• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last Guardian via PS5 store (2016)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
QQPqTxz.jpg

I'm guessing a lot of gamers haven't played the game, everything is so multiplayer, all about RPG today and I get that, a game like the Last Guardian isn't on people's priorities list.

the-last-guardian-3.jpg

There're many games people don't hear about and this is one of them and I feel very privileged to have had played it so let's dive in.

Originally announced in 2009, the Last Guardian was supposed to be a PS3 game, delay after delay up until E3 2015 where a PS4 version was announced.

images

What the last guardian does best is in it's atmosphere, visuals, and it's story that has a young boy attempting to escape from a deserted mountain city with the help of a giant flying beast named Trico.

Playing the Last Guardian with COD, multiplayer normal speeds isn't possible with the game's awful movements, my gut feeling about this game like it's older brother the Shadow of the Colossus is it's controls are pretty bad and isn't ready to contend with the likes of Breath of the Wild, Assassins Creed or a Horizon game but you could lump it into that open world mix because it's straight to the point story, and gameplay. Overall it's a very limited game but a great nugget of a game.

5fa82f0b93e221765b6babb6beaeac49.gif

What seemed like an afterthought, dug itself a grave, and many thought would never see day light BAM, it climbed into gamer's shelves and is in the arms of gamers around the world.

EPIC soundtrack.

The 1 on 1, and building trust with the beast known as Trico is incredible. Dropping from 30FT up in the air and because the environment is being attacked and falling only to have Trico grab you is incredible. The ability to guide, ask and take down enemies is one of the benefits of having Trico.

SandyFluffyAsiantrumpetfish-size_restricted.gif

The added shield that controls the beasts tail is an extra creative moment in the game and wasn't expected, that almost makes you unstoppable.

The armored knights create problems for you and produce pressure to keep moving forward. They're the main enemy in the game, I do think they're scary even though they're aren't supposed to. The boy isn't able to directly defeat the soldiers and that makes the 1 on 1 with Trico so incredible.

images

Legit threats.

Untitled.png

"Master of the Valley" a black orb that gives power to the evil beings in the Last Guardian universe.

This is an established game from an established studio (Shadow of the Colossus). The game has obvious problems that are solvable through a remaster or a sequel, and if possible add other ways to traverse, and make it less of a chore. Those are peoples complaints or worries, I would say I'm comfortable with the final product and it's just a deep, weird game and throughout my whole play session it was a treat to play.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
what's really irritating that unpatched from disc it will run at 60FPS on PS5 easily, but due to them capping the frame rate at 30 in a patch later on so that the game felt "smoother" this results in it being locked at 30 once patched.

its a real shame too because I feels alot better at 60FPS. Like please someone just send an update out to unlock this thing for PS5 so everyone can experience the joy of 60 FPS catbirddog.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
This is one of the most powerful looking games I’ve ever seen in my life, The Last Guardian, and I’m hopeful that it will be playable on the PS5 one day

The connection that the boy and Trico share almost had me in tears when I watched an introductory mission early at the start of the game several years ago. Fumito Ueda is certainly one of the most talented artists in the industry, outstanding director with incredible vision. Never knew Ico was made by him either until just now, that’s another one to add to the list of must plays

But as far as The Last Guardian goes, even without playing it, the few messages that I saw expressed in the gameplay moved me, it’s been one of the games I’ve been the most curious about for years

Certinty

I like puzzle games but this bored the absolute shit out of me. I must have got half way and tried to force myself to continue and like it but I just couldn’t. Besides the game looking beautiful the rest was a dull mess to me.

Kuranghi

Cool writeup but maybe censor the final puzzle in the game. I really liked the game, not as much as Ico or Shadow but still awesome.

A.Romero

I liked it but have it on the shelf at the moment. I'm maybe in the middle of it.

It genuinely hurts to see Trico being wounded. I feel bad for making him make jumps and stuff that might result in having him fall and die (I know this is not possible but still...).

Kind of avoiding finishing it because knowing Ueda it will end up in tragedy.

Kuranghi

what's really irritating that unpatched from disc it will run at 60FPS on PS5 easily, but due to them capping the frame rate at 30 in a patch later on so that the game felt "smoother" this results in it being locked at 30 once patched.

its a real shame too because I feels alot better at 60FPS. Like please someone just send an update out to unlock this thing for PS5 so everyone can experience the joy of 60 FPS catbirddog.

Yeah I was going to play it with the unpatched disc version but someone told me it has a really high chance of crashing at a few points and to pass it I'd need to install the patch, finish that bit, then uninstall the whole thing without patch again, then repeat for the other times it crashes.

Kinda took the wind out of my sails regarding replaying it. I played on Pro the first time so at least it was really sharp if at 30fps but I don't want to replay the game at 30fps again. Also if you play unpatched you don't get HDR (I'm not sure its that great anway, maybe SDR is better overall) or more importantly the patched deadzones and sensitivity for camera movement which is a godsend next to the lagtastic unpatched camera.

Its likely a patch is basically impossible at this point unless Sony asks someone else to do it for them and there is zero incentive for them to do that.

Kuranghi

I liked it but have it on the shelf at the moment. I'm maybe in the middle of it.

It genuinely hurts to see Trico being wounded. I feel bad for making him make jumps and stuff that might result in having him fall and die (I know this is not possible but still...).

Kind of avoiding finishing it because knowing Ueda it will end up in tragedy.

No spoilers but you need to finish it, you probably will get a bit upset during many of the ending parts tbh though, its very visceral. Some/many of the bits coming up where you are amazing mate.

GametimeUK

One of the best games I have ever played in my life. I can't remember the last time a piece of media moved me like this game. It had me fully invested and it was a joy to play at 60fps aside from a few parts where I had to patch the game to proceed since it was crashing.

FrankWza

Played it at launch and I want to go back and play it on PS5 with the frame rate bump but my backlogitis is incurable. Fantastic game

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah its unfortunate. I just deleted all my files and bought the disc version and it runs 60fps, just a bit more buggy than usual

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Incredible game. One of my favs on the system. I am just about to replay it for first time on ps5. So hdr, 4k, stable 30fps (haha I played it on slim before).
This is my fav moment: - SPOILERS:

edit: yes, the disc version runs at 60fps but got even more sloppy controls and some bugs. It is said to crash in few places with no way to progress... and it does not have HDR.

edit2: For some reason, This, Soma and TLOU2 were the only games that make me cry at the end

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

One of the perks of buying physical games. Which I already have lol.

But it just shows how Sony is lacking in everywhere. how hard is it to uncheck the patch box for the PS5 users ?

You can't expect much when a company CEO is a clown.

Ryu Kaiba

I own the CE and it's top 5 game of last gen for me.Sad Fumito Ueda left the company. I wonder if he's working on any new games or what he's up to now.
He's with his own studio GenDesign but they've been dark for a long time. Last I heard Epic picked up publishing rights for their next project.

Ryu Kaiba

Fumito Ueda is the most underappreciated developer of our time.

It's a damn shame that most people that experienced this game did it via Let's players and YouTubers who are just looking to take the piss out of everything for content.

I feel it's something that when played first hand one is truly able to bond with the creature and appreciate the journey they took together.

This is the best review for the game done by the Easy Allies whom later went on to make it their game of the year. It was mines as well.

dotnotbot

Are there any noticeable downsides of playing unpatched 1.0 disc version? Any important bugs that were fixed later?

Edit: found the answer

Patches after 1.00 include 30fps cap, improved camera deadzones, bug fixes, and HDR support.

Last edited:

Hestar69

He's with his own studio GenDesign but they've been dark for a long time. Last I heard Epic picked up publishing rights for their next project.
oh wow I didn't know that. I really hope he makes a new game I haven't played a game he's made that I didn't love.

TonyK

I have it digitally and played and enjoyed it back in the day. A 60fps patch for PS5 and I will replay it for sure.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Amazing game that not only should have received a 60fps patch, but also complete PSVR support, because that taster they put out was brilliant albeit short.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Team Ico's games have continually focused on the ideas of eliciting such strong responses from gamers and its swansong title The Last Guardian is no exception in this regard. Released in 2016, The Last Guardian was perhaps the most polarizing game released that year with some fans calling it one of the best games of all time while others criticized its controls, AI, and performance issues.

More than 5 years later, many have come around to appreciating its better aspects and the bold strides it took in its game design. To that effect, the time seems ripe to ask - what made The Last Guardian one hell of a game?

skit_data

Finished the SotC remake not that long ago and… I really, really liked it!

Downloaded The Last Guardian to play it, I’ve missed out totally on Uedas games (mostly played PC during the PS2 days) so now I’m actually trying to find Ico for my PS3 as well.

Top Bottom