• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Returnal | Play this game

Fredrik

I went back like a junkie, near the level 3 boss again, gone through all levels again. But there is hardly any good weapon drops. My weapon stats are level 10 but all I’m finding are a bunch of rot lobbers, which I don’t understand how to use well, so I only have a level 6 carbine found on level 2. Not too hopefull here. I still have a few rooms left to explore though.

Fbh

I just combed through each biome, only once did I not find it so I had to reset. All the others I found on the first attempt.

There's no new gameplay, no, except for another house sequence.

Maybe I just got unlucky.

Where do you find the items? In the triangle rooms or the square one?

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Third phase on level 1 boss was insanely difficult for me, I died so many times. Hard to give any real advices tbh, just keep trying I guess. If you still have some rooms unexplored, then I’d say try to clear those, might get a better weapon or item. The challenge room with the alien door is almost like a boss room in itself, might have some cool rewards though. Oh and shoot the statues, might give you more obotlites or spawn enemies. And don’t upload a new save unless you have full health before the boss, I did and never found any health upgrades and had to start over.

I’m getting close to end of level 3 now. Level 12 carbine with increasing fire rate, no idea if it’s good or bad at this point but it does the job during the level at least, boss might be a different story.
Yep third phase on first boss is where I'm dying, best I can do is get the health bar to half, I just can't hang in there long enough before dying, it all gets too much for me lol.

Last edited:

Amiga

I went back like a junkie, near the level 3 boss again, gone through all levels again. But there is hardly any good weapon drops. My weapon stats are level 10 but all I’m finding are a bunch of rot lobbers, which I don’t understand how to use well, so I only have a level 6 carbine found on level 2. Not too hopefull here. I still have a few rooms left to explore though.
rot lobbers are one of my favorites, one shot/hide and enemies die by poison. great for hit and run vs mini-bosses. once you get the explosion and splash perks the thing is is almost goat. doesn't have range though, you need that for the 3rd phase.

can't stress enough you need to take time to level up weapons. this is key to making the game easy. don't rush to the boss and grind a bit. don't use the save exploit until you maxed most guns. you can find new artifacts while you are at it.

Fredrik

rot lobbers are one of my favorites, one shot/hide and enemies die by poison. great for hit and run vs mini-bosses. once you get the explosion and splash perks the thing is is almost goat. doesn't have range though, you need that for the 3rd phase.

can't stress enough you need to take time to level up weapons. this is key to making the game easy. don't rush to the boss and grind a bit. don't use the save exploit until you maxed most guns. you can find new artifacts while you are at it.
Cool, didn’t know those weapons were useful. Just thought they felt super slow and swapped back to the carbine.

The weird thing about the weapon stats is that I’ve played through level 1 and 2 (minus the bosses) this time and still don’t have good weapons. I have tons of other items though, it’s like chest has had 80% items or something. It’s just a weird cycle, messed up randomizer.
What’s the recommended weapon level for level 3 boss?

Fredrik

long range is a must. Hollowseeker was my go to for this boss. It is easy to maintain fire and move with it than the Carbine. level it up every time you find it.
Cool I’ll try that 👍 Hollowseeker feels sooo nice with the haptics. I feel like it lacks in power compared to carbine though but maybe it makes up for it with the fire rate.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Just picked this up for $20 on the amazon warehouse deals used, that had always been my price point for this game, happy that I finally got it. Will jump in this week.

Cyborg

Just picked this up for $20 on the amazon warehouse deals used, that had always been my price point for this game, happy that I finally got it. Will jump in this week.
Why not upgrade to PS+ Extra and play it there with a lot of other different games? :) Anyway I hope you enjoy it, the game is epic.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Why not upgrade to PS+ Extra and play it there with a lot of other different games? :) Anyway I hope you enjoy it, the game is epic.
I thought about that, but my old plus expires next month and im leaning towards not renewing it, let alone upgrading it.

I own both consoles and I play FIFA/mp games mostly on xbox because thats where my buddies are so not really worth it.

Also I used to be a 100% digital player since the PS3 era but recently Ive come to appreciate discs :)

As for returnal, cant wait!! Bet it looks gorgeous on OLED.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe I just got unlucky.

Where do you find the items? In the triangle rooms or the square one?

I think they're usually in locations you need the various abilities you unlock to get to. But I honestly don't remember if they're in side rooms or along the main path. I just combed through each biome and found them without much trouble.

Reactions: Fbh
If you want to love this game even more, pretend that you’re playing PlayStation’s version of Metroid 😍😍

I need to play Dread dammit!!!
Not sure the point, it's nothing like Metroid. And I've played Dread. It was fine, but nowhere near as good as Returnal.

Dev1lXYZ

Time for me to jump back in. I haven't played this one for a while. Playing Rollerdrome gave me a Returnal itch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just finished this last night.

What a game! Diving into it again for the secret ending.

I did that, and now I'm doing the remaining trophies (not because I really care about trophies, but it's a good excuse to keep playing this fantastic game), and then I'm going back to tackle the tower (only took a few stabs at it so far). I just don't want it to end.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I did that, and now I'm doing the remaining trophies (not because I really care about trophies, but it's a good excuse to keep playing this fantastic game), and then I'm going back to tackle the tower (only took a few stabs at it so far). I just don't want it to end.
Yeah, have yet to do the tower as well, but may tackle that with a friend.

El Sueño

Guys, is there any shortcut from Overgrown Ruins to the subsecuent Biomes? Ive reach the Citadel but after dying in it, the journey back is too long? : S

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think the Tower doesn't support Coop, it's only the story which does.
Or at least it was at launch, not sure if they've updated it.
Ah, you're right. I'll just coop the main game then with him, now that I already beat it. I will tackle the tower after getting the items for the second ending.

Amiga

Cool I’ll try that 👍 Hollowseeker feels sooo nice with the haptics. I feel like it lacks in power compared to carbine though but maybe it makes up for it with the fire rate.
Should have 2 perk slots by biome 3. they increase DPS significantly. like serrated projectiles + waves

I ve been playing this non stop for about a month.

The biggest thing I feel you need to do is clear as much of the biomes as possible each time and more importantly unlock weapon traits.

Seriously unlocking the weapon traits is where the true meat of the game is. Some weapons can feel naff originally but with a couple of new traits can feel like the BFG.

Try not to worry about dying if you unlock a couple of new traits each time that's progress.

Try and avoid using favourite weapons unless you have a boss or something. Trust me every weapon can be a beast eventually and learning the playstyle of each new weapon is where all the fun is.

Try to save new ether for unlocking new items at the start some of them can be really useful as well.

Good luck feel free to ask anything else!

GymWolf

I ve been playing this non stop for about a month.

The biggest thing I feel you need to do is clear as much of the biomes as possible each time and more importantly unlock weapon traits.

Seriously unlocking the weapon traits is where the true meat of the game is. Some weapons can feel naff originally but with a couple of new traits can feel like the BFG.

Try not to worry about dying if you unlock a couple of new traits each time that's progress.

Try and avoid using favourite weapons unless you have a boss or something. Trust me every weapon can be a beast eventually and learning the playstyle of each new weapon is where all the fun is.

Try to save new ether for unlocking new items at the start some of them can be really useful as well.

Good luck feel free to ask anything else!
Yeah the traits were the only good thing progression wise between the runs, the only good roguelite aspect they made tbh.

Yeah the traits were the only good thing progression wise between the runs, the only good roguelite aspect they made tbh.
My first experience with a rogue like so I got nothing else to compare it to!

There were enough for me the late game weapons are pure insanity lol I can't get enough of them

Guys, is there any shortcut from Overgrown Ruins to the subsecuent Biomes? Ive reach the Citadel but after dying in it, the journey back is too long? : S
Honestly I think you will have a tougher time if you do this. At the very least try to get to the room with the fabrication devices and get more suit intergrity and the large health pack and the astronaut if you can.

Having as much health as possible and health consumables will give you the biggest chance of defeating the bosses

Fbh

Finished it again now getting the "secret ending".
Still not sure what the plot is about though, and reading up on it online it seems like they really left it up to interpretation which I've never been a fan of.

I'm probably going to come back to it later to give the tower some extra tries but overall it was a really fun game with awesome gameplay and a really nice aesthetic. I'm a bit disappointed by the plot though as I thought there would be more of a straightforward mystery, can't say I ever really got invested in the story

Also, not to derail the conversation, but I think this is an example of why charging $70 for all games might not be a good idea. I think this game would have done better at $40 since it has a more niche appeal and neither the production values nor amount of content felt on par with other AAA stuff.

I think they're usually in locations you need the various abilities you unlock to get to. But I honestly don't remember if they're in side rooms or along the main path. I just combed through each biome and found them without much trouble.

Got them and got the "true ending".
Not sure what happened on my first attempt but the second time around I actually got them all in a single run just like you.
They were in a combination of main rooms and optional ones and, like you said, always in rooms or locations that need some of unlikable abilities (specially the last one).

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I never picked this up at release, had other stuff to play I guess. Also wasn't sure if a roguelite third person shooter would really be my thing. But now with PS+ Extra I decided to give it a go, and I'm absolutely hooked.

I will say it started out a bit slow for me, I was making very little progress during the first few hours and almost gave up on the game. It didn't feel like I was achieving much of anything, since so little carries across between runs (until you beat a boss as least), and it was frustrating to lose what felt like a good run with a lot of time invested into it, over and over again. But slowly but surely it started clicking, and I started "getting it". Once I finally beat that first boss it felt so good, much like when you finally get past something that at first felt impossible in a Souls game. My frustration was turning into addiction, and the more I played the more I wanted to play.

I'm now, I believe, pretty close to the end of the game, and I feel pretty confident in saying it's my game of the generation so far. The gameplay is just top notch, once it clicks it's immensely fun and satisfying. And I absolutely love the creepy alien horror vibe that permeates the entire game. I was really surprised by how good the story is too, they've really done something interesting (and often terrifying) with the whole "endless cycle" thing. Can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

But yeah, pretty good game, try it maybe, I don't know.
I’m glad you posted this because my nephew bought this for me physical copy (I’ve been all digital since ps360). I’m having the same problem as far as it starting slow. I did give up I admit, it didn’t “grasp” me so I let it go. I need to pick it back up and give it some time.

Amiga

Yeah that was awesome. The boss was too easy though, beat it at the first try. Level 3 boss was great too, phase 3 was nuts with the grapple frenzy. At times this game is so so sooo good.
Difficulty is downhill after the citadel. now you have 3 trait slots unlocked on weapons, advanced artifacts, 3 item slots and you are more experienced.

unlock the (Pyroshell Caster with Seeking flares+Simmering explosion) or (Thermogenic Launcher with Full-Auto+Replicating Hits+Thermite Rockets) or (Hollowseeker with Portal Beam+Portal Turret) and you are pretty much done.

Fredrik

Difficulty is downhill after the citadel. now you have 3 trait slots unlocked on weapons, advanced artifacts, 3 item slots and you are more experienced.

unlock the (Pyroshell Caster with Seeking flares+Simmering explosion) or (Thermogenic Launcher with Full-Auto+Replicating Hits+Thermite Rockets) or (Hollowseeker with Portal Beam+Portal Turret) and you are pretty much done.
Thanks for the advices 🤝

Level 5 is hard so far but I agree on level 4, it was a lot easier than level 3.

Btw I used rot lobber a lot during level 4, turned out it was pretty awesome as you said earlier. I found one with level 17 stats and with nearly maxed out area effect, enemies slowly died from one shot.

Found a new weapon which fired spikes with electricity in between. Is it something worth experiencing with? Felt really weird to use but so did the rot lobber.

Last edited:

Amiga

Found a new weapon which fired spikes with electricity in between. Is it something worth experiencing with? Felt really weird to use but so did the rot lobber.

Driver is great. it's a trap weapon, unlock the pylon web and it's OP (if you use it right). like the lobber it's great for hit and runs.

And you will need fast DPS weapons for the water level. mini bosses can end you suddenly and hit you with multiple instant malfunctions .

Fredrik

Driver is great. it's a trap weapon, unlock the pylon web and it's OP (if you use it right). like the lobber it's great for hit and runs.

And you will need fast DPS weapons for the water level. mini bosses can end you suddenly and hit you with multiple instant malfunctions .
Cool will play around with that 👍

What’s your suggestion for the ice level?

Thanks for the advices 🤝

Level 5 is hard so far but I agree on level 4, it was a lot easier than level 3.

Btw I used rot lobber a lot during level 4, turned out it was pretty awesome as you said earlier. I found one with level 17 stats and with nearly maxed out area effect, enemies slowly died from one shot.

Yes! The pylon is awesome much like the lobbed you can cause damage then run and hide and continue to do damage

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yep, the game definitely gets much easier after you get past the first few biomes. I don't think any boss after the 3rd one required more than a few tries for me. The final boss I beat easily on the first try once I reached him.

Every weapon with the right upgrades can get pretty powerful you just need to experiment and work out there playstyle or find the right weapon traits.

