• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 21 is now the worst user reviewed game on Metacritic

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Will ea get a free card from mc so they can remove all the bad reviews, or is that a privilege only for Naughty Dog? 🤔

Can it really be this bad?

gypsygib

Can somebody explain what's the reason for this review bombing?

Yeah, that would have been nice in a post entirely devoted to the subject.

Is it gameplay, bugs, MTX, broken online, a combination thereof? Who knows! Let me click a link to receive no more information than what's described in the headline and requires a separate google search to find out the necessary information.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There are tons of GAS out there: Overwatch, COD, Destiny, Apex etc....with constant updates why is Madden just not updated with new features, players etc..? They still will get $ via microtransactions? I know why...$$$$$$

diffusionx

Gold Member
EA Sports games are like Denny's or IHOP, where you keep coming back for the familiarity because the entry price is fair. People like to champion the old 2k or Midway games, and they were awesome too, but there's a reason EA Sports remained triumphant while the others didn't (NBA2k aside).

EA "remained triumphant" by getting the NFL to take away 2K's license 2K... the same year that 2K pushed their shit in. It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with marketing and licensing. Same with FIFA, where for years it was generally considered to be inferior on the pitch to PES (until Konami basically stopped caring).

Most people complaining these days would kill to have PS2 Madden back though. The reason why people are upset is because the entire game has regressed, the annual updates just add useless modes while messing around with the UT meta a little and not actually trying to make a better simulation. That esport competition where the guy won by fielding a team that didn't throw a pass, I mean it's not even possible to get further away from how football is actually played than that.

Point is the gripes are legitimate. I think NHL is the only one where they have consistently delivered a quality game.

LordCBH

Between the anti NFL sentiment and the anti EA sentiment.... the folks at Tiburon are fucked. They have so much sentiment against them that they actually have to deliver an MVP effort.

sadly I feel like the folks at Tiburon would be screwed even without the anti nfl feelings out there right now. There’s absolutely no way they can make any meaningful improvements to these games in the year they have to make them, and you know EA won’t ever delay madden, and you know the NFL would flip their shit if EA delayed it or missed a year.

teezzy

Banned
EA "remained triumphant" by getting the NFL to take away 2K's license 2K... the same year that 2K pushed their shit in. It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with marketing and licensing. Same with FIFA, where for years it was generally considered to be inferior on the pitch to PES (until Konami basically stopped caring).

Most people complaining these days would kill to have PS2 Madden back though. The reason why people are upset is because the entire game has regressed, the annual updates just add useless modes while messing around with the UT meta a little and not actually trying to make a better simulation. That esport competition where the guy won by fielding a team that didn't throw a pass, I mean it's not even possible to get further away from how football is actually played than that.

Point is the gripes are legitimate. I think NHL is the only one where they have consistently delivered a quality game.

Hockey stays winning, I guess. I do truly miss NHL Hitz though. I still play Hitz 2003 on my Xbox regularly.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I used to live and breath EA Sports game releases starting in the Genesis days through around PS2. Things started to erode when 2K left the game and these days the franchise is a joke. MUT is where all their effort goes and they bring back old, removed features as "new" a few years later. They know they can get away with it because it continues to sell. I'm glad people are destroying it on MC. I hope it collapses completely and EA are forced to deliver something innovative to bring players back.

Andodalf

Banned
As someone who’s purchased this and the last few maddens, madden 21 is a lot of fun, and a fine game. In a vacuum I’d give it like a 7.5/10, great if you love football, and if you don’t why are you playing this game? It’s also 95% the same as 20, and franchise hasn’t changed at all. That doesn’t change how good the game is. So idk how it should effect the score. Meanwhile the game is buggier than I can ever remover it being relative to past games, especially if you go online. So I get the frustration there for sure

PanzerAzel

Last Madden I played was on the SEGA Genesis, and that’s only because my brother bought it for me.

EA can go eat a dick.

the ultimate team bullshit killed it, we fifa players are facing the same issues, the very best mode pro clubs 11v11 has not been touched since 2016, ultimate on other hand continues to bring in more attention by EA

Apparently this game runs like ass and is packed with glitches and bugs

Apparently the people with the most to say on this game, haven't played it. Sure there is little difference, but that's been the way of EA Sports games even back in the day.
If you owned Madden 92 they weren't much different with 93 or between PGA and PGA Golf 2 and the same for most yearly sports games, even the 2K ones or the F1 games from Codemasters
I'm playing it on EA Accesses and its not a bad playing game at all and an 7/8 out of 10

But I get it, it's just made by EA and so that means the people must hate on it

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Watch it sell 20 million copies by next month.

Top Bottom