• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Just Cause 4: Best Jetpack game ever?

After dipping my toes into the PS+ freebie JC3, I enjoyed it enough that I wanted a better running version of that game so I picked up JC4. For some reason these games never really clicked with me before but I actually beat JC4 last week and overall I had a pretty good time with it but its definitely a B-tier game.

Judging by my experience with JC3, JC4 is basically more of the same but structured a little differently. Most of you probably know what the score is here: You run around in a squirrel suit with your zip line gauntlet blowing shit up and hijacking all sorts of vehicles and using the physics system to make your fun as you go. The difference here (maybe its in 3? I didnt get far into it) is you get a freaking jetpack pretty early on and it becomes your primary transportation system. It takes some getting used to and the camera doesnt really help things but pretty soon it becomes second nature to zipline off the ground, activate your squirrel suit and jetpack off to the next playground. Its pretty freakin great.

The game is at its best when you are just traveling around blowing stuff up as you see fit and playing around with the physics and the new grapple mods (you can make balloons to attach to objects or jet like boosters to launch objects around). The world is pretty impressively large and has quite a bit of geographical diversity. There are jungles, deserts, snowy mountains., etc. There are also a ton of vehicles from lowly scooters to big ass passenger jumbo jets, to destroyer type boats. They are all pretty arcadey to use so its easy to jump right in and use them but there is almost no depth or nuance to them either.

There is also a weather system but honestly, it hardly plays any kind of factor except for a handful of story missions that directly address them. I will say that there is one mission where you are chasing a tornado as it tears through an airport sucking up planes and fuel tanks that is probably the highlight of the whole game and was pretty impressive. I would love to see a version of this game with double the budget so they can clean up some of the issues and flesh out the missions.

The Lows:

-The game is pretty ugly overall. There is a hazy look to the game that really bugged me

-There is almost no meaningful utilization of the new gadgets or abilities in the story or any of the actual missions.

-The mission design is almost uniformly awful. Aside from the joys of destruction, its a lot of area babysitting while you fend off waves of enemies. Its not fun.

Kuranghi

To your first low point: I found that running the game in anything less than 4K was an absolute crawl-fest, like some of the worst aliasing I've ever seen in an engine. I saw this on a 1080p AND 4K screen.

I think the game renders objects based on how many pixels of said objects are within the resolution of the frame, like how the Fox Engine does it in Phantom Pain/GZ.I'm probably not explaining it well enough so here is a comparison of different res in Ground Zeroes:

There are other comparisons: like 1080p vs. 2160p on the page but I chose this to emphasise the difference more. Its still pretty stark when its 1080p vs 2160p. You can see that not only are whole objects not rendered but the shading/shadowing is also missing, in this engine it works pretty well so you don't think "oh the distance looks shit when I play at 1080p instead of 2160p", I think there is still a difference but its much less of a problem than in the Just Cause 4 engine.

You know what it looks like, its trees and grass everywhere, all those objects are so thin and small that at 1080p and lower the game "half-renders" so much of the stuff in the distance that it all just turns into a crawling mass of catapillars. I'm not sure its an option for you (Are you on console?) but if on PC just try flipping between 1080p and 4K just to see the difference. If you only have a 1080p/1440p screen then even downsampling from higher internal res to your screens res will make the difference here. Even if its not playable framerates just check it out, I think you will be blown away and go "oh fudge this is how its meant to look". My settings are below if you decide to/are able to try it.

So I just gave up on 60fps and locked it to 30hz at 4K with some temporal anti-aliasing + a tiny bit of sharpening from Nvidia Control Panel, it looked amazing and didn't have that crusty/crawling look except in the extreme (I mean 50km away) distance. IMO the game was meant to be played at 4K@30 (Only saying 30hz cause I dont think any single card, even in 2020, can run it at 4K@60) because thats how they tested it internally.

Surely no-one was looking at this game running at 1080p and going "Yes, this looks great, the art is clearly being exposed/appreciated as it should be here".

Cool game though, I much preferred the 3 one tbh though, I loved the wingsuit courses and was disapppointed to find them mostly neutered in 4.

I am playing the game on PC thanks to the EGS free giveaway. Seems to look alright at 1440p on my monitor, anyway.

Overall it seems pretty fun but I never finished JC3 and I don't think I will finish JC4. I just am not invested in the story enough, I guess. It's a fun sandbox though.

GymWolf

Never liked the controls in just cause but i only played the third one.

For this gen my favourite jetpack was in elex.

Kuranghi

I am playing the game on PC thanks to the EGS free giveaway. Seems to look alright at 1440p on my monitor, anyway.

Overall it seems pretty fun but I never finished JC3 and I don't think I will finish JC4. I just am not invested in the story enough, I guess. It's a fun sandbox though.

Aye don't get me wrong, I don't think the game is bad at lower than 4K or anything, I would normally never say "oh you need to play it at this res or this framerate or it wont look right" but I was just blown away with how it looked at 4K over even 1440p, I was like "Ohhhhhhhhhhh... thats it".

Are you able to try it at 4K on your telly? Prob not worth it if you haven't got it installed ofc.

Mossybrew

-There is almost no meaningful utilization of the new gadgets or abilities in the story or any of the actual missions.

This - now consider how much effort they put into the game for these gadgets - 3 separate customizable loadouts for them, multiple upgrade tiers unlockable via a bunch of sidemissions dedicated solely to this purpose - really the only way you upgrade Rico at all through the game is just these gadgets. And - they actually serve no purpose ingame other than maybe a chuckle or two when you first try them out. Getting various upgrades for and tweaking these balloons and boosters was pretty much of zero interest or use to me, yet much of the game is dedicated to these pointless mechanics. It's a really baffling and misguided design choice IMO.

Last edited:

Mister D

Is there any way to increase the amount of boos the jetpack has? I wasn't really paying attention when I got it so I don't know if there is some way to upgrade it but I would love if there was a way to get more boost.

This - now consider how much effort they put into the game for these gadgets - 3 separate customizable loadouts for them, multiple upgrade tiers unlockable via a bunch of sidemissions dedicated solely to this purpose - really the only way you upgrade Rico at all through the game is just these gadgets. And - they actually serve no purpose ingame other than maybe a chuckle or two when you first try them out. Getting various upgrades for and tweaking these balloons and boosters was pretty much of zero interest or use to me, yet much of the game is dedicated to these pointless mechanics. It's a really baffling and misguided design choice IMO.

Yeah I agree. Honestly, I didnt even mess with the mods very much. Just seemed kinda pointless

Is there any way to increase the amount of boos the jetpack has? I wasn't really paying attention when I got it so I don't know if there is some way to upgrade it but I would love if there was a way to get more boost.

Do the wingsuit challenges. You get upgrades the more you do. I maxed out the jetpack and it had 3 boost levels and 3 missile salvos you could fire off.

Mister D

Do the wingsuit challenges. You get upgrades the more you do. I maxed out the jetpack and it had 3 boost levels and 3 missile salvos you could fire off.

Cool, thanks. As soon as I unlocked it I haven't bothered with the regular wingsuit or any of the challenges. Guess I'll have to just spend a few sessions doing just wingsuit stuff so I can fly around as a fully upgraded, Hispanic Iron Man.

Cool, thanks. As soon as I unlocked it I haven't bothered with the regular wingsuit or any of the challenges. Guess I'll have to just spend a few sessions doing just wingsuit stuff so I can fly around as a fully upgraded, Hispanic Iron Man.

Dont bother with the purple hard ones. There are tons of easy orange challenges and the purple ones dont even count towards the suit upgrades anyway.

Top Bottom