• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mad Max (2015) - The Game That Time Forgot. AKA Don't Release Same Day As MGS V.

Don't sleep on this game, definitely worth a play and can be found for next to nothing these days. Tons of cool references to the movies without outright being a shitty mashup of the movies. Your hunchback friend that acts as your vehicle's regenerating health (by turning a single bolt on top of the engine) is a great companion. The driving itself is really good too, to the point I never used fast travel. The on-foot traversal and the fairly repetitive combat both are nothing special but neither are bad. The only major downside to the game is the main story lost my interest towards the end but those missions take up about 1% of the total play time.

i4Odg2v.jpg

6WHUAMy.jpg

ZLxssnx.jpg

ZAjrDDS.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One of the best open-world games ever made. I don't fully understand why it felt soo good to play, but everything simply works. I finished it Twice, have 1000/1000G and hoping for some second deal. Avalanche Sweden are extremely talented.

Wonder why Rage 2 couldn't be more like this game.

GymWolf

I don't know about Italian laws, but yeah, if someone attacks you in Germany, you are supposed to roll over and nicely ask " I understand you are in a difficult situation, but can you please stop?"
Oh in italy anyone can occupy your house when you are out and you can't force them out.

We had romanians immigrants with pregnant women doing this trick multiple time here.

One time a dude had to pay a guy who was robbing his house because the thief felt down into a glass wall and almost lost a leg...

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Oh in italy anyone can occupy your house when you are out and you can't force them out.

We had romanians immigrants with pregnant women doing this trick multiple time here.

One time a dude had to pay a guy who was robbing his house because the thief felt down into a glass wall and almost lost a leg...
Yeah those fucking gypsies are a huge problem in Spain, too. We had an empty house on Tenerife that got occupied by those "ocupas", as we call them. Called a father's friend who was with the Guardia Civil, and him and some other agents went there and... convinced them to move out :messenger_halo: :messenger_fistbump:

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Great engine, ran beautifully on an ancient CPU & Radeon 7970, shame we didn't see much more of it. The game was derivative and repetitive and not really amazing like Mad Max (not that the last movie was as good either) but still pretty cool if you liked batman-esque combat + driving.

Last edited:

M1chl

So germany has shit laws that protect criminals like italy?
"right to live" in here, will get you in trouble whenever you are trying to defend yourself. Remember someone close to where I lived, had a weekend house and it has been constantly rided by thieves, so he installed some trap there, someone got hurt and he ended up in prison. This is the opposite extreme of "justice".

Patrick S.

Banned
"right to live" in here, will get you in trouble whenever you are trying to defend yourself. Remember someone close to where I lived, had a weekend house and it has been constantly rided by thieves, so he installed some trap there, someone got hurt and he ended up in prison. This is the opposite extreme of "justice".

Well, installing traps that can hurt or potentially kill someone is not something I'd consider justified self defense, either, tbh.

M1chl

Well, installing traps that can hurt or potentially kill someone is not something I'd consider justified self defense, either, tbh.
Sure the argument is that, if there would be fire, it could hurt some firefighter or something. I get that, but the situation where victim has to resort to such things, because dickless justice cannot do anything about thieves, because they weren't caught and just punish with harsh sentence victim, does not really seems ok to me either..

Patrick S.

Banned
Sure the argument is that, if there would be fire, it could hurt some firefighter or something. I get that, but the situation where victim has to resort to such things, because dickless justice cannot do anything about thieves, because they weren't caught and just punish with harsh sentence victim, does not really seems ok to me either..

Yeah I know, but life isn't a Home Alone movie :p

I'm fine with beating the burglars with a metal bar if you catch them red handed, but installing dangerous traps is too much, imo.

I know it's late but I just have to chime in for this very definition of underrated, I'll never forgive Jimbo Sterling for ripping on this yet praising the utter shite that is Dragon Age Inquisishit

Chumbucket deserves his own game. Praise be!
Both campaigns of Enslaved kinda feel like something like this.

It is a Wonderful Game, Nice art direction and the highlight to me was the sandstorm omg What a Feeling.

I just wish they had bombastic huge over the top missiona like a Big chase of a War rig and its minions or something like that, All the missions feels short no climax.
It does have chases and some doe have rigs in them,
there's one at the end too

And those aching for a sequel, get Rage 2 like SirKicksalot said, the initial narrative was that Avalanch developed it and pitched it as Mad Max 2 but WB didn't want it, but it has since been changed to id sought Avalanch based on their previous games, which makes less sense.

GymWolf

I know it's late but I just have to chime in for this very definition of underrated, I'll never forgive Jimbo Sterling for ripping on this yet praising the utter shite that is Dragon Age Inquisishit

Both campaigns of Enslaved kinda feel like something like this.