I didn't really like the pyroshell caster at first (grenade laucher) but once I unlocked seeking flares it's now the best weapon for clearing out large group of enemies.

It's why I stopped caring about dying. Death is an opportunity to learn a new weapon trait or try a new weapon.

If your ever struggling with a boss leech rounds basically turn the boss into a giant Health potion!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Every weapon with the right upgrades can get pretty powerful you just need to experiment and work out there playstyle or find the right weapon traits.

I didn't really like the pyroshell caster at first (grenade laucher) but once I unlocked seeking flares it's now the best weapon for clearing out large group of enemies.

It's why I stopped caring about dying. Death is an opportunity to learn a new weapon trait or try a new weapon.

If your ever struggling with a boss leech rounds basically turn the boss into a giant Health potion!
Yep, many weapons seem shit when you first get them, but then after a few upgrades they're brilliant.

[Sigma]

I haven't touched the game since I almost bust the clock in the tower (was at 97 million) and the lights went out at my house and it didn't save
3Ckf6mf.gif
. I was crying inside. I have not booted up the game since then out of disgust lol.

Amiga

• with the save trick probably the easiest level, there is no boss, it's a hub are that splits into 3.
  • one path is a combat room with multiple waves. take a peak at the threshold, if it's the combat room go back and save it for last when you are buffed.
  • other 2 paths have strong mini bosses, they are in rooms where they drop you down and the door you came from becomes unreachable. if you open a door and you are on a high ledge, go back and save.
  • generally most of the trouble in biome 5 is from the flying drones. you will need to know the layout and find cover and chokepoints and use the hookshot a lot to escape trouble.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The beatiful thing about Returnal is when you go from being hunted to become the hunter. When you have no fear of entering the random generated rooms, cause you've mastered the game.
Yep that is awesome, I remember that switch running and gunning everywhere , not always sure where I'd land after a jump but once you get the flow of the game and the architecture of the room there's often a way to recover from a jump.
FrayedCircularCattle-size_restricted.gif

Fredrik

• with the save trick probably the easiest level, there is no boss, it's a hub are that splits into 3.
  • one path is a combat room with multiple waves. take a peak at the threshold, if it's the combat room go back and save it for last when you are buffed.
  • other 2 paths have strong mini bosses, they are in rooms where they drop you down and the door you came from becomes unreachable. if you open a door and you are on a high ledge, go back and save.
  • generally most of the trouble in biome 5 is from the flying drones. you will need to know the layout and find cover and chokepoints and use the hookshot a lot to escape trouble.
You really know the game inside out, just read this post after clearing the ice level, It’s a perfect summary 👏

I used the pylon for almost the whole level, worked incredibly well.

I swapped to the carbine when I went down into the water level. Works great for the octopus enemies. But a weird problem has arrived, I have two locked blue doors and no key, and I don’t see anywhere else to go.

Last edited:
You really know the game inside out, just read this post after clearing the ice level, It’s a perfect summary 👏

I used the pylon for almost the whole level, worked incredibly well.

I swapped to the carbine when I went down into the water level. Works great for the octopus enemies. But a weird problem has arrived, I have two locked blue doors and no key, and I don’t see anywhere else to go.
Hmm there should be a door somewhere. Maybe there's a ledge ypu can drop down? Some of rooms have multiple layers that you don't always see.

You definitely don't need to get through atrophian key doors

Amiga

- There is a final upgrade that reveals floating light orbs that you shoot to activate hidden platforms.
- navigation is tricky here, go to the menu and rotate the map if you need to.
- the shielded octopus that spawns enemies is where you can farm weapon traits. leave them alive and just kill the smaller enemies to level up all the weapons you find.

Amiga

Trying to platinum this game is pretty annoying. Those damn ciphers.
- turn off online connectivity, this will make rare rooms appear more often. don't bother with the locked rooms.
- use the save trick before opening a portal to another biome. the layout is only set after you open/go through. this will save you some time.
- if you get a cipher mentally checkoff the room, it will not have another and just sprint by next time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
- turn off online connectivity, this will make rare rooms appear more often. don't bother with the locked rooms.
- use the save trick before opening a portal to another biome. the layout is only set after you open/go through. this will save you some time.
- if you get a cipher mentally checkoff the room, it will not have another and just sprint by next time.

I read about the going offline thing, but why would that make a difference? Sounds super weird lol.

And the ciphers CAN be in side rooms right, just not locked ones? Also not behind yellow barriers?

Top Bottom