• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xbox Series S after two years of PS5

JLB

Banned
If you're a console only person then having both is the only option, you'll miss out on so much if you pick a side.

If gaming is your hobby then enjoy all that the hobby offers.
or having only one its enough. I dont have time to play all the games i want on xbox, let alone if i had other consoles.

The game mode switching on and off irritated me so much that I just turned It off. At least it tried on my Samsung whereas the PS5 just stayed in game Mode all the time.
ALLM is broken on many TV’s. As is HDR switching to a black screen.
Everything works on my PC monitor but my Samsung chokes on anything modern.

I do wish the Series controllers had the nice rumble of the PS5 and less clicky dpad.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I don't get why it needs me to then press the xbox button again to switch to its input
That might be some weird interaction between your TV and the console. I have an XSX but that happens automatically for me, nothing else to do except for pressing the controller button once

Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was so close to getting the series s for £189 on black Friday but then I realised series x is best long term. Got it coming tomorrow. Still crazy how cheap series s was. Must have sold alot this week.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Honeymoon phase.

Also, saying that the Series S just runs games at a lower resolution (1440p instead of 4k, 1080p instead of 1440p) is an oversimplification over what really happens. The corners being cut on Series S are often a lot more than just a reduction in resolution.

I have a feeling most people that say this kind of stuff hasn't really tried the series s. Whilst the Series S does run everything at a lower quality (res, textures, FPS) I don't think that's it's of that noticeable quality for most people expecially casuals who wanna play the annual cod/FIFA

It's not a honeymoon phase for me at all. I have a series X on my 4k TV and a series s in my room upstairs on my 1080p TV. I don't really care when I switch between the two .... I just continue where I left off in my game and carry on playing.

oji-san

Banned
Enjoy your new console.:)
I own both PS5 and XSX but the XSS always seemed to me like a great deal if you're not too sensitive to res and frame rates. Could be an awesome console to kids, combine it with 3 years of cheap Game Pass and you're golden.
I also like the Xbox UI, the PS5 is more flashy and modern and i like it as well but some features are better on Xbox IMO, like the ability to update all games at once on Xbox while you need to update games on PS5 one by one if you don't have auto updates on.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Same boat, I have skipped Xbox last gen and got a PS5 and a decent gaming PC for this gen. I already have Game Pass, but I picked up a Series S because it was so cheap with the holiday deals, mostly so my wife and daughter can enjoy GamePass in the living room, and so wifey can play co-op with me. Thoughts:

• It's pretty great value for the money. The amount of stuff on GamePass is crazy and even better than the PC version, and we can have multiple users that can play at the same time on different systems, access to cloud gaming... The bang for the buck is striking. Especially as a second console it really makes sense.
  • It feels more like a last-gen Pro console than it does a current gen new console, especially at this time when the vast majority of games are cross gen anyway. That might change down the road but got more Series S optimized versions and One X optimized versions feel pretty close most of the time. My
  • Backward compatiblity with legacy generations is a real plus. I was able to jump into some of my old favorite XBLA games I still had in my account, which was great, and downloaded Panzer Dragoon Orta and GunValkyrie, which looked great in the system's emulation.
  • Non-rechargeable controllers are stupid. I know rechargeable battery packs exist but it's a silly corner to cut.

SF Kosmo

Still don't see the need. Maybe for someone who doesn't own a pc, but usually people that are that into gaming to buy two hd systems, have the money and time to get or build a pc.
Well that's the thing, if you're going to get a redundant system you need it to be cheap, right? I have a gaming PC with Game Pass and a PS5 already in my game room, but if I want to game with my wife or daughter on these games or let any of us enjoy them in the living room, there's a need for a second system.

Having a super affordable tier to do that makes it far more appealing. I wouldn't spend $500 for a system just to add the same content to a second screen in the house, but at $200 that actually makes a lot of sense and even after only a week of having it's really proving its worth.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nahh i’m good. PC/PS5/Switch is enough. Xbox is just a waste of money.
Well yeah, if you have a PC in the £800-900+ range that can match the performance of a Series X, an Xbox is redundant. That being said, so is your PS5 practically at this point.

PS5 is a waste of money.
£249 and Starfield, the next Doom etc being console exclusive - if anything I’d say the best use of anyones money is a Switch Oled paired with a Series S. 1080p heaven.

Ozriel

M$FT

Conclusion- ppl who paid 300$(or 200$ coz of all kinds of deals nowadays) for xss instead of ps5/xsx, have to pay same full price for games, and get gimped products, sometimes 2x worse(30fps vs 60fps) sometimes only bit worse(resolution, settings/rt cuts), but its pretty bad feeling to pay same price for a game only to get worse product vs some1 playing on ps5/xsx (and nope, that initial 200-300$ u saved wont make up for it imo, ofc there are ppl who dont notice/care about such stuff but from objective pov u can tell its bad deal longterm).

what an outrage.
On PC, if you own a GTX 1060, you pay less for games than people who own an RTX 4090

/s

This might well be the most brain-numbingly bad argument I’ve read on GAF this month.

Deerock71

On the performance: Games that are made for the Series...Series? Look totally fine! I barley mind the usual 1080p-1440p performance of the Series S next to the closer to 4K outputs of the larger consoles. If I want to notice, I can be like, ok yeah I remember that grass being sharper, but generally not an issue for me.
What you said here reminds me of the first two minutes of this interview:

Flutta

Banned
Well yeah, if you have a PC in the £800-900+ range that can match the performance of a Series X, an Xbox is redundant. That being said, so is your PS5 practically at this point..

It’s around 1600£.

When i bought my PS5 i didn’t know Sony would be releasing their games on PC. Also i’m that kind of guy that have a hard time waiting 6-12months for PC port of a game that i want to play during release. So no i wouldn’t call having a PS5 as reduntant in my case.

That being said. This might change come next gen if Sony starts to release their games day one on PC.

PS5 is a waste of money.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Trogdor1123

Same boat here too. Got a ps5 to start the gen. Love it. Traded in my ps4 pro for a series s and it’s been great. I tie that with game pass ultimate so my other kid can play on her pc too. It’s a fantastic combo

TLZ

Banned
If I find it cheap enough here I might get it for my bedroom 1080p TV. Especially for my kids.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s made for people like you, which is the majority of gamers out there.
Yeah, as we get older and have little time to play games, this really is a sweet little console. Ironically, I thought this console was a horrible idea when it was announced due to the limited RAM, but I have been proven wrong.

The Switch and Xbox has provided more than enough gaming hours for me.

I upgraded my headphones instead of entertaining these Series S deals.
Xbox has more to prove for me to invest in their ecosystem. At this rate I'll probably just get 2-3 of their games this gen on my PC.

Series S is holding back gaming and making people put in more effort.

it's leading to cost discrepancies in development which has gotten studios closed (ferret interactive, lolcopz gamez being prominent examples making hut games like Asphalt 8 and Jumping Taco) and have gotten many staff laid off. In fact, that's why back in early 2021 they kicked out Yuji Naka from Square Enix, and Sega had to cut their offer for his return to $23,000 a year which he rightfully refused.

The damage is astronomical as Sony had to start giving out games for free because of the change in market conditions and had to start putting more money in PC and mobile just to survive.

The amount of astronomical gaming damage to the gaming industry because of the Series S is unprecedented.

What it is, is another trojan horse stealth method to price out the competition knowing they can last the longest while studios go under, buying them for cheap, and then tanking the competition.

Please sign the following link which contains the petition for PETA to put sanctions on Microsoft for reverse exclusionary policies that attack the competition.

This is not how America should be run and people like Matt booty and Phil Spencer should be arrested on tampering charges immediately. Not to mention lying to shareholders to rig the stocks which is against the federal law as established by the USDA.

What's more is Microsofts refusal to release a black Series S which I find offensive, and reported their potential racism to the ATF for further documentation.

Sony is just barely making it, they just want to eat a family and make enough to start a meal.

Series S is holding back gaming and making people put in more effort.

it's leading to cost discrepancies in development which has gotten studios closed (ferret interactive, lolcopz gamez being prominent examples making hut games like Asphalt 8 and Jumping Taco) and have gotten many staff laid off. In fact, that's why back in early 2021 they kicked out Yuji Naka from Square Enix, and Sega had to cut their offer for his return to $23,000 a year which he rightfully refused.

The damage is astronomical as Sony had to start giving out games for free because of the change in market conditions and had to start putting more money in PC and mobile just to survive.

The amount of astronomical gaming damage to the gaming industry because of the Series S is unprecedented.

