• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: Nier Automata, and BOY do I have questions

LordOfChaos

The towers three towers and the library archive, these were machine constructs, right? And they had hacked into the YoRHa bunker and acquired information?

First off I'm kind of curious why 9S was accepting all this information as canon if it was a machine system. The simulated YoRHa council of humanity personality/voice was then just a replica of the actual thing? Was this just N2 using the voice of the fake Council of Humanity, or had they copied that personality also?

But then they later throw out the line that "the girls" plan was to cannon the moon base. Why did they change their mind to upload data into space? Why was the original plan to cannon the moon when their goal was to keep the war going to advance their own evolution? What's the purpose of the upload? I don't get this bit at all.

It's also mentioned earlier on that the machines seem to willfully repeat failing in human ways - being a shitty farmer but doing the same thing over and over again - does this ever come up again? Why was this?

Was the ungrowing baby king just part of this unplugged network of androids, no real purpose other than to show they had no purpose?

[Top Secret] YoRHa Disposal - so who exactly is in command here? I thought YoRHa was in charge this whole game, but someone above this is manipulating the whole thing? Are the new androids no longer going to be part of YoRHa?

Ok, the big things! So YoRHa, or the Android commanders, or something, were aware that humanity had been wiped out, so they created the fake Council of Humanity to keep the Androids motivated, and then they keep wiping them out and sending in new units once they figure it out...Why?? If they knew humanity was defeated, their purpose is gone, what reason did they have to keep tricking their own kind exactly? Why would AI lifeforms fake a purpose to keep a war going when their purpose is gone?

Sorry! That's a lot of questions, but they just kept growing in my mind the further I got towards the end....Dang, if that last paragraph doesn't make this one of the most nihilistic games I've ever played... Everyone dying and suffering on repeat forever as machines try to evolve past their purpose and the android command faking one...Was it all just Meaningless [C]ode?

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I know this game is four years old but it may have some new players coming off of Replicant remaster, I wonder if some (all?) of your post should be spoiler tagged.

I watched A LOT of long YouTube videos where people broke down the entire plot and also explained all the philosophical references that went over my head because I haven't watched The Good Place recently and forgot what Kierkegaard's schtick was (when you do realize what it was, and what Yoko Taro did with it, it hits hard.)

I love Automata, but yes some plot threads kind of go nowhere.

Boss Mog

Ok, the big things! So YoRHa, or the Android commanders, or something, were aware that humanity had been wiped out, so they created the fake Council of Humanity to keep the Androids motivated, and then they keep wiping them out and sending in new units once they figure it out...Why?? If they knew humanity was defeated, their purpose is gone, what reason did they have to keep tricking their own kind exactly? Why would AI lifeforms fake a purpose to keep a war going when their purpose is gone?
I think you answered your own question. Their purpose was to help humans win the war but if there are no humans any more what is their purpose then? Without a purpose what would be the need for their existence? For these AI beings that don't fully grasp all of human emotion, having a purpose is the most important thing.The androids were evolving though with some having "feelings" for other androids and wanting to live their own lives and not fight the machines anymore. i think it was just a way of buying time so the androids could evolve to the point where their lives could have meaning even without a specific purpose.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Biggest question, is it pronounced au-to-muh-tuh or au-to-mar-ter?

I favour the former but have heard both used.

Trimesh

Banned

I think the latter is correct - it's the plural form of "automaton" and it would be strange for the sound of that 'a' to shift so much.

angelic

Banned

The game itself says it aw toe mar ta. Not ortometer.

Re not understanding stuff, finish ABCD and E then watch Clemps videos.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Confused Mental Health GIF by RainToMe

LordOfChaos

I think you answered your own question. Their purpose was to help humans win the war but if there are no humans any more what is their purpose then? Without a purpose what would be the need for their existence? For these AI beings that don't fully grasp all of human emotion, having a purpose is the most important thing.The androids were evolving though with some having "feelings" for other androids and wanting to live their own lives and not fight the machines anymore. i think it was just a way of buying time so the androids could evolve to the point where their lives could have meaning even without a specific purpose.

I think this is merging two plots, it's four years old after all - the machine network intelligence was the one that tried to prolong the war to keep up evolutionary pressure, so that they can ascend the purpose the aliens gave them, which was defeating their enemies. Once they did that, they blasted off their memories and materials into space, just leaving the non-networked machines like Pascal's village.

Whichever (unseen?) Androids are the real puppet masters to YoRHa perpetuated the lie that humanity was still alive to keep morale up. Whether this was to also evolve is unknown, we just know they were going to end all YoRHa Androids and send in new stronger ones, which I guess we never saw? If the goal was evolution or just having a purpose at all we don't know as much.

I guess my question there is, why did they intend to take out humanity on the moon when they wanted the war to keep going? Or was that just an earlier plan, then hacking the bunker they realized there was no humanity, and switched to ascending once the network intelligence had evolved past the Alien given purpose?

