• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - NieR: Automata

Bartski

Gold Member
Got the game on Gamepass and beat almost to the plat last week.

I didn't like the demo some time ago and despite first impressions full of reasons to think it's not for me - Automata just won me over, with great feeling combat and an absolutely INCREDIBLE soundtrack.

Oh and the story. Not exactly the second coming of Christ in videogame storytelling as one might expect looking through some youtube video thumbnails on the subject, but after seeing its 25 of 26 possible endings
(sorry Emil I'm not grinding 20 levels just to even stand a chance) I'm happy to confirm it's packed with ideas of pure genius.

The way it flips old-school videogame mechanics and turns them into almost like a language it tells the story with and ways players diagetically interface with it... And it all just works, delivering a very consistent and deep piece of thought-provoking fiction IMO, utilizing the medium in truly brilliant ways.

Polished, super responsive gameplay, locked @ 60fps on XsX. Ok - some jarring LOD fades, unjustified on some environments straight outa PS3 - whatever, I stopped noticing half an hour in, generally in awe of everything the game does right.

Also, quite a ballsy move to make a game where you have to play the campaign at least 3 times and every each one of them just one-ups the previous one both narratively and mechanically... that was surprising, to say the least.

I'm definitely checking out the other Nier remaster later on this year and probably other games by Yoko Toro in the future, I know I've been missing out.

Last edited:

DustQueen

Banned
The weirdest thing about the game is that "Normal" difficulty described as "how game designed to play" when it is clearly not the case, cos it is completely broken if you play it on normal.
Pacing does not really work when you can destroy anyone by simple button mashing, making quite moments boring rather than relaxing, you cannot die cos you always have time before you killed to consume one of you 1000 healing items and you can overpower you self with chips very fast.
The entire idea of how intro is structured and written does not work on normal.(especially "cycle of life and death joke)

Do not play this on Normal.

Top Bottom