• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Gear Solid Series [Lots of GIFs][Long]

tcrunch

[Post 1 of 2]

I decided to play the games because I wanted to play Revengeance after seeing some GIFs from it. It certainly helped that the series has a good reputation but yeah, that's the reason. Don't judge me!

I am going to write about the games in the order I played them, but I waited till I completed the whole series to write the reviews due to my asynchronous play order and because the games rely on a lot of internal references. GIFs are ripped from yt playthroughs.

=============================================
METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER

Original Platform: Playstation 2
My Platform: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Playstation 3
Playtime: 17 hours

L0a9GGt.gif

"Real spies are nothing like James Bond. It's pure fantasy!"

The Metal Gear Solid series byline is TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION, which is a way of saying you should avoid your enemies when possible, but that at any time you may be plunged into a firefight and you must be prepared for that eventuality too. In MGS3, you play a soldier codenamed Naked Snake who conducts stealth missions in an alternate history starting around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. This alternate history embraces conspiracy theories, sci-fi elements, and a little bit of the supernatural.

Naked Snake procures most of his weapons and equipment on-site, hence the codename. The left and right back triggers open up a quick inventory menu for accessing items he's gathered. If this sounds a little unwieldy don't worry, the game acknowledges the time you may spend flipping through items by pausing when the quick inventory opens. You can also quickly equip or unequip your currently selected item by tapping the appropriate back trigger, useful for switching in and out of thermal vision when facing a camouflaging enemy, or running to a sniping position then quickly dropping and deploying your rifle.

The game features a primitive auto-cover system: run too close to a wall and Snake will automatically nudge up against it to take cover. I found this to cause more problems than it solved. Another punishing feature with cover is the camera behavior when Snake is crawling. If you crawl into a ditch or hollow log, the camera zooms in to first person, eliminating your peripheral view just as if you were really inside your hidey hole. The problem is the camera does not differentiate between an enclosed cover location like a log, and when Snake just happens to brush too close to a tree or wall while crawling. Snake gets "stuck" in this viewing position until you move him away, which sometimes deprives you of crucial seconds trying to get around a patrol. At best it simply disrupts the gameplay and disorients the player.

The HD Collection version of MGS3 offers two camera angles, "Normal" (top-down) and "3rd Person". Normal is the original camera presentation of MGS3 and enhances the utility of certain items like the Motion Detector and Anti-Personnel Sensor. Unfortunately, once you go 3rd Person you will not go back, it prevents frustrations like entering an enemy's view before they enter yours, and makes the camera experience a bit more cohesive. I found the game would sometimes switch back to Normal camera on its own, and I had to switch between the two perspectives in the options menu a couple times to get it back on 3rd Person.

UvHctvt.gif

Its vision is based on movement

R1 is the first person viewing key in either camera mode, but on some weapons you enter the first person scope by pressing L1, and adjust the scope with the triangle key while trying to control the scope view with the right stick below. You need a lot of fingers to pull this off, but using scoped weapons is not too necessary throughout the game. Free-aiming (aiming without using iron sights or a scope) on the other hand was a recipe for failure for me, so I had to stage in the game's 3rd person or top-down camera mode, then switch to first person and hope I was pointing the right way to take out the guard coming around the corner.

There are also some control elements the game will not tell you about, so if Snake's mentor starts talking about CQC (close-quarters combat) and you're sitting there wondering why you can only flail at a guard when he spots you, read through the game's instruction manual. The CQC controls are touchy though. To grab a guard you have snuck up on, you press O. However if you keep holding O, you will kill the guard. If you do not press O firmly enough when trying to grab the guard, you will simply punch him in the back of the head. Like I said, touchy.

A first-time player will absolutely have to practice with the controls. You might want to try a bit of play on Very Easy before you switch to Normal difficulty, but be warned you cannot change difficulties mid-game, you will have to start a new one. Most cutscenes can be skipped if you need to replay a section, there are a few occasions where they can't and I'm not sure what the deciding factor is.

So I have spent six paragraphs talking about the game's controls, and the reason I did that is because I spent more time fighting the controls than the enemies. I actually gave up on the series for a couple months after completing the first mission in MGS3, but I eventually went back and read the manual and powered through the rest of the game. I also replayed the game after I completed the others and had a much easier time because I knew where the controls were deviating from the more standardized controls of modern MGS games, and where the particular quirks of the series were still present. I also figured out the 3rd Person camera existed on my second playthrough, which was like finding Jesus.

mVXfjG9.gif

I'm haunted by controls from 2004!

In addition to TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION, MGS3 integrates a bit of START menu diving to serve three survival mechanisms. The first is camouflage, you can hide better from enemies wearing a green shirt in the forest and a brick-colored shirt in an industrial area. Next is food, you need to eat random animals and rations to maintain your stamina.

And then there's the cure menu, where you get an image of Snake and have to heal all his booboos with the correct medical supplies. All three of these mechanics felt like stopping the main gameplay to fiddle around in menus, not very rewarding or well-integrated. My most inspired experience with them was after the fact, visiting the cure menu and realizing the reason my screen got all dark and blurry was because the boss I was fighting shot me with a tranq dart. The creators of MGS apparently didn't feel very attached to these systems either: the food and cure menus were eliminated completely in subsequent titles, and the camouflage system in Peace Walker and MGS5 can be readily ignored.

Whew. So, bad controls, esoteric mechanics, we're on the path to oblivion right? Fortunately as with many things Metal Gear, the entire picture is more complicated than that. If you can learn to live in peace with the controls, MGS3 offers a fun story with carefully conceived characters: almost every action in a cutscene has meaning, and the facial animations are top-notch (the only exception being that the game is originally Japanese dubbed, so the English dub doesn't match the lip synch). In fact the game starts off by setting the standards so high for developed characters that when you finally start running into the four sub-bosses, members of the elite Cobra unit, you come away a bit disappointed that all of them are little more than a concept sketch.

tWpMDWw.gif

You don't need lipsynch to tell you this guy hates barrels

The Cobras are pretty fun to fight, with the highlight sequence of the game being when Snake is tasked to hunt down a Cobra sniper across three forest zones. Not every sequence is perfect: the on-rails chases get overplayed, and you have one hell of a time in a dark cave. But the bulk of the game is conceived on careful and rewarding exploration of various indoor and outdoor areas, with the outdoors being especially challenging because of enemy camouflage, limited views, and occasionally dangerous animals. You can breeze through with the minimum of effort if you want, but explorers will discover extra items that don't just make them stronger, but offer alternate ways to play the game.

Because of this variety in approaches and victory conditions, I feel MGS3 offers something for every kind of player. Snake is definitely his own man, and one of the more likable protagonists you will ever encounter, but his technique is all up to you. The thing you are going to remember first about MGS3 is its characters and their stories, but the gameplay is still good enough that those stories remain best served by that gameplay, and not by a miniseries or movie. The aesthetic of the game is very consistent, and the integration of game and cutscenes is such that the gameplay helps tell the story, it's not just filler on the way to the next cinematic. This should be an objective of all games, and it is very well-realized here.

The environments are nothing to write home about, but serviceable for a PS2 game. The HD Collection version is very crisp and clean. I appreciate that the indoor and industrial settings have simplified textures, it's much easier to find your way around than out in the forest. The character animations are stellar. I'm an animation-centric person. If you show me a screenshot of a pretty game, I'm going to ask "but how does it look when it moves?" And I can comfortably say MGS3 impressed me, the movements of the characters are all very particular to them and full of charisma. Theatrics are the name of the game for Metal Gear Solid characters, they don't care about realism, they are here to write their mark across your memory.

METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER

Original Platform: PSP
Completion: All main missions, all side-ops up to [118]

mL3D2Py.gif

"It will bite you unless you kill it."

Don't be fooled by this game's original release on a handheld, it's a complete MGS game with a lot of nice gameplay improvements and elaborations compared to MGS3. The HD Collection version's graphics are very nice, the actual gameplay does not look different from the PS2 games. The only flaw is that cutscenes are now portrayed comic book style, with static or slightly moving images instead of full 3D renders.

Peace Walker sees the agent from MGS3, now titled Big Boss, assembling a gang of mercenaries "without borders". In addition to the sneaking missions and boss battles the series is known for, you are tasked with building up your mercenary base, recruiting soldiers, and dispatching them on missions to collect phat money for you. If you are familiar with the assassin recruits you gather in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, this follows the same lines. Rather than finding all your gear in the wild, you find blueprints (or receive them when your mercenaries complete missions) and then you get to choose if developing the gear is worthwhile to you.

I enjoyed building my base and customizing my gear, but the "Recruit" option at Mother Base is basically punching people out over and over with a wealth of load screens in between, and not very fun. I quickly gave up on it and stuck to kidnapping my recruits from the field. Yes, that is a thing the game allows you to do - kidnap people and convince them to join your army.

Peace Walker is divided into main ops, which advance the story, and side ops, which help you gather new gear or give you challenges (mostly different kinds of tanks and helicopters) to beat, which in turn will give your mercenaries new assets for their missions. You can even play as one of your mercenaries in most of the side ops, which is nice because some of them end up with much higher health than Big Boss, and they get a money bonus for completing the mission.

While the abundance of load screens and confirmation screens are a little bothersome, Peace Walker has some seriously addictive gameplay in all its ops. You have the option of three different control types, one of which adopts the standard of MGS4 (there's also one that mimics the controls of Monster Hunter...). This means you are no longer subject to the "growing pains" of the experimental controls in MGS1-3.

LxXI80B.gif

Goodbye top-down camera, hello x-ray camera

The game is also easier than MGS3 in general, but especially if you focus on developing the right kinds of weapons to suit your playstyle. Ultimately, my base was turning out so much money I could develop everything available all the time, but in the beginning I was able to ignore weapons I don't use (assault rifles, machine guns, SMGs) in favor of hyper-developing my preferred weapons like the tranq pistol and Fulton recovery system, aka the kidnap balloon.

The camouflage system returns, supposedly enhancing your sneaking abilities by selecting the right camo, but since you can't see a battlefield in advance it's sort of moot and can be completely ignored. By the end of the game I used only my custom-developed sneaking suit or the battle suit anyway, depending on the mission. Loadouts throughout the game are tactical: you can only carry a certain number of items and weapons into a given mission. The sneaking suit decreases your item carry limit, but quiets your footsteps. The battle dress lets you carry an extra weapon, but your footstep volume is set to "STAMPEDE".

Most side ops reuse locations visited in the main mission over and over again, so don't expect to see a whole lot new on them. Some of the side ops are main mission bosses with bigger health bars and their voices pitched lower. Side ops are not where the story is located, but they are great for perfecting your technique on bosses while simultaneously gathering rewards to make you and your Mother Base stronger.

g9dEilC.gif

Against the might of a man with a tranq gun and a balloon, what could one tank possibly hope to do?

