• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Last of us part 2 (SPOILERS)

kikkis

Finally finished this game after taking month hiatus from playing this game. Which I guess already sums lot of about I felt or more like didn't feel like about the game. My minor grievances already start with the naming of the title, it feels like ordinary naming of just tlou 2, just wouldn't be enough in the minds of the creators, for such an extraordinary title, so they just had to name it tlou part II.

For the story, which took me 15 hours to finish according to save file, I can't say I really enjoyed it. Neither was gameplay which i get to later, so one might wonder why I even bothered to play the game after awhile. Mostly it was just sunk cost fallacy, and hoping it might get better by giving the game a chance. For some elements like weed, superficial on-off relationships, bigots, many lbqt's and so on, while they don't bother me in principle whatsoever, it felt like these elements didn't improve the story one bit, but where there solely to signal the virtues of the creators. Characters didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense in terms of motivations and, while some were superficially nice behaving, like Owen, Abby and Ellie, their actions were really despicable most of the time. And yes having sensible, relatable chars is important to me in a story.

Gameplay however bothered me even more since that's what I usually play games for since stories are rarely any good in video games like in this case too. My biggest problem was the poor aiming controls, you really had to be surgical with right stick to make it even hit the body. That to me just isn't fun. I mean I get why developers made it that way. If aiming was as fast and smooth as let say call of duty, then it would make encounters pretty trivial and make the game shorter. However on my case this design backfired and made the game even shorter, since on pretty much every possible encounter my tactic was just to run to next hold Y to proceed door. Controls were also convoluted in terms of mapping. I never crafted anything other health packs, cause that would have slowed down the gameplay for me, both from crafting and having to juggle with that dpad menu. There was also so many nooks and crannies that I didnt bother to loot any of them since none of the upgrades, pills or screws didn't seem interesting at all.

Visually game was good, and there was some cool setpieces like that horse ride on island.

My central contention regarding TLOU2 is if the primary component - narrative - is faulty, it bogs down every other accomplishment.

I can’t get past Abby’s overuse as a playable character. None of the people around her garner any emotional connection from me and it just hurts knowing there was likely a far better story to be told than what we got.

Portraying sex in videogames took a step forward. So, yay?

wolywood

Now that I think about it, smoking weed still being treated like some subversive experience was a bizarre narrative choice. Once civilization completely collapses I doubt anyone would give a fuck about upholding drug laws.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It sounds like you played on easy or normal which is basically easy 2. You didn't craft a single thing but health? Is this how haters play this shit? And then complain about bad gameplay? You didn't experience the fucking awesome brutality of the homemade nail bombs, the nail bats, etc. Literally went through the whole game without crafting anything but health, and played on easy... come on. This game needs to be played on hard or survivor to be played right. And you have to craft shit. This is one game where the difficulty changes the entire aspect of the gameplay and goes from good to industry leading. Your opinions of the devs putting weed, LGBT, relationships, etc in the game as "virtue signaling" is silly also. It all had its place in the game. Its the most mature story ever told in a AAA game, and also the biggest risk ever in a AAA game. Needs to be appreciated and respected.

Still have yet to see any good, valid, legit criticism of this game.. bad controls? Like What? This is literally the most customizable and accessible game ever.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Now that I think about it, smoking weed still being treated like some subversive experience was a bizarre narrative choice. Once civilization completely collapses I doubt anyone would give a fuck about upholding drug laws.

Well, since it follows the timeline of the original game none of the legal relaxation about usage and possession of weed would have been instituted when the outbreak began. Not to mention that the owner of the weed farm is described as being an older dude who might have kept it all on the down-low out of habit.

Still kinda puzzled by how anyone would think its inclusion as virtue-signalling. The sequence is basically functional; its just what Ellie is distracted by at the time Joel gets bushwhacked. But then again, almost everything that people complain about in the game does actually serve a plot function. TLOU2 is not a preachy game in my opinion, in actuality it mostly just lets events play out somewhat neutrally and lets the viewer judge for him/herself.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I think the 'woke' stuff absolutely negatively affects the game, as it's bound to, because it's dogma. And dogmatic people are unlikely to write good and interesting characters.

I'm not sure if this is a new observation, but one of the worst aspects of PC media is how humourless and unlikeable the characters it creates are. I suppose they take after their writers.

Ellie is just a whiny, sullen, teenager, effectively. I can imagine her reporting transphobes on Resetera. Dina is smug and self-satisfied. Abby grumpy and charmless. The less said about Mel and Owen the better - they remind of assistant professors in a sociology department or something.

And they couldn't even resist throwing in a transsexual and the religious bigots who hate him.

Honestly, just fuck off with this shit.

If your politics are this conventional and boring you've probably got no right to be in a creative position anyway.

It was a massive let down, i mean i still have to finish it but after several hours i just found my self hating the story and what was happening................. will finish it sometime next year when i am done with 2077.

Hunnybun

Well, since it follows the timeline of the original game none of the legal relaxation about usage and possession of weed would have been instituted when the outbreak began. Not to mention that the owner of the weed farm is described as being an older dude who might have kept it all on the down-low out of habit.

Still kinda puzzled by how anyone would think its inclusion as virtue-signalling. The sequence is basically functional; its just what Ellie is distracted by at the time Joel gets bushwhacked. But then again, almost everything that people complain about in the game does actually serve a plot function. TLOU2 is not a preachy game in my opinion, in actuality it mostly just lets events play out somewhat neutrally and lets the viewer judge for him/herself.

It's INCREDIBLY preachy about "the cycle of violence".

Unbelievably crude writing.

kikkis

It sounds like you played on easy or normal which is basically easy 2. You didn't craft a single thing but health? Is this how haters play this shit? And then complain about bad gameplay? You didn't experience the fucking awesome brutality of the homemade nail bombs, the nail bats, etc. Literally went through the whole game without crafting anything but health, and played on easy... come on. This game needs to be played on hard or survivor to be played right. And you have to craft shit. This is one game where the difficulty changes the entire aspect of the gameplay and goes from good to industry leading. Your opinions of the devs putting weed, LGBT, relationships, etc in the game as "virtue signaling" is silly also. It all had its place in the game. Its the most mature story ever told in a AAA game, and also the biggest risk ever in a AAA game. Needs to be appreciated and respected.

Still have yet to see any good, valid, legit criticism of this game.. bad controls? Like What? This is literally the most customizable and accessible game ever.
I explained in op that swapping items and creating items behind cover would have just slowed the pacing of the gameplay. along with having to loot even more. I played on moderate for what it is worth, but i disagree on having customizations for various aspects of difficulty, it's not my job to find balance of different difficulty settings, it's the game developers job.

I think game designers should balance one setting for fun and challenge for majority of players and drop easy for those who don't care about challenge and optionally one hard setting for hard core players.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the 'woke' stuff absolutely negatively affects the game, as it's bound to, because it's dogma. And dogmatic people are unlikely to write good and interesting characters.

I'm not sure if this is a new observation, but one of the worst aspects of PC media is how humourless and unlikeable the characters it creates are. I suppose they take after their writers.

Ellie is just a whiny, sullen, teenager, effectively. I can imagine her reporting transphobes on Resetera. Dina is smug and self-satisfied. Abby grumpy and charmless. The less said about Mel and Owen the better - they remind of assistant professors in a sociology department or something.

And they couldn't even resist throwing in a transsexual and the religious bigots who hate him.

Honestly, just fuck off with this shit.

If your politics are this conventional and boring you've probably got no right to be in a creative position anyway.

Its a game about bloody vengeance for the murder of patriarchal figures. That doesn't seem terribly "woke" to me, or an ideal basis for light humor either.

And no, it doesn't preach about the cycle of violence at all. Noone in the game ever speechifies about it. It just plays out, and we the player are left to judge what its all supposed to mean.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Its a game about bloody vengeance for the murder of patriarchal figures. That doesn't seem terribly "woke" to me, or an ideal basis for light humor either.

Yes but the wokeness being incidental to the story doesn't mean it's not there. It is there and I did find it intrusive.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes but the wokeness being incidental to the story doesn't mean it's not there. It is there and I did find it intrusive.

You found it intrusive I suspect because your personal viewpoints and politics align with an anti-SJW position. Nothing wrong with that, I personally despise the current fad for identity politics, but by the same token I also despise their right-wing counterparts who are just as reactionary and hypervigilant about its inclusion.

If you step back and look without prejudice, its actually not nearly as preachy as a lot of people would have you believe. Hell, even Critical Drinker had to admit it was dealt with less heavy-handedly than he expected.

xrnzaaas

I will agree with some of the previous posts that both games need to be played on hard or higher. You're losing a lot of immersion and fun factor when you don't have to count bullets and think about when to use up remaining crafting supplies.

Fake

The story is by far the worst of the ND history, but I have to disagree about the gameplay. Was a step foward UC4 and the first TLOUS.
If ND want to make a new IP they could get pieces of the gameplay, maybe leaving the crafting system.

TLOUSpart2 still have a horrible pacing, even much worst than UC4.

Just be careful with TLOUS fans, they don't take critics very well.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

You found it intrusive I suspect because your personal viewpoints and politics align with an anti-SJW position. Nothing wrong with that, I personally despise the current fad for identity politics, but by the same token I also despise their right-wing counterparts who are just as reactionary and hypervigilant about its inclusion.

If you step back and look without prejudice, its actually not nearly as preachy as a lot of people would have you believe. Hell, even Critical Drinker had to admit it was dealt with less heavy-handedly than he expected.

I agree that the heavy-handedness is mainly in the core cycle of violence theme.

But the other stuff adds up to an unnecessary irritation, for me anyway.

The town bigot. The lesbians. The girl being stronger than men. The religious bigots. The transsexual.

I'm just sick of this shit, regardless of how subtle it is.

Fuck off with it. It's the opposite of art.

Represent.

I explained in op that swapping items and creating items behind cover would have just slowed the pacing of the gameplay. along with having to loot even more. I played on moderate for what it is worth, but i disagree on having customizations for various aspects of difficulty, it's not my job to find balance of different difficulty settings, it's the game developers job.

I think game designers should balance one setting for fun and challenge for majority of players and drop easy for those who don't care about challenge and optionally one hard setting for hard core players.
I'm sorry but you cant play a game like this without crafting anything on normal difficulty and then complain about bad gameplay and expect to be taken seriously.

Thats like playing GTA without ever going on a killing spree and never getting 5 Stars and saying its boring. The crafting was expertly handled, it doesn't ruin the pacing.

Last edited:

Fake

I agree that the heavy-handedness is mainly in the core cycle of violence theme.

Many games had take this cycle of violence theme much better than TLOUSpar2. In fact, IMO the director use this as an excuse all the time for promove Abby.
OK about the lesson given, revenge is bad and blablabla, but making Ellie look like shit just to make safety zone for Abby in the sequel was a bad ideia.

As much as fans are saying the worst part of the game is the
beach fight
, for me is the
theater fight with force you to use Abby to 'kill Ellie?'
. I really hated that.

Hunnybun

I'm sorry but you cant play a game like this without crafting anything on normal difficulty and then complain about bad gameplay and expect to be taken seriously.

Thats like playing GTA without ever going on a killing spree and never getting 5 Stars and saying its boring. The crafting was expertly handled, it doesn't ruin the pacing.

It's a fair point though that the game should be balanced well enough that it's fully enjoyable on Normal for an average player.

Fake

Depends. If he never played the first TLOUS, why he can't complain about this?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Gameplay however bothered me even more since that's what I usually play games for since stories are rarely any good in video games like in this case too. My biggest problem was the poor aiming controls, you really had to be surgical with right stick to make it even hit the body. That to me just isn't fun.

I never crafted anything other health packs, cause that would have slowed down the gameplay for me, both from crafting and having to juggle with that dpad menu. There was also so many nooks and crannies that I didnt bother to loot any of them since none of the upgrades, pills or screws didn't seem interesting at all.

So you talk about having to get off a good shot and you didn't upgrade your weapons? Aiming becomes easier when you....................upgrade.

kikkis

So you talk about having to get off a good shot and you didn't upgrade your weapons? Aiming becomes easier when you....................upgrade.
Imo, if gameplay isn't fun without upgrades, then i don't think its particularly good game design. Does upgrading really change aim assist though, I thought it mainly adjusted bloom, rof and ads speed.

Represent.

It's a fair point though that the game should be balanced well enough that it's fully enjoyable on Normal for an average player.
It is well balanced. But the true experience lies on hard/survivor + crafting.

This goes for any modern game since the PS3 era. :messenger_neutral:

Anyone who's been gaming for years, and has good experience playing 3rd person shooters, should be playing games on hard to experience an actual challenge...modern "normal" is easy mode for people with gaming experience.

Represent.

He literally went through the entire game only crafting health :messenger_poop::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_poop:
Im convinced these dudes go into the game wanting to hate it. no other explanation

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Imo, if gameplay isn't fun without upgrades, then i don't think its particularly good game design. Does upgrading really change aim assist though, I thought it mainly adjusted bloom, rof and ads speed.

If it's not fun, then that's your personal problem.

However, you're talking about poor controls and the game is designed to improve gunplay/aiming as you upgrade.

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought the gameplay was awesome and am really disappointed that there wasn't a Factions mode included at launch.

In terms of story it went on for too long and made some disappointing narrative choices but I enjoyed the gameplay enough that it didn't really bother me.

We need Factions 2 ASAP though because the base gameplay was quality. Some of the most intense shoot outs this gen.

Represent.

Yes, upgrading your weapon literally changes how it aims and shoots. Theres less swaying, steadier holding, faster firing, everything.
You can put nails on pipes, bats, craft motolovs, etc. When you hit a motherfucker with a upgraded pipe, skin particles get left on the wall, teeth get knocked out. Its fucking brutal and manly. Upgrading completely changes the gameplay...
lord

Last edited:
The gameplay was good but everything else the force woke stuff can just fuck off,it felt so forced and out of placed I wanted to vomit while playing it

kikkis

That's so dumb man. It's like complaining an RPG is unfun because you stayed on level one the whole time, and never added anyone to your party.
But this isn't RPG, is it? And no I haven't even played RPG that I liked that wasn't fun from the get go.

Upgrading to me in this game just doesn't feel integral to the experience, at least when you look at what was available as upgrades.

Last edited:
Abby's half of the game was where things really went off the rails. None of it was interesting or engaging, and some of it was just straightforwardly bizarre. I keep going back to how Lev decided she was a boy in order to get out of an arranged marriage to one of her cult leaders, and the narrative just keeps insisting that she's definitely 100% a boy now (and even symbolically kills her mother for not believing her). It's like Druckmann and co didn't even realize that by portraying Lev's "gender transition" as a reaction to her oppressive and patriarchal upbringing rather than something innate to her personality they were undermining their own insistence that she was immutably trans. This sort of "trans narrative" is going to age very poorly - in ten or twenty years we'll look back on it like we currently look back on all the excessively patriotic schlock produced during the second Bush administration.

It would have been much more interesting if the game had actually offered a nuanced portrayal of a post-apocalyptic world in which it's not uncommon for women to try to pretend to be men as a means of self-defense. There are real-life parallels they could draw on, like the Albanian "sworn virgins" who live their entire lives as men. But the idea that the late-2010s upper middle class millennial American woke consensus on transgender is going to survive the total collapse of civilization is absolutely laughable.

Also could someone please tell me how to turn off email notifications whenever I post in a thread without having to do it manually?

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Many games had take this cycle of violence theme much better than TLOUSpar2. In fact, IMO the director use this as an excuse all the time for promove Abby.
OK about the lesson given, revenge is bad and blablabla, but making Ellie look like shit just to make safety zone for Abby in the sequel was a bad ideia.

As much as fans are saying the worst part of the game is the
beach fight
, for me is the
theater fight with force you to use Abby to 'kill Ellie?'
. I really hated that.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I never really liked how angry she was with Joel for saving her from being murdered lol.

Like, I get it: she was immune and maybe they could have made a cure. And that's a big deal.

But is that how someone normal would react to that situation? It's kind of hard to relate to because it's SO outside of normal experience. And that might just be a fundamental problem with the story.

How would I feel in that situation? I have absolutely no idea. Basically nobody does. And yet we're expected to share her outrage that a deeply troubled man refused to let her be killed for the greater good.

Well, I didn't. I just felt kind of baffled by it.

Especially as she obviously already knew what happened by the end of the last game, and yet was also shocked into incoherence by the final confirmation a few years hence.

Hmmmm.

VulcanRaven

The game was great and I liked it even more than the first one. Gameplay felt much better and I didn't have issues with aiming controls. The weapon sway felt realistic.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

It is well balanced. But the true experience lies on hard/survivor + crafting.

This goes for any modern game since the PS3 era. :messenger_neutral:

Anyone who's been gaming for years, and has good experience playing 3rd person shooters, should be playing games on hard to experience an actual challenge...modern "normal" is easy mode for people with gaming experience.

Maybe. Personally I always play on normal cos I've got a temper and don't want to feel enraged half the time I'm playing.

Most games I get through fairly easily but the tougher parts like the rat king usually lead to 5 or 10 attempts.

I dunno, that seems about right to me. I already have way more games than I can possibly finish, so...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

But the other stuff adds up to an unnecessary irritation, for me anyway.

The town bigot. The lesbians. The girl being stronger than men. The religious bigots. The transsexual.

I'm just sick of this shit, regardless of how subtle it is.

Fuck off with it. It's the opposite of art.

Lets just unpack this:

1. The town bigot. Appears once with the event's primary plot function showing Ellie's estrangement from Joel by her rejecting him coming to her aid. Moreover, the whole "bigot sandwich" thing mostly serves to show how angry Ellie is generally, she's not shown to be in the right for rejecting the apology. She's certainly not applauded for her rejection by anyone in the cast, in fact she's criticized for giving Joel a hard time when he was just trying to do the right thing.

Above all else the inclusion of this scene isn't particularly "woke" because the woke hate anything that shows their lifestyle choices having any sort of negative connotation whatsoever, they typically trash such scenes as "triggering".

2. The Lesbians. Ellie is canonically gay as established in Left Behind. Past that, her relationship with Dina is just kinda there. She's a pretty boilerplate romantic interest, with her pregancy being again a functional contrivance to make her less of an active participant later in the story.

3. The girls aren't stronger than the men either emotionally or physically. Abby is more able initially because her obsessive vengeance has led her into becoming a roided-out monster, but of course by the end is a shadow of her former self. In the world of TLOU power is just power. Yes Abby gets to avenge herself on Joel, but only because she lures him and Tommy into a trap where they are outnumbered 3-1 by armed militia. She doesn't beat him down like Nadine batters the Drake brothers in Uncharted 4 because its not a comic-booky sort of game.

4. The whole point of the Seraphites/Scars is that they are zealots, its their fanatical adherance to their dogma that makes them especially dangerous. That being said their counterparts in the WLF are again bound together by a different type of disciplinarian rule of law. Honestly, how is this even an issue for complaint? if we can't have religious fanatics and dangerous militias as enemies in a post apocalyptic setting options for large-scale antagonists get kinda limited! Historically empires tend to build on these basic models, theocracy and militarism are defining features of most civilizations.

5. The transexual aspect is there, but its hardly in your face. In fact it mostly serves as a plot device to give Abby something to do while Ellie and co are murdering their way across Seattle. There's also the parallel made with Owen's desertion showing that its mainly about what happens to a person who no longer shares the same vision as the community they inhabit. The irony here is that LIly/Lev never wants to leave the cult, just a different role within it, whereas Owen is literally sick of it all and wants out. Both are marked for death for their transgressions, so what does that say about their respective belief systems?

Seems legit to me.

AceVader0

Neo Member
I liked the game, I think of it as (objectively) the most impressive videogame ever created in terms of production. Graphics, music, writing, pacing, etc, felt top notch. Funny enough, the only thing I didn't love was gameplay. It was simply "ok". With that said, it's not in my top 50 favorite videogames or anything like that. It was like seeing something truly impressive, but I didn't like it more than any other games. That's just personal opinion.

My biggest complain is that the game is waaaay too long for me. It started to feel too long by the time we get to the farm, so the last chapters in California were kind of a drag. Thankfully it didn't feel as endlessly long as Uncharted 4.
The gameplay was decent, it was never "fun fun" to be honest, but it never got in the way. Everything felt intuitive and fair, and the aiming was decent (which is usually terrible in Naughty Dog's games).

I understood the point they were trying to make, even if they were spoon feeding it to you. It's a story about violence and revenge, which felt real and organic (you know, for a fucking videogame based on mushroom zombies). I'm not crazy about Abby, but I felt empathy (which in these days it's like a supernatural spider-sense for people, apparently) for her.

Also, I didn't see anything political at all. I mean, not much further than any other videogames in the past. Or shall we talk about the conflict and REAL WORLD status of nukes in the XXI century, as THOROUGHLY DISCUSSED in Metal Gear Solid (1998) ?? Or you know, pretty much every other game with a plot.

But honestly, I don't understand the problem in the first place. Lesbians, transexuals, sex, religion... all of that does exist in the real world. What's the problem ? (Honest question) That people are not used to talk about it? That it has bad representation? Unlike the rest of videogames in which the main characters murder thousands of people? I mean, the human race as a whole has had a questionable representation in media since day 1. So.... like I said, honest question, what's the problem about all of that "woke" stuff?

Thanks.

HotPocket69

Banned
Finally finished this game after taking month hiatus from playing this game. Which I guess already sums lot of about I felt or more like didn't feel like about the game.

z8Xhz9Y.png

Andodalf

Banned
But this isn't RPG, is it? And no I haven't even played RPG that I liked that wasn't fun from the get go.

Upgrading to me in this game just doesn't feel integral to the experience, at least when you look at what was available as upgrades.

It certainly has RPG Progression mechanics, just like the first game. Upgrading is a central part of the game.

sainraja

Finally finished this game after taking month hiatus from playing this game. Which I guess already sums lot of about I felt or more like didn't feel like about the game. My minor grievances already start with the naming of the title, it feels like ordinary naming of just tlou 2, just wouldn't be enough in the minds of the creators, for such an extraordinary title, so they just had to name it tlou part II.

For the story, which took me 15 hours to finish according to save file, I can't say I really enjoyed it. Neither was gameplay which i get to later, so one might wonder why I even bothered to play the game after awhile. Mostly it was just sunk cost fallacy, and hoping it might get better by giving the game a chance. For some elements like weed, superficial on-off relationships, bigots, many lbqt's and so on, while they don't bother me in principle whatsoever, it felt like these elements didn't improve the story one bit, but where there solely to signal the virtues of the creators. Characters didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense in terms of motivations and, while some were superficially nice behaving, like Owen, Abby and Ellie, their actions were really despicable most of the time. And yes having sensible, relatable chars is important to me in a story.

Gameplay however bothered me even more since that's what I usually play games for since stories are rarely any good in video games like in this case too. My biggest problem was the poor aiming controls, you really had to be surgical with right stick to make it even hit the body. That to me just isn't fun. I mean I get why developers made it that way. If aiming was as fast and smooth as let say call of duty, then it would make encounters pretty trivial and make the game shorter. However on my case this design backfired and made the game even shorter, since on pretty much every possible encounter my tactic was just to run to next hold Y to proceed door. Controls were also convoluted in terms of mapping. I never crafted anything other health packs, cause that would have slowed down the gameplay for me, both from crafting and having to juggle with that dpad menu. There was also so many nooks and crannies that I didnt bother to loot any of them since none of the upgrades, pills or screws didn't seem interesting at all.

Visually game was good, and there was some cool setpieces like that horse ride on island.

I am not really a fan of the second part, however, it seems to me that you tried really hard to not invest in the gameplay systems, so how could you have enjoyed it?

HotPocket69

Banned
Lol, i actually change last occurrence to "the game" instead "this game" because of that repetition. Yes it's fair to say i am not the greatest writer

All good man.

Im surprised you got through it in that amount of time. I think my first run took me at least 40 hours, maybe more. Spent so much time taking screenshots and finding those useless collectibles.

Eternal21

I loved the game as much as the first one. It was exactly what I wanted from the series. Can't wait for the HBO adaptation.

Top Bottom