• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Hollow Knight (It hurts so good)

brian0057

Banned
H2x1_WiiUDS_HollowKnight.jpg

How have I not played this masterpiece before?

This game is kicking my ass and I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The music is superb. The bosses are challenging and so much fun to fight. I'm in love with Hollow Knight.
It controls like a dream. Just the act of moving around and swinging the nail feels so good.

But the standout, for me, is the level design. Sweet baby Jesus is this labyrinthine world one of the best I've ever encountered.
And it just keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny. Every area is unique and just a marvel to look at.
The City of Tears is probably my favorite level and the amount of enviromental storytelling peppered throughout the whole map keeps me coming back, trying to piece together what happened in this place.

With the launch of Metroid Dread, I decided to check out what many consider one of the best Metroidvanias ever made. I'll be one more of the choir and join in on the praise.
It goddamn amazing. I can't get enought of it.

If this game were $60, I'd pay them sight unseen. This is a masterclass in videogame design and probably one of the best games I've ever played.
Easily in my Top 10. I can't think of enough superlatives to call it.

Now I'm just like everyone else waiting for Silksong to finally release. I need more Hollow Knight.
It's been a long time since I've been this engaged with a videogame. I feel like I'm 10 years old all over again.
For the love of God, play it, if you haven't already!

Just listen to some of this music.
That's some Vivaldi level shit and I can't stop listening.
Even when those Mantis Lords were handing me my own ass on a silver platter I couldn't stop smiling with how much fun I was having.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I played this couple of hours and didn't really like it. I'll give it another chance later probably.
I'd say play and if you don't like it after the first fight with the Hunter, then maybe the game isn't for you.
It's the dictionary definition of what a Metroidvania should be.
If you like the genre, you'll love Hollow Knight.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I also fall in to the category of getting this on PS plus. Playing for a few hours and enjoying it somewhat but then not going back. Must give it a return as it seems like a lot of love went in to this world.

brian0057

Banned
I also fall in to the category of getting this on PS plus. Playing for a few hours and enjoying it somewhat but then not going back. Must give it a return as it seems like a lot of love went in to this world.
Dude, it's so good.
If you like Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
It's hard, it's intricate, and so much fun to play.

DelireMan7

I played this game beginning of the year and it straight up join my Top 3 best ever game with Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

So many perfect stuff : music, level design, atmosphere, gameplay, world design...

The soundtrack is really outstanding. You put Mantis Lords as example and I think the whole Mantis Lords fight is the best boss fight ever.
Everything just works perfectly in it. The whole scenery is perfect, the fight is fast pace but with really clear pattern to identify and the music perfectly tie everything together.

Man this game is a true wonder.

Davey Cakes

Hollow Knight is a bit of a grower, but once you get a few badge slots and increase your mobility with the wall jump, dash, and double jump, the game goes full steam ahead. It's really long but has large, well-realized world. It's gothic as hell.

I didn't beat it until earlier this year, actually. Started all the way back when it first came out on Steam, and I also bought the Switch version and made progress in that. Got burnt out and took a break, came back to the Steam version after I upgraded my PC and fell in love again. The game is just gorgeous, and the controls are butter smooth. The challenge is just right, with a mix of typical Metroidvania progression and Mega Man-style bosses.

Fools idol

Banned
It is in my humble opinion the best Metroidvania style game there is. Its just perfect. The obscurity begged from Dark Souls is also the cherry on top.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I played this couple of hours and didn't really like it. I'll give it another chance later probably.

I've given it 5+ chances and I still hate the experience.. I'll be nice and say it's a compatibility issue, not necessarily the game itself.

I think the graphics look clean and crisp but I just dont fuck with the bugs. Not cool to look at for my tastes. Game playe very very well tho.

Had this from Plus and just recently tried it again. Gone be a slow burn but imma do it after finishing FC6

Burger

Love it, but not finished it. I wish it wasn't so punishingly difficult. I ain't got time to spend 100 hours getting good. I just want to experience all of it.

brian0057

Banned
I played this game beginning of the year and it straight up join my Top 3 best ever game with Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

So many perfect stuff : music, level design, atmosphere, gameplay, world design...

The soundtrack is really outstanding. You put Mantis Lords as example and I think the whole Mantis Lords fight is the best boss fight ever.
Everything just works perfectly in it. The whole scenery is perfect, the fight is fast pace but with really clear pattern to identify and the music perfectly tie everything together.

Man this game is a true wonder.

I love that fight, I love its music, and so much fun even when I'm eating dirt.
God, I love this game.

Hollow Knight is a bit of a grower, but once you get a few badge slots and increase your mobility with the wall jump, dash, and double jump, the game goes full steam ahead. It's really long but has large, well-realized world. It's gothic as hell.

I didn't beat it until earlier this year, actually. Started all the way back when it first came out on Steam, and I also bought the Switch version and made progress in that. Got burnt out and took a break, came back to the Steam version after I upgraded my PC and fell in love again. The game is just gorgeous, and the controls are butter smooth. The challenge is just right, with a mix of typical Metroidvania progression and Mega Man-style bosses.

Yeah, the game takes a bit to get going. But once it grabs you by the balls, it doesnt' let go for even a moment.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I looooved Hollow Knight. The best part is, outside of the core game, there are soooo many secrets. You can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you're willing.

Super hype for Silksong. I know it's been up in the air for a release date, but honestly, Team Cherry can work on that game for another 5 years if it'll be close to the quality of Hollow Knight, and I won't mind.

DelireMan7

I looooved Hollow Knight. The best part is, outside of the core game, there are soooo many secrets. You can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you're willing.

Super hype for Silksong. I know it's been up in the air for a release date, but honestly, Team Cherry can work on that game for another 5 years if it'll be close to the quality of Hollow Knight, and I won't mind.
denzel washington GIF

Jsisto

Love Hollow Knight to Death. Truly stands with the best of the genre and does it own thing very well. Amazing accomplishment given the very small development team. Now that it’s out, I pretty safely consider it and Metroid Dread the two best metroidvanias ever. Two very unique experiences that lean into different aspects of the genre expertly, that I will be going back to for years to come. Hollow knight is such a massive game, which I get isn’t for everybody and can be intimidating. I’ve played it twice now and still plenty of things I haven’t done, including some of the dlc.

Last edited:
Definitely give it a go.
It's amazing.
It was always on my radar, and I know nothing about the game. Will play completely blind. I just need to finish Dread.
Someone above said that it has many secrets? Because it's literally the best thing in gaming to me!
Also how is the music?

brian0057

Banned
Love Hollow Knight to Death. Truly stands with the best of the genre and does it own thing very well. Amazing accomplishment given the very small development team. Now that it’s out, I pretty safely consider it and Metroid Dread the two best metroidvanias ever. Two very unique experiences that lean into different aspects of the genre expertly, that I will be going back to for years to come. Hollow knight is such a massive game, which I get isn’t for everybody and can be intimidating. I’ve played it twice now and still plenty of things I haven’t done, including some of the dlc.
I need to play Metroid Dread.
Its launch is the reason I picked up Hollow Knight.

GHG

Gold Member
One of the GOATs.

Love everything about the game. It's one of those games where I legitimately have nothing bad to say about it, it's a masterpiece.

Really hope the silence regarding Silksong is just because they want to work on it without any noise.

brian0057

Banned
It was always on my radar, and I know nothing about the game. Will play completely blind. I just need to finish Dread.
Someone above said that it has many secrets? Because it's literally the best thing in gaming to me!
Also how is the music?
How is the music? It's godlike.
Just check the example in the OP.

Jsisto

Yea the music is incredible. Christopher Larkin is an amazing composer. I know he’s also working on the Silksong soundtrack, but I’m genuinely surprised we haven’t seen him do any higher profile projects yet. Truly amazing and memorable soundtrack. For anyone interested most of his work, including the complete Hollow Knight OST is all on Spotify.

skit_data

It is indeed a masterpiece, probably the best indie title I’ve played by orders of magnitude. Its like if Dark Souls and Metroid combined into the cutest little bug-kingdom-game that kicks your ass up and down. I still haven’t beat Nighmare King Grimm.

Can’t wait for Silksong, easily one of my most anticipated games that is yet to have sm actual release date.

Last edited:
Oh man, anytime I see the name of this game i get ptsd flashbacks from the path of pain area. I completed it after 667556556 deaths.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Also how is the music?
In my opinion outstanding. Lot of strings and piano. Very atmospheric sometimes and really motivating and breathtaking in other times.