Peace Walker is pretty weak on plot and characters. At the start of the game, Big Boss has a sidekick named Miller who did not appear in MGS3 and is introduced with no explanation of where he came from, but apparently a close relationship to BB. Your competitor agents Eva and Ocelot from MGS3 are nowhere to be found. Most of the character humor goes with them. Ocelot's absence is especially weird, given how he shows up as BB's chum in MGS5.

Big Boss agrees to undertake a mission on behalf of a college student and her professor, which is predictably not what it seems. Halfway through the game the credits roll for some reason, then you play another substantially less interesting half where most of the main ops are "find this guy, again" and end with you fighting a mecha pilot in a bikini. The story cannibalizes MGS3 themes and reintroduces them, playing sound clips from MGS3 over and over again as if there is something new to be garnered from them in Peace Walker's context.

AbDKgC0.gif

Before there was BB-8, there was...Professor Galvez

This game does introduce your XO Miller, scienceaholics Huey and Strangelove, and kiddos Paz and Chico who are all pretty important characters in MGSV: Ground Zeroes and MGSV proper, and the gameplay of Peace Walker also seems to be the source of MGSV's gameplay. It's definitely a fun little game, and I cannot understate how much the controls improved, it just lacks on character beats and story. If you like any other MGS game, you will like this one.

Peace Walker has an online component, you can complete some missions with others and trade mercenaries with them. I was unable to ring up anyone when I tried it though, probably due to the game's age and the platform split.

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS

Playstation 3
Playtime: 23 hours

A8LVNq5.gif

"I may have loved you once, but now you're just too damn senile to see the truth."

MGS4 has much nicer controls than any previous entry in the series, but as I discussed in my MGS3 review this does not automatically translate to better gameplay. Something I touched on in that review is how gameplay can work together with cutscenes to better convey a story. Think about it: if a game's cutscenes accomplish the entirety of the story on their own, not just the technical details of the plot but the tone and the entirety of the experience, why have the "game" part at all? You could just make a movie, or a miniseries.

As the sun rises on the series' fourth numbered entry, the clone operative Snake rides into a Call of Duty-colored Middle Eastern warzone. After a lengthy cutscene, gameplay begins. Snake's first task: figure his way out of a corral of videogamey object barriers by crawling under a truck. The moment he accomplishes this, another cutscene begins.

MGS4 does not integrate gameplay and story. The gameplay it does offer is a thin garnish compared to the depth and variety of which the series is capable. Item discovery is eliminated as a mechanic, Snake earns flat points that can be used to purchase weapons. There is no incentive to do anything but get through each area as fast as possible, and hope that the cutscene you reach at the end is worth it. Unfortunately the game does not offer anything particularly enthralling story-wise until the end of the third act, and the game is comprised of five acts total.

6q7NJ9i.gif

The Vamp to non-Vamp cutscene ratio is unacceptably low

Gameplay-wise there is nothing especially memorable either till the third act, at which point the game finally diversifies with a noir shadowing sequence. The payoff continues to build through the fourth act, but the ease of the gameplay (at least on Normal difficulty) means there feels like even less content than there really is from one cutscene to the next. The game also begins integrating a great deal of "cinematic" action, even splitting the screen between simplified gameplay scenarios and cutscenes.

Maybe you can ride a story high all the way to the end. The fourth and fifth acts certainly fly by. But this entry's four Beauty and the Beast subbosses follow the MGS3 route of being nothing more than emotional sketches, with exposition on their incredibly similar collection of backstories given to you after you win each fight. Each BNB boss fight also has an identical second phase, with absolutely no individual character implied through the gameplay.

mq57emK.gif

I'm so light, because I have no soul

Other new characters introduced for MGS4 fall pretty flat: some forgettable goons among your allies Rat Patrol 01, and an arms dealer who has a pet monkey because haha monkeys are funny, I guess. To appreciate the wealth of returning characters, you will need to have played Metal Gear Solid 1-3. The game lacks a lot of the humor of previous entries, with the dominant joke for the first two acts being a guy that craps his pants and farts constantly. Yep.

There is something to be said for the treatment of MGS standby Otacon, Snake's scienceholic ally: this is his game. He improves pretty much every scene he is in, and his and Snake's interactions- along with newcomer Sunny, who does manage to make a memory out of herself -demonstrate one of the best friendly relationships in gaming. Brings an actual tear to your eye. And maybe that is worth going through the rest of the game.

1xEB93h.gif

You Tried

tcrunch

[ Post 2 of 2 ]

METAL GEAR SOLID 5: THE PHANTOM PAIN

Platform: PC for Ground Zeroes, Playstation 4 for The Phantom Pain
Playtime: 75 hours

eMknckA.gif

"She's in love with the legend."
"What makes you so sure?"
"I was the same way once."

[Ground Zeroes is a brief prequel demo to MGS5. It's sort of important to play story-wise, but it does not offer anything more than one 1.5-hour main mission with cutscenes and a bunch of side ops that all take place in the main mission location. Get it as cheap as possible. The end!]

MGS5 is an evolution of Peace Walker's mechanics. It also has the same two-part story structure, where the credits run after a certain point in the game and then you proceed to the second half which has fewer missions and a less functional story. Missions are again divided into main ops and side ops, you have the opportunity to expand your base, kidnap soldiers for your army, and develop only what technology you think is worthwhile.

The game follows Big Boss, the CIA operative from MGS3, turned mercenary in Peace Walker. Though the story opens on a cinematic action sequence similar to MGS4, where the objective is not TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION but simply steering your character to the next plot point, the gameplay through the rest of the missions is an improvement even on Peace Walker. Every op aside from the tank/helicopter confrontations has the bones of a sneaking mission, but how you confront the mission requirements is ultimately up to you.

Before you know it, you may find yourself ignoring the main ops and simply ticking off side ops to find your next big personnel score or to try out a new toy. The side ops have incredibly repetitive designs, not bothering to hide it in their titles- there's more than 10 "Extract the Highly-Skilled Soldier" ops, for example. With a few exceptions, they offer no story nourishment. They exist to give you more gameplay, without the trappings or charisma of the Metal Gear Solid series story.

Unfortunately this story-free design philosophy intrudes on the main ops as well. In Peace Walker, every main op took you another step through the plot. You understood why your character could not progress to the next mission, because he had not made it to that physical location yet. The main ops portrayed a linear story in a linear, always-forward environment. Side ops then borrowed the locations from that environment for you to revisit and accomplish different challenges.

In MGS5, the environments have been converted to an open world-style. You can visit the main and side op locations at any time, but only having a main op active or a side op accessible determines if you can do anything worthwhile there. In fact to my incredible dismay, when I reached the second environment in Africa I spent time visiting each location and clearing it of anti-air radars, communications antennas, and power generators, only to find that when I subsequently visited those locations in the main missions all that technology was back with the exception of the anti-air. MGS5's "open world" is only present in a physical sense: there are no barriers between locations, but there are also no branching stories to discover by wandering the battlefield, there is nothing to do if a mission isn't attached, and there's certainly no one to talk to.

The size of each environment also becomes problematic, because the distance between any random side op and the next is often huge. Traveling by foot or horse/car may mean several minutes of running through an empty wasteland, while the game's "fast travel" option involves a three-part unskippable cutscene of jumping on a helicopter, navigating a map in the helicopter, then jumping back out of the helicopter at your destination. The jump-in/out is also accompanied by load screens, and I am not figuring in the time you spend waiting for the helicopter to get to the landing zone after you call it. If you want people to foster a contented addiction to your gameplay, you have to keep the transition between ops as seamless as possible.

wVtffhk.gif

*SWWWRRSH* door noise erryday

I've established that location is not a barrier to your main op progress in MGS5, so what is? Information. This results in several main ops being nothing more than "rescue this person" missions, where the plot is advanced on a blue screen with a voiceover describing the intel you discovered after the mission ends. This is not a compelling way to tell a story. It is not "main op" content. If the open world had been designed such that visiting a particular location on a side op let you get this intel early, and thus unlock more of the true story missions in a different, personalized order, perhaps with different outcomes depending on that order, then the open world might have suited MGS5's story better. Telling a linear story in an open world only serves to dilute the story's impact, and Peace Walker already had the main op/side op balance right, so the changes in this game end up being a little baffling.

Perhaps in deference to the customizable characters of open world RPGs, MGS5 also allows you the option of not even playing Big Boss on main ops. You can instead play any one of your recruited minions. Big Boss is still the one that shows up in the cutscenes, but he almost never talks, cutscene mission or not, so the lack of the minion's model in the cutscenes is nonsensical. It's worth noting that series veteran David Hayter did not return for MGS5, and the new VA sort of mumbles through his lines, but something is better than nothing. Big Boss is not a personalityless self-insert for the audience, and in the past he has played the straight man to the series' goofy, expositing Bond-like villains, so an entry without that character has caused the story to lose another piece of its soul.

Your companions are also devoid of their usual character charms. Your good chums Miller and Ocelot spend all their time on exposition, and one of the new characters can't talk at all even though the main ops desperately need some side commentary flavor. Huey Emmerich is the bright light in the mix, defiant and emotional and interesting till the end. Unfortunately he doesn't earn a lot of speaking parts on the main ops. Though you can find him on-base as well, he is placed up on a platform you cannot reach and thus you never interact with him of your own free will.

lVLebry.gif

You know Ocelot, we really are The Last of Us...

So I've said that the story is spread thin by the game's design and the characters' unwillingness to chat, but MGS5 also seems to be afraid of cutscenes, and hides a ton of material in a tape recorder that you are supposed to play...sometime. The game always gives you a prompt to play it when you are in your helicopter, but shockingly I would rather play the game than listen to a cassette. Eventually, in my confusion, I started playing some of them in the jump-off-helicopter cutscene. You can't play them during the jump-on helicopter cutscene, because you will get cut off by a loading screen. If the game could manage to continue playing cassettes during loading screens, you might have something. But otherwise a complete understanding of the story will require you to stop playing and listen for a while.

Maybe there was some backlash against MGS4's everpresent cutscenes and cinematic action that the developers took to heart, I don't know. I did write about that in my MGS4 review. But MGS5 sort of goes to the opposite extreme. It's a game of endless exposition, on-tape or in-person, and not much heart. If no one talks, and no one ever shows their true face where the player can see it, the story becomes hollow.

AIVa6ic.gif

From the creative mind that lets you R1 a 16-year-old till she's in her underwear in Peace Walker

Like Peace Walker, the second act is much worse than the first, and the game does not appear to "end" in any sort of logical conclusion, just a gotcha moment that could have been addressed at any time previously. Even understanding this ending (which first requires you to replay an early mission in its entirety for no decipherable reason) necessitates that you played Metal Gear 1 and 2. I did go ahead and play those a bit since they are included in the PS3 HD Collection, though I ended up finishing their stories by watching yt playthroughs. Unfortunately they are very much products of their time, and basically sum the ending of this game as "well it didn't matter anyway". There is no special insight this game adds to MG1 and 2, and nothing that reflects back. In fact I am not clear on the entire story of this series at this point. This would be fine if this game had something to say on its own, but it doesn't. The second act is called "Race" and doesn't even address that theme in any readily discernible way. Maybe I should have listened to more cassette tapes.

I did spend a ton of hours on side ops, so that's something. In fact this Onion article is starting to feel familiar. The graphics are also decent, on par with any other PS4 game for 2015. Microexpressions and especially lipsynching have notably improved over earlier games. The environments are also occasionally even pretty when the weather conditions and sun position line up right, which is new for the series.

MGS5 has an online component (team PVP and base invasions) that I did not try.

Here is a series of conversations I had with a friend who was playing this game at the same time (I'm the blue box). Take them how you will. They contain SPOILERS.

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY

Original Platform: Playstation 2
Playtime: 15 hours

6f2nQpQ.gif

"Your persona, experiences, triumphs and defeats are nothing but byproducts."

MGS2 features a top-down perspective, but it works better than MGS3's due to the smaller environment and the presence of an enemy radar by default- provided you log in to the nodes in each area. Somehow the controls remained mystifying to me even after MGS3, which has similar archaic control issues. I got over it after the first few hours, aside from occasionally second-guessing which button I needed to press for particular weapon functions.

This entry features truly excellent sub-boss characters. Betrayals upon betrayals, or should I say unique motivations power the members of the Dead Cell terrorist group. Their fights aren't too bad either, from the dancing and wheeling bomber Fatman to the, er, dancing and jumping immortal Vamp. I beat the final boss on my first try, but I have come to accept MGS final bosses as symbolic rather than challenging.

W6l43TK.gif

Tactical camera angle and radar action

There is variety in the ordinary gameplay too. Traps, swimming (with those shall we say "interesting" controls at work), escort quests, swimming escort quests, all fill in seamlessly with the main sneaking mission. One of my favorite sequences involves the protection of a defenseless VIP crossing a bridge, using only your thermal goggles and sniper rifle.

The environments also enhance the meat of the mission. Because the setting of the Big Shell plant is more contained than MGS3's varying indoor/outdoor locations, the enemy encounters can be closely controlled. Enemies can be placed in just the right spot to catch you if you try to go the easiest route without observing your surroundings. Of course like MGS3, exploration is thoroughly rewarded with extra guns and equipment. I will note that I obtained so many chaff grenades that one series standby, the security camera that triggers an alarm, was never a problem for me even though MGS2 features cameras that can fly around.

KBksHG8.gif

Never fear, you're a ninja with a rocket launcher

There is also a late-game sequence where your character is rendered naked and has to sneak through a stage because he refuses to attack or hang off objects- it would leave his private parts wafting in the breeze. This is accompanied by a series of increasingly alarming-humorous developments on his radio. MGS is best when it has a good sense of humor.

The protagonist this time is neither the Cold War mercenary Big Boss nor the modern agent Solid Snake, but a new operative codenamed Raiden. You might say Raiden is naive compared to either of the previous entities, but he is also a child soldier, raised on a cocktail of conflict in his youth, and virtual training as an adult. Raiden's inability to discern reality from perception is a strong theme for the whole game. It's a very fancy backdrop, very self-aware for a videogame.

adJnLv7.gif

Is it real, or just anime???

As with MGS3, the graphics in MGS2 are crisp and smooth in the HD Collection version for PS3, though I can see that the facial expressions improved between games. MGS always seems to put more effort into the characters than the environments, and it pays off tremendously in the many story scenes the game offers. One of my favorites occurs early on, when a detail (an insect, actually) in a cutscene will stand out to you only if you took the time to closely examine the game's first area.

METAL GEAR SOLID

Original Platform: Playstation :D
My Platform: Playstation 3, digital version from the PSN store
Playtime: 15 hours

JrNgxKe.gif

"Who are you?"
"Neither enemy nor friend."

Let's write a modern sci-fi spy game. There're nukes, bipedal walking tanks, the hottest technology, special forces, terrorists, and a real-live psychic. The story isn't straightforward good-vs-evil. May the best clone win.

Metal Gear Solid follows a single mission: the sneaking invasion of the Shadow Moses nuclear disposal facility by agent Solid Snake. It sets up the pattern for many of the MGS missions that followed it: four terrorists, led by a mysterious figure, and complicated by the efforts of your own allies. And as always, a man codenamed Revolver Ocelot quietly overseeing the affair.

Ocelot is actually your first boss in MGS1. He chases Snake in circles around a prisoner strapped with C4 and hair-trigger wires, trying to ricochet bullets off the wall to hit the agent. He's not particularly effective. In this series, and in this game especially, winning sometimes isn't the point.

zNkMPkW.gif

Now you'll know why they call me...the first boss in the game

The controls are a bit simpler than MGS2 and 3, or maybe it's that after playing both of those entries I was just used to the experiment. Like MGS2, gameplay switches seamlessly between "special" sequences like gas-filled traps, collapsing floors, elevator beat-em-ups, and the main sneaking mission. In this game, cycling back to earlier areas when you get higher level keycards is vital to getting the best equipment. I'm not a big fan of backtracking, but at least the arena of MGS1 is small.

The weapon list is smaller than the later games, but as each weapon possesses a distinct function, this is fine by me. All the weapons are clean and easy to operate, lending themselves to different gameplay situations and styles.

mueh2wk.gif

In an electrified jam? There's an app for that!

Outside of MGS3's Bond-inspired intro song, MGS1 has my favorite music in the series. Soulful tragedy tracks, sharp mechanical action tracks, even some of your radio conversations merit an OST. Graphics are very much a blue and green Silent Hill type. With static PS1 faces, character acting in the cutscenes is accomplished through exaggerated body movements, and it works pretty great.

The bosses are great characters and fun fights, with the highlight for me being Psycho Mantis and his fantasy shenanigans. Between the game itself, the humor, and the drama, you have a very complete experience. Gameplay and story work together, there is no friction. The game is notably easier than any of the sequels: the guards do not panic at the slightest sound, and guard vision is limited to a 2D field. It's dated by today's standards, but still entertaining.

ZFiz6R6.gif

behind you

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE

Platform: PC, using DS4 controller through the Dualshock4Windows program
Playtime: 7 hours

FxuwXGR.gif

"This is my normal. My nature."

Metal Gear Rising is a post-MGS4 hack-and-dasher in which Cyborg Emeritus and MGS2 protagonist Raiden tears up the world in defense of little kids, or America maybe, or is it himself? It comes from Platinum Games, and boasts features like the ability to slice enemies and objects into 700something individual parts. If you want to be Raiden from the MGS4 cutscenes (not the ones where he's having seizures and spitting up artificial blood, but the cool ones) then this is the game. Unlike its close cousin Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising incorporates a few flimsy shades of stealth, letting you escape potentially ruinous encounters by tippy-tapping up behind an enemy and executing a sneak attack, or simply shuffling along inside a cardboard box. Your support radio characters are all utterly pointless, but the game does force you to spend quite a bit of time on the radio with them anyway.

In media we look at the concept of the "unreliable narrator", the idea that the reality presented by a piece of media can be affected by its protagonist's perspective. Metal Gear Rising is the unreliable narrator of the Metal Gear series: I like to think of it as a Raiden-perspective, in that everything Raiden sees and does turns to diamonds and lasers. This isn't to say the Metal Gear Solid entries are especially grounded in reality, but rather that MGR is the same universe viewed as you blast through it with a rocket of anime strapped to your ass. Wheeeeeee!

wj5XZqd.gif

Some bosses come pre-cut for your convenience

The runtime could have been buffed, but you can get some replay value out of it if you are into that sort of thing by transferring upgrades obtained in one playthrough to the next. Raiden's chassis, fuel cells, and weapons can all be upgraded, he can learn new abilities, and he can purchase the weapons of bosses he has killed- as I said, unfortunately there aren't that many bosses in the game. What bosses you do encounter are lots of fun, unique from one to the next, and most of them give a little speech about their motivations and then immediately die by your hand. Do not look for MGS-style character development here.

ub1xoas.jpg

No feels, only aesthetics

The environments are based on MGS's "real world" scenario, so the visual variety that occupies parts of Bayonetta 2 is nowhere to be found in MGR. You will get to see at least a couple MGS4 enemies like gekko reenvisioned, and certainly a lot more fun to fight as a bouncing cyber samurai. Raiden's endgame development in MGS4 is eschewed for more stabbenings (as it was in MGS2 so he could play his MGS4 role), though he does pay lip service to what happened to his wife and kid. Yay? Raiden is lightning, his voice is the increasingly crackly and strained growl of thunder, and his game is wall-to-wall action with little time for anything else.

Also you may or may not get stuck on the final boss for years.

zmROiNk.gif

The right stick controls the angle of your cut in blade mode, pass it on!

THE WHOLE SERIES

There is no one perfect Metal Gear game. The real sticking point is now we know there is never going to be another Metal Gear Solid, at least not in the format where Konami and the director Hideo Kojima worked on it together. MGS4 wrapped up the story, albeit in a sort of slow, lingering tragedy. Meanwhile the link between the protagonist of MGS3/Peace Walker/MGS5, Big Boss, and his future counterpart, Solid Snake, seems like it should have some sort of additional meaning with MGS5, but that really ends up not being the case.

1oPuipN.gif

But let me reiterate what I first said in the MGS3 part: Metal Gear has something for every kind of player. It is worthwhile for anyone to try the series. You will get attached to the characters. And no matter what flaws they have, the Metal Gear Solid games are pretty good.

Jawmuncher

One hell of a write up OP. Glad to see your thoughts after playing all of the mainline titles. I'm with you on MGS4, it's just not a good balance. but it does thankfully pick up as it goes on. Overall I agree with your general final assumption. There's no real "terrible" game and there is really something for just about everyone now. Especially if you count the spin-offs too.

Rembrandt

Banned
really enjoyed reading this and i'm not the biggest MGS fan. MGS2 is still my favorite as a whole, MGS3 is amazing design/concept wise, MGS4 bored me and I gave up, MGS: GZ plays the best and I still think it should have been free or a lot cheaper and I haven't play 5 yet but after playing GZ, I'm looking forward to trying it. I think the series has a lot of faults, controls weird at times, is very weird for the sake of it, has terrible writing but good characters and cutscenes some time, but I don't think any of the games or terrible or even bad.

