• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 6

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've been marathoning on previous RE games, namely Resident Evil 5 (PS4) and Resident Evil: Revelations HD (PS4), and this is the last game in my list.

I've got to say, this game feels more like a CoD than a "modern RE game" for me except for Leon's parts. Frankly compared to the other 2, faults and all, this game is probably the lowest in the "modern RE approach" due to it being even less of a horror game than RE5 and the environments that aren't Leon's scenario are boring. Plus the I'm not a fan of how you switch weapons and items.

I previously didn't like RE5 as much but that changed after replaying it. This, unfortunately, I still do not like as much until now. I do plan on getting the platinum though.

Caffeine

Ye the game is kinda of an acquired taste, It's definitely not like the others and way more action. so fans of action love it I think its pretty fun for a co-op game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its easily one of the best TPS ever made, behind Vanquish only.

Tons of awesome tricks and hidden moves. Tons of great animations. And its got 4 full campaigns and mercenaries. Its one of the best in the series. 7 detailed characters with unique moves. Loved it.

I actually like the story too. Having terrorist groups start utilizing bioweapons and mutations in active war zones is awesome, and kind of the natural conclusion to a world with Umbrella and S.T.A.R.S. Imagine ISIS getting black market bioweapons basically. Even the terrorist attacks are neat, as they hit one of the most populated places on Earth - China. All the China stuff was great. First Asian setting for the series.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Sherry and Jake's game was awesome and there were some cool ideas in terms of the online but the rest of game is a goddamn mess. The core mechanics are great but the game makes no attempt to actually get you to use them it so most people will never notice. It's like the complete opposite of The Wonderful 101.

I will say it does have the best incarnation of Leon since the original RE2 though.

Neff

As always, I profess my undying love for RE6.

The core mechanics are great but the game makes no attempt to actually get you to use them it so most people will never notice.

On higher difficulties the mechanics become incredibly useful. When you're being attacked on all sides and one good monster punch can take your full health bar all the way down to zero or dying status, it's nice to have evasive/defensive options. They're kind of superfluous on the default difficulty and in Mercs, though.

KàIRóS

One of the most underrated games of all time, I hope you have a good time with it and if you can experience co op with a friend go for it, you'll both have a damn good time punching, kicking and shooting zombies.

Tip: don't use guns with jake.

3Uunsex.gif

nkarafo

I got the game for 3 euros on XBOX360. I played a couple of hours and thought i wasted too much time and money on it. Sold it back for 5 euros though so in the end i got paid a tiny bit for my time.

Shifty

Even all these years later, RE6 is a critically misunderstood game.

As others have said, as an action TPS the gunplay is godly, and up there as the best shooter of its generation. The problem is that it doesn't teach you any of its mechanics, so unless you stumble across this handy guide (or find another one yourself) it's going to be a frustrating experience:

The campaigns themselves are trash though, imo. It's all a little bit too Michael Bay, which fits with the over-the-top gameplay style but clashes super hard with the Resident Evil brand. Shoulda been its own 'The Mercenaries' spinoff or something.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I don't see very well like CoD, but kinda like Gears.. But it's a fun hame overral. Can't see a Resident Evil, that's for sure, but it's really fun those exaggerated punches

Meted

to all the RE 6 defenders (i like parts of it) do you at least agree that the majority of the campaigns are horrible? Chris and jake having some of the worst set piece stuff (snowmobile, car chase, bike chase) and a lot of really bad boss fights

RSB

Banned
I remember when the RE6 demo first came out. I absolutely hated it. Months later, when I finally picked it up (after the FOV and auto QTE patch was released) I ended up loving it, and now it's my favorite game of its kind (even above Vanquish)

The game is far from perfect, that's for sure (lots of dumb design decisions, it lacks focus, and feels almost schizophrenic at times) but the gameplay is insanely fun (it took me a good while to "git gud" though) and I also love how fucking ridiculous the campaign gets at times, which is hilarious considering how serious the tone is most of the time.

Also, my campaign ranking:

Chris > Jake > Ada > Leon

Chris is the best for me because it's the only campaign that fully embraces what RE6 really is (a pure action game) Jake's campaign is also really fun, but it has the worst level in the game (chapter 2) Ada's campaign is fine, but feels a bit gimmicky at times. Leon's campaign has its moments, but it is kind of weak in comparison to the rest, mostly because you only fight zombies (Javo >>> Zombies) and the final boss has way too many phases.

Personally, I would love Capcom to make another game with a more polished version of RE6's gameplay mechanics, even if it was just a lower budget title (Revelations 3?) or even a new stand alone Mercenaries game.

Elcid

Banned
I've been marathoning on previous RE games, namely Resident Evil 5 (PS4) and Resident Evil: Revelations HD (PS4), and this is the last game in my list.

I've got to say, this game feels more like a CoD than a "modern RE game" for me except for Leon's parts. Frankly compared to the other 2, faults and all, this game is probably the lowest in the "modern RE approach" due to it being even less of a horror game than RE5 and the environments that aren't Leon's scenario are boring. Plus the I'm not a fan of how you switch weapons and items.

I previously didn't like RE5 as much but that changed after replaying it. This, unfortunately, I still do not like as much until now. I do plan on getting the platinum though.
Don't care what anyone says, I love this game. I've beaten all campaigns at least 3 times. With my wife we've done 2 playthroughs together and she loves it too.

Reactions: RSB

Hostile_18

Banned
Best Resident Evil and one of the best uses of multiplayer of all time (local coop and occasionaly teaming up with others in local coop for a hour or so before parting ways).

Oh and 4 campaigns full of fan favorite characters <3

Last edited:

Doom85

Leon's campaign started off decent, but the final two chapters were weak. Sherry's campaign was a constant roller coaster between decent parts and subpar parts. Barely gave Chris' campaign a chance, it was just all the worse elements of Leon and Sherry's campaigns rolled into one. Never touched Ada's.

It's not a terrible game (the actual characters' arcs were fairly good) but still pretty weak. It's not even the tone, the game just doesn't feel that good to control compared to pretty much all the other TPS entries (4, 5, and Revelations 1 and 2). The upgrades take way longer to reach and you can't use that many compared to the other games, and the weapon/item menu layout is terrible. Definitely the weakest of the main RE entries in my book.

kunonabi

Even all these years later, RE6 is a critically misunderstood game.

As others have said, as an action TPS the gunplay is godly, and up there as the best shooter of its generation. The problem is that it doesn't teach you any of its mechanics, so unless you stumble across this handy guide (or find another one yourself) it's going to be a frustrating experience:

The campaigns themselves are trash though, imo. It's all a little bit too Michael Bay, which fits with the over-the-top gameplay style but clashes super hard with the Resident Evil brand. Shoulda been its own 'The Mercenaries' spinoff or something.

It should have been a Dino Crisis game in all honesty.

Top Bottom