• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Zelda: wind Waker HD. This is very disappointing game.

I am almost done zelda wind Waker HD. Doing trioforce hunting.

Zelda ott and Twilight princess are my favorite games.

This and skyward sword are however not good. I would place wind Waker even below skyward sword.

Sea is empty. Game play is slow . No fun lore and side quest. Hate music thingy. Just not good. Tedious.

Visuals are good. Rest not so much.

How about you guys?

I really want zelda like oot or tp next .

Moses85

julia louis dreyfus do not want GIF

SantaC

I am almost done zelda wind Waker HD. Doing trioforce hunting.

Zelda ott and Twilight princess are my favorite games.

This and skyward sword are however not good. I would place wind Waker even below skyward sword.

Sea is empty. Game play is slow . No fun lore and side quest. Hate music thingy. Just not good. Tedious.

Visuals are good. Rest not so much.

How about you guys?

I really want zelda like oot or tp next .
Music not good? What...WHAT?!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I liked it. It could have had more dungeons (looking at you, fish) and the Triforce hunting part was kinda lame, but aside from that I really liked it.

It had better and more combat that OOT, an amazing last part of the game and the sea exploration was peak comfy.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I've played through it twice (first on GC and then Wii U) and I really liked it. I don't really have any favorite Zelda game but it's one of the better ones, in my opinion.

I've never hated a game as much as Skyward Sword though. Its main redeeming quality was the amazing theme and it blew my mind when I heard it played backwards.

CashPrizes

I liked Wind Waker quite a bit, more then Twighlight Princess and definitely a lot more then Skyward Sword.

The monotonous Triforce hunting grind near the end is the only really awful part about it. Great visuals, music, good combat, good puzzles, pretty good story. I heard in the WiiU version they fixed the endgame grind or something? I only ever played it on GameCube.

Link to the Past is my favorite, then probably Breath of the Wild > Ocarina of Time > The original.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I did play it years ago, didn't finish it but I loved nonetheless. I hope they bring it to Switch eventually, would love playing it again.

Today I finished Link's Awakening remake and loved it too.

Was thinking about trying Skyward Sword, but since it's a port from Wii (and I hated Wii's control), I'm not really sure if they have been able to adapt it well enough for standard controls on Switch. Also, I heard very mixed opinions about the game.

I've played through it twice (first on GC and then Wii U) and I really liked it. I don't really have any favorite Zelda game but it's one of the better ones, in my opinion.

I've never hated a game as much as Skyward Sword though. Its main redeeming quality was the amazing theme and it blew my mind when I heard it played backwards.
Well I learned something. Skyward sword had good design though. I heard on switch it is improved?

It's a great game, a beloved classic even

Agreed sailing the open world can get a little tedious, but when u aren't doing that dungeons and bosses and towns and characters are all great

There used to be no magic sail in the OG Gamecube version so u had to pull out ur wand every time u wanted to change direction, that was rough

flying_sq

I've played a decent bit of it, but never finished it. I was always disappointed that underwater Hyrule wasn't a second world to explore. I think it would have been great to have an island you can claim and customize, would have been a cool feature to add to the HD Wii U remaster.

Otre

Banned
The Wind Waker is fine. The sailing dosent go far from the time you spend on Epona or Wolf Link in the other games until that last third. Tying your sword hits to musical notes is fantastic. The Cel Shaded graphics are still amazing and the last hit on Ganon surpasses even Ocarina's. The world building is second to none. Seeing Hyrule in that game is truly a jawdropping moment in the series.

Still, the game is unfinished. The sailing becomes a problem because they had to axe 2 dungeons and substituted that with a dreadful triforce hunt. The game so easy, to the point its childs play. It couldve been the best Zelda if it was actually finished and had balanced its difficulty.

The result was a good game that felt short of the masterpiece that was OoT and the greats BoTW, Majora's Mask & Twilight Princess. Its miles ahead of Skyward Sword, the black sheep of the 3D series. Its interminable tutorial, awful companion sword, bad story, regurgitated boss fights and linear design blemish the few good dungeons and boss fights it had. Gave us Groose though, so i cant hate the game.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Haven't played it in forever, but I do remember I loved sailing around and thought the art direction was incredible. I doubt my opinion has changed very much. I should check out the HD remake on Wii U.

I was disappointed as a teenager playing it after loving OoT/MM. And I actually loved the art direction from the reveal so it wasn’t that. I just felt there was something missing for me that made it boring. I think I enjoyed Twilight Princess my first time through more because the dungeons were so much better than Wind Waker’s. Though TP has a lot of its own issues too.

I eventually came back to Wind Waker again when it released on Wii U and enjoyed it more for what it was but I still don’t place it high on Zelda lists like most seem to.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This game initially came out in the era where big open world's were more of a novelty than a norm. It was basically the GCN saying "Look at this. Wouldn't see this on an N64, huh?"

I mean, I guess in essence you were supposed to look at each island like a puzzle, or a mini dungeon, in which case, it's not entirely removed from the concepts of recent Zelda games. The worst aspect was the Triforce quest at the end, and that was made trivial in the remaster.

Sound, visuals, and dungeons all hit for me.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Worst 3D Zelda gameplay-wise. Horribly formulaic. The exploration is mostly uninteresting. The sidequests are pure padding. The sailing is tedious at best, excruciating at its worst. The dungeons are good, too bad the ones where you have a companion are all about playing the same melody again and again and again in every room. The GC version was extraordinarily obnoxious - constantly opening the menu because you always need a different item, the camera holding a grand total of 3 pictures at any given time, slow sailing, every melody you play gets repeated twice before taking effect. And don’t get me started on that disasterrific Triforce pieces quest. All of this could easily be avoided, proof being the HD remake correcting most of these issues without a single drawback. Having the menu on the Gamepad’s screen is a godsend considering just how many times you have to change the active items in your inventory. The HD version is still a weak, incomplete game, but it makes the GC version all but obsolete. The supposed hit in the visuals is completely unnoticeable unless you compare the two versions side by side, while the improvements in the interface and gameplay unquestionably make the HD version a better game. It’s not up for debate, really. The GC version is a mess, always has been. Getting WW after the unbelievable killer duo of OoT and MM was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history.

This the game that made me start loving the zelda franchise, the exploration on the sea was great , my one and only complaint is that you always only found difderent color rupees and nothing exciting! I was always excited to find a new island and sail to it only to find yet more rupees!

BlackTron

I know a lot of people like the game, but as a follow-up to OOT on a brand new Nintendo system, the game always seemed like a joke to me from the very first reveal trailer. I tried to loosen up and play it anyway when it came out, but I never really got into it. Maybe I'd be more forgiving if it had a different name and didn't take up the Gamecube's Zelda release. It certainly has redeeming qualities but not those that I find critical to Zelda (lots of them do this, BOTW included).

lachesis

I enjoyed it, and still is one of my favorite Zelda game... - but as with a lot of games, it's based on an old game, and some part of the game didn't age too well.
I loved however, finding a small island far off the horizon, getting close to it trying to figuring out how to get on it & exploring it.

What actually shocked me was the last battle vs Ganondorf, slaughtering scene. I thought it was a bit too graphic for a game with such cute cel-shaded gfx.

ZoukGalaxy

I hear you.

The ending part is the worst (I played the Gamecube version back in time). What they where thinking ?!

I HATE this game.
I HATE also the graphics with the pathetic Loser Link face.

I should burn the disc and send the dust to the sun then ask Thanos to make dissappear the sun with all copy of this game from all universes

sun GIF

thanos GIF

Elysion

Banned
The game that single-handedly doomed the Gamecube. I‘m not joking; WW‘s cartoony graphics and dopey character design were the polar opposite of what people wanted in the early 2000s, especially after that Spaceworld demo. There‘s a reason why so many games from that period went the ‚edgy‘ route; that‘s what people were into back then. WW cemented Nintendo’s ‚kiddy‘ image at the worst possible time. If the game had looked more like Twilight Princess, people would‘ve went absolutely nuts over it, and it would’ve sold a ton of Gamecubes. Alas, we got chibi-Link instead, and when Twilight Princess eventually came out, the Gamecube was at the end of its lifecycle.

WW would‘ve probably been better received on the Wii, tbh.

nkarafo

Cell shading in WW was a scam. It's the same level of "let's make a low-res, heavily pixelated game to hide the fact that we can't afford proper artists and sell it as retro style" scam.

Nintendo was always about colorful/cartoony games. But that doesn't mean they weren't good at making natural looking graphics. Their best looking game to date is Mario Kart 8, god that game looks amazing. It's cartoony but at the same time uses very natural looking lighting, effects and materials. Nintendo was always good with this. Most of their games use that kind of style, which is why they look so good. In GameCube Luigi's Mansion also looked great because of this. But with WW i feel like, at the time, they decided it was too much work making a big Zelda game that looks like that. But making it look like Mario 64 all over again would be too obvious, plus it would be unacceptable on a console as powerful as the Gamecube. So how can they make a big game without spending too much money and effort with it's textures and materials and get away with it?

Enter Cell shading. This technique is pretty good at creating a certain style, i can't imagine games like Jet Set Radio without it. It's also pretty good for games that are supposed to look like anime shows, such as Dragonball for instance. But in a game like Zelda? I really don't think it's an ideal style. These games are big and heavy on exploration. You can spend a lot of time looking around, searching, scanning the environments.

Cell Shading may look nice in certain scenes with many objects and characters on screen (since the effect is mostly used on the 3D models and not the environments), but it can also look completely dull in most other situations. And Zelda is a game where the surrounding environments are more important and prominent than the 3D characters and also features large spaces that not necessarily have a lot of things in them. Especially such environments as... the empty sea! I mean, of all games, they chose the one that features sailing on large, empty bodies of water with nothing else on sight for most of the time. A game like this would benefit from a naturalistic look and especially some nice water shading. But no, have a flat blue colored surface with zero features instead. In any other game this would not be acceptable. But WW gets away with it because "style".

Making TP after this was a step in the right direction. I guess they did listen to all the criticisms but with Skyward Sword they regressed again, though not fully. It's a weird mix of cell shaded characters/flat colors/slightly natural look. BOTW is a further improvement thanks to it's visuals/art design benefiting a lot from the huge view distances but still relies on low-def graphics being justified by cell shaded characters and objects.

In conclusion: Not a fan.

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
Cell shading in WW was a scam. It's the same level of "let's make a low-res, heavily pixelated game to hide the fact that we can't afford proper artists and sell it as retro style" scam.

Nintendo was always about colorful/cartoony games. But that doesn't mean they weren't good at making natural looking graphics. Their best looking game to date is Mario Kart 8, god that game looks amazing. It's cartoony but at the same time uses very natural looking lighting, effects and materials. Nintendo was always good with this. Most of their games use that kind of style, which is why they look so good. In GameCube Luigi's Mansion also looked great because of this. But with WW i feel like, at the time, they decided it was too much work making a big Zelda game that looks like that. But making it look like Mario 64 all over again would be too obvious, plus it would be unacceptable on a console as powerful as the Gamecube. So how can they make a big game without spending too much money and effort with it's textures and materials and get away with it?

Enter Cell shading. This technique is pretty good at creating a certain style, i can't imagine games like Jet Set Radio without it. It's also pretty good for games that are supposed to look like anime shows, such as Dragonball for instance. But in a game like Zelda? I really don't think it's an ideal style. These games are big and heavy on exploration. You can spend a lot of time looking around, searching, scanning the environments.

Cell Shading may look nice in certain scenes with many objects and characters on screen (since the effect is mostly used on the 3D models and not the environments), but it can also look completely dull in most other situations. And Zelda is a game where the surrounding environments are more important and prominent than the 3D characters and also features large spaces that not necessarily have a lot of things in them. Especially such environments as... the empty sea! I mean, of all games, they chose the one that features sailing on large, empty bodies of water with nothing else on sight for most of the time. A game like this would benefit from a naturalistic look and especially some nice water shading. But no, have a flat blue colored surface with zero features instead. In any other game this would not be acceptable. But WW gets away with it because "style".

Making TP after this was a step in the right direction. I guess they did listen to all the criticisms but with Skyward Sword they regressed again, though not fully. It's a weird mix of cell shaded characters/flat colors/slightly natural look. BOTW is a further improvement thanks to it's visuals/art design benefiting a lot from the huge view distances but still relies on low-def graphics being justified by cell shaded characters and objects.

In conclusion: Not a fan.
You are completely wrong and need to look and understand the definition of scam . I get you dont like the WW art style but Twilight Princess looked dated the day it came out and looks awful by todays standards. Gameplay is king, so at least TP was great in that regard. Wind Waker's simplicity, inspiration and cleanliness showed restraint where it needed and went all out in Dungeons like the Dragon Roost Cavern. It stands the test of time.

Play those games at 4K with HD textures on Dolphin and WW will still look great always. TP only looks great when zoomed in character dialogue is happening or the screen has a calvacade of filters and bloom in those Wolf sections.

Its too bad Nintendo caved in to the insecure gamecube fans back in the day to give us the brown "realistic" look of its next game. I remember how much the Nintendo folk wanted to prove themselves that the console was not for children. Also, that tech demo with the Ocarina art style was perceived as a promise by fans, for some stupid reason.

I love this game. It does have a tedious start. I don't like the intro stealth level. And really, only 2 islands were fun hubs to explore

nkarafo

Play those games at 4K with HD textures on Dolphin and WW will still look great always. TP only looks great when zoomed in character dialogue is happening or the screen has a calvacade of filters and bloom in those Wolf sections.

Yeah, it's telling that you mentioned HD textures on Dolphin, which is exactly where the game lacked. TP also has HD texture packs that can make the game look good on modern panels.

On a CRT (where the games were made for) i prefer TP's visuals by a lot. So the word you are looking for is "cleaner" not necessarily "better". WW's almost flat colored looking textures can't have many blemishes for the modern panels to reveal. TP looks rougher because, while good enough for CRT TVs, it's textures are low res and blurry for modern panels. With a HD texture pack it looks pretty great.

WW does look great in some areas like the more dense Windfall village (if the graphics are dense enough you don't even need textures that much). But 90% of the time it just looks empty and flat for me. Also, i agree about the bloom and bad looking wolf sections in TP. Overuse of bloom was one of the worst things that plagued the visuals in many games at the time. Funny how they added the effect in the HD release of WW, though it's not as bad.

Also what was that rant about "the console not being for children"? Nobody had a problem with any other cutesy and colorful Nintendo game. Just because people wanted a Zelda game that looks more natural, just like the N64 games but with more detail, doesn't mean they are insecure about their manhood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom