• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Killzone Shadow Fall

Ok, since I only have a PS4 Pro, I've been enjoying some cheap games lately. I decided to pick up KZ: Shadow Fall for 10 Euros and actually had a good time with it.

Starting with the overall pace of the game - it could be better. People criticised this game a lot and if I were to do so I would choose its pacing. It's really really bad, everything happens so fast, cutscenes end without letting the player process what the hell is happening on screen, music abruptly cuts, it doesn't follow what's happening, a total mess. But I've seen this problem on other GG games before, Horizon suffers a bit from it (but still way better). Everything feels so damn rushed.
The story has some interesting points to it, with the war between Helghast and Vektans, living under the same roof, with the constant attacks from each side and leading to the death of the main protagonist for trying to do what's better for both. I think it could have been developed a bit better and, once again, I think the overall pace of the game ruined everything. Echo was a cool character with good motives, but once again, GG ruined her.
Gameplay is pretty good, I have always loved how Killzone games control, the shooting, the weapons. It has some weight to it, and I would consider it one of the best shooters in terms of gameplay. But that's subjective, as I've seen people hating on the gameplay as well.
Visuals - sometimes you can see that this is a launch title but other times, it fucking blows my mind on how beautiful it looks. Looks better than some games released way after, and in this regard GG have always been really good.

Overall, I liked the game. It's not very good, but I really liked and made me want a new KZ even more. They could reboot it, with each iteration being a game focused on one side. Create parallel stories, don't force the Helgast to be the villains for the sake of it (as clearly they have suffered more hardships than the Vektans), create a Horde vs Alliance in WoW kind of thing.

All in all, I think that Killzone still has a lot of potential. I really want Sony to reboot this franchise, they could have an amazing IP here, an FPS, with the story telling that PS Studios games are known to have. It's either KZ or Resistance, please Sony do something with them.

The first thing i do with a new playstation is play a launch title from the previous system on it. I played battle arena toshinden on my new Ps2, Fantavision on Ps3, but i couldn't play resistance fall of man on my ps4 due to no backwards compatibility, but i did play Killzone Shadow Fall on my Ps5.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I went to replay this recently and graphics aside the game was shite! Pacing, gameplay and story to me did not age well. I couldn't keep going with it, got bored and played something else.

sainraja

Ok, since I only have a PS4 Pro, I've been enjoying some cheap games lately. I decided to pick up KZ: Shadow Fall for 10 Euros and actually had a good time with it.

Starting with the overall pace of the game - it could be better. People criticised this game a lot and if I were to do so I would choose its pacing. It's really really bad, everything happens so fast, cutscenes end without letting the player process what the hell is happening on screen, music abruptly cuts, it doesn't follow what's happening, a total mess. But I've seen this problem on other GG games before, Horizon suffers a bit from it (but still way better). Everything feels so damn rushed.
The story has some interesting points to it, with the war between Helghast and Vektans, living under the same roof, with the constant attacks from each side and leading to the death of the main protagonist for trying to do what's better for both. I think it could have been developed a bit better and, once again, I think the overall pace of the game ruined everything. Echo was a cool character with good motives, but once again, GG ruined her.
Gameplay is pretty good, I have always loved how Killzone games control, the shooting, the weapons. It has some weight to it, and I would consider it one of the best shooters in terms of gameplay. But that's subjective, as I've seen people hating on the gameplay as well.
Visuals - sometimes you can see that this is a launch title but other times, it fucking blows my mind on how beautiful it looks. Looks better than some games released way after, and in this regard GG have always been really good.

Overall, I liked the game. It's not very good, but I really liked and made me want a new KZ even more. They could reboot it, with each iteration being a game focused on one side. Create parallel stories, don't force the Helgast to be the villains for the sake of it (as clearly they have suffered more hardships than the Vektans), create a Horde vs Alliance in WoW kind of thing.

All in all, I think that Killzone still has a lot of potential. I really want Sony to reboot this franchise, they could have an amazing IP here, an FPS, with the story telling that PS Studios games are known to have. It's either KZ or Resistance, please Sony do something with them.
I would love it if they were to bring the two series back. I enjoyed my time with them. The first Resistance was pretty awesome in how it told its story.

UnNamed

Banned
Killzone SF have a good start but it become boring and too linear in the end.

Not my favorite episode but not bad either. Actually I liked every episode except for KZ3, too much cinematic, action is interrupted every five minutes because cinematics, very annoying.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Bought at launch on ps4, a decent 6\10 launch game with great graphic and not much else.

The shooting being less meaty and punchy than kz2 was one of the biggest misteries in gaming history for me...

Multyplayer was kinda nice but not even close to kz2.

Last edited:

H4ze

I really enjoyed KZ: Shadowfall, it was the first PS4 titel I finished back then on my then brand new ps4, good times. Must have been in January 2014, god damn, it's already 8 years....

Killzone SF had a good MP, I had good days with my own clan.

But the campaign was boring.

Technically was good, with so much better visuals compared to Killzone 3.

Last edited:

skit_data

Bought it a few months ago because I saw it has 60fps support on PS5. Didn’t like the beginning of the campaign very much. It was very unclear wether you could make a drop from a cliff at one point, I think I died 6-7 times when dropping down, so I went looking for another way forward for 10-15 minutes and came back only to not die from the drop this time. It felt very inconsistent, so I simply stopped playing in fear of encountering similar time wasting situations.

wipeout364

I really liked a lot of aspects of shadow fall, the game looked great, the story was kind of cool and the game had some really inventive ideas for level design and gameplay . That said, I just had an ok time playing through it, the game mechanically just felt clunky and not fun in some spots. I have not played Horizon but I found Killzone 1 and 2 to not feel great mechanically either. I can honestly say I have not loved any of the Killzone games. Which I always is too bad because I really liked the art in them and the presentation of the universe.

NahaNago

Just thinking about the drama of comparing killzone and halo in the future seems like fun. Granted now Microsoft now has Cod, gears of war, halo, and Doom for Killzone to be compared against. Good God!

Damn, KZ has such a fucking cool lore. Love the Helghast, stylish motherfuckers Soonyyyyyyyyyyyy make something out of it

Or Resistance, in the vibe of the first game. Soooonnnnyyyyyyyyyy gooooooooooo

Tschumi

Killzone mmo

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Bought it at launch for my shiny new ps4, and was kinda impressed with just how terrible the campaign was. Looked very pretty though!

The further you get in the game, the more you realize that they ran out of time. There are sections that could not have been play tested at all. Also the last encounter is straight up trash.
Fuck yes. The last encounter is simply bad design all around. It was rushed as fuck (but i liked the credits scene before being interrupted, I wasn’t expecting that) i was like wtf, it’s over already? And then some more gameplay with Echo.

Fbh

I enjoyed my time with it.
The campaign wasn't great but it was serviceable and worked well as a visual showcase for the Ps4, and the multiplayer was really fun. It also missed a bit of that darker look of 2 and 3.

And hell, that flight over the city in the intro still holds up really well:
AliveDefenselessHeterodontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

I enjoyed my time with it.
The campaign wasn't great but it was serviceable and worked well as a visual showcase for the Ps4, and the multiplayer was really fun. It also missed a bit of that darker look of 2 and 3.

And hell, that flight over the city in the intro still holds up really well:
AliveDefenselessHeterodontosaurus-size_restricted.gif
Yeah this made me search for my jaw. Man that was incredible!!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One of my most played PS4 game, really shame that Guerilla jumped on that UBI train would love to have another Killzone game.

mclaren777

I enjoyed the game at launch, but I felt it desperately needed an FOV slider.

Everything always felt so claustrophobic to me.

This game had moments of brilliance in some levels, however it had two flaws:
- The story was pretty bad (but this is rather common in gaming, so not really a big deal)
- About the last 1/3rd of the game was not on par with the early part of the game, the levels and encounters were a bit dull

Given a few more months in the oven this game could have been one of the top FPS game ever released on consoles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Intro & Opening Remarks
2:34 Express VPN
3:54 Series Overview
9:21 Shadow Fall Intro
12:38 The Story & Writing
15:54 The Shooting & Combat
20:52 The OWL
23:19 Level Design & Gameplay
27:45 The Epilogue
29:18 Outro

Drizzlehell

Banned
That game was garbage. The most boring and unfulfilling single player campaign in first person shooter history. I experienced more excitement while staring at clothes that were spinning in my washing machine.

Chronicle

That game was garbage. The most boring and unfulfilling single player campaign in first person shooter history. I experienced more excitement while staring at clothes that were spinning in my washing machine.
I wanted it to be good too. It wasn't really. Mercenaries was fantastic though

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wanted it to be good too. It wasn't really. Mercenaries was fantastic though
Yeah, what really sucks is that gunplay was fun and visuals were amazing so the multiplayer was easily the only reason to play this game. The reason why campaign was so bad is because it had terrible pacing, there were barely any exciting set pieces in it right until the final levels, and the story sucked too.

The Shepard

The single player was forgettable but the multiplayer was fantastic, i played this to death at ps4 launch. I really wish they'd continue/reboot the franchise or just give us remasters of all the games like the masterchief collection complete with multiplayer. Instead we'll get a remake of horizon zero dawn, a game which is not even that old and still looks great..

Last edited:
Top Bottom