• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Zelda: wind Waker HD. This is very disappointing game.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

One of my favorites of all time. I'll never forgot the sense of exploration playing it the first time as a kid. Love the atmosphere, music, story, and graphics. Crazy awesome boss fights as well.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It is a real shame that they never added those cut dungeons back in the game. I understand they were not ready but they should have made them/finished them for the Wii U version.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Like most other 3D Zeldas, they're great, they just take way too long to really get going and I don't wanna replay them.

I was always waiting for this game to get good. This game was from a DSM-5-TR classification period in videogame development where a lot of games were being made in ways which really alienated people from what they had come to expect from games. It was a pretty dark period

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Second or third best Zelda game for me. Almost flawless. My only criticism was the filler extension towards the end that wasn’t needed.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Fishing for triforce just about killed the game for me. I also agree that the music thing was dumb, the gameplay was slow, the ocean was empty and it really started to feel pointless by the end. Also the stealth mission were awful, and so were the mechanics for the sidequest to take pictures of everyone. I also recently learned that the reward for taking pictures of everyone is nothing, so I'm glad I never finished that.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this video, Did You Know Gaming takes a look at many pieces of cut content and unused ideas from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the Nintendo GameCube that impacted the game's mechanics, story, and presentation.

You can cut alot of the frustration down with the wii u version. Get the fast sail and fast travel ability asap. Once you have them, you can breeze through the game pretty quick. My complaint was the game is too short. Not enough dungeons.

Can't agree with Skyward Sword being better and as empty as the ocean is, it's not more empty than Twilight Princess Hyrule. And Skyward Sword is "handholding: the game" comparatively. Wind Waker was the last Zelda that put progression info in casual/optional subtext, like the throwing arrows at the hurricane to get teleport info. It wasn't a hard game, but it is refreshing that from a progress standpoint they don't think the player is an idiot.

Also, they kinda solved the "sea emptiness" on the Wii U with all the bottles with Miiverse connection. It just so happens that they ended the service and didn't even keep the servers on to provide that experience. Hence, the game you're playing is actually worse/less interesting on that front than when I played it years ago.

The+Legend+of+Zelda+The+Wind+Waker+HD+-+02.jpg

You would get bottles that had drawings and cool stuff on them all over the ocean.

BlackTron

I was disappointed as a teenager playing it after loving OoT/MM. And I actually loved the art direction from the reveal so it wasn’t that. I just felt there was something missing for me that made it boring. I think I enjoyed Twilight Princess my first time through more because the dungeons were so much better than Wind Waker’s. Though TP has a lot of its own issues too.

I eventually came back to Wind Waker again when it released on Wii U and enjoyed it more for what it was but I still don’t place it high on Zelda lists like most seem to.

I wasn't CRAZY about the art style but I went out and bought the game anyway. It's not like I was totally biased against the game because of the graphics even though I thought it was a bad idea.

But I had the same experience as you, as the disc was spinning in my GC the first week, I just lost all will to play the game and went back to Smash and Star Wars lol. I was still waiting for my sequel to OoT. Quite frankly, they still haven't made it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think it's easily one of the most overrated Zeldas. Yes, the sea is pretty mundane and the dungeons are forgettable.

I don't think it's a terrible game, just boring. I do love the art style and lots of the OST though. The swift sail in WW HD makes the game much better when it comes to sailing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s originally a 2002 game, it’s main dungeons play very well and holds a 90 on metacritic I could never figure out how people couldn’t finish the game.

K' Dash

I was surprised when I learned (yesterday) that the game had only a year and a half of development.

Aonuma and the team wanted to add lots of stuff to it, like visiting the sunken Hyrule in a mechanic like the Dark world from ALTTP but couldn't because of the strict deadline.

Another interesting thing is that the size of the sea was bigger than they wanted because they needed to load and render the assets and needed the extra time to get to the island to do it. I personally love sailing in the game, I don't mind it's size.

Jimmy_liv

One of my all time fave games but I hate the start where you have to escape from the prison cell and divert the lights. Annoying as hell.

ClosBSAS

Best Zelda game after oot. Twilight princess with it's wolf shit was so whaxk. Fuck that wolf mode for pussies

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have to heavily disagree, I thought Wind Waker was one of the better zelda's

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
BoTW was the worst zelda game
Saying it again doesn't make it true. Wind Waker is way, way worse than BotW. Zelda II is worse than BotW. Spirit Tracks is worse than even Wind Waker is.

SCB3

Can't agree with Skyward Sword being better and as empty as the ocean is, it's not more empty than Twilight Princess Hyrule. And Skyward Sword is "handholding: the game" comparatively. Wind Waker was the last Zelda that put progression info in casual/optional subtext, like the throwing arrows at the hurricane to get teleport info. It wasn't a hard game, but it is refreshing that from a progress standpoint they don't think the player is an idiot.

Also, they kinda solved the "sea emptiness" on the Wii U with all the bottles with Miiverse connection. It just so happens that they ended the service and didn't even keep the servers on to provide that experience. Hence, the game you're playing is actually worse/less interesting on that front than when I played it years ago.

The+Legend+of+Zelda+The+Wind+Waker+HD+-+02.jpg

You would get bottles that had drawings and cool stuff on them all over the ocean.

The Mii-verse stuff was really awesome, I wish they'd carried it on

But Wind Waker is one of my favs but the Wii U remaster really did a fine job cleaning up the QoL stuff, I used to always get up to the Stealth Area in the Hideout and quit until that version

I should replay it soon

KellyM

Wish Nintendo would go back re add some of the lost content that never made it to the game like the extra dungeon and other ideas.

Prior to breath of the wild, it was the worst mainline 3d Zelda. The HD release makes it significantly more tolerable though, and at times the visuals are breathtaking.

And no it's not better than skyward sword

On Skyward Sword, I had a blast with the motion controls in the dungeons. the puzzles were actually pretty fun including the boss fights. Revisiting the same areas and fetch quests was its downfall.

As far as wind Waker is concerned it has become one of my favorites. Just playing the intro with the music is very nostalgic and puts me in a great mood. Exploring the ocean on the boat became relaxing to me. And the varied boss fights were very fun. (This is where breath of the wild let me down)

Twilight princess has its moments but playing as wolf link is such a drag (and that’s like half the game). Otherwise I love it.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Never knew Miyamoto hated it. And damn 1,5 years of development? No wonder a lot got skipped. Still loved it tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom