• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MachineGames’ Indiana Jones title is a ‘unique genre mash-up’, says Todd Howard - “It is a definite love letter to Indiana Jones”

fermcr

Bethesda’s Todd Howard has said MachineGames’ Indiana Jones game is a “unique” genre mash-up.
Howard, who’s serving as executive producer on the game, was asked if it will have an action adventure side to it during an interview with the Lex Fridman podcast.
“I would just say it’s a mash-up,” he responded. “It is a unique, it isn’t one thing intentionally, so it does a lot of different things”...

Full interview on link...
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...e-is-a-unique-genre-mash-up-says-todd-howard/

Here is another link on PC GAMER
https://www.pcgamer.com/todd-howard...e-is-a-definite-love-letter-dating-from-2009/

cireza

I hope this will be fun. Which means not bloated with stupid features most modern games have, like open-world, pick-ups, crafting, skill trees and all this shit.

Last edited:

SantaC

I have a friend working on this game, but be is a good boy. He refuse to say anything to me due to NDA of course.

I hope Todd keeps a tight leash on them. Wouldn't trust them to boil me an egg after the shitshow that was Wolfenstein 2.

Stafford

The one thing that I guess...worries me a little is that it's MachineGames and they are solely known for first person games. And if there's one thing I don't want a Indiana Jones game to be is first person, I want to see the character, the animations, the combat.

Maybe a mix of third and first is fine. Emperor's Tomb has this and that's cool. Optional first person aiming and that's about it. Never say never I guess, after all we've had studios that made third person games and went straight into first, so the other way around should be possible too.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
please don't post for the sake of posting.
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Kvally

Banned
Or they could have agreed in terms for the game to be on PlayStation as well. We know nothing at this point.
Well, besides MS still making Minecraft games for all devices, they haven't made any new games for PlayStation. I assume that since this is a first party game, it is Xbox exclusive. And, no, I don't ever trust Jez :)

Last edited:
I hope it's like 007: Everything or Nothing in spirit. One of the best movie license games ever, and definitely a multi genre game that encapsulates the whole property it was trying to capture. We don't get massive movie games like that anymore. Guardians of the Galaxy was the closest thing.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, besides MS still making Minecraft games for all devices, they haven't made any new games for PlayStation. I assume that since this is a first party game, it is Xbox exclusive.

The difference here is this isn't IP owned by Microsoft.

Kvally

Banned
The difference here is this isn't IP owned by Microsoft.
Oh, I see. Does that mean they have to make it multiplatform? Or does it mean they just don't have a choice and are a the mercy of the IP owner? I don't know how any of that works.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh, I see. Does that mean they have to make it multiplatform? Or does it mean they just don't have a choice and are a the mercy of the IP owner? I don't know how any of that works.

Depends on what MS and Lucasarts agreed to. I can definitely see this game being multiplat in order to secure the deal. Kind of like MLB. But it very well could be exclusive like Spider-man. We just don't know.

EruditeHobo

Just want some footage now.

Uncharted has made this game a no brainer for years now... we will have to see how well they do to maintain the spirit of the movies.

Bartski

Gold Member
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...of-riddick-director-joins-indiana-jones-team/

Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness director Jens Andersson has joined MachineGames to lead design on its Indiana Jones game, he’s confirmed to VGC.
Andersson will act as design director on the title and work in parallel with creative director Axel Torvenius, who was previously art director for the Wolfenstein games.
The design director will be familiar with his new colleagues, as like many at the Swedish studio, he previously worked at Starbreeze. Andersson also contributed to many of MachineGames’ previous titles as a freelance designer.
In total, more than 20 developers who worked on 2007’s The Darkness are on the Indiana Jones team, VGC understands.

Majormaxxx

Machine games ruined their own masterpiece. Wolf 1 and old blood were great. Wolf 2 was boring and cringe.

So I'm extremely cautious about this. Doesn't sound promising at all.

Sweden has a problem with its progressive culture (well to me it's a problem - for the swedes I'm sure it's fine and the problem is mine). I'm pretty sure this will somehow show in the game. Which is a pity.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The one thing that I guess...worries me a little is that it's MachineGames and they are solely known for first person games. And if there's one thing I don't want a Indiana Jones game to be is first person, I want to see the character, the animations, the combat.

Maybe a mix of third and first is fine. Emperor's Tomb has this and that's cool. Optional first person aiming and that's about it. Never say never I guess, after all we've had studios that made third person games and went straight into first, so the other way around should be possible too.
Probably driving, flying, some puzzles, maybe shooting is 1st person, the rest 3rd.

SantaC

This is also redemption. When I accepted the offer to go to San Francisco in 2009, it was to lead the design on an Indiana Jones game, but that game got cancelled before I even got there.

Now, I get a chance to do what I originally hoped to, but this time I get to do it with some of my oldest and best friends. Joining MachineGames is like coming home – amazing people I worked with during Riddick and Darkness, but also teeming with new ones, whose talent daily blow me away.”

He added: “I’m so excited about what we are building, and the way we get to do it – featuring one of most iconic characters ever, in collaboration with my friends at Lucasfilm (hi Craig!), published by one the biggest publishers in the world, and doing it at an amazing studio like MachineGames.

Old starbreeze had some of the best talent in the industry. This game will be amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom