• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Returnal | Play this game

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm playing through the game now for the first time. The haptics and the sound are incredible! Feels so good to play and I'm now a believer in 3D audio, because I can exactly pinpoint where the audio cue is from (even above or below).
The action is very good, game plays fantastic and the enemies are fun to fight most of the time.

The only big negative for me is that the items and upgrades feel a bit too incremental. You never really find anything real crazy, it's all '5% more damage' or 'enemies drop some more things maybe'. Which makes every run feel a bit too much like the last one.
I want some more highs and lows. Like some real shitty runs and then one where you find 2/3 lucky items that makes you slay everything and everyone until you fall into a pit by your own fault!

The right combination of those small upgrades can make a big difference though.

Fredrik

You really missed out then. I can't remember what revision of Action Replay I had (it was MK $SOMETHING, there were many), and it's been such a long time that I don't remember the exact terms used, but basically: say you have three lives in a game. You freeze the game/enter the cartridge menu, and input you have three lives. The cartridge then scans all memory addresses containing a value of "3". Then continue to play the game until you lose a life, go into the cartridge menu again - then you can scan those memory addresses that previously contained "3" and see if one now has a value of "2". And if such location is found, the cartridge would "freeze" that memory location, so even if the value would change, the cartridge would swap in the "frozen" value.

This sounds like something that couldn't possibly work, but remarkably it did more often than not. "Benefit" of having only 64kB of memory I guess. But that's enough for the offtopic, thumbs up for Returnal from me as well.
Yeah I know they were great, it’s kinda wild what they could do back then. I still have a Action Replay cartridge for the Amiga which for real have a knob you can twist to control the game speed and make it run in slowmotion.
On topic, I need all of these cartridges to enjoy Returnal lol

engstra

Also, regardless of however you try and spin it, the malignancy mechanic is appalling.

You just end up ignoring it as the potential benefits are massively outweighed by the negatives. Really bad game design to put a lot of fun stuff behind a gate that players will choose to ignore.
I don't agree with that at all. Was so many different variants to mix and match with. Except for the dash cooldown increases basically all other malignancies were very manageable which for me meant it paid off to tack them on.

engstra

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's the only game I've played on the ps5 that made me go this is a next-gen experience. Such smooth and satisfying gameplay with the best implementation of the dualsense so far!
Very tempted to go back to it now and try the tower, now that I'm done with Elden Ring.

tommib

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's the only game I've played on the ps5 that made me go this is a next-gen experience. Such smooth and satisfying gameplay with the best implementation of the dualsense so far!
Very tempted to go back to it now and try the tower, now that I'm done with Elden Ring.
I’ve said the same. Personally it’s the only next-gen experience. The way the 3D map twists itself with every run and Selene’s fastness traversing those same maps with the Jackson Pollock particle effects constantly filing up the screen, make the game singular and absolutely next-gen. Also, that crunchy maximal audio-design.

Everything’s so fast and physical. State-of-the-art stuff. I’ll never get tired of praising this game because more than a year after, it’s still untouched in its “futuristic” features.

Can you still do that save trick? I thought they removed that posibility when they made it possible to pause a cycle.
Yep, still able to do it. Just finished it about a month ago and didn't use it till getting getting sick of these two pita mini-bosses on the way there. Hollowseeker with portal traits is a hell of a lot of fun.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Isn't the game just randomly selecting different pre-made rooms behind each door tho? Its what a lot of roguelites do.

Yep, although which doors in each "room" exist at all is also random, so it does feel pretty dynamic. But yes, each room is premade, so you start knowing each one after a while. Which is also part of getting better at the game, because you start learning how you need to deal with each one.

And it's also not completely random, there is an order to the layout, certain biomes lead you further and further up or down, others will always have a "hub room" with spokes going out from it, etc. So each biome does feel pretty unique, not just in how they look but how you progress through them.

Last edited:

edbrat

Returnal feels so good it has ruined other games for me, got the plat, spent hours in the Tower of Sisyphus and I still keep playing. Never got the Dreadbound until ToS, man that thing with lvl 3 Expanding and Exploding shards is just so damn fun, pyroshell with seeking flares and the other rocket launcher thing with replicating hits and full auto, absolutely godly they feel so so good to use.

