• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lost Odyssey (7 bucks in the Store, get it!)

Neff

I think it even worse on 360 without the hard drive ?
Probably, 360 disc seek time is not great. IIRC I just installed the whole thing for less insufferable load times.

The true Final Fantasy 13
Remember when Squaresoft said there were no towns in FFXIII because they were too hard to do in HD? Lost Odyssey predated it by two years with some incredible HD towns.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Clearly I'm in the minority here, but the game didn't click with me and I found the artstyle very ugly - understatement. I loved the other RPG exclusive, Blue Dragon much more, even got 1000G on it and must've replayed it twice back then.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not exclusive so you got a limited fan base and launched at arguably one of the best gaming times ever (COD2, Halo 3, Gears of War etc.) the game wasn’t relevant than and isn’t now.

I have the US disc copy displayed in the nice japanese edition's case. Love this game, best (3d, not played 2d) Final fantasy.

Last edited:
The true Final Fantasy 13

I always said this game was more FF13 than FF13 was! Glad to see I'm not alone. I lost it when Jansen first said "Lord eyebrows", such a good character. I'm not one to get too mushy over games and movies but goddamn it did I not tear up during some of those dream stories.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Already entered disc 3.

Its good. I thought the mansion was brilliant. And the experimental staff was another fine dungeon. HD towns, backtrack, everything is in here that Square couldn't pull off with their millions. This game is much better than that trash.

Daymos

I highly agree with MS putting Lost Odyssey on PC!!

I'm a big final fantasy fan and the last xbox I owned was a 360, one day while I was part way through lost odyssey.. I put the disk in and it told me 'please place this disc in an xbox 360 video game system'. This was after I had sent my xbox360 in twice for the red ring of death. The thing that really got me was that I paid $60 for a 3 year replacement policy from microsoft and like a month later they annouced FREE repairs for 3 years.

If I ejected the disk and put it back in like 10 times it would usually stat working, but it was too much. I took the system out back and beat the hell out of it with an axe. Yeah, it was childish, but having a system you buy software for that repeatedly breaks is stressful and annoying.. getting rid of it for good and buying a playstation 3 fixed that problem. I still have that ps3 hooked up to my tv right now and it still works. I still have dragon age and mass effect and oblivion and skyrim (among many others) for the system.. and they all run worse than they did on xbox360, but at least the hardware is alive.

Maybe I'm over that now and I'd consider an xbox series x (nintendo and sony are evil too, I'm aware), but I should probably just stick to pc+switch+sony and let my axe go dull. Now days I'll take things apart and try to repair them, but I highly doubt there was much you could do with the original 360.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Funny thing is blue dragon is better.

Mistwalker made the best modern jrpgs. i have to play the wii ones.

1. classic square
2. sega jrpgs
3. mistwalker.

Both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon should be ported to the PC.

It's a really effing shame that Lost Odyssey never got a sequel. It had a lot going for it, and honestly, given the time and support necessary:

It would have rivaled Final Fantasy by now and maybe then FF would suck a lot less if someone else was competing with them on the AAA jrpg market :/

Neff

Funny thing is blue dragon is better.

Lol no way. I bought both expecting great things and Blue Dragon was a disappointment. Not bad as such, but a disappointment nonetheless.

Lost Odyssey though? Rocked my world.

HD towns, backtrack, everything is in here that Square couldn't pull off with their millions. This game is much better than that trash.
I like FFXIII but it represents Square at their laziest imo. The game took forever to develop and they still couldn't do towns and exploration while everyone else making RPGs at the time managed it just fine. Whenever I think of how the game's development went down I picture Toriyama endlessly taking his legendary cigarette breaks.

Last edited:

Boneless

Cool main character, poor antagonist. Overall, the short stories were better than the overall story, which was a shame.

shoplifter

I downloaded it back when they were giving it away for free on XBL, its in my list of games to play at some point. Heard from many that it is an underappreciated classic.
It’s still worth full price IMO

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't think Blue Dragon is better. When that game came out I still had my 360, I bought it on release as I was dying for a JRPG on that system. It was such a strange game. Lots of potential considering the people behind it but the picture quality was fuzzy and the game lacked color, nothing like DQVIII on PS2. The game had a very boring look which was a shame and that robotic voice telling you stuff. Very odd. Hard mode was very tactical though, but too hard as I had to grind for hours to get past certain parts. Normal was too easy.