What it is, is another trojan horse stealth method to price out the competition knowing they can last the longest while studios go under, buying them for cheap, and then tanking the competition.

Please sign the following link which contains the petition for PETA to put sanctions on Microsoft for reverse exclusionary policies that attack the competition.

This is not how America should be run and people like Matt booty and Phil Spencer should be arrested on tampering charges immediately. Not to mention lying to shareholders to rig the stocks which is against the federal law as established by the USDA.

What's more is Microsofts refusal to release a black Series S which I find offensive, and reported their potential racism to the ATF for further documentation.

Sony is just barely making it, they just want to eat a family and make enough to start a meal.
gb39aX4.png

LordOfChaos

That might be some weird interaction between your TV and the console. I have an XSX but that happens automatically for me, nothing else to do except for pressing the controller button once

Hm strange. PS5 switches to its own input just fine even if I'm on another streaming service or input when I turn it on, but the Xbox while it will wake up the TV, doesn't until I press the button. I have all the CEC options on. Weird.

Hm strange. PS5 switches to its own input just fine even if I'm on another streaming service or input when I turn it on, but the Xbox while it will wake up the TV, doesn't until I press the button. I have all the CEC options on. Weird.
I think its actually in the system settings somewhere. Don't want to give you bad info but I could have sworn I had to turn that on.

LordOfChaos

I think its actually in the system settings somewhere. Don't want to give you bad info but I could have sworn I had to turn that on.

There's a setting to switch to its input on hitting the Xbox button when you're on a different input on, I have that one on and that works, but I don't see one to switch to it right away when turning it on. Is that what you mean? In the display settings under HDMI CEC I have every option on

There's a setting to switch to its input on hitting the Xbox button when you're on a different input on, I have that one on and that works, but I don't see one to switch to it right away when turning it on. Is that what you mean? In the display settings under HDMI CEC I have every option on
It works on mine. I remember at some point it didn't and I changed a setting.

Shit's weird. Got an off brand dock for Switch and that doesn't do it. PS5 and XSS do it.

BeardGawd

Banned
U can check DF vids/articles to see actual cuts xss gets vs xsx and ps5, in most cases its lower resolution but many times other cuts are there too, like weaker shadows, lack of ray tracing, some games, and depending on the person-thats probably the most hurtful cut- lack 60fps mode or run with visibly worse fps/dont achieve that target, to not look far recently launched sonic frontiers, timestampted so u can see what u missing out vs ps5/xss version
Edit:
To sum up flaws in this one game only: xss vs ps5/xss- 30fps vs 60fps on big consoles, and not stable 30fps but 30fps with incorrect framepacing, ofc huge resolution cut on top.

Conclusion- ppl who paid 300$(or 200$ coz of all kinds of deals nowadays) for xss instead of ps5/xsx, have to pay same full price for games, and get gimped products, sometimes 2x worse(30fps vs 60fps) sometimes only bit worse(resolution, settings/rt cuts), but its pretty bad feeling to pay same price for a game only to get worse product vs some1 playing on ps5/xsx (and nope, that initial 200-300$ u saved wont make up for it imo, ofc there are ppl who dont notice/care about such stuff but from objective pov u can tell its bad deal longterm).

Sonic Frontiers is a bug. You can enable 60fps on Series S by switching to 1080p:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Or if you paid $200 for an XSS and get Game Pass you're NOT paying full price for games at all and getting access to a library of nearly 500 games for only slightly more than you would be paying for basic PS Plus access.

No one would ever argue that it's the best way to play next-gen games, it isn't meant to be. But if you're gaming in a budget it's not a bad way to go.

Also makes a good second system, which is a real market that isn't well serviced. I was thinking about getting a little Android device for cloud streaming and emulation like a ShieldTV or something but the XSS made more sense for not that much more money.

Or if you paid $200 for an XSS and get Game Pass you're NOT paying full price for games at all and getting access to a library of nearly 500 games for only slightly more than you would be paying for basic PS Plus access.

No one would ever argue that it's the best way to play next-gen games, it isn't meant to be. But if you're gaming in a budget it's not a bad way to go.

Also makes a good second system, which is a real market that isn't well serviced. I was thinking about getting a little Android device for cloud streaming and emulation like a ShieldTV or something but the XSS made more sense for not that much more money.
Or 3rd system.

Top Bottom