• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Guardians of the galaxy.

kikkis

While I was initially going to finish the game before doing LTTP, game had for some reason stopped autosaving and when I quit the game due to stuttering, I was put three chapters back. I am not really interested playing through that again so this is it for the game.

pros:

-Unlike most games banter really works most of the time and is quite funny even, and there is a lot of banter which is really impressive from the writing team.
-I like how you can move a lot during the fights, even if its not really all that necessary, or deliberate, meaning fights get kind of messy so its not really possible to move in a way that dodges anything for instance.
-Visuals were good
-Story was somewhat interesting but like said I didn't finish it so cant say for the rest of it.
-Lock on aiming wasn't necessary since, sticks only was implemented well too. I didn't use lock on aiming for base gun after first mission.

cons:

-Too many mechanics like most games these days. I didn't even notice Peter had his own abilities half way through the game, and controls to get there were quite cumbersome to boot (LS press). I didnt really bother using any other abilities than the defaults, just using abilities when the cooldowns ran out seemed the best strategy, so nothing really involving.
-Perks were dull to get.
-Healing items only healed a little, so sometimes I just had to give up on fights if my health was low, no point to continue.
-Too long checkpoints, lots of repetition because of it.
-Not any challenge or back and forth with enemies, just keep the triggers pressed until they die.

Overall decent game, in many ways better than mass effect, but I was still hoping for more involving gameplay, even if the rest of it was good.

jaysius

Banned
cons:

-Too many mechanics like most games these days. I didn't even notice Peter had his own abilities half way through the game, and controls to get there were quite cumbersome to boot (LS press). I didnt really bother using any other abilities than the defaults, just using abilities when the cooldowns ran out seemed the best strategy, so nothing really involving.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Maybe you should go back to Avengers, that game has very few mechanics, you can just mash and win.

The game was great, the interaction with the characters during battle was great fun.

There were many different times when there were unique kills for particular enemies, a button prompt would appear over said enemy's head.

I'm sorry but your "too complex" for this game really mind fucked me good. This kind of bullshit feedback is going to lead to awful and basic games.

Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

There are many many many awful and basic games, if you find a game is "too complex" in the future than that game is probably not for you, or you just didn't read the tutorials correctly. This game SLOWLY introduced all the mechanics into the game.

Last edited:

kikkis

Maybe you should go back to Avengers, that game has very few mechanics, you can just mash and win.

The game was great, the interaction with the characters during battle was great fun.

There were many different times when there were unique kills for particular enemies, a button prompt would appear over said enemy's head.

I'm sorry but your "too complex" for this game really mind fucked me good. This kind of bullshit feedback is going to lead to awful and basic games.

There are many many many awful and basic games, if you find a game is "too complex" in the future than that game is probably not for you, or you just didn't read the tutorials correctly. This game SLOWLY introduced all the mechanics into the game.
There is just a lot of mechanics that don't add anything to the fun factor or even feel necessary. There for they are pointless ultimately. Like the Y + B attack, or huddle mechanic, like they are there but how cares.

Robb

Gold Member
It seems like a decent adaption of the movies. I quit after the intro level, mainly couldn’t stand all the constant banter and the game mechanics and script felt super cheesy to me.

Last edited:

Amiga

It seems like a decent adaption of the movies. I quit after the intro level, mainly couldn’t stand all the constant banter and the game mechanics and script felt super cheesy to me.
The story and characters are better than the movies IMOO. give it a chance it gets better. Play it on easy if you must.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Played it GP. I thought it was good but not as good as the reviews suggested. Like all corridors linear games I end up losing interest very quickly.

I’ma few hours in now and stopped playing.
It does a lot of good stuff - characterisations, VO, art is good. Enemies are a bit generic and ultimately I guess the gameplay was too for me.

But I am dead chuffed that they didn’t go down the MTX route and I’m also happy so many people really liked it. I think that sends a good positive message to the games industry. Unfortunately that’s completely undone by the fact it didn’t sell well. If only this was the avengers game

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
story, characters and the soundtrack were great. gameplay was poopoo caca. almost ruined the whole experience for me. The ship fights were worse than poopoo.

Hydroxy

I loved it, action adventure story focused game with great characters, fun story and great humor. Solid 8/10. Would love a sequel.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

take it easy.
I don't remember anything too much in this game in particular but I agree than many games have way too much useless mechanics like crafting, leveling of everything and tons of system.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Amazing game marred by terrible marketing and it's unfortunate association with that shitty Avengers game tangentially.

Thankfully Game Pass is giving it a second lease of life and a lot of people are experiencing it for the first time.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Amazing game marred by terrible marketing and it's unfortunate association with that shitty Avengers game tangentially.

Thankfully Game Pass is giving it a second lease of life and a lot of people are experiencing it for the first time.
Thankfully I bought and played it only month after the release and it was fantastic.
But I really did though it is a 4 player coop avengers like game before people here told me otherwise. Like wtf was that marketing

Denton

I just watched this 80 minute interview with two lead writers on some completely unknown random youtube channel and loved it. You can see how much love and talent these people poured in the game and the interviewer was so good at talking about scenes in the game it made me want to replay it instantly.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Bought it due to gaf excitement.. It started out well but became boring and repetitive after a while, even the banter. Just like you I found the combat system to be kinda superfluous. I can easily understand why people love the game though.

Pelta88

I got it on PS premium. It's a solid game and visually impressive. Also hilarious with Drax's assessments of situations being the stand out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The only gripe for me, personally, is that Peter and Rocket sound too similar. Often I've found myself not being able to tell which of the two characters are speaking.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Enjoyed it. Looks great at times but the gameplay becomes stale quick. The humour and acting are spot on.

GreenAlien

I just started this and I need to know.. is scanning necessary/useful? Because it really slows gameplay to a crawl and those first few scan targets are mind-numbingly boring..

Relique

I just started this and I need to know.. is scanning necessary/useful? Because it really slows gameplay to a crawl and those first few scan targets are mind-numbingly boring..
Not really. You use it a few times for puzzles like to trace a power line with X-ray vision to reroute power but those instances are rare. You shouldn't need them for general combat gameplay.

ClosBSAS

It's good but I can't finish it. I get fed up with the enemies and uninstall. Once a month I reinstall to retry..but there's something wrong with it that just doesn't satisfy me.

wondermega

Really good game (of the sort which I nearly never am interested in, nor play) which I bought on the strength of gaf discussion and podcast, uh, discussion too. Haven't touched it in ages, but would like to get back to it someday soon. As I said "not really my type of game" play-wise but the writing is so sharp and the whole thing lovingly crafted that it's hard to just let it go - and I'd prefer to play it then just watch on youtube.

It was good, very solid 8.5 game. Gameplay was the only thing lacking but everything else, story, characters, world's were great.

Gamerguy84

Have it in the backlog right now but did look at it. Looks impressive graphically though and heard good things about it.

Lady Jane

Banned
I’d argued that if I can barely make it through the intro and have to try to make it all the way to chapter 4 before it ‘might’ get good, it’s not worth my time.

Glad you guys enjoyed it though!
I have the same mentality with shows.

"It gets better at the end of season 1!"

I am not going to watch 12 hours of sub-par content just to see if I like the good parts. Same with games. It's the dev's job to pull me in the first couple of hours. I don't have an obligation to give them extra chances. I'm happy if someone enjoyed a game but I do waive off the "just keep playing" talking points.

Last edited:
Top Bottom