• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Judgement - What Yakuza is this?

Nankatsu

If they don't fix Takuya Kimura's situation with his agency, I think it will probably be my biggest letdown in recent years in terms of gaming.

Judgement series is just that good. 3rd title needs to happen, period.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Also bought it in the recent sale. I actually like it better than Like a dragon due to the combat systen.

Wild. I hated the combat system in JUDGEMENT so much. The hyper-armor enemies get just kills any joy of the traditional Yakuza combat. I dropped the game after that first true boss-fight because no way was I going to deal with that all game (this was on the highest difficulty).

Yakuza 0's combat started off rough for me, but eventually I got used to it, but the crap in Judgement was too much.

. . .sucks because the story in Judgement looked really good.

SCB3

I've always wanted a degenerate mess of a girlfriend.
I have one of those, its keeps life interesting!

Anyways, on the combat system, I prefer this system over LAD's usually, theres something more appealing about it being real time, LAD's has a tendency to have all your opponants take multiple turns before you could get yours back, the requirement to grind out levels despite being long ass sections filled with cutscenes where you had to hope you had a save prior to that area or you could be fucked in a boss fight

That being said, I like the stories in LAD and so far Judgement, I kinda wanna go back to Yakuza Kiwami and carry on that series (I own the Collection) but there are so long

BaneIsPain

Story wise, I prefer Judgment over Lost Judgment. Content wise, lost judgment is an ace in that department. I need to play Kaito files now.

SCB3

A few more hours in, I'm linking this non Yakuza focused story so far, its different yet familar.

I will say though, fuck any dev that has a money requirement for carrying on Missions yet no easy way to grind out money (at least this early)

Jennings

A few more hours in, I'm linking this non Yakuza focused story so far, its different yet familar.

I will say though, fuck any dev that has a money requirement for carrying on Missions yet no easy way to grind out money (at least this early)
Money shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you're selling your valuables at the pawn shop. You should be picking up tons of cash and rare metal plates etc from generic street fights.

Finish both, good games but didn’t care about side missions at all.

But I think the formula is over. … only if they bring Abe Hiroshi (shinzanmono) to the game lol. That detective would be awesome.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I got it for PS5 on sale and I'm enjoying it although I prefer Kyriu as a main character. Something about this guy annoys me a bit.

Also Kyriu has a cooler fighting style IMO.

Other than that it is a great addition to the Yakuza universe.

SCB3

Money shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you're selling your valuables at the pawn shop. You should be picking up tons of cash and rare metal plates etc from generic street fights.
It’s only a problem right at the beginning of chapter 1 , you have to buy a rare figure for 10,000¥ but the game starts you off with 15,000¥ so I bought a bunch of healing stuff literally just before that part with no other way to get money at this point aside from street fights which are rarer than LAD was

It’s something to be aware of and LAD did something similar half way through the game (luckily I liked the business game in that game so money was never ever an issue)

Just started this a few days ago. I’m playing on PS4 since I’ve owned the disc for a while now and it has the superior colours. Nice that the digital games are on sale.

I’m on chapter 4 and have far more money than I could use. However, I just unlocked dating, so maybe I’ll end up blowing it all on women.

I prefer the turn-based combat in Like a Dragon. The combat here is fun, but when I have six enemies surrounding me, it’s just button mashing. However, I do like getting drunk and using a lot of finishing moves.

I just bought the ps5 sequel on disc as well.

Reactions: Isa

Jennings

Just started this a few days ago. I’m playing on PS4 since I’ve owned the disc for a while now and it has the superior colours. Nice that the digital games are on sale.

I’m on chapter 4 and have far more money than I could use. However, I just unlocked dating, so maybe I’ll end up blowing it all on women.

I prefer the turn-based combat in Like a Dragon. The combat here is fun, but when I have six enemies surrounding me, it’s just button mashing. However, I do like getting drunk and using a lot of finishing moves.

I just bought the ps5 sequel on disc as well.
Button mashing? I guess you could technically win this way, but I don't think combat is SUPPOSED to be that much of an obstacle. You need to aim for the flashy moves, the environmental weapons and attacks, and generally just make a crazy big show of it. The combat isn't there to punish you, but to give you the opportunity to look like a fucking badass while breaking heads with traffic cones and flying wall-rebounds. This isn't some shitty AssCreed entry, anybody can button-mash through a group of 6, but that's not the point. The point is to look good while doing it. Aim higher.

Last edited:

SCB3

Button mashing? I guess you could technically win this way, but I don't think combat is SUPPOSED to be that much of an obstacle. You need to aim for the flashy moves, the environmental weapons and attacks, and generally just make a crazy big show of it. The combat isn't there to punish you, but to give you the opportunity to look like a fucking badass while breaking heads with traffic cones and flying wall-rebounds. This isn't some shitty AssCreed entry, anybody can button-mash through a group of 6, but that's not the point. The point is to look good while doing it. Aim higher.
It reminds me of Devil May Cry or the older God of Wars where yea you could mash your way to victory but it was more beneficial to adapt and learn how to use the right style for the right enemy types, Yakuza 0 was fantastic for this,

PsyEd

For me the first Judgement game introduced me to the Yakuza series....I just wanted to play something that wasn't a FPS shooter and I like beat'em ups. Picked it up on sale for XsX....and that's where my journey in Kamurocho properly started. Even thought Lost Judgement has way better combat athn any game from RGG yet a bit too serious story. Even The Kaito Files DLC expansion for LJ is pretty solid and treats a sideshow character with lotta respect that he has tons of EX Actions (Heat Moves) of his own! I really hope there's a 3rd installment.

