been a passion project for us. Many of our developers helped create the original Mafia, and all of us are committed to crafting an updated experience worthy of that timeless classic. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we make Mafia: Definitive Edition the very best it can be for all of our fans worldwide.

All that said, we know you’re anxious to see more. That’s why we’re thrilled to give you an extended look at Mafia: Definitive Edition’s gameplay in just two weeks on July 22. Be sure to follow @MafiaGame on Twitter to see a brand new 15-second teaser now, and visit MafiaGame.com for more information about the entire Mafia: Trilogy.

We want to express our heartfelt thanks to you for watching our narrative trailer, playing the Definitive Editions of Mafia II and III, and supporting us as we continue building the definitive organized crime saga. We look forward to showing you more on July 22.
Gematsu

Cravis

If they get even close to this in the final product then it is going to look amazing.

n4nqBmV.jpg

7kvoneL.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If they get even close to this in the final product then it is going to look amazing.

n4nqBmV.jpg

7kvoneL.jpg
I don't know, that second picture is basically R* level lighting and I highly doubt, that they are going to bother. As much as I would want them to.

Damn...My bday is on September 8th and I was hoping to be playing this and Tony Hawk since I had to cancel my trip after covid hit smh..guess ill be skating and catching up on my Switch backlog lol

JCK75

I loved the fuck out of this game, one thing specific about it is my setup was so perfect, I had my driving wheel set for in car and grabbed mouse and keyboard for on foot.. the reason this felt so epic is I would drive one handed with the wheel and have the other hand on the mouse so I could flawlessly aim and shoot while driving.. it just felt so great.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Delay is fine by me as it was the same day as Wasteland 3. Now, I can play Wasteland 3 first and by the time I complete it, Mafia will be released. Works out perfectly for me. :)

Ozzie666

They better not mess up that amazing ending. It was perfect the way it was. Also the song that played during the credits, still stuck in my head.

*dons tinfoil hat*

XSX was rumoured to have originally launched in August
XSX was rumoured to he be pushed back to September launch
22nd July gameplay reveal, day before XSX showcase

does that mean Half-life 3 confirmed?

Nico_D

That looks amazing. I hope they keep the gameplay changes at minimum considering how bad Mafia 2 (and evidently 3 as well, haven't played it) turned out in comparison.

xrnzaaas

Looks great, but this is Hangar 13 so it's definitely not going to be a blind purchase. Hopefully the state of the game on day1 won't be horrible.

Thief1987

Don't know something off. Absolutely don't like new cast, Tommy looks and sounds like typical macho-gangster and he wasn't like this. And now it's just typical cover shooter, eh. I so much want this game to be great, but this video is uninspiring.

J3nga

Visuals and cutscenes look fine, but the gameplay looks cheap to me, so many assets came out of Mafia 3, sounds, rough animations and braindead AI.

Last edited:
As the guy who still has M1 as his favorite game ever I'm beyond excited. This will replace the original for my yearly playthroughs going forward :)

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG
People complaining about the gun play confuse me.

I dislike the whack a mole/shooting gallery and it basically forced me to skip through the video hoping to they'd show the open world stuff more and disappointingly it didn't have any.

But....i can't recall Mafia 1 having any sort of amazing gun play either?

I loved the game when it was out, but I believed I was enthralled in the story and the mechanics of the world than the gun play.

So, this current direction is a step up in terms of gun play?

I'm more interested to see how the original mechanics when driving or dealing with cops in the original turned out in the new version.

Cause if I can't use the goddamned signal in my car when I make a turn, I ain't buying it :|

I miss the blood/gore. Yes, there is some splatter when hitting a body, but I really hope there will be trails and puddles as well.

Edit: well there is some, but it seems a bit inconsistent. Oh well.

Animations looks horrible. Especially blindfiring the Cold looks really clunky.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is it good? I don't have a PS.
It is the most realistic depiction of violence on humans in the history of videogames, if you eat blood and gore for breakfast that's your game, it is literally my goty (for now) just for that reason.

Unfortunately you have to endure a lot of mediocre story bits between gunfights.

Just wait for the pc version down the road or buy the remaster on ps5.

Last edited:
Don't know something off. Absolutely don't like new cast, Tommy looks and sounds like typical macho-gangster and he wasn't like this. And now it's just typical cover shooter, eh. I so much want this game to be great, but this video is uninspiring.

He sounds like such a stereotype. It's pure cringe.

I was hoping they'd at least have an option to use the old voice acting, but it seems they've also changed the script.

Edit: Just saw the gameplay reveal. Yeah, the script is fucked.

Last edited:

Sybrix

If it looks anywhere near how that trailer shows, it will be amazing.

Mafia 2 was one of my favourite games, never played Mafia 1 so this will be a treat.

This trailer still looks so good:

Last edited:
Top Bottom