I'll make a fresh file and start from scratch at some point. Easily game of the gen for me, Housemarque are gods.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Returnal feels so good it has ruined other games for me, got the plat, spent hours in the Tower of Sisyphus and I still keep playing. Never got the Dreadbound until ToS, man that thing with lvl 3 Expanding and Exploding shards is just so damn fun, pyroshell with seeking flares and the other rocket launcher thing with replicating hits and full auto, absolutely godly they feel so so good to use.

I'll make a fresh file and start from scratch at some point. Easily game of the gen for me, Housemarque are gods.

How did you not get it until then? I thought you were guaranteed that weapon in the biome it unlocks.

Guilty_AI

Yep, although which doors in each "room" exist at all is also random, so it does feel pretty dynamic. But yes, each room is premade, so you start knowing each one after a while. Which is also part of getting better at the game, because you start learning how you need to deal with each one.
I don't think this is necessarely a good thing though, i always thought the objective of the random generation in rogueli(k/t)e games was to make sure you truly need to get better at the game rather than rely on memorisation (much like what happens in dark souls games). Are the types of enemies, amount and placement different for each particular room on a different run, or they'll always be the same for each room on each particular run? Is item placement also randomized or are they always in the same spots for each room?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think this is necessarely a good thing though, i always thought the objective of the random generation in rogueli(k/t)e games was to make sure you truly need to get better at the game rather than rely on memorisation. Are the types of enemies, amount and placement different for each particular room on a different run or they'll always be the same for each room in each particular run? Is item placement also randomized or are they always in the same spots for each room?

Enemies and items are random in each room every run, so you can't memorize everything Souls-style. But certain rooms will always contain a certain amount of certain enemy types (but they won't spawn the same way every time), and some locations will always have a chest (but with a random item), etc. So you can largely anticipate what you will face in a certain room, but not exactly how it will play out. And there are also exceptions where a room might or might not spawn enemies at all, etc.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yep, still able to do it. Just finished it about a month ago and didn't use it till getting getting sick of these two pita mini-bosses on the way there. Hollowseeker with portal traits is a hell of a lot of fun.
How do you do it? I’ll give it another go tonight if it’s not too much hassle.

SOME-MIST

I've been patiently waiting for it to release on PC. as someone who's most played game in 2017 was nex machina (bought on ps4/pc and 2 more copies to give away to friends) I would have been all over it day one. unfortunately it's one of the few ps5 games I want and I have a rule that I can't buy a console unless it has 5 exclusives that I deem must haves :O

housemarque really deserves the attention they're getting for returnal and it's sick to see so many people enjoying it

Fredrik

This is what I used.

Wut that’s super easy, you just manually save to the cloud and then download from the cloud again? This changes everything. It’s literally a save state. Wow.
Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Rivet

Played half of it on release. It's good overall but the roguelite elements are completely underbaked compared to some modern bangers like Hades or Isaac. I barely felt like any of my runs were different, the parasites or whatever they were called didn't do enough to switch up the core gameplay and I always defaulted to the same couple of guns, and I saw the same prefab rooms over and over and over. Compare that to something like Rogue Legacy 2 this year and it's just not close, even if the core gameplay is super polished.

I'm gonna wait until it's cheap on PC and give it a whirl with keyboard + mouse, that might be interesting.

That's because nobody understands how the progression works.

The progression lies in the items you buy with ether in the machine in the first room, just besides the door.

When you buy the item, sure you get it now for your run, but it also unlocks as a retrievable random object in the world for every future run. It makes a world of difference over time.

It makes the game a lot easier after dying a lot, because the ether machine items are more and more powerful.

To be fair, it's not well explained, so everybody thinks there's no progression or they don't use their ether in the first room, which is a huge mistake.

Progression is actually fast if you die a lot and buy an item In 1st room with ether after each death.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The progression lies in the items you buy with ether in the machine in the first room, just besides the door.

When you buy the item, sure you get it now for your run, but it also unlocks as a retrievable random object in the world for every future run. It makes a world of difference over time.

It makes the game a lot easier after dying a lot, because the ether machine items are more and more powerful.

To be fair, it's not well explained, so everybody thinks there's no progression or they don't use their ether in the first room, which is a huge mistake.

Progression is actually fast if you die a lot and buy an item In 1st room with ether after each death.
I’ve used that machine a lot in desperate attempts to get something that could help me on the boss. Haven’t seen anything special pop up in the level. Is it coming in the alien lock room? I don’t always do that room because I’m never sure I’ll survive…

Last edited:
Still my game of the generation. Better than anything I've played for the past decade. I will never delete it from my PS5 and if it doesn't run on PS6, I'll keep the PS5 just for that game.

James Franco GIF
Does this generation even have 5 standout games for Returnal to compete with?

EDIT: you mean games released post-PS5/Xbox S-X. I feel like a more reasonable comparison would be among other generational exclusives.

Last edited:

Rivet

I’ve used that machine a lot in desperate attempts to get something that could help me on the boss. Haven’t seen anything special pop up in the level. Is it coming in the alien lock room? I don’t always do that room because I’m never sure I’ll survive…

The machine is just before the first door, when you go out of your ship. It's true that not all items / artifacts are useful, but at some point it gets really better so keep on buying items there with ether, once after each run.

Then they may pop or not pop in any future run, in any place, randomly. I thought after a while you unlocked so many good items / artifacts that runs get easier.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The machine is just before the first door, when you go out of your ship. It's true that not all items / artifacts are useful, but at some point it gets really better so keep on buying items there with ether, once after each run.

Then they may pop or not pop in any future run, in any place, randomly. I thought after a while you unlocked so many good items / artifacts that runs get easier.
Cool okay I’ll keep trying then, I usually save the ether for a respawn but better progression would definitely be a better usage.

What about the malignant chests and items? I got the advice earlier to not use that on level 1. What about on level 2?

Rivet

Cool okay I’ll keep trying then, I usually save the ether for a respawn but better progression would definitely be a better usage.

What about the malignant chests and items? I got the advice earlier to not use that on level 1. What about on level 2?

I think the advice is good. I wouldn't use them on level 2 or 3 either. Still, in some cases it may be worth trying, especially when you got artifacts giving you bonuses for doing that, or items which remove malignancy obviously.

Move and dash constantly, switching on autorun is a must too. In locked rooms with tons of monsters, the better strategy in my opinion is just rushing monsters and meleeing them. Melee is powerful and fast. Everywhere else I keep some distance (you can't really do that in those locked rooms though, that's why my strategy there is different).

In the later levels, I tried to stay even further away and use that gun that makes red lines and DoTs. It's called the Electropylon driver I think. Extremely efficient when upgraded. And very secure because it kills while you're away from the monsters.

I suck at action games and I finished that one, so I think its difficulty is okay. But you have to use the good strategy and good artifacts. I loved this game.

The biggest stumbling block for me - like for most people according to GAF poll - was level 3 (3rd biome) with the homing missile ships. Hide somewhere when they start flying towards you or you're dead. Then it went relatively well with the electropylon driver and keeping some distance.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Started it last night and I’m really liking it but I really suck.

I got to the first boss and got through the first bar easy peasy. Then second bar just destroyed me in seconds.

Only like 2 upgrades so far. Any tips?

SkylineRKR

Started it last night and I’m really liking it but I really suck.

I got to the first boss and got through the first bar easy peasy. Then second bar just destroyed me in seconds.

Only like 2 upgrades so far. Any tips?

First scout the entire map before you attempt the boss. Keep whatever weapon you find until you unlock its perks and move on. Some perks are broken. Dying doesn't matter, your weapons growth is persistent.

Prioritize defense upgrades and health. Then enhanced blade for those yellow rooms. The rest isn't required but helps making it easier. Know what kind of malfunctions you do not want, never pick up slower dash cooldown or lose health on pick up (which breaks you eventually, but also resets adrenaline). If you learn the enemies you will eventually clear the complete Biome and then you're likely powerful enough to destroy the boss easily. If you have a good weapon, consider doing a survival room because it hands out good weapons and upgrades.

Also, and this is personal, consider putting dash and fire both on shoulder buttons. This was an eye opener for me. Increase the crosshair and absolutely set the game to auto run as there is no reason to not run at all times. Learn the overload during weapon reload.

Fredrik

Just reached level 2 boss. Yikes. I’m getting Elden Beast vibes here, the camera is messing up the fight more than the actual boss and it’s attacks.

I have a save state though so I’ll keep trying.

After death I went back and played for a bit at the start, got a taste of some new items from the machine Rivet Rivet talked about. Nice. Then all of a sudden the house was open again and I got lots of new story bits.

I think I’ll grind some story stuff and items after the level 2 boss. Seems like you can really miss out when using save states.

Still don’t understand how people could finish this before the save state was known. It’s absolutely brutal to die at the level 2 boss and then be back at the crashsite on level 1. It’s like 3 hours of playtime for another attempt unless you just fast forward and run through the portal with shit weapons.

With save states the frustration is mostly gone though. I’m actually… for real… having fun. 👍
They should’ve had this implemented right from the start without using a cloud hack.

SkylineRKR

Just reached level 2 boss. Yikes. I’m getting Elden Beast vibes here, the camera is messing up the fight more than the actual boss and it’s attacks.

After death I went back and played for a bit at the start, got a taste of some new items from the machine Rivet Rivet talked about. Nice. Then all of a sudden the house was open again and I got lots of new story bits.

I think I’ll grind some story stuff and items after the level 2 boss. Seems like you can really miss out when using save states.

Still don’t understand how people could finish this before the save state was known. It’s absolutely brutal to die at the level 2 boss and then be back at the crashsite on level 1. It’s like 3 hours of playtime for another attempt unless you just fast forward and run through the portal with shit weapons.

With save states the frustration is mostly gone though. I’m actually… for real… having fun. 👍
They should’ve had this implemented right from the start without using a cloud hack.

I beat it well before the save state but it took me dozens of attempts.

The first runs are generally pre baked in terms of encounters and rooms. You will eventually get used to all mechanics, get better, have more weapon perks and find something thats really powerful like a Hollowseeker with portal or a full auto rocket launcher or something. And yes, the best course of action after dying is grinding Biome 1 yet again since you want to be stacked if you seriously want to beat 3. Doing Biome 2 again isn't entirely required but if will power you up even further. Probably max you out. I could literally facetank the boss of Biome 3 with a pistol, lol. But you will get better anyway.

But once I beat it, I did so again and again. My final boss head to head is something like 7-0. And my first clear wasn't even with an OP build. I've had more OP runs that failed because of greed, picking up too many malfunctions etc.

Some weapons are absolutely OP. If for example you find a level 12 Carbine with rising pitch+ leech rounds, just don't trade it in ever. You will probably beat the first 3 biomes with it if you pick up decent health and defense. Hollowseeker with portal, waves and serrated is also OP and in fact I beat the final boss with a level 18 ish version of this one. I tried a level 30 weapon briefly, found it shit and picked up that old seeker again. Rocket launcher with full auto, repeated and tail fire or something is just so broken that you can barely lose. Especially if you manage to find shield disruptor ability (this means safe distance for days).

Last edited:

If they make a normal, linear game like this, it will be a system seller for me.

Fredrik

If they make a normal, linear game like this, it will be a system seller for me.
Yeah a non-roguelike Returnal would be high up on my top list. The gameplay, the controls, even exploration, is all great. The whole thing just sink when you lay a huge blanket of frustration on top of it all, it just kill the fun for me.

With save state, using the cloud save trick, I have to backpedal on my previous hating though, I’m currently enjoying it a lot.

I beat it well before the save state but it took me dozens of attempts.

The first runs are generally pre baked in terms of encounters and rooms. You will eventually get used to all mechanics, get better, have more weapon perks and find something thats really powerful like a Hollowseeker with portal or a full auto rocket launcher or something. And yes, the best course of action after dying is grinding Biome 1 yet again since you want to be stacked if you seriously want to beat 3. Doing Biome 2 again isn't entirely required but if will power you up even further. Probably max you out. I could literally facetank the boss of Biome 3 with a pistol, lol. But you will get better anyway.

But once I beat it, I did so again and again. My final boss head to head is something like 7-0. And my first clear wasn't even with an OP build. I've had more OP runs that failed because of greed, picking up too many malfunctions etc.

Some weapons are absolutely OP. If for example you find a level 12 Carbine with rising pitch+ leech rounds, just don't trade it in ever. You will probably beat the first 3 biomes with it if you pick up decent health and defense. Hollowseeker with portal, waves and serrated is also OP and in fact I beat the final boss with a level 18 ish version of this one. I tried a level 30 weapon briefly, found it shit and picked up that old seeker again. Rocket launcher with full auto, repeated and tail fire or something is just so broken that you can barely lose. Especially if you manage to find shield disruptor ability (this means safe distance for days).
I’m more impressed by this than if anyone would speed run Elden Ring in a couple hours.
I think I’m at 14 hours now, and only at the level 2 boss (third phase is nuts!). It’s quite literally one of the hardest games I’ve played. I guess Ikaruga is more difficult. And Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga.

I think I had that carbine with bullets increasing in speed. Dropped it… 😳

saintjules

It is one of the best games and experiences i ever had, the sound design, the music the whole alien feeling to it was something else, the game peaked on the 4th Biome it was an unmatched experience.

However i think i dont have the patience to a rogue-like games if the sequel is a rogue-like i will not try it

Confusing comment lol. You said best game and experience, but if there was a sequel you wouldn't play it?

SkylineRKR

Yeah a non-roguelike Returnal would be high up on my top list. The gameplay, the controls, even exploration, is all great. The whole thing just sink when you lay a huge blanket of frustration on top of it all, it just kill the fun for me.

With save state, using the cloud save trick, I have to backpedal on my previous hating though, I’m currently enjoying it a lot.

I’m more impressed by this than if anyone would speed run Elden Ring in a couple hours.
I think I’m at 14 hours now, and only at the level 2 boss (third phase is nuts!). It’s quite literally one of the hardest games I’ve played. I guess Ikaruga is more difficult. And Shadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga.

I think I had that carbine with bullets increasing in speed. Dropped it… 😳

If you have a revive item, some health packs and a good weapon. And generally rinsed 1 and 2 as complete as you can at that point, Boss 2 isn't really that tough.

I hated the roguelike antics at first but trust me it keeps the game infinitely replayable. And the free DLC is awesome as fuck too.

Trogdor1123

Well, I cleared out most of the level and then did coop to beat the boss. Took us 2 tries but we got it. Frankly, they did most of the work but I tried to help!

Does the shotgun (snap maw or something) suck or is it just the user?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I was skipping that on most runs because I wanted to save my ether for the reconstructors, and didn't realize 30 was the max. Once I did realize that I started buying more of those starter items.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I cleared out most of the level and then did coop to beat the boss. Took us 2 tries but we got it. Frankly, they did most of the work but I tried to help!

Does the shotgun (snap maw or something) suck or is it just the user?

I've finished the game now (well, kinda, I'm not at 100% completion), and I pretty much never used that. Just too slow with bad range.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I started not that long ago and have now beaten it (as in beaten all the bosses) with no save scumming, so... 🙂

Yeah, starting over with "nothing" did get frustrating at times, but that happened less and less the further I got. The further you get, the easier and faster it becomes to clear out the earlier areas to power yourself up for the next one. And it's a very rewarding feeling to finally beat that next boss after carefully preparing for it, I wouldn't want to miss out on that.

So no, I don't agree they should have implemented saves you can just reload if you fail, that's not the kind of game they wanted to make.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I've finished the game now (well, kinda, I'm not at 100% completion), and I pretty much never used that. Just too slow with bad range.
Ok, so it wasn’t just me. I like the carbine right now.