You say you want to be completely blind so you maybe don't want to listen the soundtrack but I'll put few examples :

Enter Hallownest which is the opening music.
Then in my opinion the best of the game (and on of the best in gaming) and it gives you a nice idea of what the soundtrack feels : Greenpath, one of the early areas. I mean this music is so charming and then so motivating. It gets me each time.

Boss music are also extremely good (Hornet's theme is a prime example). And what I like is on many occasion the sound effect of fight or environment blend so well with the music. It had another layer of awesomeness during fights.
I mean the "Ediino !", "Shaw !", "Egalee !" are part of the Hornet's theme for me.

And some of the endgame music really got me and my eyes really watery. (Like the music for the final boss and a certain sound effect it does... True sadness)

Silvawuff

In my opinion outstanding. Lot of strings and piano.

Queen's Gardens is a real banger. So hauntingly beautiful:

Edit: I totally "get" why some people played this and didn't really like it. Early game I think it's helpful to pick up a guide to understand some of the more subtle mechanics/figure out where to go next. This game doesn't hold your hand for anything. Example, to find the map salesbug easier, he leaves a trail of trash that you just have to follow. It's a really easy detail to miss. Some charms have insane synergy that work for certain boss fights better than others.
There's another boss later on that you can make easier by going in the room above him and dropping some stuff on him.
Stuff like that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Great art design and music but i got bored after less than 10 hours, didn't liked the mono-weapon combat at all and the map system was kinda shit.

Onestly i don't know how people can put this thing close to stuff like sotn or metroid, but different tastes and all...

Last edited:

Dthomp

Man, I hated Hollow Knight the first time I played it, but when I made myself go back it really clicked with me. My second favorite Metroidvania behind SotN.

The game needs a long first sitting to begin to get a little bit of quicker movement in the dash, but opens up so much more after that with each major move ability.

CitizenZ

Banned
Another game made by 3 sweaty dudes in a basement with zero marketing. Funny how that is the trend that is keeping the industry interesting cause it sure as hell isnt anything called AAA.

Fbh

Hollow Knight is so fucking good.
The world, the gameplay, the art direction, the bosses, the amount of content, the amazing secrets the fun lore. Not since SOTN have I have been so impressed with the willingness of devs to have awesome optional content at the risk of many players missing it. Sometimes you break a wall or get to some secret path and it's not like "oh cool a health upgrade", nah it's like a whole new optional area with a distinct look, unique enemies, bosses, etc.

The fact this game is $20 and made by like 3 guys is just crazy.

Easily one of the top 5 games of the gen for me, and also my favorite Metroidvania (let's see if Dread can dethrone it).
Hollow Knight Silksong is sitting right behind Elden Ring as my most anticipated game.

I may try it again, but it didn't click with me at all the first time I tried it on Switch. I'm honestly really picky when it comes to any Metroidvania.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Gave it two tries and keep getting annoyed with the backtracking. I usually don't mind it, but in Hollow Knights it's terrible.

Love the art style though.

mcjmetroid

It really is something special however I feel it's let down by the bench system. There is no need in my mind for it to be like dark souls on this front.

Fuz

Banned
Some bosses are a little too hard for its own good and The White Palace sucks ass, but it's a masterpiece for the ages.

Love the art style and the setting too. It's incredibly cohesive and smart.

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
2D platformers are my favourite genre but I didn't get too far with this one. I got lost and it feels so lonely and kind of boring. The getting lost part is the worst though.

A good platformer needs more than melancholic shtick. I did get to a beautiful leafy section though. I think that's where I get lost or stuck.

TonyK

I started it a couple of years ago and it didn't clicked for me so I ditched it. I gave it a second chance few weeks a go and finally I get in the game and finished it. Amazing game, I really like it.

brian0057

Banned
2D platformers are my favourite genre but I didn't get too far with this one. I got lost and it feels so lonely and kind of boring. The getting lost part is the worst though.

A good platformer needs more than melancholic shtick. I did get to a beautiful leafy section though. I think that's where I get lost or stuck.
That's because you're playing it like a typical platformer, even if it shares elements with said genre.
It's a Metroidvania. Exploration and getting lost are part of the appeal. That's why the map and compass are the first things you get and never remove them except for boss fights.

GHG

Gold Member

It's not a platformer. Exploration is the mechanic that drives the game.

Top Bottom