• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lost Odyssey (7 bucks in the Store, get it!)

SkylineRKR

07mTHpdfrUMyEt9wp5ZWBjN-1.1569485333.fit_lim.size_1600x900.jpg

So yeah i've been eyeing this game ever since I got my Series. I heard good things about it and I sold my 360 right before this game came out. But I know on 360 the performance etc wasn't ideal. On the later Xbox consoles its been sound though, with minimal loading and a good framerate. If you have Gold its like 6 or 7 bucks. No reason to skip it now!

I've been playing a good few hours and I love it. Lost Odyssey takes a lot of cues from FFX, it has the same level layout and the progression is identical. The soundtrack by Uematsu is brilliant. I also like the combat. Its turn based, with some involvement due to the ring system which I like. You can craft rings that enhance elemental attack, or add poison. And releasing R2 at the right time initiates a perfect which yields better results. Kaim and Seth are immortals, which means they can't die (you do get game overs if all are wiped out, but they eventually self res if one in your party still stands). This means you don't always have to waste revive on them, but rather keep your other members healthy. Their drawback is that they cannot learn spells on their own, mortals can and they have to inherit them from mortals via skill link or use/learn(?) via accessories ala FFIX.

I was breezing through until I encountered the first boss, he curb stomped me. I had to grind a few levels and adapt (I soundly beat him at 14, by keeping Jansen alive and throwing Flares). This is an old school RPG! So lesson learnt; grind a bit in each area. I do know there is a cap. But, you won't be warped back to a save point, you just restart next to the boss and can walk away to level up first and you can skip cutscenes. At first I was frustrated as bosses seem to be far more difficult than trash mob before them but in the end there always seem to be tools around to win. For example, I was stuck at the ghost town boss, but in the end I never grinded a level, I opened the weapon shop (wtf is it hidden?) that gave me more attack power and better rings. I could win that fight suddenly. The boss before that required the Yellow band skill on the party to make it doable, and that item is found right before it. I think, after the likes of FFVII R and all I was kinda longing for a classic RPG. They don't make em like this anymore.

Story is fine. You're set on a travel to inspect the grand staff that gives great beneficial powers but recently causes havoc accross the world. I don't know if Jansen would fly in todays cancel culture though, he's kind of into the ladies. I like his banter with Seth. The game has some tear jerkers, such as

Kaim finally meeting his daughter after he thought she fell to her death, only to see she's on her death bed.

But whats really powerful are the dreams. Kaim is an ancient guy, and his curse is that everyone around him gets old and dies. So he's seen lots of shit.

All in all I couldn't stop playing, I wonder where it goes and what it has in store for me. Excellent game!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
07mTHpdfrUMyEt9wp5ZWBjN-1.1569485333.fit_lim.size_1600x900.jpg

So yeah i've been eyeing this game ever since I got my Series. I heard good things about it and I sold my 360 right before this game came out. But I know on 360 the performance etc wasn't ideal. On the later Xbox consoles its been sound though, with minimal loading and a good framerate. If you have Gold its like 6 or 7 bucks. No reason to skip it now!

I've been playing a good few hours and I love it. Lost Odyssey takes a lot of cues from FFX, it has the same level layout and the progression is identical. The soundtrack by Uematsu is brilliant. I also like the combat. Its turn based, with some involvement due to the ring system which I like. You can craft rings that enhance elemental attack, or add poison. And releasing R2 at the right time initiates a perfect which yields better results. Kaim and Seth are immortals, which means they can't die (you do get game overs if all are wiped out, but they eventually self res if one in your party still stands). This means you don't always have to waste revive on them, but rather keep your other members healthy. Their drawback is that they cannot learn spells on their own, mortals can and they have to inherit them from mortals via skill link or use/learn(?) via accessories ala FFIX.

I was breezing through until I encountered the first boss, he curb stomped me. I had to grind a few levels and adapt (I soundly beat him at 14, by keeping Jansen alive and throwing Flares). This is an old school RPG! So lesson learnt; grind a bit in each area. I do know there is a cap. But, you won't be warped back to a save point, you just restart next to the boss and can walk away to level up first and you can skip cutscenes. At first I was frustrated as bosses seem to be far more difficult than trash mob before them but in the end there always seem to be tools around to win. For example, I was stuck at the ghost town boss, but in the end I never grinded a level, I opened the weapon shop (wtf is it hidden?) that gave me more attack power and better rings. I could win that fight suddenly. The boss before that required the Yellow band skill on the party to make it doable, and that item is found right before it. I think, after the likes of FFVII R and all I was kinda longing for a classic RPG. They don't make em like this anymore.

Story is fine. You're set on a travel to inspect the grand staff that gives great beneficial powers but recently causes havoc accross the world. I don't know if Jansen would fly in todays cancel culture though, he's kind of into the ladies. I like his banter with Seth. The game has some tear jerkers, such as

Kaim finally meeting his daughter after he thought she fell to her death, only to see she's on her death bed.

But whats really powerful are the dreams. Kaim is an ancient guy, and his curse is that everyone around him gets old and dies. So he's seen lots of shit.

All in all I couldn't stop playing, I wonder where it goes and what it has in store for me. Excellent game!
Thanks 🙏, nice £15 Xbox LIVE Gold discount!!!

SkylineRKR

It's a crime that Microsoft owns this IP and does nothing with it...

Seriously Microsoft, how about a Remaster? Game was made with Unreal engine, it shouldn't be that hard to remaster.

Agreed. While the game runs fine on Series, the textures aren't great. FFX HD looks better. This game would benefit from a graphical boost as the art direction is there, locations such as Numara would really benefit from it.

Mohonky

Great stories (the memories?) in that game. I remember really enjoying it, and the release commercial was amazing.

Mr.ODST

Lost Odyssey is one of the best JRPG's I have ever played, people slept on this too much, such a gem.

Worth every penny if you can get it or check your Gamepass Rewards, you can easily get enough to get some Credit and pay for it through that!

Fitzchiv

Lost Odyssey is basically the game the Final Fantasy series could have had if it didn't start sticking its head up its arse for a while. Not sure based on the story what more could be done with the IP though, but I'm confident if they were looking to resurrect it it'd be hugely well received.

Neff

This game is everything I wanted FFX to be and wished FF in general still was. Absolutely incredible RPG.

I legitimately feel like Microsoft is missing a terrific opportunity to sell this to a market which would vastly appreciate it more by not porting it to Switch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lost Odyssey is basically the game the Final Fantasy series could have had if it didn't start sticking its head up its arse for a while. Not sure based on the story what more could be done with the IP though, but I'm confident if they were looking to resurrect it it'd be hugely well received.

Nah, the visual novel bits are well written, but the rest of the game is just a worse retread of FFVIII.

The battle system is dull as dishwater and despite the interesting themes explored in the flashbacks, the actual plot is unimaginative and pedestrian. Its just kinda basic, if pretty for its time. I've never understood why some people rate it so highly.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I am missing one achievement, the one where you have to have every item in the game. I'm literally missing ONE item, it's infuriating even 13 years later.

I'd love to play through it again one day, but it'd need a remaster.

Bought it last night since the sale was about to end ;)
Shame that it's not X enhanced, lots of jaggies everywhere (shadows also look weird and shimmer), what i wouldn't give for a 4K@60fps treatment like ala Ninja Gaiden 2...

PS : I've read that the game still has some crashes on the 3rd (or is it 4th?) disc section, is that true ?

VanEs

This game was actually free to download for a very short time. I played it on xbox 360 and it's a very competent jrpg. So if you like traditional jrpg games 7 bucks is nothing. Get it.

I absolutely adore Lost Odyssey! I still have the original Xbox 360 case that came with 4 freaking disks inside. The story is amazing, the characters are great and the gameplay is solid. A Thousand Years of Dreams has some tearjerkers on them. Also Jansen rules, the best is still to come in terms of comedy, creepiness and character growth. Enjoy it OP!

Neff

So if you like traditional jrpg games 7 bucks is nothing. Get it.
When I first got my 360 (very late to the party in 2012), I bought it on a whim, factory sealed, knowing nothing about it, for almost nothing. For a Final Fantasy fan, it was christmas come early.

shit, my bad. why does it feel like a square enix game?
Microsoft was once, believe it or not, dead serious about making 360 succeed in Japan. Their impressive strategy to make this work involved offering several high-profile members of the Final Fantasy team their own studio and a ton of cash, with the proviso they make Final Fantasy, but call it something else. Lost Odyssey is highly reminiscent of the PSone era FF games in the way that it's structured and utilises its presentation.

*load times video*
I should get a Series X

Last edited:

Graciaus

Pretty sure I have the digital version for free. Not sure if I still own my physical copy.

Would buy it again on pc.

Completed my playthough on the Xbox 360 a few months ago with all achievements. For some reason I always stopped at Disc 4 (twice), but I finally managed to get through it all and I'm glad I did. Such an underrated gem that holds up really well, definitely give it a chance.

Aldynes

Game is very good, it lacks 2 things in my opinion, something akin to summons (game lacks WOW stuff) and a better character design for the cast (enemy design is top notch though)

It was harshly received by the press and medias back then (2008?), poor performance on the 360, everyone was still hyped for FF 13 and Lost Odyssey was "too classic".

Looking back, it's for me the closest thing to a real Final Fantasy we've had since FFX, the game is fun with great atmosphere and music and the capabilities you learn trough the game are enough to make you feel very damn overpowered, the side quest rewards you with great items each time, the opening is GOAT, music contains some bangers.

On the ONE X or Series the game is smooth, all the framerate drops are gone.

Fbh

Still feels like the real FFXIII to me.
I do think in some aspects it went a bit too traditional, like the random encounters. But overall a very fun game.

Also some of the best work by Uematsu IMO.

Other JRPG's wish their final boss music was as good as the regular battle theme in LO:

Last edited:
This was a great game. It's a shame Xbox gave up on its goals to make the Xbox a great home for JRPGs. Apparently, this and Blue Dragon did not meet expectations and they threw in the towel.