Bishop89

weird order you played them through, but nice write up.

I recently played through mgs2 + 3 for the first time and it was a very great experience.

I probably still prefer the first one though , followed by 2.

I recently played through mgs2 + 3 for the first time and it was a very great experience.

I probably still prefer the first one though , followed by 2.
This is me. I've recently played 1-3 for the first time, will probably start 4 after taking a bit of a break from the series so I don't get fatigued.

The comment about 1 being easier was a bit strange to me, I found the bosses and sneaking in 1 significantly more challenging than any really memorable parts in 2 or 3. The sneaking in 1 is less complicated but I also feel the game punishes you way harder for getting caught, there were a few sequences in 3 where it felt more like I was playing a shooter when I got caught than a stealth game.

I feel like regen really screwed that up, actually, since before getting caught meant damage you took would be with you until you found/used rations but I was pretty much always at a full health bar in 3. I also liked the creativity of the bosses in the first game that I felt dropped with the arrival of first person aiming, none of the boss fights felt quite as cool.

Still love the series and I'm glad I've become a recent fan, hopefully 4 doesn't disappont me like I know it does a lot of other people here

Raonak

Banned
I'm a huge fan of the series, with MGS4 and 1 being my favs (1 for being amazing, and 4 for the best fanservice i've experienced)

2 and 3 weren't so hot with me initially, 2 for the raiden twist nonsense, and the lack of a satisfying conclusion, and 3 due to cold war era being a turnoff, but I came to love those games in their subsequent playthoughs.

PW, Rising and Acid2 are great games.

MGSV is a great game, but a colossal disappointment. Story is pretty much non-existant so far, which is unfortunate because it's the main thing i come to MGS for. Even the main missions very rarely give you story progression. PW did it a lot better!
Open world actively detracts from the game by making it really repetitive (in addition to having only 2 environments). It feels very soul-less. It's like kojima wanted to make an openworld game, but was forced to use the MGS IP. Not sure if i'll ever bother finishing it.

tcrunch

It's because I didn't realize the HD Collection did not have MGS1 included (if you get the Legacy collection you get a download code for it...), and the HD Collection main screen presents the games in chronological order, so it's MGS3, Peace Walker, MGS2 included. After Peace Walker I figured I would play 4 and 5 because I didn't know what was what. I did play MGS2 and MGS5 sort of simultaneously for a bit.

Then finally I limped to PSN Store and picked up MGS1.

I'm a huge fan of the series, with MGS4 and 1 being my favs (1 for being amazing, and 4 for the best fanservice i've experienced)

2 and 3 weren't so hot with me initially, 2 for the raiden twist nonsense, and the lack of a satisfying conclusion, and 3 due to cold war era being a turnoff, but I came to love those games in their subsequent playthoughs.

PW, Rising and Acid2 are great games.

MGSV is a great game, but a colossal disappointment. Story is pretty much non-existant so far, which is unfortunate because it's the main thing i come to MGS for. Even the main missions very rarely give you story progression. PW did it a lot better!
Open world actively detracts from the game by making it really repetitive (in addition to having only 2 environments). It feels very soul-less. It's like kojima wanted to make an openworld game, but was forced to use the MGS IP. Not sure if i'll ever bother finishing it.

Poor Naomi and Mei Ling in MGS4. Off the radio and onto the fanservice line- it's particularly weird for Naomi since she's giving you all this dire news the whole time.

As far as MGS5's open world...maybe they didn't think Peace Walker's system was "next gen" enough to put on a console. After all, you only get to pick your missions from a list. We need cinematic views of every location! (When we visit it over and over and over again...)

tcrunch

This is me. I've recently played 1-3 for the first time, will probably start 4 after taking a bit of a break from the series so I don't get fatigued.

The comment about 1 being easier was a bit strange to me, I found the bosses and sneaking in 1 significantly more challenging than any really memorable parts in 2 or 3. The sneaking in 1 is less complicated but I also feel the game punishes you way harder for getting caught, there were a few sequences in 3 where it felt more like I was playing a shooter when I got caught than a stealth game.

I feel like regen really screwed that up, actually, since before getting caught meant damage you took would be with you until you found/used rations but I was pretty much always at a full health bar in 3. I also liked the creativity of the bosses in the first game that I felt dropped with the arrival of first person aiming, none of the boss fights felt quite as cool.

Still love the series and I'm glad I've become a recent fan, hopefully 4 doesn't disappont me like I know it does a lot of other people here

I missed this comment. I'm sure that between the first 3 games there is plenty of wiggle room to find certain games more difficult than others. MGS1 had really, really dumb guards (or maybe I had just become a god of stealth heh heh heh...heh no), but I did struggle tremendously with the first battle against Sniper Wolf. I could barely get my rifle out before she shot me and threw off my aim. In the second battle I had the truly amazing idea to just stand behind a block and use my Nikita missiles, and the battle was completely different from what it could have been because of my choice. So yeah, overall I found it simpler, but there were still these moments of genius that I really liked. MGS1 is a good game.

Your other comment brings up another important difference between Peace Walker and MGS5 that I thought to put into my review and then forgot or something, but you are absolutely right re: regen. Regen makes MGS5 more convenient, but removes the tactical choice of having to bring healing items on your limited loadout, ala Peace Walker. Surviving some of the battles in Peace Walker by the skin of my teeth and my few measly bags of tortilla chips was really satisfying. Because MGS5 assumes you want to be out in the field for longer than the length of your mission, it gives you auto-regen instead so you don't have to keep running back to base for supplies. Yet since you also get supply drops, why not keep the item-based healing? Then you might have an incentive to do more stealth-wise than pop out and buzz the guards then hide somewhere while you regen.

Really though, chips, curry, and soda are the GOAT.

I missed this comment. I'm sure that between the first 3 games there is plenty of wiggle room to find certain games more difficult than others. MGS1 had really, really dumb guards (or maybe I had just become a god of stealth heh heh heh...heh no), but I did struggle tremendously with the first battle against Sniper Wolf. I could barely get my rifle out before she shot me and threw off my aim. In the second battle I had the truly amazing idea to just stand behind a block and use my Nikita missiles, and the battle was completely different from what it could have been because of my choice. So yeah, overall I found it simpler, but there were still these moments of genius that I really liked. MGS1 is a good game.

Your other comment brings up another important difference between Peace Walker and MGS5 that I thought to put into my review and then forgot or something, but you are absolutely right re: regen. Regen makes MGS5 more convenient, but removes the tactical choice of having to bring healing items on your limited loadout, ala Peace Walker. Surviving some of the battles in Peace Walker by the skin of my teeth and my few measly bags of tortilla chips was really satisfying. Because MGS5 assumes you want to be out in the field for longer than the length of your mission, it gives you auto-regen instead so you don't have to keep running back to base for supplies. Yet since you also get supply drops, why not keep the item-based healing? Then you might have an incentive to do more stealth-wise than pop out and buzz the guards then hide somewhere while you regen.

Really though, chips, curry, and soda are the GOAT.
Oh man that first battle against Sniper Wolf was so hard, and the second would have been harder if it wasn't for the Nikita missiles. Though I actually ran out of the missiles and used the SAM to finish her off, it was still easier than trying to snipe her. I think because it was simpler control wise it led to much more interesting and creative boss fights, at least imo.

Really entertaining writeup, I don't know if that is what you do, but I'd be interested in reading more of these. I need to finish MGS4 and V, my flaw is that I'm not great at stealth games, and if I get detected I end up restarting the missions over and over and end up not finishing the game.

tcrunch

Really entertaining writeup, I don't know if that is what you do, but I'd be interested in reading more of these. I need to finish MGS4 and V, my flaw is that I'm not great at stealth games, and if I get detected I end up restarting the missions over and over and end up not finishing the game.

That was me on MGS3 when I first started. Not only was I detected but there's multiple phases to alerts? Yikes, it really stressed/bummed me out. Now MGS4 you can choose a lower difficulty and then it doesn't matter if you're spotted or not, but I completely sympathize with the desire to actually be a good sneaking mission agent. MGS5 I mostly just went with the hand I was dealt, though some of the checkpoints on the main missions are just brutal (as in, the checkpoint is at the start of the mission and 10 minutes later you get capped by a sniper and well you're back at the start). It does get better with practice and the sneaking suit technology.

The only other LTTP write-up I have done was almost a year ago, when I did Bayonetta 1 & 2.

OP, if you have a PSP, you should check out the AC!D games some time and if it's just one of them, make it AC!D 2 - great game, that and I actually like it more than most of the mainline Metal Gear games.

tcrunch

OP, if you have a PSP, you should check out the AC!D games some time and if it's just one of them, make it AC!D 2 - great game, that and I actually like it more than most of the mainline Metal Gear games.

I didn't know AC!D existed, but I did see that there was a "Portable Ops" game too. That's a pretty tempting description but alas, I don't own a PSP.

I didn't know AC!D existed, but I did see that there was a "Portable Ops" game too. That's a pretty tempting description but alas, I don't own a PSP.

They really should port them over to something else since they are really good games, like in a collection of some kind, throw Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel in there too (same director as the AC!D games), or at least port that to Nintendo's next console on the Nintendo eShop so that more people can play Shinta Nojiri's Metal Gear games.

the one thing that sort of changed SIDE OPs for me in V was when I started to view them less as side questions with no story, and rather just random world events that happen to be marked on the map for convenience. in the same way you may come across a purse snatcher and have the ability to assist the purse owner in GTA V, you come across prisoners or tanks in MGS V. though it does leave the story even less fleshed out of course, I try to view SIDE OPs in the sense of, what if they weren't even marked on the map? take away just that, and essentially it's just a random spawn system or random world encounter system, and in that way I think I appreciate what it does more.

tcrunch

the one thing that sort of changed SIDE OPs for me in V was when I started to view them less as side questions with no story, and rather just random world events that happen to be marked on the map for convenience. in the same way you may come across a purse snatcher and have the ability to assist the purse owner in GTA V, you come across prisoners or tanks in MGS V. though it does leave the story even less fleshed out of course, I try to view SIDE OPs in the sense of, what if they weren't even marked on the map? take away just that, and essentially it's just a random spawn system or random world encounter system, and in that way I think I appreciate what it does more.

I think my problem with this would be that I had no incentive to wander the environments the game offers, and that at any given time only a subset of the side ops are available, with a lot of empty space between them.

Side ops having no story is no big, that's how it was in Peace Walker.

Top Bottom