• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars: Republic Commando (PS4)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This was originally a 2005 game released on PC and Xbox than in 2021, this year, it was rereleased for Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch (also playable on PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X)

9319e124-bef3-4676-a3f0-84dfdd983581.png

Was happy to have played this game.

The formula in Republic Commando is very traditional, campaign spanning over 19 chapters, 4 main areas, and 9-10 hours.

Squad gameplay is the core of Republic Commando, you'll have fun moving squad mates around for cover, or grenade fire, planting explosives' and navigating through alien worlds.
republic-commando-clone-wars.gif

One of your squad mates. I think they could have developed the characters more but bottom line it's an FPS that leans heavily on gunplay not personality.

The enemies here are something gamers liked from Republic Commando.
Enemies like battle droids, trandoshans (alien reptiles) etc. facing a super battle droid in Republic Commando feels more of a threat than killing one in Battlefront and should be considered a success.

BlindSilverGerenuk-size_restricted.gif

This is maybe my favorite Star Wars game, we hear all the time how great Knights of the Old Republic is but Republic Commando is unbelievable. I think it's a top 10 FPS up there with Halo and COD campaigns, the awe of discovering the Wookie homeworld was memorable, and there's a little bit of horror to killing all these enemies. I could see a brand new republic commando game down the road for EA and Star Wars.

Untitled.png

58 but still one of the highest rated Star Wars game, the style of game won't get high review scores. It's one of the games where FPS experience comes in handy. You can add your touch of sniper fire cover, or rushing in. You can't beat this game without rushing and playing with speed. Being too patient will get you killed.

All these years later Republic Commando feels bigger and better than ever. It's simple corridor gameplay, trying to stay alive, always under pressure from battle droids, or aliens is something that makes it great.

I played it on Steam a while ago. It's a fun tactical shooter that looks and plays great considering it was originally released on Xbox.

Even though Republic Commando succeeds in making me feel like an elite clone trooper leading other badass clone troopers through dangerous missions, in my opinion Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel are much better Star Wars games. But I wonder what LucasArts might have achieved with the sequel, Imperial Commando, had they not cancelled it.

Didn't know that has a half grade in Metacritic. Whatever, I had a blast back in the day

I hope it comes to EA Play - GamePass

The Xbox and PC Metascores for this game are much better at 78 (more critic reviews than the PS4 version).

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This was originally a 2005 game released on PC and Xbox than in 2021, this year, it was rereleased for Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch (also playable on PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X)

9319e124-bef3-4676-a3f0-84dfdd983581.png

Was happy to have played this game.

The formula in Republic Commando is very traditional, campaign spanning over 19 chapters, 4 main areas, and 9-10 hours.

Squad gameplay is the core of Republic Commando, you'll have fun moving squad mates around for cover, or grenade fire, planting explosives' and navigating through alien worlds.
republic-commando-clone-wars.gif

One of your squad mates. I think they could have developed the characters more but bottom line it's an FPS that leans heavily on gunplay not personality.

The enemies here are something gamers liked from Republic Commando.
Enemies like battle droids, trandoshans (alien reptiles) etc. facing a super battle droid in Republic Commando feels more of a threat than killing one in Battlefront and should be considered a success.

BlindSilverGerenuk-size_restricted.gif

This is maybe my favorite Star Wars game, we hear all the time how great Knights of the Old Republic is but Republic Commando is unbelievable. I think it's a top 10 FPS up there with Halo and COD campaigns, the awe of discovering the Wookie homeworld was memorable, and there's a little bit of horror to killing all these enemies. I could see a brand new republic commando game down the road for EA and Star Wars.

Untitled.png

58 but still one of the highest rated Star Wars game, the style of game won't get high review scores. It's one of the games where FPS experience comes in handy. You can add your touch of sniper fire cover, or rushing in. You can't beat this game without rushing and playing with speed. Being too patient will get you killed.

All these years later Republic Commando feels bigger and better than ever. It's simple corridor gameplay, trying to stay alive, always under pressure from battle droids, or aliens is something that makes it great.

Go to hell Metacritic and Youtubers ..

This game is one of the last best Star Wars games, I really liked it and it's fun.

I think the golden age of Star Wars games ended with the Force unleashed.

This game is one of the last best Star Wars games, I really liked it and it's fun.

Yup, it's only getting worse, much like this type of content when I last had cable.

I would like to cancel YouTube now.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Why does the PS4 version have such a low score? Is there something wrong with it?

I have the original Xbox version still.

You do realize the metascore on the PS4 version is lower because less people reviewed it, right?

Aspyr were the developers who ported it to PS4 and Switch as an "enhanced port".

Switch - 70 metascore based on 15 reviews (5 positive, 9 mixed, 1 negative)

PS4 - 58 metascore based on 7 reviews (2 positive, 4 mixed, 1 negative)

LucasArts:

Xbox - 78 metascore based on 54 reviews (38 positive, 15 mixed, 1 negative)

PC - 78 metascore based on 34 reviews (23 positive, 11 mixed)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

You do realize the metascore on the PS4 version is lower because less people reviewed it, right?

Aspyr were the developers who ported it to PS4 and Switch as an "enhanced port".

Switch - 70 metascore based on 15 reviews (5 positive, 9 mixed, 1 negative)

PS4 - 58 metascore based on 7 reviews (2 positive, 4 mixed, 1 negative)

LucasArts:

Xbox - 78 metascore based on 54 reviews (38 positive, 15 mixed, 1 negative)

PC - 78 metascore based on 34 reviews (23 positive, 11 mixed)

Many do not appreciate it and judge in the first 20 minutes.

Clearly the game is for a 9. That which came out on Xbox which was where I first tried it.

Last edited:
Many do not appreciate it and judge in the first 20 minutes.

Clearly the game is for a 9. That which came out on Xbox which was where I first tried it.
Clearly you didn't read. I am talking about the PS4 and Switch versions that received lower metascores.

Maybe Aspyr didn't do the best job porting the game to Switch and PS4. OP just posted a very simple review with some gifs and a screenshot of one of the Metacritic pages for the game without a link (whereas I provided several links so you can better compare the different scores). Did the OP experience any performance issues? I guess it doesn't matter because you already made up your mind before reading any review.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Clearly you didn't read. I am talking about the PS4 and Switch versions that received lower metascores.
Yes I know and compare what you have put.

The fact that the game comes out on different consoles is not a reason to have a low rating, being that it is good ...

Except for the Nintendo switch version for the performance options and lack of multiplayer.

Still, it's a good game.

I don't know if I explain to you

Last edited:
Yes I know and compare what you have put.

The fact that the game comes out on different consoles is not a reason to have a low rating, being that it is good ...

Except for the Nintendo switch version for the performance options and lack of multiplayer.

Still, it's a good game.

I don't know if I explain to you
I agree that it's a good game on Xbox and PC; that is where you, myself, and most people recall their positive experience.

Top Bottom