It does have chases and some doe have rigs in them,
there's one at the end too

And those aching for a sequel, get Rage 2 like SirKicksalot said, the initial narrative was that Avalanch developed it and pitched it as Mad Max 2 but WB didn't want it, but it has since been changed to id sought Avalanch based on their previous games, which makes less sense.
I played rage 2 and it really lacks many things that make mad max great, car combat is whatever, atmosphere, art design, story and charas are all inferior, the only good thing is the fps combat, that aspect is very underrated.
Also an extremely short game for being open world.

You would think to hit the same sweet spot but it really didn't.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Game is great. Atmosphere and cars really give it the apocalyptic look you want on a game like this.

Even though lots of the landscape was barren it never felt cheap. Or rarely did, I haven't played it in years. But lots of games deal with desolation; mad Max's actually delivers especially with the written messages you find in the wild. Give an excellent summation of how life turned out that way.

I played rage 2 and it really lacks many things that make mad max great, car combat is whatever, atmosphere, art design, story and charas are all inferior, the only good thing is the fps combat, that aspect is very underrated.
Also an extremely short game for being open world.

You would think to hit the same sweet spot but it really didn't.
You're not wrong though I personally enjoyed it more than Mad Max (specially the improved photo mode), but either way it's the closest we'll get for a long while. As for the gunplay, I've yet to play an FPS that surpasses the first Rage.

Game is great. Atmosphere and cars really give it the apocalyptic look you want on a game like this.

Even though lots of the landscape was barren it never felt cheap. Or rarely did, I haven't played it in years. But lots of games deal with desolation; mad Max's actually delivers especially with the written messages you find in the wild. Give an excellent summation of how life turned out that way.
It's got some nice easter eggs in them too.

GymWolf

You're not wrong though I personally enjoyed it more than Mad Max (specially the improved photo mode), but either way it's the closest we'll get for a long while. As for the gunplay, I've yet to play an FPS that surpasses the first Rage.

It's got some nice easter eggs in them too.
I'm sorry you lost me when photo mode was even a parameter to judge how good a game is:lollipop_grinning_sweat: (joking but not by that much)

Rage 1 gunplay was great (although a bit precanned death animation heavy for my taste) but it is surpassed by now imo, imo rage 2 gunplay is way better, the way you make enemies fly for the impact and the funny exagerated ragdoll, also way better movements, powers and weapons.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
It is a great game, slightly repetetive but got that Mad Max vibe wonderfully - it is even better now with fps boost. It’s funny you mention MGS because in my neck of the woods, Mad Max gets talked about so much more often now.
move to the head then...

I'm sorry you lost me when photo mode was even a parameter to judge how good a game is:lollipop_grinning_sweat: (joking but not by that much)

Rage 1 gunplay was great (although a bit precanned death animation heavy for my taste) but it is surpassed by now imo, imo rage 2 gunplay is way better, the way you make enemies fly for the impact and the funny exagerated ragdoll, also way better movements, powers and weapons.
Yeah photo doesn't impact gameplay really, but you can still enjoy it independently and Rage 2 definitely improved it. And again you're not wrong about gunplay, but to me those animations are the icing, and I the enjoyed cake, the base aiming and shooting mechanisms, better in Rage 1, ofc anyone can enjoy the icing more than the cake, both figuratively and literally.

Philfrag

Banned
Its quite similar to MGSV in some ways. Both big open worlds that are mostly empty that rely mostly on their atmosphere. Both games with a solid gameplay core that's really fun to mess around with but probably overstay their welcome with unnecessary padding in late game. I'm not sure if I like either better, but a lot of my negative opinions about MGSV are related to its context within the larger franchise. Mad Max doesn't come with that baggage so I probably prefer it if I had to choose.

Its quite similar to MGSV in some ways. Both big open worlds that are mostly empty that rely mostly on their atmosphere. Both games with a solid gameplay core that's really fun to mess around with but probably overstay their welcome with unnecessary padding in late game. I'm not sure if I like either better, but a lot of my negative opinions about MGSV are related to its context within the larger franchise. Mad Max doesn't come with that baggage so I probably prefer it if I had to choose.
They're both inspired by Far Cry 2.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mad Max has some of the hardest hitting melee combat around. Landing punches is so satisfying.
Also what the artists managed to do with the setting is very impressive. It’s a gorgeous game.

Otherwise it’s literally open world game 101, following all the open world tropes…and yet still manages to kick ass.

gonna play it on my steam deck once it arrives.

Looking forward to it.
Might not be a good fit. The previous gen version was cancelled because they couldn't make the draw distance work (2+ kilometers with correct sound propagation). It's all about vast deserts with camps and convoys in the distance. That feeling of being alone in a gigantic empty landscape might not translate well to a handheld. There is overwhelming beauty and melancholia in its emptiness.

Top Bottom