But the game did have an overworld, a job system and a lot of stuff I missed back then. I might give it another shot someday, when its discounted. So far I can tell LO is obviously the better game.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

On disc 4, just did the tank in Numara.

Its really easy now. I did some side quests and errands and rocking much more skill slots and pretty much have immunity against everything as well as fire absorb. That made the last few boss battles a joke. It comes down to casting powerus and Combo on the front line. Disc 3 had a very long story driven sequence where your party is split up. This isn't a huge issue, nearly all battles are tailored to it as they're very easy. But there was one fight that was tough, the Ice giant. I could basically only attack with Mack, keeping shield, cover and power up on him as well as curing chill. It doesnt really matter if you didn't level some characters enough. Jansen was 6 levels below Ming and he leveled every battle.

I like the GC system in theory. Normally, in most other RPG, you can't deal much damage to mages in the back line or you can't even target them. In this game you deplete the GC bar by merely damaging the front line and some skills and rings have a boost on GC bar depletion. This means that you can attack the back line without a penalty despite the front line still being in tact. In practice though you're just killing the front line first as in other games, and move on. Some fights however require this mechanic. You actually have to deplete their GC and eventually attack the back line as the front line spawns infinite enemies. But there aren't a lot of them. This also works the other way around, but mostly I felt its useless to restore my GC instead of healing, buffing or casting shield.

Another thing that doesn't seem to be effective are debuffs. They rarely stick so I generally don't bother. Rings are only useful on your 2 or 3 attackers. though you can set sleep or petrify rings on mages for the odd time you just do a regular attack with them. I don't think there are rings that buff magic damage which is kind of odd. Steal is also useless and hardly works until you get a Burglar Ring thats basically a steal during a strike. The good thing is you can switch out equipment during the fight, without losing a turn.

There just aren't many skills. You're mostly doing either regular attack or combo with your front line, and your backline throws the correct elemental magic, or buffs and heals. FFX wasn't really different I guess. In the end all you did was quick hit, while having auto potion, haste etc on your armor. But until the post-game grind I used quite a lot of different stuff and limit breaks.

But LO is very addicting, very well made. The towns, dungeons, music... they're all great. Jansen is golden, when he says he thinks its sick that some old guy called a young woman his mother I cracked up. No one else reacts to those events, but he's like the viewer. I think this game might be the best JRPG of the 360 gen, i'd say its on par with the better FF games even. I agree with posters saying that if this was FFXIII, it would've been a respected entry in the series (though it would need to be spiced up a bit in terms of combat, FF games bar IX are generally quicker and have more flash).

SkylineRKR

I always get lost odyssey and last remnant confused with each other.

Last Remnant is brilliant as well. Its unique and I see it as a SaGa game, but one I could actually beat lol. Its also kind of reminiscent of FFXII. Last Remnant has complete towns and areas you will never see if you don't unlock the quest attached to it. The combat is great, at least in the remaster with turbo mode. On 360 like LO it was very rough but the remaster was worth it imo.

Last Remnant is brilliant as well. Its unique and I see it as a SaGa game, but one I could actually beat lol. Its also kind of reminiscent of FFXII. Last Remnant has complete towns and areas you will never see if you don't unlock the quest attached to it. The combat is great, at least in the remaster with turbo mode. On 360 like LO it was very rough but the remaster was worth it imo.
I'm yet to play that one.

I remember reviews weren't kind to it, but it was mostly because of the state of the unreal engine 3 build at the time.

SkylineRKR

Beat the game. The final bosses were cake because I did some side questing. Get immunity to all statuses and some elemental absorb and you basically can not lose.

Its a great game, but its not perfect. The combat is on the slow side, and rather shallow. You see, you basically have 2 attackers that do exactly the same things. And 2 mages that do exactly the same things. They have no unique skills or dedicated roles. DQ and FFX do this much better for most of the game. You also have some mortals but they're useless, though they're the ones who bring some unique skills the immortals can learn from them. Which is the only reason you should use them from time to time. But you end up with both attackers learning Combo etc, so they stay carbon copies of eachother. You'll cast shield, powerup, combo throughout the game with the occasional heal and spells. Negative statuses aren't needed and barely work anyway. I never used them. With dedicated roles the combat would've been much better.

OST is great, characters are good, story is decent enough. Dreams are excellent. Its still a must play for fans of classic JRPG. Its the Gooch and Uematsu!

Top Bottom