So what exactly actually carries over run to run? I thought proficiencies did but it looks like not?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, so it wasn’t just me. I like the carbine right now.

So what exactly actually carries over run to run? I thought proficiencies did but it looks like not?

New items, weapons, and weapon upgrades are unlocked so you can find them again. New suit abilities are the only permanent unlocks you will always have, plus some key items and ether (until you spend it). Stats, proficiency, etc, reset every run.

Last edited:

HF2014

Bloodborne fans should give this game a chance. Its BB Chalice dungeons with story in it and futuristic settings. My game of the year, and got to the real ending yesterday! 🥳.

This freakin Tower tho, not sure i will see the end of it haha.

Barrico82

Banned
Confusing comment lol. You said best game and experience, but if there was a sequel you wouldn't play it?

Lol.. i know it sounds weird but
I never played a rouge like game before, Returnal was my first and it will be my last.

It is too exhausting, it tested my patience up to the max, i couldn't leave it cause i bought it day one.

I enjoyed it thoroughly but to repeat such experience, no .. I can't

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Agreed, its a great game, played it for a bit with Ps+ extra, will eventually get it again.

Aenima

Finally gave it a try recently after upgrading for the PS+ Extra, and this is probably the best 3rd person shooter i ever played. The gameplay is just super satisfying. My problem with the game, is the same problem with all the rogue-like games, they are extremely punishing once u die, and the progression carried over is very very minimal.

After reaching the 3rd boss for the 2nd time and dying during the fight, i just gave up, and the game is now in standby while i enjoy other games. Game is still installed for the amazing shooting gameplay alone. I might go back to it once i gain more patience for the multiple runs with RNG mechanic.

tommib

Finally gave it a try recently after upgrading for the PS+ Extra, and this is probably the best 3rd person shooter i ever played. The gameplay is just super satisfying. My problem with the game, is the same problem with all the rogue-like games, they are extremely punishing once u die, and the progression carried over is very very minimal.

After reaching the 3rd boss for the 2nd time and dying during the fight, i just gave up, and the game is now in standby while i enjoy other games. Game is still installed for the amazing shooting gameplay alone. I might go back to it once i gain more patience for the multiple runs with RNG mechanic.
3rd boss is kind of easy. At least for me. Keep using the grapple hook iframes. I was flying from platform to platform and getting as close as possible to the boss.

Just remembered what a spectacle that boss is. What I can’t remember is what gun is the best gun against Nemesis.

Aenima

3rd boss is kind of easy. At least for me. Keep using the grapple hook iframes. I was flying from platform to platform and getting as close as possible to the boss.

Just remembered what a spectacle that boss is. What I can’t remember is what gun is the best gun against Nemesis.
My 1st time died in the 2nd fase, my health was very low when i entered the boss. 2nd time reached the 3rd fase and got confused without knowing what to do and tried to kill the boss from far from a small platform, but was a bad idea, and once i figured i had to get to the big platform close to the boss i was already dead and back to the 1st biome. Also the 2nd time the checkpoint did not spawned in any of the rooms, this is also something i dislike about the game, the RNG elements. Sometimes i do amazing runs wihtout even taking damage but thanks to RNG, things can go really bad, like not being able to do a decent upgrade to the weapon.

Already droped the game, rogue-likes are not for me. The shooting gameplay is amazing and very adicting, but having to do a new 2 hour run to reach the 3rd boss well equiped just because i died. No thanks. Especially when the RNG can fuck things up and those 2 hours turn into a nothingburger that send u back to the beginning with zero progress made.

Might get back to it again in the future if i ever get patience for it, but right now im more interested in enjoying the most games i can from the PS+ Extra catalog.

Amiga

The only big negative for me is that the items and upgrades feel a bit too incremental. You never really find anything real crazy, it's all '5% more damage'

Stacked with weapon perks 5% can make you one shot enemies, that makes you clear rooms faster and stay safe to collect more oboloites and increase integrity. my personal strategy is to always go for consistent perks like weapon damage/protection/increase recovery and ignore alt-fire boosters.

You get powerful faster in tower way beyond the main game.

Top Bottom