• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prey reboot - This is what an original game looks like

kiphalfton

The Prey reboot is great in regards to the freedom it gives you and felt like a fantastic new direction for an FPS game.

When needing to get past security doors, getting to unreachable places, etc. in many cases there's more than one solution. My favorite was using the foam darts to open security doors by shooting at the security kiosks screen to unlock the door. You can technically track down the key card, find the key code, or hack it, but maybe you haven't found the card, code, or don't have a high enough hacking skill. No problem. There was only a couple locked areas that actually required you to have a keycatd as you couldn't hack it, you couldn't find some way into the room, etc. But even that was nice, as it added that extra proponent, where even if you were crafty sometimes you can't find your eya into the room unless you do it officially.

In regards to how the character handles and what they're capable of, it's different than a lot of other games as well. Most games have your feet planted to the ground, or when you do have more mobility it's uninspired garbage like wall running or a jet pack. Boo! However, in Prey the traversal is made great by being able to upgrade jump height, being able to hover for short periods to lessen impact from high falls and reach areas otherwise too far way, and being able to use the gloo gun to create make-shift stairs. The level of verticality for a first-person shooter is unparalleled and feels original and fun.

Although I was a bit disappointed by there only being a handful of conventional weapons, that takes a backseat to the neuromod Typhon abilities. It's a good mix up between the two, and in addition to hacking adds a deep enough layer to gameplay and deviates from other games by not relying exclusively on guns to kill everything in your path. And sometimes, especially earlier on, or on harder playthroughs, it's advised against killing everything as it may not be feasible or may just be extremely difficult.

I wasn't particularly impressed the first hour or so into the game, but I am so glad that I put more time into it as it is a gem.

SkylineRKR

You can also throw recycle nades at some places, or you can stack boxes. There is lots of ways to enter a room. The game gets far better if you upgrade mobility. Paired with the super fast load times on Xbox I could get to any place within seconds. The game does have some broken perks, I kind of regret getting Combat focus. It eliminates the need of any stealth, you activate it, run into someones back and shotgun. You will beat everything before they can react, even Nightmare fell after like 4 shotgun shots before he would even notice me.

I had shotgun and stun gun maxed and if you want a challenge don't do this.

Reactions: Isa

Shubh_C63

I played Prey and it felt too much like wannabe modern Half Life. Nothing wrong about that.

It just felt like a game stuck in the past. Like I can see this game being a phenomenon if released alongside Bioshock Infinite in 2012/2013.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I wish I could've enjoyed it, but I found fighting the little mimics very annoying. The one Arkane game I couldn't get into.

I heard that there was variety in enemies, but I really wanna know if I'm gonna spend most of the game fighting these little shits. Or at least, do you get skills or weapons that make fighting/discovering them less bothersome?

Shubh_C63

It's nothing like a half life game.
I think what I meant to say is, it felt really old school. Half life like game that have long drawn campaigns with first person puzzle solving and horror elements.

Idk I definitely still felt HL vibes from it.

kuncol02

Banned
When needing to get past security doors, getting to unreachable places, etc. in many cases there's more than one solution. My favorite was using the foam darts to open security doors by shooting at the security kiosks screen to unlock the door. You can technically track down the key card, find the key code, or hack it, but maybe you haven't found the card, code, or don't have a high enough hacking skill. No problem. There was only a couple locked areas that actually required you to have a keycatd as you couldn't hack it, you couldn't find some way into the room, etc. But even that was nice, as it added that extra proponent, where even if you were crafty sometimes you can't find your eya into the room unless you do it officially.
To some places you can get into by turning into mug or other small object and just rolling into through same opening you used to shoot screen.

I played Prey and it felt too much like wannabe modern Half Life. Nothing wrong about that.

It just felt like a game stuck in the past. Like I can see this game being a phenomenon if released alongside Bioshock Infinite in 2012/2013.
Interesting viewpoint. Did you feel like its gameplay was outdated? If so in which ways?

RGB'D

This game is legitimately amazing. I'm supremely confident in RedFall because Arkane Austin slaps...

Yeah, the only similarity is the name. In saying that, what a wild ride! There was a familiarity about the aesthetic and mechanics (reminds me of Bioshock, Portal, System Shock 2) but it acknowledged its predecessors while introducing new ideas and creating a fantastic, horrifying space station to explore. Definitely one of my favourite games of the last 10 years.
Didn't realize until late in the game that my suit had thrusters... was a peaceful, albeit slow traversal outside the space station. Still yet to play the DLC.

Spaceman292

Banned
People love it now, but when it came out it seemed like everyone was fixated on hating the name for some reason. They couldn't get past it. It was really weird.

Miles708

I wanted to love it but the input lag on base ps4 makes it totally unplayable. It's so bad I've skipped all their other games once i knew it's a "feature" of their engine.

I'm sorry, but I'm also not sorry.
Optimize a bit next time.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I think what I meant to say is, it felt really old school. Half life like game that have long drawn campaigns with first person puzzle solving and horror elements.

Idk I definitely still felt HL vibes from it.

The atmosphere can be similar in places but other than that completely different types of games.

System Shock would be a more apt comparison.

Hezekiah

Banned
Good game with some unique ideas in terms abilities. I felt it dragged on a bit, but definitely one of the best games over the last few years.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Level Design, some concepts, and moments were fantastic. I felt that it did drag on way too long though. Could be cut down by 4-5 hours and be all the better for it.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I finished it but it started feeling like a repetitive chore pretty fast. I tend not to like Arkane's games, I thought Dishonored was very boring and sterile too so take my opinion with that in mind.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You’re speaking my language. Fantastic game that was overlooked by almost everyone. I‘m crossing my fingers that Arkane sees fit to at least raise the framerate cap to 60 for PS5. I’ve put so much time into Prey and would go back for 60fps.
Came in to say I‘m waiting for the PS5 patch to replay this game… see first post got me covered… *brofist*

Marvelous game.

Plantoid

Good game, I was very impressed with the level design and immersion, but then the nightmare started to hunt me and I started a few other games, it's now on my backlog, I have so many games I can't find time to go back to it

First game frok arkane that I liked, dishonored is too hard for me

Dav-Kripler

People love it now, but when it came out it seemed like everyone was fixated on hating the name for some reason. They couldn't get past it. It was really weird.
That's because while it is a good game, the story of why they named it "prey" is a bummer. It killed off any chance of the original from 2006 to come back in any form despite how far ahead of it's time it was and how much world-building it had laid down. It was doing portals and superliminal tricks before the games that would make those mechanics famous.

In short. This is a brilliant system shock-like immersive fps and it does deserve more attention... But as a fan of Prey (2006) the trade-off is still a bit sad.

kingfey

Banned
Games used to tell something back then. Even the crappy games were good.

Now days, games are just a list of checklist. Where we occasionally get a random hit out of nowhere.

Top Bottom