Last edited:

SCB3

For me the first Judgement game introduced me to the Yakuza series....I just wanted to play something that wasn't a FPS shooter and I like beat'em ups. Picked it up on sale for XsX....and that's where my journey in Kamurocho properly started. Even thought Lost Judgement has way better combat athn any game from RGG yet a bit too serious story. Even The Kaito Files DLC expansion for LJ is pretty solid and treats a sideshow character with lotta respect that he has tons of EX Actions (Heat Moves) of his own! I really hope there's a 3rd installment.
I am very tempted to grab LJ as its on Sale, but this feels like such a long game and I have plans for other games after this (Zelda, Crash 4, more Destiny in May) so gonna wait on it getting a bigger discount but glad to hear it improves on the combat

SCB3

I'm at the end of Chapter 2 and the game is half gripping me, I've been super busy with work stuff so play time's been limited but theres some good stuff here

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I'll get back into this eventually, just a small matter of being the Star-lord for a while before I hit the streets of Kamarocho...(or where-ever this game is based in... :messenger_grinning_smiling: )

SCB3

I'll get back into this eventually, just a small matter of being the Star-lord for a while before I hit the streets of Kamarocho...(or where-ever this game is based in... :messenger_grinning_smiling: )
Ah my personal GotY last year, enjoy!

A.Romero

I'm at the end of Chapter 2 and the game is half gripping me, I've been super busy with work stuff so play time's been limited but theres some good stuff here

I just got to chapter 5 last weekend and it got more interesting.

Also don't know if it's my imagination but kind of feel performance improved. Maybe VRR?

Jennings

This game just cracks me up to no end. They just nail the humor.

NEYtsoe.jpg

Jennings

Aww, I finally managed to convince someone to be my girlfriend in Judgement, but I can only find a single Rule34 image of her online. I was hoping she'd be a lot more popular.

SCB3

On to chapter 4 and almost considered dropping it, but persevered and yea it’s hitting its stride now, I do sometimes wish the less wacky side of these games were dropped, I know they’re a part of the experience but I kinda want a more serious game, leave that stuff for Yakuza perhaps

SCB3

Finished Chapter 6 tonight and its really gripping me, more than LAD I think

I will say the way this City feels is fantastic, it feels so real and lived in, moreso than in GTAV imo

A.Romero

Finished Chapter 6 tonight and its really gripping me, more than LAD I think

I will say the way this City feels is fantastic, it feels so real and lived in, moreso than in GTAV imo

I agree about the city but I think it has to do with the scope and how everyone is supposed to be in Kamurocho to have fun as opposed to live real lifes.

I had to put Judgement on hold because I started to play Miles Morales but hopefully I'll hop back in this weekend. The story finally seems to be coming together. (Don't really like Tak though, it feels like all the other characters are more charming than him).

SCB3

I agree about the city but I think it has to do with the scope and how everyone is supposed to be in Kamurocho to have fun as opposed to live real lifes.

I had to put Judgement on hold because I started to play Miles Morales but hopefully I'll hop back in this weekend. The story finally seems to be coming together. (Don't really like Tak though, it feels like all the other characters are more charming than him).
I like him, its a weird one when you see how straight laced he is as a lawyer compared to now, Kiryu never seemed that interesting to me in Yakuza,

SCB3

Alright onto Chapter 8 and I'm gripped, its doing a better job of being grounded than Yakuza does and a damn good story, I called the twist though a bit too obvious, but its good to see where its going

Alright onto Chapter 8 and I'm gripped, its doing a better job of being grounded than Yakuza does and a damn good story, I called the twist though a bit too obvious, but its good to see where its going
I'm playing through the game right now, chapter 9. I almost quit because it's such a slow game, but I'm hooked now. The story is a bit smaller in scope in Judgement, so I'm actually able to follow all of the names. I've always had trouble with that in Yakuza.

I am so glad these games exist, I just want to say.

Last edited:

SCB3

Is the last 2 Bosses of Chapter 10 just broken? For whatever reason Yagami could not target them and I was left whiffing constantly, I did beat them, but used far more Healing items than I wanted, still in the Endgame now and loving it, definitely considering grabbing Lost Judgement over summer

A.Romero

I finished this the day before yesterday. The story wrapped up pretty good with nice and kind of believable twists although I feel they dragged it a bit a the end.

Started with Lost Judgement yesterday and really wish the tutorial was optional. It started pretty slow but we will see. I might be experiencing Judgement fatigue, though.

SCB3

I finished this the day before yesterday. The story wrapped up pretty good with nice and kind of believable twists although I feel they dragged it a bit a the end.

Started with Lost Judgement yesterday and really wish the tutorial was optional. It started pretty slow but we will see. I might be experiencing Judgement fatigue, though.
yea I had to take long breaks between 0, Kiwami, LAD and Judgement, I'm waiting on a good sale for LJ now

Top Bottom