• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Why don’t I like Monster Hunter: World?

TitanNut88

Folks, I’m going through a gaming crisis. I guess it is the age, but it’s super hard for me to find a game that I really love.

I never played Monster Hunter games before because I didn’t have the consoles they were released on, so I was really excited about World when it was announced. Since then, I started to play it twice: one for less than 5 hours and the second time for around 20 and I couldn’t like it. I don’t really know why; the character progression, the combat system, the story... Nothing feels good to me. It’s a pitty as I am willing to love it, but I simply can’t. Anyone else on the same boat?

MiguelItUp

Eh, at almost 36, I think it's less about age and more so about what else is going on in your life. At least, in my opinion. I've noticed depending on how much is going on in my life kind of reflects what I'm playing, or in the mood to play. As well as how often.

I personally have never understood the Monster Hunter hype. I tried playing a number of the iterations and they didn't really do anything for me, unsure why. I felt the same way about Dragon's Dogma. This is also coming from someone that doesn't really care for anything FromSoftware/Souls-like. Has nothing to do with the difficulty, they've just always felt sloppy and messy to me in ways where I just didn't like the overall feel and control. Tried playing them a bit, put about an hour in, and had no desire to play them again.

The last "big" game that felt this way to me was The Outer Worlds. Big fan of Oblivion and Skyrim, as well as the Fallout games. But I played The Outer Worlds for about an hour or so, and just had absolutely no desire to continue.

But, with Death Stranding I was playing a TON of it almost daily up until completion. Now I play a bit of Battlefront II and Modern Warfare multiplayer from time to time as it's fast and snacky. But that's about it. I want to play Jedi: Fallen Order (especially as a large Star Wars fan), hell, even Sekiro to give it a chance. As well as Control! But my desire to legitimately try them is so incredibly small.

A part of me feels like it might have something to do with the fact that SO many games are SO similar these days. So, I always feel a genuine pull and interest towards IPs that I recognize, really enjoy, or love. But if I play some IP I've never played before, and it feels very similar to something I've played before I immediately lose interest. Unless there's some new or interesting mechanic that really loops me in. Or if it's something that I previously loved.

I dunno, sometimes it feels complicated, but I try not to dwell on it too much.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

The problem I have with this game (and other games of it's ilk) is that the initial playthrough can be a slog . You really don't have anything unlocked you're probably still fighting basic monsters as the elder dragons haven't shown up yet , you probably don't have access to decorations yet . I was lucky as I was able to playthrough with friends through the entire game almost which made it easy to tolerate . When you get to the end game and you have all your gear and monster types unlocked the game opens up significantly .

To answer your question directly yes I am kind of in the same boat. I'm playing through the pc version solo and I only push on because I know what waits for me at end game but I can only manage an hour or 2 before just turning it off

Yeah started the game like 2 weeks ago and played only for 2 hours. Can't get into it despite playing a lot of looters last year (not a fan of them, but yeah...). Dunno what's wrong with this game but it's so unappealing to me. One of the reasons is that it throws so much at you and you feel overwhelmed. Definitely not a game for first timers.

Last edited:
Folks, I’m going through a gaming crisis. I guess it is the age, but it’s super hard for me to find a game that I really love.

I never played Monster Hunter games before because I didn’t have the consoles they were released on, so I was really excited about World when it was announced. Since then, I started to play it twice: one for less than 5 hours and the second time for around 20 and I couldn’t like it. I don’t really know why; the character progression, the combat system, the story... Nothing feels good to me. It’s a pitty as I am willing to love it, but I simply can’t. Anyone else on the same boat?

I had the exact same experience. Was excited to finally play monster hunter on pc. But i just couldn't enjoy it. After a few hours i uninstalled the game. Months later i tried again. Same result.
I don't care about the story and i don't like the gameplay.

Tiamat2san

I didn’t clicked with either.
I wanted to see what the hype on this game was about.
I got bored really fast.
Gave it a chance with gamepass , still not my kind of game.

Pejo

Monster Hunter is like Dark Souls in that it seems obtuse and difficult until it "clicks" with you, and you understand what it's trying to accomplish. World is the best jumping in point that the series has ever had, for all the accessibility and Quality of Life additions. Older games had you doing harvesting and delivery quests for like the first 2 hours, this one drops you into the action immediately.

Have you tried each of the weapons to find one you gel with? They each have a different mechanic and fairly deep system to work through to get the most out of them. Longsword seems to be the choice du jour with World since it's fairly mobile and straightforwad with good reach and recovery.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You don't what you don't like and don't need to stress over it, just play the games you like. This entire GAF considers Witcher 3 "game of generation" and "is must buy for everybody" but I know my own taste in games I really don't like Witcher games or any other CD project games and I don't feel bad and you shouldn't feel bad for not liking popular game either.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's a weird one for sure. My suggestion would be to find a weapon you like and then go on youtube for a tutorial. There are combos that the game itself won't even teach you.

There are some really clunky and outdated systems going on in the game that make it a chore, but the base game is really enjoyable once you get over the hump.

The combat system is really mostly about learning the timing and perfecting it against the moveset of each monster. It's not for everyone, but you can't look at it like a Dark Souls game or really like any other kind of game you've played before.

Last edited:
Because, in my opinion, Monster Hunter games are inherently shite. I love third person action games, big Souls fans, etc. I've tried to like MH games, I really have. I've tried 3 of them. They just don't click with me.

Saber

Gold Member
Same for me. Never played MH games, but got MHW. Those range of weapons are really something that made me interested.

I even beat the game...but I couldn't like at all. Everything seems like a freaking chore. Drops are basically depending on monsters that takes a lot just to beat. So in the end, you just waste way too much time just for grinding. Unnecessary grinding if you ask me.

Also, a lot of things in the game waste your time for no reason. For example, to use a potion you have to press the button to unsheatg the weapon(or item button) and then press the item button(not all weapons need that though). Lol, why can't I press one button and he does the 2 actions at the same time?

And then you have the food mechanics, that I never feel like it was bonus to helping me. It acts more like necessity. If you don't eat, you gonna have a hard time.

And then you have time limited hunts, special conditions...

I even tried 3 more weapons to see if it changes my experience. But in the end, I wasn't having fun at all. Its a chore game, and I never touch it since I beat it. I wish I could trade or re-sell this thing. Gonna see if my cousin feel interested in this game.

Last edited:

Not sure if it'll help but I'll share a truncated version of my MH history.

I got MH3U on 3DS and Wii U and spent maybe 10-20hrs or so with the longsword. Never really got good, loved the concept of underwater fighting but disliked the execution of it.

Later on, MH4U had a demo on the 3DS. I decided to give it a try and gravitated to the Charge Blade because it looked badass while transforming and doing all that fancy stuff.

I ended up getting the game and played it slowly but surely. The story was better told than in MH3U, which made it easier to stick with, but the Charge Blade was a big reason for me liking it.

The other big reason is that I get super duper salty when I lose to a monster. And as you can guess, that happens more and more as you progress.

So soon enough I was caught up in this loop of being beat down by a more difficult monster, learning its attack patterns then returning the favour.

For many people MH is a team game with loot. For me it's 3D fighting with fantastical monsters, mostly 1v1 (I play completely solo with no palicoes) and I love that about it.

I do have to say that I didn't spend very much time with MHW; MHXX was more my jam but I reckon more people would miss the QOL stuff that MHW introduced.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I really enjoyed MH World...probably because it was my first time playing the series. It did get tired after a beat the game and hit level 100. I tried to come back with the updates but never really grasped me again. I didn't try Iceborne though.

Quezacolt

I don't really know what it was, but MHW didnt click with me. I've been playing enjoying the series since MH tri on the wii, and had a blast with each game, but world was weird, and no, it wasnt series fatigue, because months later i got MH Gen U for the switch and put much more hours in that and had a lot more fun even if it's "archaic" compared to World.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Yeah started the game like 2 weeks ago and played only for 2 hours. Can't get into it despite playing a lot of looters last year (not a fan of them, but yeah...). Dunno what's wrong with this game but it's so unappealing to me. One of the reasons is that it throws so much at you and you feel overwhelmed. Definitely not a game for first timers.

Which says a lot because World is extremely dumb downed and stream lined compared to Generations Ultimate and the previous Monster Hunters and people still find it intimidating and daunting.

Klayzer

Shut your whore mouth! Just kidding dude. Monster Hunter is not for everyone, hell when I tried it on the PSP years ago, I didn't like it either. It felt stiff and boring at the same time. Eventually I just kept coming back to it, before the mechanics of the game spoke to me. Now I'm a lifer. And the club president...

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Might be the grind. You have to kill the same critters over and over to get the materials to upgrade your weapons and armors.

down 2 orth

Of the many games I've played, this was one of the only ones in which some boss fights were full on rigged for you to fail. I think they were trying to copy the Destiny model, where you're aggressively encouraged to have your friend buy the game to play it with you.

Ellery

Same problem. I felt like there was no substance. I didn't know why I should continue or care for anything in the game. It felt like a huge pile of data to me instead of a lovely put together game that is one unit
(I don't mean any offense by that)

Age is a factor too yes, but for me it is more about motivating myself to actually play games and do so for long periods. I get easily distracted and can't really immerse myself in most games.

I guess at the end of the day you have to find what you love and be honest about it with yourself. Sometimes I want to like the cool new stuff that people are hyping, but it doesn't work for me and I need to stick with my guilty pleasures instead.

Grinchy

Banned
I think one of the problems is seeing it has a storyline and thinking it's some kind of action RPG. It's more like a looter game with an action battle system. You're just supposed to grind monsters and materials over and over again because the combat system is so fulfilling.

The story is meaningless. If the combat doesn't click, the game is nothing. If the combat does click, you will find yourself hooked for almost 400 hours and then be bitching about how bad the late end game DLC can be.

Valonquar

The game felt like PSO except instead of grinding for days for a rare weapon drop you were supposed to grind for days for a rare piece of animal drop that you needed 20 of to craft a weapon. Also the controls felt really janky, after playing From Software masterpieces.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

My first contact with this game was similar. The initial hype quickly turned into frustration, the plot felt insignificant, the combat system seemed slow and too focused on timing, i couldn't even set up the camera properly. And if that wasn't enough, the game was overwhelming with its level of complexity. The impression was amplified by the fact that I was just moving from HZD, where everything was clear and simple, with smooth controls and an intuitive combat system.
It was like going back in time, learning how to walk all over again.

But I liked the game loop and the feeling of fulfillment after completing tasks, it somehow held me for another 100 hours until I gave up.

After a year-long break I tried the multiplayer and everything changed. It clicked, like fucking magic it clicked.
When the element of teamwork with a mixture of healthy competition came to play, everything gained momentum. Not wanting to be a pain in my team's ass, I started exploring everything the game had to offer, everything that would give me an edge in battle. The character/weapon/armor development system is a game in itself. You can dig in this shit for hours.
Added to this are fighting techniques, combos, using the environment to gain advantages, assigning roles in your team etc.

As of today, I have 850+ hours spent together in MH:World and Iceborne, still playing that goddamn game :lollipop_grinning:

The question is whether it's worth spending so much time and energy for something that can eventually work or just frustrate you to the core? Maybe just give up this game for a while and try it when your mood returns. I would suggest multiplayer though.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Never played the games so I can't comment on them. I still play PSO here and there. PSO takes me back to the twilight of my teens. The gameplay is dated, but familiar. Probably not, but you never know. As it is, it has been nearly twenty years since I first played it.

Which says a lot because World is extremely dumb downed and stream lined compared to Generations Ultimate and the previous Monster Hunters and people still find it intimidating and daunting.
It only says that the game has shit for tutorials. I won't waste my time watching youtube to learn different things just to endlessly grind dinosaurs.

mcz117chief

MH:W is incredibly diverse. It allows for many different play styles. I would suggest trying out a different weapon and play style. Maybe focus on traps and set ups, look for environmental hazards which you can use to your own advantage or just pick the great sword and run straight for the monster. Maybe give us a list of your favorite video games and we go from there to suggest you something else.

Lanrutcon

Most people don't like MHW before they even try it, because they go on thinking DMC, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, etc. MHW has much much more in common with Street Fighter: it's a skill based game where mastering your weapon of choice's moveset is key. You're not the chosen one, you're some dude fighting a dinosaur. Sometimes the dinosaur has wings, or shoots lightning, or throws trees at you. It gets away with murder, while you have to work for your money.

Once you get your head around all of that (and if you're still on board for the ride), then you gotta deal with the general gameplay loop which is really just a bunch of arena style deathmatches (again: similar to a fighting game). This also turns some people off, as there's no exploration or npcs or the normal trappings of an rpg.

And then finally there's the difficulty curve.

So lots of hurdles to overcome before you can like the game, really. It's not for everyone. Yesterday I used a machine gun to hunt to a giant raptor with wings and an attitude problem. I'm having fun.

Last edited:

bati

It's an acquired taste. I came to MHW (my first MH game) with a perspective of a hardcore Souls fanatic and it threw me for a loop. It took me a long time to come to terms with the deliberate nature of the combat and what is basically a boss rush structure of the game with prolonged fights. But then as I got a little more comfortable with my chosen weapons I noticed the hunt times go down. I started at 40 minutes for a frickin Great Jagras. Then 30. 15. 10. 5. 2! In the end when I had access to all the endgame equipment and I was blitzing tempered monsters under 3 minutes I realized it wasn't just my gear that improves, I did as well. And when you account for all the variables in combat and realize the complexity is far above that of the Souls game and that the game doesn't care even a little about you managing to handle it or not, you see how satisfying it is when you finally beat it into submissions.

At the end I was playing for the satisfaction of combat alone, I didn't even need any decos or monster materials but I continued to play because it was so enjoyable.

TitanNut88

Thanks for the feedback. I found my answers in some of the replies. Not all games are for everyone. It's just that, with this one, I would have loved to like it.

V4skunk

Banned

Do you like Soulsborne?
If not this game is most likely not for you for obvious reasons.

Grinchy

Banned
If you want to play easy mode, just go online every single time and let the other 3 players do all the work while you shoot a bow or something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don’t really know why; the character progression, the combat system, the story... Nothing feels good to me. It’s a pitty as I am willing to love it, but I simply can’t. Anyone else on the same boat?

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. These games are NOT for me and I just don't see the appeal. Shame really because I'm a huge weeb, but I wasn't a fan of anything except that "air and down" combo with the sword and shield. That was pretty cool and carried me until high rank, at which point I was expected to grind like an absolute asshole and I just couldn't do it. I don't play many online games, played MHW as if it was a single player game so maybe that was the problem.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

They have schools. Schools that help you understand all the systems put in place. Actual schools. In real life. This game is not for everyone. I tried to like it and don’t understand the appeal.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The series really is a "you either like it or your friends force you to play it until you decide you aren't having fun" kinda thing.

manfestival

As long as you don't play warframe then you will be fine.

Gargus

Banned
I tried the new one on ps4 and didnt like it. I didnt like how to combat felt, couldn't get past it and quit after a couple hours of actually being in the game. I didnt like how clunky and slow it felt and I tried the different weapon options. I also don't like crafting and I dont like running around player hubs.

I guess it just wasnt a game for me. I was disappointed since I'd heard so much about monster hunter but never really tried one.

Sygma

Its an incredibly overrated game in terms of review score, it doesn't have a ton of depth, but the variety of locales and monsters make up for it honestly and its kinda fun in multiplayer. Played it for 200 hours+

the only bad things about it that I can think of is that some weapons really dont perform as well as others, and the clutch claw in iceborne makes everything kinda tedious at master rank

Last edited:
I loved pre-World MH, 'hate' World. :(

My main issues are the meaningless hacknslay gameplay, the too close camera and the lacking story (the latter was lacking on 3DS, too, but simple graphics made it less conspicuous).

I'd love to see a new 'traditional' MH for Switch, but I have little hopes. World sold so much, why go back, huh. It's the Pokemon dilemma all over again.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
and the lacking story (the latter was lacking on 3DS, too, but simple graphics made it less conspicuous).
Mainly they didn't focus as much on story be4 World, it was an excuse to slay some monsters for the most part. 4 had a bit more of it but still not as much as World. Even 3's single player had a subtler cooler story that was seamless with the game. I liked the pre-World separate online portions (you could solo if so inclined) too. My most favorite MonHun is Tri on Wii (I didn't like the downgrades on 3DS and the flagship monster was bleh on Ultimate), it was a perfect package, followed by 4 Ultimate followed by Freedom Unite. I've yet to bother playing Iceborne but I doubt it will change my mind. I hope the next gen MonHun feels like a Tri Redux, a from scratch game taking all the best elements of previous titles to the next level with all new areas, monsters and mechanics except for a few fan favorites. And bring back swimming. Keep areas seamless but more contained, tightly designed with less useless fluff like they used to be. Trim all the fat (but keep the bow this time!). Etc.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I didn't find the gameplay engaging at all. I liked nothing about the story. It was so bad that I turned both the dialog volume and subtitles off. Then I found out the cutscenes were unskippable, and that's when I bowed out. Could have really fun, but I couldn't get into it.

Greedings

MH is an acquired taste.

I once bought a MH for PSP and hated it. After forcing myself to play (I didn't want to waste what little money I had at the time) it finally clicked and now I love MH games. I think they're best on handheld, because there can be a lot of grinding, so you can just play with the TV on in the background, but MH:world is a great addition to the mix.

I would say keep pushing, and if you still don't like it, quit. It's not for everyone, and MH games certainly aren't perfect, but they are great once you understand them, fault and all.

Also...story, MH:world has a story? Even if it does, who the fuck cares? The game is called monster hunter, take a hint from that.

Last edited:

memphisba

tried the demo and didn;t like it. Clunky game play. Not sure if its my ps4 slim.
I dont fancy repetitive gameplay either. Might pick it up somewhere down the line.

Are there still players for the vanilia versions? or mostly transit to iceborn now?

TTOOLL

Let me bump this thread...

Started this game yesterday and played for a few hours, it hasn't clicked yet and I'm finding the loot and crafting system a bit overwhelming.

I had been playing DS3 so in terms of combat I'll just have to adapt, though I keep trying to play it as a souls game.

Is there free exploration in this game or is it just missions? Can I play it alone all the time?

Top Bottom