I know I'm answering my own questions writing this out here haha, but...This is just one of the most nihilistic games I've ever played, both sides continuing long after their masters demise.

So basically 2B's ass >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else in the game.

Sounds reasonable.

2B was cool but I'm an A2 man

I watched A LOT of long YouTube videos where people broke down the entire plot and also explained all the philosophical references that went over my head because I haven't watched The Good Place recently and forgot what Kierkegaard's schtick was (when you do realize what it was, and what Yoko Taro did with it, it hits hard.)

That sounds interesting about Kierkegaard, which video was this?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I've been playing it tho I don't see what's so GREAT about it, it's good for sure, movement is totally pleasant and I love it, but in general I feel like it's an okey-ish game, enjoyable, but not a master piece... Maybe I'm not playing it right?

LordOfChaos

I've been playing it tho I don't see what's so GREAT about it, it's good for sure, movement is totally pleasant and I love it, but in general I feel like it's an okey-ish game, enjoyable, but not a master piece... Maybe I'm not playing it right?

Where are you?

At the end of the first campaign, I was disappointed, "that's it?", I was expecting a twist that never came.

Let me just tell you that's where the game STARTS, and you shouldn't read more of this thread if that's where you are

Kataploom

Gold Member
Where are you?

At the end of the first campaign, I was disappointed, "that's it?", I was expecting a twist that never came.

Let me just tell you that's where the game STARTS, and you shouldn't read more of this thread if that's where you are
Ok, I'm a little after I fought the twins white head guys or whatever they are.

Shifty1897

That sounds interesting about Kierkegaard, which video was this?
I'll try to find it and post it later. But Kierkegaard's thing was the "leap of faith" and how belief in God relates to philosophy.

His ideas are represented by the
machine cult that want to become as gods and the machines that literally take a leap of faith into the vats of molten metal and die.

Bridges

Ok, I'm a little after I fought the twins white head guys or whatever they are.
The game does not become great until after you've seen the credits roll a couple times. I'd suggest finishing the game before going back into any threads because it'd be a real shame to have some of the very cool story points spoiled before you get there yourself.

For what it's worth, I thought the game kinda sucked during my first "playthrough", but as you go through multiple routes the plot unravels in a super interesting way, and the true ending is very impactful.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The game does not become great until after you've seen the credits roll a couple times. I'd suggest finishing the game before going back into any threads because it'd be a real shame to have some of the very cool story points spoiled before you get there yourself.

For what it's worth, I thought the game kinda sucked during my first "playthrough", but as you go through multiple routes the plot unravels in a super interesting way, and the true ending is very impactful.
Hmmmmm I don't like replaying the same thing too soon so I'll see, I'm one of those that goes to Youtube and check the other endings so I don't have to play the same game again just to see them (and god forbid I don't mess it up on my decisions).

LordOfChaos

Hmmmmm I don't like replaying the same thing too soon so I'll see, I'm one of those that goes to Youtube and check the other endings so I don't have to play the same game again just to see them (and god forbid I don't mess it up on my decisions).

It's not the same campaign. Route B, the second campaign, has some retreading, but it's not very long. After that you get all new campaigns, and that's where I started to like it much more.

Last edited:

Bridges

It's not the same campaign. Route B, the second campaign, has some retreading, but it's not very long. After that you get all new campaigns, and that's where I started to like it much more.
Ok, that's very good to know, thanks!
Yeah, these games do themselves a real disservice by calling them "Endings". I think a lot more people would be willing to play through the whole experience if they didn't put credits inbetween each route.

LordOfChaos

Also also - in route C, what exactly did A2 do, "I'm coming"? Did she infect/become part of the machine logic stream to be shot into space? Is she still trying to kill all of them up there?

And is the route E ending in addition to this, so the backup copy of her means there's two out there now?

killatopak

Also also - in route C, what exactly did A2 do, "I'm coming"? Did she infect/become part of the machine logic stream to be shot into space? Is she still trying to kill all of them up there?

And is the route E ending in addition to this, so the backup copy of her means there's two out there now?
She's just following her old team in death. She's finally free from the burden of being the only survivor in her team.

no, she dies in ending C and E. Which means there only one.

LordOfChaos

No.9: We'll all be ... manufactured all over again ...
No.9:
But I'm happy ... that this version of myself ...
No.9: ... could be killed by you ...

No.9 (narration): Hey, No.2.
No.9 (narration): I wonder, why do you think we were born?
No.2 (narration): I don't know, No.9 ... I just don't ...
No.2 (narration): I believe ... only tragedy awaits us in our futures.
No.2 (narration): And that ... we made a mistake somewhere along the way.
No.2 (narration): We can never ... ever ... be forgiven ...
No.2 (narration): Never ...

Does this mean No.9 and No.2 are the original prototypes for 2B and 9S, manufactured over and over again? Repeating 2B killing 9S over and over. What was this sin?

Are the new, higher end androids replacing them after YoRHa suppose to be a further step towards recreating them, or further?

Top Bottom