• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 4 (PS4 Edition, 2016)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident Evil 4 PS4 HD 1080p 2016

This is originally a 2005 game, Capcom released an HD version in 2016 and today, 2021, Resident Evil 4 is the gift that keeps on giving.

RE1-3 combined is better than RE4. Starting out in Raccoon city, discovering zombies at every corner is way better than Europe and it's village, castle, and island locations but frankly RE4 is more fast paced and having those multiple locations even if it ticked off hardcore Raccoon city fans is a bit of a good thing.

Jz7g.gif

I didn't know much about Leon other than he's the main character, has a lot of confidence and just not that unique. I like how they get Ashley involved and she does a fine job in her role of giving you anxiety trips and rushing through puzzles.

Untitled.png

There's 5 main chapters each with their own boss spread across 20 hours of gameplay, Leon must rescue the princess, eliminate hostiles, solve puzzles and escape. The game is 120 % linear

re4_05_secrets_02.jpg

and I love the classic horror feel to it like restoring health, solving basic tasks and understanding the virus more.

maxresdefault.jpg

Managing your weapons is similar to RE1-3, you'll want to collect currency to buy upgrades.

Resident Evil 4 is all about playing over the shoulder speedy gameplay against zombies that gives a serious nod to action games that I don't mind. Not having to creep around every corner is good, and some today still consider RE4 Capcom's greatest game ever.

PS Plus Spring sale, and RE8 Village hype brought me to the game, for me it's more dynamic than Re1-3 and for that I give it a 9/10. What's GAF's thoughts on RE4?

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE4 is a great game but a lousy RE title.

A milestone in game development and the first playthrough is amazing. For me personally, the game drags on whenever I revisit it.

I still enjoy it but I wish it would have contained more elements from classic era RE, even it was just in the story, which we got with Assignment Ada but that stuff is all retcon'd.

Totally deserves the praise it gets but it set the series on a rough path for over a decade. RE5/6/Revelations. Not what RE games should be.

RE4 is also the death of Leon as a character. RE2 he had so much humanity and character development. RE4 Leon just quips and does wrasslin' moves. It's all pretty dumb when you boil it down.

MistBreeze

resident evil to me is the best game of all time

considering playing it at time of release and what it did for gaming in general and still is

it is one of the most influential games ever

judging it now by today standards is not fair

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Greatest game to grace the surface of this earth. People hating it only do it because it‘s „duh hu“ not Resident Evil. Who cares? RE has been my favorite series ever since my 10 year old eyes saw it at a friends house and I miss classic RE like everyone else but that doesn‘t make RE4 less off a masterpiece.

Though I can understand this may be hard to understand today. You had to be there. Over the shoulder games were pretty new back then and the fact that RE4 still managed to deliver such a quality of gameplay was mindblowing back then.

fart town usa

Gold Member
resident evil to me is the best game of all time

considering playing it at time of release and what it did for gaming in general and still is

it is one of the most influential games ever

judging it now by today standards is not fair
I think gameplay wise it holds up just fine, the only issue I have are the camera controls. Just feels awful these days. Too springy, like the camera is just dying to get behind Leon every time you actually use the camera. If it was full 360 I think the game would truly be future proof.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Best game ever. So yeah, goes without saying it's the best RE game as well.

If OG RE fans had it there way, we would still have tank controls and aiming in one axis (i.e. aim your gun angled up 45°, level, and angled down 45°).

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Love the game still, but hate the gameplay nowadays. It feels way too clunky for what it tries to do. Most of the time I aim upwards because I want to draw my weapon and aim at the enemy. The camera controls are just bad. I also don't like how it doesn't have stomp attacks, as you need to continue to shoot or grab your knife to finish a grounded enemy. Not a fan of the fov nowadays either, try to detect those traps, with this fov combined with the camera controls. The QTE are awful and very strict. I don't like them anymore. In fact, I hate QTE in general.

This game is in need of a remake. And actually, graphically I still like it a lot. Its the mechanics that need to be reworked. And the final area perhaps, as its a bit shit.

Skifi28

The aiming is really bad in the PS4 version. Like the deadzone is set at 50% of the stick or something without any options to change it which makes aiming a real pain. I've played many versions of the game, this is the first time aiming felt terrible.

MistBreeze

I think gameplay wise it holds up just fine, the only issue I have are the camera controls. Just feels awful these days. Too springy, like the camera is just dying to get behind Leon every time you actually use the camera. If it was full 360 I think the game would truly be future proof.

yeah of course

it is an old game now but judging it should not be by today standards although it still holds up quite well

Top Bottom