I'd love to see these two games get a port to Switch.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
When I first got my 360 (very late to the party in 2012), I bought it on a whim, factory sealed, knowing nothing about it, for almost nothing. For a Final Fantasy fan, it was christmas come early.

Microsoft was once, believe it or not, dead serious about making 360 succeed in Japan. Their impressive strategy to make this work involved offering several high-profile members of the Final Fantasy team their own studio and a ton of cash, with the proviso they make Final Fantasy, but call it something else. Lost Odyssey is highly reminiscent of the PSone era FF games in the way that it's structured and utilises its presentation.

I should get a Series X
I think it even worse on 360 without the hard drive ?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really liked the overworld map and how you got to progress. It really made me think Final Fantasy was going to turn out different, but nope.

If this game had final fantasy in the title it would be considered an all time classic
If this hadn't been locked to a console where few people play JRPGs, it'd be more well regarded. Not sure it's "all-time classic" level quality though.

The game didn't sell well, despite having a following (of which, I was a part of).

stn

I downloaded it back when they were giving it away for free on XBL, its in my list of games to play at some point. Heard from many that it is an underappreciated classic.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

The battle loading times were fucking atrocious on 360 even after they updated the OS to allow you to install the complete game to a HDD.

And it’s still horrible on the Series. ~12 seconds from when the transition starts before you can input a command.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Game is very good, it lacks 2 things in my opinion, something akin to summons (game lacks WOW stuff) and a better character design for the cast (enemy design is top notch though)

It was harshly received by the press and medias back then (2008?), poor performance on the 360, everyone was still hyped for FF 13 and Lost Odyssey was "too classic".

Looking back, it's for me the closest thing to a real Final Fantasy we've had since FFX, the game is fun with great atmosphere and music and the capabilities you learn trough the game are enough to make you feel very damn overpowered, the side quest rewards you with great items each time, the opening is GOAT, music contains some bangers.

On the ONE X or Series the game is smooth, all the framerate drops are gone.
I was hyped as hell for this game but ended up very disappointed. The gameplay was just so slow and boring. Loading times + battle animations were so slow and tedious, it felt like a punishment any time you got into a battle.

seems like even the biggest fans of this game say that the best part is Kaim’s memories. So I guess if you want to play a JRPG where the best part is reading some short stories that are unrelated to the plot of the game, go for it.

Aldynes

I was hyped as hell for this game but ended up very disappointed. The gameplay was just so slow and boring. Loading times + battle animations were so slow and tedious, it felt like a punishment any time you got into a battle.

seems like even the biggest fans of this game say that the best part is Kaim’s memories. So I guess if you want to play a JRPG where the best part is reading some short stories that are unrelated to the plot of the game, go for it.
The game pacing is slow, combat were much slower than now due to loading times and original Xbox 360 framerate, i hate Kaim memories i skip them every time you are right fans praise them and it's one of the few thing that is original about the game, for me personally it's all about the heroes being immortal that made the game original.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Holy shit I loved this game. I still have my original discs so I can back-compat it.

Some of those stories, though, I don't know that my heart can handle it.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's on sale on the US store? Seeing it at full price. Did the sale end? I'd like to buy it digital so I have a surefire way to keep playing it (in case my discs ever break)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Sale price can be removed from the OP then. I lucked out I guess. Bought it this weekend.

So i'm on disc 2 now. Crimson Forest was easy, and the boss was also easy though I first struck the kid down, Jansen said it ffs!.Put him on sleep, doesn't always stick on the next round but when it does, you can hammer the boss for a whole round. He was piss easy anyway.

Soundtrack remains powerful, and the story is interesting enough still. The idea that children of Kaim look older than him and die before him is weird and original.

I think this game could've used some Legend of Dragoon combat for melee fighters. The ring system is there. Though that game destroyed my thumb.

SkylineRKR

If this game had final fantasy in the title it would be considered an all time classic

idk. The original release was kind of rough. As dull as FFXIII is, that game was polished to a tee. Ran excellent on PS3, had fast combat etc. Its clear that LO was made on a tighter budget. But if the game had SE's backing and was called FF, it would've been technically better, combat would've been faster and surely a well liked entry as its a much better game than the XIII saga.

That worm boss made me put the game down at first, total bs.

Hardest boss of disc 1 by far. Its kinda RNG, but with a bit of grinding, and learn Anti paralysis on both Kaim and Seth made the battle manageable. I think Aqua ring also helps (the boss is weak to it), or a ring whatever the little fucks were weak to. You need to kill a few them and hope they don't charge, the boss hardly gets MP that way, and then use Aqua on him. The second one starts fully powered up so you need to defend first round. I beat him rather easily with the right setup and keeping my health in check. The game is kind of tactical.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Holy shit I loved this game. I still have my original discs so I can back-compat it.

Some of those stories, though, I don't know that my heart can handle it.

Edit: Doesn't look like it's on sale on the US store? Seeing it at full price. Did the sale end? I'd like to buy it digital so I have a surefire way to keep playing it (in case my discs ever break)
Sucker :messenger_ok: :messenger_blowing_kiss: :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
Top Bottom