• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lupin the 3rd - Princess of the Breeze and the Hidden City in the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always make it a point to watch the yearly Lupin specials. I FINALLY got around to watching this one. It was okay for the most part but the franchise has had better offerings.

The opening sequence was bad ass. The Sky Pirate raid was well executed and exciting. For there it sort of ebbed and flowed. Some parts were good and some were meh, but overall I enjoyed the story. Yutika was a good character and the reveal of what the Soul of Shalhata was was well done.

It's a shame that Fujiko and Goemon got so little screen time (which seems to be the case in these specials lately). When they did show up, they had some great moments. Goemon was probably the biggest scene stealer, with his reoccuring gag of going all the way to japan to get something to chear up the baby. His fight scene at the end was also bad ass.

Jigen, chief bad ass of all of Lupin's friend's, had the coolest scene though. Him turning the one henchman's catch phrase against him was pretty cool to me. "What's the color of your karma, asshole." indeed. Jigen has always been my favorite of the bunch.

Zenigata had a decent outing. HIm rescuing Lupin after their escape was a good moment that only drives home the point that I don't think he really wants to arrest lupin. At least not like that. He wants to catch him in some sort of masterfully crafted trap. Otherwise it wouldn't be fun or something. And of course as always, he arrests the true villain of th story with Lupin's help.

The music was pretty nice. Some ol' smooth stuff they've been using forever, but I'm still digging it. Just wish they wouldn't re-use the same exact theme whenever Zenigata's ugly mug was on the screen (a nice piece, but it was literally recycled one too many times for my taste).

The art style wasn't the greatest, but wasn't overtly bad. It worked. I much prefer the art style from the 2013 special more. This one was a bit too shojoish or something. Sometimes the faces looked REALLY odd. I've always been a fan of the designs that make Goemon look like a sort of wild man though, so that was cool. Environments looked pretty great. Some great design work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom